• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

Are you an indie game dev? A musician? A writer? An artist? A beekeeper? A grower of magic beans? Or do you want to tell people about your Kickstarter or someone else's Kickstarter or any Kickstarter?

This is where you can share the fruits of your creative labor, and Kickstarters, with the world. Or at least with the Double Fine community.

Feel free to direct people to material created by you or people you know, or ask for feedback, or even share your Kickstarter--but if you're going to be asking for money, you should have something to show for yourself! Going forward, folks who divebomb the forums with new threads that are solely marketing pitches are liable to have their threads closed.

If this thread takes off, it might become a sticky.

So I'm working on a point n' click adventure and I've come into a lot of problems that have been making it kind of impossible to make a game, because we don't have the proper engine and I don't own Photoshop or a drawing tablet for arting. But the game has mostly been written and we have enough experience to program it.

http://www.indiegogo.com/YenYurki

pCkTD.png

Okay let me take a stab at this myself to try and set a tone.

One of the things I've done for several years with a few other friends in the video game industry is a podcast called

Idle Thumbs

It's a weekly video game podcast that tends to be a mix of fairly in-depth discussion about games and ridiculous goofy insanity. We started in 2008 and ran for a couple years before I moved from San Francisco to Boston to work at Irrational games. Now that I'm back in San Francisco and working at Double Fine, we figured we'd start it back up again.

We actually recently did our own Kickstarter (it's over now so we're no longer soliciting backers) that launched a week after Double Fine's, completely coincidentally. We thought it was going to hurt our chances, but we ended up doing much better than we expected. We're currently in the process of developing a new website and setting up a recording studio for the cast. The site will host our video game podcast and a new book club podcast we're starting, as well as an excellent existing podcast by some other game industry folks called Three Moves Ahead, all about strategy games.

Our current website is mainly an archive of our past episodes, but hopefully we'll be relaunching soon with the updated site. http://www.idlethumbs.net/

Hello Guys!

I'm from a small company in Argentina and we love Adventure Games too!

We made a small production of a Sci-fi adventure and we would like to share it with you.

The game is completely free for download.

800x600_wp_04.jpg

I hope you like it

The URL for download:

http://www.reversion-eljuego.com.ar/

Thanks a lot!

3f Team.

(Merged this post to this thread - DFJustin)

Okay let me take a stab at this myself to try and set a tone.

One of the things I've done for several years with a few other friends in the video game industry is a podcast called

Idle Thumbs

It's a weekly video game podcast that tends to be a mix of fairly in-depth discussion about games and ridiculous goofy insanity. We started in 2008 and ran for a couple years before I moved from San Francisco to Boston to work at Irrational games. Now that I'm back in San Francisco and working at Double Fine, we figured we'd start it back up again.

We actually recently did our own Kickstarter (it's over now so we're no longer soliciting backers) that launched a week after Double Fine's, completely coincidentally. We thought it was going to hurt our chances, but we ended up doing much better than we expected. We're currently in the process of developing a new website and setting up a recording studio for the cast. The site will host our video game podcast and a new book club podcast we're starting, as well as an excellent existing podcast by some other game industry folks called Three Moves Ahead, all about strategy games.

Our current website is mainly an archive of our past episodes, but hopefully we'll be relaunching soon with the updated site. http://www.idlethumbs.net/

anyone interested in being in the video game industry or just games in general should listen to this, by the way. super insightful.

I'm an amateur musician and burgeoning song writer / singer - I mostly have instrumentals but I'm writing more actual songs nowadays.

on4pOMBNBkM

I have a couple of podcasts. See my sig and click that junk.

One is my buddy and I telling stories and hanging out. It's mostly nerd commentary on current issues or cool stuff or games that are coming out.

The other is an episode by episode discussion of The Andy Griffith Show. Yeah... we're not old. Like 30 and under not old.

I also have a couple of records from the last few years that's on iTunes, but even I don't listen to them, so meh. Meh meh meh. (Hollywood Black, The Western Civilization)

My goal is to get you Double Finers to like the BC!N facebook page. You don't even have to listen. I just want to feel awesome about something.

sigh.

I am a musician and artist of sorts.

Here is a little art

despair2_0.jpg

2.jpg

face1.jpg

and a little music

I also arrange music for solo guitar

Hi there.

I dabble in the world of game design occasionally with friends, and we've just been through another Pyweek last week, that I thought I'd like to share with you. (Pyweek, that is.)

Pyweek is a programming and game design challenge where the aim is to make a video game in under a week, using the python programming language. You can find out more here:

http://www.pyweek.org/

I thought people might be interested, because a lot of these forums are now full of people interested in game design (due to the kickstarter malarky.)

-----

-----

The game we made this time was called "Heads and Tales" and it's an RPG about being a mad scientist. Basically the game is a pokemon-style game, but you can chop up your monsters and swap all the limbs and pieces around to make all sorts of new creatures. Like this rocketshark!

rocketshark.png

You can get the game here:

http://www.pyweek.org/e/nonstop_nidoran/

(Oh, and I am responsible for the art, that was by bit.)

I have made an adventure game called Frasse and the Peas of Kejick. It was originally released in 2006 (wow! I didn't realise that it's been that long - I really need to get my next game going), but then I spent a lot of time porting the game engine from Windows to Mac, which means that it now runs on all three major operating systems (yes, Linux has a port too). So to celebrate that it now works on Mac too, I made a special edition of the game that features voice acting and improved music recorded with actual instruments (and some minor graphical tweaks).

