DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

479 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I've made a mini-album of those so called 'chipped tunes'

Most of them are from a game I've been working on in my spare time for a few years and is nearly ready. 

The rest are just ones I wanted to include. 

It's called F F B B E P and it's here.

https://kestrelpi.bandcamp.com/album/f-f-b-b-e-p

Hey, very nice work here. Different from the normal qualities of chiptune music (if that's a thing). It was something different and I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Hey, very nice work here. Different from the normal qualities of chiptune music (if that's a thing). It was something different and I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I would say my style is probably a bit older school than what most people are going for in chiptune music nowadays. Often the unstated goal is to be very technically impressive with a limited set of sounds, and so they'll pull out all sorts of tricks to do interesting things with those sounds. I admire that kind of work but it's not really what I'm going for here - I'm much more influenced by the NES music I listened to growing up if you listen to soundtracks like Mega Man 2, Duck Tales, you'll probably see the comparisons, it's a lot more of a clean, melodic approach. Also stuff which isn't technically chip music but comes from a similar place like Chris Huelsbeck's work on Turrican 2 that kind of thing. 

I'm not especially knowledgeable about the technical stuff involved with chiptunes, but as a pixel... artist...?

Well, as a guy that likes to mess around with pixels, I really love what you did here. I'm glad I randomly decided to check this thread. Got the album, and I'll probably be listening to it a good amount while... well, messing around with the aforementioned pixels.

7 minutes ago, Captain Question said:

I'm not especially knowledgeable about the technical stuff involved with chiptunes, but as a pixel... artist...?

Well, as a guy that likes to mess around with pixels, I really love what you did here. I'm glad I randomly decided to check this thread. Got the album, and I'll probably be listening to it a good amount while... well, messing around with the aforementioned pixels.

Thanks! I was wondering who had just given me money. 

Also I think you should go with 'pixel artist.' Making low res pictures pixel by pixel is an interesting challenge and takes imagination to pull off well. :) 

Imagine this: A Mirror Universe Star Wars novel (or trilogy maybe) with a Galactic Empire of evil ruled by the Sith for millenia instead of a Republic defended by the Jedi. The Jedi are an opposing force of good that have long since been driven to extinction at the hand of the Sith Master Hoth, who defeated the last Jedi Master Bane, and his host of Jedi he affectionately named the Army of Light, 1000 years earlier. Vader and Padme have overthrown the lord of the Sith Obi-Wan Kenobi, dark Emperor of the Empire and Vader's former master, and together reign supreme over the galaxy. Luke and Leia are raised by their parents and brought up in the ways of the Sith by Darth Vader. They are taught from a young age that each of them are rivals who must eventually fight to the death for their rightful place as Vader's apprentice and heir to the Sith. He or she will then in turn eventually defeat Darth Vader himself and become the master of the Sith. Vader sends his children out to the galaxy to be led by the dark side to complete their own training.

Thought long dead by Vader's hand, Obi-Wan instead deceived Vader (as is appropriate for a Sith) and plots behind his back to destroy him in revenge. He has kept an eye on Luke from afar and seeks to groom him to be the one to defeat his sister and eventually Vader, finalizing his revenge. Obi-Wan tempts Luke with greater power than even Vader knows and takes Luke to Tatooine to teach him everything he knows, much of which he had kept from Vader. Meanwhile Padme, who has a growing conflict with Vader on how to govern the galaxy, takes Leia under her wing to try to manipulate her for her own purposes to be the one to defeat Vader. She doesn't really want to see Luke killed, but seeing as Leia is far more malleable to her will she accepts it as a necessary step to eventually get rid of Vader (which she can never do herself). She advises her to go to Alderaan and learn from her ally Bail Organa, who she conspires with in secret in political matters for her obsessive need to control the galaxy in her own way. He is also a master of deception and her own mentor.

While on Alderaan Leia meets a bounty hunter named Han Solo, who owns a wookie slave named Chewbacca that he refers to with the derogatory term "Chewy." He falls for her immediately, and though she also develops feelings for him, she treats him as merely a simple-minded unwitting tool to aid in her purposes.

After training, Luke, under the direction of Obi-Wan (obsessed with acts of great overwhelming power, which he naturally imparted to his new apprentice) takes the greatest Imperial weapon, the Death Star, to Alderaan and completely destroys it, thinking that Leia is there. However, in contrast to Luke's propensity for acts of great power, she herself has become a master of subterfuge and deception. She got wind of the coming attack and left prior to that with Han aboard his ship, the "Malevolent Vulture." She decides to let her brother and father believe that she is dead and works in secret with Han and his mercenary associate Lando Calrissian to take revenge on her brother and her father. She plans to seek out and form a temporary alliance with the small yet determined band of rebels led by General Tarkin and Jabba the Hutt. They have the forces available to take on the Death Star, but she alone is able to get the design plans to discover a weakness and destroy it...but little do the rest know that she has no intention of destroying it, she would rather use the Rebels' military force to attack the Death Star, distracting both parties, and sneak aboard to kill Luke Skywalker, his loyal military force (led by Luke's close friends Biggs Darklighter and Wedge Antilles), and then ultimately the Rebels themselves, taking the Death Star for her own and returning to the Imperial City on Coruscant to destroy her father and her mother both and rebuild the Empire in her own iron fist of domination.

