• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

Here's a slightly tweaked version of my last review. Not many changes - I just felt the need to go into more detail over one or two of the plot holes near the end (which I really should have done in the original video, but hindsight is always 20/20).

xWR6SqRdbCs

And here's the latest one. Should really link these in my sig, but whatever.

3XQSdhvA9hE

ok whoa I guess this is a good place to touch bases with wow

I haven't used this forum in like over 5 years in this insane, this place was like my home back in 2009, I think I actually logged in not too long ago maybe like a year ago I'm not even sure

ANYWAY

I actually run a business now! And I'd love to see you guys help out if you can!

83fYXahgHThet923O7VAoD13xA9lYUlsT4DhOmAujAkFYUcCtx5BlYzNc7TrSNfz_large_2.png

As it says were a community of artist who strive to better represent the said communities!

It's currently run by me and my friend Mackenzie.

You can learn more about us >>here<<

I also run a webcomic through this publisher called: Extraordinary Adventures of Kai'pa and Dacava which you can check out too! I have 5 chapters of the comic already finished!

Thanks for your time!

Now you can finally see why I was so excited about the Sailor Moon transformation music!

(oh and I review a lousy Avengers cartoon or something)

yvMP4IXp1VA

I'd never spotted this thread before, but here's something I've been up to \o/

Last week, I released a demo of a first person/text adventure hybrid thing that I've been working on called Winter's Wake. In it, you play an adventurer in fantasy land, who becomes trapped in a snowy mountain pass. It's been a lot of fun to work on (I haven't done much creative writing in a long time and have primarily been doing art and coding lately, so it's an exciting shift in direction), and I'm vaguely hoping to have it somewhere close to completed this year.

64 bit builds of the demo for Linux, Mac and Windows can be found on itch.io and IndieDB.

winters_wake_poster_concept_2015-07-28_small.png

Earlier this year, I also made a couple of point and click adventures using the SLUDGE engine (Above The Waves an Robin's Rescue), and then wrote about my experiences here.

I really enjoyed Winter's Wake and Above The Waves!

Cheers! :D

I consider them both works in progress. I had wanted to have a revamped version of Above The Waves done by the first week in September, but I just don't think I'm going to be able to squeeze that in.

soltyscover.png

This one's a little bit less niche than the last, but not by much. Soltys for Dreamcast, using ScummVM, in an image with a built in readme on how to play the game and a walkthrough.

soltysscreen.png

DCEvolution Presents Soltys

Hey, I finally finished my review of Daikatana. It's over an hour. Get ready, bitches.

6WWqs-PP_yU

Awesome review, but I glitches up my phone, so I had a notification for 12 hours saying I was watching it.

Hey, I finally finished my review of Daikatana. It's over an hour. Get ready, bitches.

6WWqs-PP_yU

cool vid, but yeah, it is a bit long. i think the sweet spot for this kind of thing is more around 20-30 minutes. look at guys like jontron or angry video game nerd. also maybe you did the sarcastic "design is law" line just like a little too much. on a technical note, the game audio seems good but your voice over sounds a little bit tinny. not sure if it's your computer or your mic.

that said, i liked how you gave a little bit of background info about john romero and ion storm when appropriate, it makes for a more interesting story. i think your comedic timing's pretty good too. also i like how you played through all the levels and investigated little quirky plot holes like how your female sidekick magically got bit by the plague rat or whatever. anyway maybe just try to edit down your next video a little more aggressively and you'll be golden.

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I freely admit this one is long. Reeeeeeally long. The problem is... what would I cut? I really wanted to showcase everything wrong with this game, and since there's a LOT wrong with this game, I kinda needed to go in-depth with it. And to be honest, I think the hour flies by pretty quick, so...

That said, this IS a one-off and I most definitely won't be doing anything this long again.

As for the audio... it's my mic. Or rather, the lack thereof - my budget camera doesn't let me use an external mic, so I'm reliant on the on-board one, which isn't great. I do what I can in Audacity, but yeah, it's not great. The only solution is to buy a new camera, and since these reviews are just for fun, I don't really see the point.

I had Airscape's programmer and one of the artists drop in on a game stream I was doing on the weekend. I had some audio issues (which I stupidly ignored), so there's are some quality issues, but it was too good a chat to not edit it up (97 minutes down from just over 3 hours) and publish it.

uROY1dq4P0E

I had Airscape's programmer and one of the artists drop in on a game stream I was doing on the weekend. I had some audio issues (which I stupidly ignored), so there's are some quality issues, but it was too good a chat to not edit it up (97 minutes down from just over 3 hours) and publish it.

uROY1dq4P0E

Nice! I have that game wish listed. Looks amazeballs.

Nice! I have that game wish listed. Looks amazeballs.

Zomg it is. It's super charming and enjoyably challenging the whole way through. I love the pants of it. Or I would. If it had pants.

