DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

The past few months have been insanely busy for me. I've lost track of the stuff that I've pumped out, but here's something fun.

Cube_Whales2015-08-29.png

I made templates for these cubewhales (blue whales, beluga whales and orcas) prior to a convention and gave anybody who brought one that they'd printed out and assembled themselves a free badge \o/

cubewhales_2015_08_31.jpg

Well, I was commissioned to write the music for a small mobile game called Space Wrestler coming out pretty soon. It has old school graphics and so the guy wanted a similarly old school soundtrack for it, mostly short, non-looped pieces. Here are the main 3!

Heh. Surprised you can even make those out.

I recognize the title lettering and cover art on the book spines.

Uploaded this like two hours ago, then forgot to share it. Oops.

w37UMAWTCfs

Still counts though!

Day 5. Would have been up sooner, but the internet hates me tonight, or something.

I'll be skipping tomorrow, for the record. We'll all be busy anyway, so...

ZY-W2PuDYgU

I swear, I was going to upload this one last night, but then I... uh... fell asleep.

eHyqI7VTuxQ

I published a new Cheese Talks interview yesterday, this time chatting with Another World's creator Eric Chahi.

Another World (released as Out of this World in North America and Outer World in Japan) has been ported to over 25 platforms and with its distinctive and (at the time) groundbreaking presentation and gameplay, has had a lasting and recognised legacy (for anybody looking to learn more, there's also a Cheese Talks article on the game itself).

In spite of having the air of a big budget title about it, Another World feels like a very personal project, and is one of the few broadly celebrated games that are primarily the work of one individual.

When a prominent game has been around for 20 years, I imagine it can be hard to find something new to say about it. With this interview, I've tried to ask a mix of technical, personal and trivia questions that I hope don't feel like they're re-treading things that have been said over and over again already.

In particular, I'm glad to have touched on Éric's pronunciation/spelling of "Matsuba", and the original purpose of the non-aggressive crab-like creature seen in early releases of the game.

That said, the most exciting thing to hear is that with the conclusion of his work on a volcano simulation project earlier this year (vulcanology has been a long standing passion for him), Éric is hoping to next focus on making a new game. He was unable to share details, but speculating based on other comments with in the interview, I'm speculating that it's likely to be a systems oriented game, involving learning and discovery of mechanics.

I had originally intended to keep this interview under wraps until the article on player impressions of the game is ready, but extra visibility for my research and the opportunity to coincide with the current crowdfunding campaign to translate and print and English translation of Éric's biography feel more worthwhile.

English interviews (particularly ones presented as text) with non-native English speakers pose an extra challenge beyond the normal editing/flow hurdles. In this case, Éric asked me to assist with tidying his grammar and spelling - on the surface, this sounds simple, but preserving the nuance, tone and most importantly speech patterns/writing styles can be tricky!

Wow, you got to talk to Chahi! Ace interview, cool to see talk about Matsuba (I always heard it as Matsaruba) and the arena guy!

Looking forward to the fan recollection article ;)

Wow, you got to talk to Chahi! Ace interview, cool to see talk about Matsuba (I always heard it as Matsaruba) and the arena guy!

Looking forward to the fan recollection article ;)

Thanks! I was a little worried it'd come off as a bit stiff (we weren't really able to wrangle follow up questions, so it feels less conversational than my other interviews), but people seem to be liking it.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming article as well. I'm still a way off my minimum target, but I think I'll get there before the current deadline expires. Chasing down responses has been more work than I imagined - who knew that a 20+ year old game from before the internet was commonplace wouldn't have a current and active community full of players hunting for new Another World related stuff? :D

So, you probably saw me talking about ScummGen. I finally got myself familiarized with the engine by polishing up the ScummGen test game, Indiana Jones and the Call of Thunder.

The original team (Dominik Haslinger, Jens Doblies and Sebastien Ronsse) did the majority of the work. It was originally intended to be a much longer game, but it was cancelled. I finished up the ice cavern sequence so that it could be released as a completely playable game as I thought it would be a shame if no one got to play it. Their sourcecode was playable up to the point where you complete the mechanism in the cavern.

Here are the changes and fixes that I made to that source code:

-Replaced LucasArts logo with a ScummGen logo.