Little do any of these parties realize that the great Jedi master Palpatine, in hiding on Dagobah and the last taught by a long line of Jedi Masters training in secret and keeping their teachings and ways alive after 1000 years of exile, is searching and waiting for the right apprentice to come along that he can teach the ways of the Light Side to and together destroy the Empire at last. He comes across a likely candidate: a rough but otherwise uncharacteristically honest smuggler named Boba Fett, who he senses is surprisingly adept in the Force...

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I started a let's play series for The Witness. The series is called Let's Beat It and as well as walking through some games it also answers my quandary of actually beating the games I play. I also in the future plan on beating those insanely difficult adventure games that I missed that everyone says are incredibly unfair eventually.

I like the idea of a let's play series for games that you haven't yet played through - plus I know that you like adventure games with tough puzzles, so it should be interesting to see your opinions of some of the harder adventure games once you get to them.

I made a small game in @Cheeseness's 3D text adventure engine, Icicle!

https://timegentleman.itch.io/baboo

You use  mouse controls to look around a text-portrayed 3D space. The game itself is pretty short and almost entirely constructed of Idle Thumbs in-jokes, made as it was for their latest Jam along with Icicle's first, but it's worth a play just to try out the fun engine.

Ongoing project I've been working on for a year and a half I named Full of Eyes. The album is code-named Project CHERUBIM. Similar to the Ayreon prog concept albums. Story is all laid out I just need to finish the music and write lyrics. Then find people to sing it...

I enjoyed your game, Bidiot - I'd like to play the full version if it happens!

Less of a self-promotion, more of a hello!

I've been a long-long-long-... time lurker of these forums. Been pretty quiet as I spent time trying to get into game development as a career. Happy to have time to chat it up on here now! xD

Here's my portfolio (for the self-promotiony bit): http://www.dillon3d.com/

I'll definitely give it a shot. DF is dream company #1 for me.  :)

And thank you, @Bidiot Bales:D I'm starting up a personal game about playing as a trash can, so I'm sure you'll see more of my stuff around here haha.

I played your Icicle Jam games yesterday, @Bidiot Bales and @TimeGentleman. Good stuff. :) I had meant to make something for the jam myself, but I never got past making just a few scenes and objects. I think I should have tried to flesh out an idea a bit better before starting. 

Hello there! Bit of a lurker myself :P, standing in awe of Double Fine at a distance. (I'd like to start making more regular appearances, though.) 

I'm also a digital artist with a passion for game development... particularly creative indie projects! www.celestemasinter.com

Of course working at Double Fine would be AMAZING.

But in the mean time, I'll keep enjoying the games they make!

After 4 months of research, writing and taking screenshots, I'm very proud to announce that my latest Cheese Talks project is live.

This time, I've put together an interactive timeline covering the entire history of Star Wars games, from 1982's Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back through to 2017's Star Wars: Force Arena.

The timeline is sortable based on a number of data points such as development studio, whether or not the title is a film adaptation, how well it fits with Star Wars canon and the in-fiction time period in which the game is set.

Alongside the article is a 26,700 word article that looks at what makes Star Wars interesting, offers some interpretations of the timeline, muses over what can be learned from each of the Star Wars games I've played, and attempts to pull all of that together into something digestible.

This has been a super difficult project to nail down, with new-to-me titles popping up throughout and making it hard to plan/gauge how much work was left.

There have been a few aspects of this project that have been particularly enjoyable for me. Revisiting my favourite Star Wars titles and digging back through my old gear to find the original disk for the first Star Wars game I ever played was a bunch of fun, and it was rewarding to try to squeeze together all of the "takeaways" into a hypothetical "ideal Star Wars game" that still had some sense of coherency. Trying to adapt an old never-published Star Wars fan page to something compatible with the timeline/article layout was also a fun challenge, but the 90s style animated gifs are the best part ^_^

cool.gif

http://cheesetalks.net/star-wars-games/

Hi, fellow Double Fine geeks! I've posted occasionally in the Broken Age and Psychonauts forums, but here are my modest Double Fine claims to fame to prove my fan credentials in spite of my relatively low post count:

If my earnest love and appreciation for Double Fine checks out with your honesty receptors, allow me to segue into blatant self-promotion.