It's not quite a masterpiece, but I am proud of the game. I haven't received many comments on the special edition, but the original version got a bunch of reviews (even from big sites such as Adventure Gamers and Adventure-Archiv), and all of those are positive. (Links to all reviews of it that I'm aware of are on my site.)

Kabukibear: Does that capo hold sentimental value?

No? I don't understand what you're getting at.

Well i just noticed your capo and felt like recommending something more along the lines of a G7th performance capo, or a Shubb. I'm not trying to sell something, but i just noticed yours and thought you may be interested. Kyser are fine too, but i dislike the fact that you can't adjust the pressure, and i actually switched from Shubb to G7th, because they (in my opinion) are just the best (though also the priciest).

http://www.shubb.com/

http://www.g7th.com/

Yeah, I just checked out the g7th. Seems nice but I can't bring myself to pay $60 for a capo. The one I have was $5 and works well with what I use it for.

So what you're saying is that the capo is fine? Or as they say in Italian: Da Capo al Fine. :P

Oh the cheese...the CHEESE.

So what you're saying is that the capo is fine? Or as they say in Italian: Da Capo al Fine. :P

Lol'ed.

Well i guess it's always a matter of what you expect and what you want to pay.

Did i ever show any of my pictures here btw?

13b.jpg

t1.jpg

spinne-alt.jpg

jh2.jpg

Here was a work in progress that was eventually abandoned. I know her expression is a little odd...the kid had the weirdest smirk on her face and I eventually abandoned the painting because I just could not capture the expression. Ah well, it was a good practice for color and all that.

julie1.jpg

julie2.JPG

julie3.jpg

julie7.JPG

Lol'ed.

Well...it's a capo. I expect it to hold my strings down. Unless it's a 3rd hand capo or a spider capo, I don't see any real reason to spend that kind of money.

Lol'ed.

Well...it's a capo. I expect it to hold my strings down. Unless it's a 3rd hand capo or a spider capo, I don't see any real reason to spend that kind of money.

You should however be aware that some of the cheaper capos that have rubber on the backside can ruin your guitar's finish! I know several people who purchased particular brands and had this happen because they left the capo on the guitar too long. I don't use them much myself and still haven't been able to write a song requiring one - maybe eventually; I'm more about alternative tunings these days.

You should however be aware that some of the cheaper capos that have rubber on the backside can ruin your guitar's finish! I know several people who purchased particular brands and had this happen because they left the capo on the guitar too long. I don't use them much myself and still haven't been able to write a song requiring one - maybe eventually; I'm more about alternative tunings these days.

I like to use a capo for lots of different reasons. Sometimes even if a song doesn't necessarily need a capo, the fingering of the song is a little bit easier when played on higher frets. (Though I also sometimes wonder if I should try a guitar with a slightly smaller neck on it.)

But sometimes, even if the song doesn't require a capo and calls for standard tuning, I just think it sounds nicer at a higher range. Especially the more slow, airy sorts of songs, which I tend to gravitate toward.

I like to use a capo for lots of different reasons. Sometimes even if a song doesn't necessarily need a capo, the fingering of the song is a little bit easier when played on higher frets. (Though I also sometimes wonder if I should try a guitar with a slightly smaller neck on it.)

But sometimes, even if the song doesn't require a capo and calls for standard tuning, I just think it sounds nicer at a higher range. Especially the more slow, airy sorts of songs, which I tend to gravitate toward.

I love the sound of a guitar with the capo high on the neck, I just haven't been able to nail down anything that I can formulate in to an instrumental or song - so far it's just improvisation.

I also tend to move around the guitar a lot and the capo would limit me - it's like 12 fret gutiars, I could only play a few of my instrumentals. But I can't dis them, I just can't use them effectively to create anything - yet.

Generally you don't need to worry about it if you take the capo off once in a while, as most use rubber pads.

I use capos mostly in arranging. Generally I find a song that I like, but realize the key it's in may make it difficult to play, so I use a capo to make the fingerings easier. Either that or I am trying to duplicate a delicate harp sound. With a classical guitar, a capo high up on the neck creates a nice effect.

Also, a trick is to put the guitar into drop D and then use the capo to transpose the guitar into the key of the piece. Because of the usual rules of music theory, if it's not a strange piece, it makes it much easier to play.

Cool pics! What's the first one (if anything)?

It's simply one of my lenses with light shined on it, and then photographed. Pretty ain't it?

Capo:

Must have been reaaally iffy rubber they used then. Issues with ruined finishes mostly occur with nitro finishes, personally i'm a fan of shellac, though it is a pain/expensive, but it's very beautiful, easy to clean and it's rather thin and therefore will get you a better tone. Well, many capos have the issue that they mess with the tuning, or they are slow/complicated to use, the G7th for example gets around most of the issues, since you adjust the pressure every time you put it on, it also works with one hand and is in place within seconds, and i can store it on the headstock.

I also love doing stuff with wood.

vers2-1.jpg

4-1-1.jpg

(It's a gear of a clock i'm making - it's plywood.)

I draw stuff

Tell me, would you buy art from me if I offered it? I art for fun mostly, but soon enough I'll be doing alot of it for college so some work for the ol' creative muscle would be good. Getting a bit of money on the side is nice too.

Some of my nicer stuff:

HRtMu.jpg

LsJb1.jpg