-Made a few grammar corrections to the original script.

-Created icons for inventory items that lacked them (all instances of the stones and the gas can).

-Programmed an if/then statement regarding the gas can that was referenced but not implemented in the source.

-Fix the mechanism puzzle to require both objects, as before it was possible to complete it with only one object.

-Add dialog to facilitate the change in the mechanism puzzle.

-Fix the lighting so that the cavern stays lit when you move to the cavern entrance and back.

-Enable the usage of the item used to exit the cavern, as referenced but not implemented in the source.

-Change description of the macguffin as it was originally used as a joke related to the game being unfinished (but kept it humourous to suit the tone of the original).

-Add dialog necessary for the ending sequence.

-Add end screen.

You can download it at my itch.io page if you want to try it out. It includes the sourcecode. It doesn't include an executable though, as it needs ScummVM in order to run (and I figured I'd cut out the middle man and just let people run ScummVM on whatever system they wish to run it on). It's detected in ScummVM as Day of the Tentacle.

I misread that as Indiana Jones and the God of Thunder. Thor's hammer as a McGuffin?

Shameless plug because I was hugely inspired by Double Fine's work on this. The amount of time I spent watching the DFA Documentary is ridiculous. You guys were incredible inspiration.

Anyway, over the past few months, I've had the great opportunity to work on a Saturday Morning Point & Click Adventure Game about time travelling kids and pooping birds.

Also Tesla's in there somewhere.

Porta-Pilots! Plunging Through Time!

Here's a sample!

tumblr_nz411aRDjm1us53vdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nz3yxwoqhA1us53vdo1_1280.jpg

You can see more of it here:

http://polycount.com/discussion/162113/porta-pilots-plunging-through-time-art-dump#latest

If you enjoy the art or adventure games with silly writing, please consider supporting us! You might end up seeing more episodes in the future!

Thanks. :)

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aetnent.history.android.kids.PortaPilots

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BZIUXA

iOS: http://https//itunes.apple.com/us/app/porta-pilots-plunging-through/id1038193739?ls=1&mt=8

I don't have anything as impressive as my own game, but BOY OH BOY DO I HAVE AN ART BLOG!

It's right here, and I take commissions, too!

A quick preview of some of my stuff- I've got some other big stuff, too, which I'll just link to, but check out this stuff I've made!

tumblr_n95cjsoDOF1swlmkqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nupb9upgNy1swlmkqo1_500.png

tumblr_nvu79vKlVt1swlmkqo1_500.png

Aaaaaaaand here's a comic I made about anxiety problems I've been having lately!

Hope you guys like my stuff!

The second Idle Thumbs #WizardJam game jam is about to wrap up: http://itch.io/jam/winter-wizard-jam

Here's my entry, an interactive comic:

http://timegentleman.itch.io/blue-hag-christmas

Some provisos:

As the engine (by JonKristinsson!) is WIP, there may be some weirdly placed and spaced stuff. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out the intent of the panel if this happens.

I ran out of time to really polish all the art, so there are some wonky bits here and there. All part of the charm!

There's a comic within the comic that you can play if you like and that you'll get many chances to bail from. I recommend having at least a quick dip into it.

If the display size isn't great, try the full-screen button!

I released a 10 day prototype of a cute game today that I've been making in the Godot engine \o/

In Super Happy Fun Sun, players guide a small sun and must orbit sleeping planets to wake them while dealing with gravitational forces and inertia.

shfs_splash_2015_12_18_675.png

screenshot2015-12-18_22-23-30_675.jpg

Download for Linux, Mac and Windows can be found on itch.io

I did another video thingy.

ML4WhoIgff0

And yes, that's my Day of the Tentacle poster, signed by Tim Schafer. *smug face*

I made a game for Myst Jam called Memories of Myst, which re-creates some moments and scenes from Myst in the first person/text adventure hybrid engine I've been working on.