I made a game! Not alone, with a friend of mine. This is our third.

It's called Spinner Galactic, and it's an endless arcade orbiter. You play as Captain Default on your hapless mission to claim as many planets as possible simply by orbiting them, but to reach the next planet you have to boost at the moment your trajectory points you in the right direction. Avoid the asteroids, navigate the pacing planetoids and collect enough coins to unlock a first-rate crew in your journey to earn a high score and conquer the galaxy.

Spinner Galactic is available for iPhone and iPad, and you can download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spinner-galactic/id975805850?ls=1&mt=8

Here's one of those screenshots that moves and makes noise:

Thanks for indulging my shameless plug! I hope you give the game a try. 🙂

On 16/03/2017 at 4:55 AM, Tyler Sticka said:

It's called Spinner Galactic, and it's an endless arcade orbiter. You play as Captain Default on your hapless mission to claim as many planets as possible simply by orbiting them, but to reach the next planet you have to boost at the moment your trajectory points you in the right direction. Avoid the asteroids, navigate the pacing planetoids and collect enough coins to unlock a first-rate crew in your journey to earn a high score and conquer the galaxy.

I dig the style. That's super nice ^_^

I also released another game recently. Another first person/text adventure hybrid done in the Icicle engine, this time for the Linux Game Jam. In The Spicy Meatball Saves The Day, you play as a superhero who gets distracted by a burning building on the way home from fighting crime. Unlike my other Icicle games, this one has deaths, points and multiple paths (though mostly still with the same outcomes).

I also did this sweet splash screen inspired by vintage comics ^_^

spicy_meatball_splash.thumb.png.aad96c439320f2467099dff938cd6cc6.png

I feel like I may have made the mistake of leading with the best bit - "The Ineffable F" is the funniest gag in the game >_<

Hey @Cheeseness I played Spicy Meatball, and really enjoyed it! Great writing, the scene-setting was good and I always had a pretty clear sense of geographical location. That workaday superhero feel is well-captured - I like the feeling of inevitability that you're going to have to get that train. I felt quite nervous about rescuing that kid, too! I also really liked the non-linear aspect to it, with the multiple entries. It was very clever how you could use the rocket boots/grappling hook whichever way you went in.

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON - I RECOMMEND PLAYING THEN COMING BACK!

I was also happy to go back and replay so I could rescue both occupants of the building. The deaths by distraction were funny too!

Constructive criticism time:

- it was mildly irritating to be forced to speak to the father/firefighters each time I replayed, especially as they were relaying information I already knew from the intro/real-world knowledge of burning buildings being dangerous. I think you could leave these as optional even for the first play.

- underscores in the scene descriptions bug me!

- text scrolling was really slow. If there's not a way for the player to change this on the fly, maybe speed it up by 50% at least!

- I was really happy to rescue the dog, but I didn't seem to get any recognition of it from the game. I let him out of the pantry then there was no further mention of him. I was hoping perhaps to see him in the ambulance at the end, or if that is too fiddly to accomplish then at least see him run outside and hear a happy barking! Also, I know you mentioned something previously about getting a points total after the game, I don't know if this was implemented in time for this game - perhaps this could have been another way of acknowledging the double rescue.

- Was there actually a time limit at all? Meatball kept wondering how much time he had. I think if there was, it might be cool to have him estimate he only has X minutes left (where X also equals so many moves)

- I could only find two entry-points: the door and the roof. Was there a third?

- Finally, I really wanted to be a selfish arsehole and use my rocket boots to jump to the pool on the roof of the other building! I was a bit disappointed when I tried a final 'evil' playthrough, ran straight through the building and up to the roof, but wasn't able to do that.

That's heaps for the feedback!

Some stuff (like the final score screen and some improved prompts in descriptions/dialogue that might make talking with the firefighters and the father feel more worthwhile) are coming in an update that I haven't released yet (mostly waiting on some more audio before pushing that out).

The third entry point (a window - the exterior of the same window you might have interacted with later in the game) is above and to the right of the door, below the roof. It's a little smaller than the door and the roof, but it's still quite large. I saw some players who found the roof and window, but not the door. I think I'm pretty comfortable with that so long as players find at least one entrance, maybe?

Controllable scroll speed and prettied scene descriptions are on the roadmap for the engine, but not something I'm expecting to mess with within the next few months.

Am definitely thinking about "evil" options (had considered letting the player block up the toilet, or loot the couch for change, but didn't get time to pop that in)!

Hey guys, I just thought I'd share one of the prototype games I've made during my master's degree studies. It's very short and experimental, just trying out an idea which seemed to go over well in class. I'm sharing this one because I feel it is the most intriguing out of the things I've made this year. Will probably share more of what I've done as I'm building up my portfolio over the next month or so.

https://danstokoe.itch.io/text-land