Edit: Oh, there's a demo (for Windows at least. Mac and Linux demo builds should be landing soon from what I understand). Totally check that out.

tintfg-screen1small.png

[strong]This is No Time for Games[/strong] is a modern point and click adventure game currently being made by us at [strong]Not Quite Black and White[/strong]. We're launching a Kickstarter campaign soon and are trying to let as many people know about it before we launch as possible.

We're offering early backer rewards, likely to only be accessible to people on our mailing list, which you can sign up to [strong]here[/strong].

To find out more check out [strong]ThisisNoTimeforGames.com[/strong], befriend us on [strong]Facebook[/strong] or talk to us about adventure games and stuff on [strong]Twitter[/strong].

We really want to hear from people who are into adventure games about the kinds of rewards you'd like to see in our Kickstarter and also get feedback on our artwork.

tintfg-screen2small.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Romano

[em][strong]Not Quite Black and White[/strong][/em]

A couple of weeks ago, I released an unboxing video of the Planetary Annihilation backer rewards I received a while back.

ogpgPfssyYI

Oh, and also relevant, I did an unboxing of the IndieBox's limited edition of Brutal Legend a few months ago :D

OsWkNlsiWRs

Oh Zod... Why? Why have I done this?

...mercy upon me...

...I reviewed FoodFight.

X0rwfbaNCLM

I had Expand's developer Chris Johnson gatecrash one of my streams and had a really fun and interesting chat with him. The Youtube description has detailed discussion topics with timestamps.

Expand is this minimalist game that I think straddles the elusive boundary of "high art" (not a term that I like using, but I want to keep things short ^_^ ) and a commercially viable, functional and accessible experience.

FqBUSkUYwys

I also helped identify and fix a multimonitor bug :)

Edit: Oh, and I shot this masterpiece yesterday.

CRGGY6WUwAEYcDb.jpg

I did a Steam review of Bedlam (the FPS one) which I reprint here for your amusement.

-x-

In brief: A gimmicky idea that doesn't work and should have stayed a novel.

In boxers: Bedlam is an FPS that explores the idea of jumping between different video games that have come out over the years - specifically First Person Shooters, though a couple of others are thrown in later on - and seeing how art styles have evolved over the years. Oh, and there's a plot about being stuck in a video game world that's being destroyed by glitches and stuff, but whatever.

The biggest problem with this is that although the art styles are really fun to see in how they differ, the gameplay remains exactly the same throughout. It almost never varies no matter which game you're in, whether it be the Quake 2 knock-off, the WW2 Call of Duty knock-off, the Left 4 Dead knock-off, the Planetside knock-off, the Fantasy MMO knock-off, the Civilization knock-off or the Unreal Tournament knock-off. It's almost entirely consistant throughout, and it's a HUGE missed opportunity. There are a few levels which deviate from this (knock-offs of Pac-Man, Space Invaders and... uh, a generic Shmup), but they're short and barely have time to register before you're back into standard shooting.

...oh, did you notice I mentioned knock-offs? Yeah, you're playing through games 'inspired' by classic games of the genre. This wouldn't be an issue if all the other characters you talk to over the radio didn't mention games that actually exist. They're off playing through Rayman, GTA and Lego Batman, while you're stuck in... generic fantasy land. The references just make you feel like you're missing out on what could have been.

"What could have been" is a perfect phrase for this game, to be honest. It's full of missed opportuties that would have made things infinitely more enjoyable. Being able to use guns from one game in another is neat, but there's no ammo for them so you just won't bother. The AI is consistantly frustrating - they're always amazingly accurate with their guns and as a result you'll constantly get shot before you even know they're there. The sections in between levels are just sort of broken platforms in space which feature some VERY questionable platforming (don't jump on the tiny platforms, you'll fall right through them). And every single section is generic, repetitive and drags on for far too long.

If there are positives to be had, then it's in the visdual department. The game LOOKS perfect. Every single style of game is fantastically put together and when they do bleed together it usually looks pretty neat. The audio, on the other hand, is much more mixed. The lead voice actress is pretty good (and Scottish, which is a pleasant change), as is the the titular Bedlam, and the villains are suitably menacing. The other characters... not so much. Their acting leaves something to be desired and never really works, so you're pulled out of every conversation they have.

I tired of this game remarkably quickly and by the end I was practically on my knees BEGGING for it to be over. The game has a neat concept but the poor execution and overlong levels means it vastly outstays its welcome. And the absolute kicker is that the game ends on a sodding "Hey, here's a portal, let's see where it leads" cliffhanger. Because, y'know, I wanna play MORE of this.

Maybe if the developers actually tighten the floaty controls and make the different games FEEL different, I could recommend this. As it is though... I really can't.

Oh, and screw the snipers who turn invisible. Pricks.

Remember my 'Blast Week' videos?

Yeah, I'm doing them again.

BUT BETTER.

_KBBXIdJs1Y

You weren't kidding when you said you had all the Indiana Jones novels