It's also got "experimental" VR support on Mac and Linux.

memories_title_small.png

Hi Everybody,

I posted here a year ago about our game, A Quiver of Crows, when it was on Steam Greenlight. Since then it's been greenlit (greenlit in 20 days - thanks to anybody here who voted for us!) and we finally finished our press preview build. If any Double Fine peoples or press are interested in previewing or let's playing the game, please contact us at crows@sheado.net

A Quiver of Crows is a twin-stick shmup with ragdoll physics in which you play as a crow battling demons and ghouls. Here's our latest developer let's play:

oHzAMlcJP1U

And a lovely gif!

camera.gif

Thanks for letting me yammer about our project!!

:-) :lol: :cheese: :ahhh: :P :coolsmile: :-)

Aw man, my silly little video talking about the first hour or two of Alundra pales in comparison to THAT.

oEdGGPEVJVE

coolsome should enjoy this one.

MikeOwUZRms

I never had an issue with Ape Escape's camera control's so I'm going to burn you in efergy now for not liking everything about Ape Escape.

Also

BpKIhMrCAAA6P_a.png:large

I've been feeling nostalgic for my old websites, and searched archive.org to bring them back. One of them was a translation group called Penguin Translations. I translated Penguin Kun Wars for the Famicom from Japanese to English (it's not as big a deal as it sounds, as it was just the title screen, and was used to introduce myself to romhacking). The last update I made for it was back in 2002.

For some reason, my patch messed the game up on most modern emulators, so Spinner8 from Romhacking.net fixed the problems with an unofficial patch in 2007.

As the unofficial patch had to be patched on top of the official patch, I decided to make a new patch that combined Spinner8's fixes with my translation patch. Hopefully I didn't break things again by doing that.

My translation patch can be found at the updated Penguin Translations site here. If you do decide to try the patch out, let me know if it works for you, since this patch is meant to reduce headaches by not having people need to patch twice. Hopefully I didn't cause more headaches by breaking the patch again...

Hi Everybody,

I posted here a year ago about our game, A Quiver of Crows, when it was on Steam Greenlight. Since then it's been greenlit (greenlit in 20 days - thanks to anybody here who voted for us!) and we finally finished our press preview build. If any Double Fine peoples or press are interested in previewing or let's playing the game, please contact us at crows@sheado.net

A Quiver of Crows is a twin-stick shmup with ragdoll physics in which you play as a crow battling demons and ghouls. Here's our latest developer let's play:

oHzAMlcJP1U

And a lovely gif!

camera.gif

Oh, hello! I've had this wishlisted on Steam for months. =D

And a lovely gif!

camera.gif

Oh, hello! I've had this wishlisted on Steam for months. =D

It looks pretty cool :)

Earlier this month, I published a collection of short (short for me anyway) thoughts on games I finished last year including Airscape, Apotheon, Assault Android Cactus, The Beginner's Guide, Broken Age, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Enough, Expand, Hand of Fate, Invisible Inc., The Magic Circle, MASSIVE CHALICE, Murder, Ninja Pizza Girl, Outland, Parallax, Psychonauts, Puddle, Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut, Shovel Knight, Civilization: Beyond Earth, The Stanley Parable, The Stanley Parable Demonstration, StarCraft 2 and Violett.

I also made a Firewatch guide that covers all the collectable books in the game. I'm planning to do one that focuses on wildlife as well, but there are a few bits and pieces I need to nail down (like the full list of turtle spawn points and whether there is a bear den or not).

I also made a Firewatch guide that covers all the collectable books in the game. I'm planning to do one that focuses on wildlife as well, but there are a few bits and pieces I need to nail down (like the full list of turtle spawn points and whether there is a bear den or not).

I heard a rumor that there are some people doing a firewatch "slow play", where they can only complete one Firewatch day per real time day.

Which is funny, because as I recall, a couple of those days are like 30 seconds long, lol.

I heard a rumor that there are some people doing a firewatch "slow play", where they can only complete one Firewatch day per real time day.

Which is funny, because as I recall, a couple of those days are like 30 seconds long, lol.

Ha ha, that sounds great. There's something to be said for letting the events of each day settle. I'd imagine that that sort of playthrough would be enjoyable. I wonder if anybody's leaving the appropriate number of days' gap :D

So far as I've discovered, day 34 (which only occurs if you steal everybody's supplies) is the only sub minute day. Depending on dialogue choices, I think Day 9 (sunset sandwiches) or Day 64 (fire naming) would be the next shortest, but they're both still more than a minute, if I recall correctly.