DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

Hey, it's the week of Halloween! Let's celebrate by looking at some really bad video games!

4oRr_BHGi6U

Another tomorrow!

I managed to fuck up my display manager yesterday, and it was pretty late when I finally got it working again, so I'll have to watch this one tonight. There's also a new sidequest with Peter McConnell out, so it looks like there won't be much time for playing games today either. Looking forward to watching your vid though.

Cool. No rush.

And before you ask, YES THE INTRO IS SUPPOSED TO BE DARKER THAN NORMAL.

I've been getting that a lot. I meant to make it darker for Halloween, but I think I went a bit too overboard. Oh well.

I wasn't going to ask. I already knew about that from reading your post on the TTG foru-COMMUNITY.

Nice reviews. I'm glad I somehow mostly managed to avoid these kinds of promotional games in my youth. I think the closest I ever got was the game Zool, which was mostly just a vessel for product placement of Chupa Chups lolipops. Can't remember playing any cheap movie/series tie ins.

Oh, and "Fartboost" had me a bit puzzled at first until I realized you used some game footage from a Swedish version of the Lassie game.

I remember trying to play a Home Alone game on the original Game Boy. Predictably enough, it was horrendous and I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to be doing at all.

Sometimes I wonder about the people that develop these games. Are they in denial and think the games they make are great, are they fully aware that they're producing shovelware and just don't care, or are they developers that could have had some potential but are held back by microscopic budgets, idiotic oversight, and super strict deadlines imposed on them by the publisher?

The world may never know.

The video game sequel that no-one wanted to the films that no-one remembers.

_rUypNmgI0Y

This was up earlier, but I caught a nasty visual glitch I somehow missed, so I had to pull it, re-compile it (twice, since it didn't work the first time - pro-tip: Sony Vegas doesn't like overwriting files when making movies) and then re-upload it, which took four times as long this time around for some reason.

Eh, it's still Friday somewhere.

Who likes board games? I do! Wish I was actually playing one.

V5y64NEHIrY

Have a horrible feeling that I won't actually finish tomorrow's review in time. I'll try my damnedest though!

I don't recall if I actually posted this in this here thread, I made this a month or two ago, it turned out pretty good!

Gee, did I say I wouldn't get this done before the end of today?

I LIED.

zSqwVLFZJww

And I did it! 7 days of the worst licensed video games I've ever seen! YAY! Now let's never do anything like this again.

Watch my video! I made this for history class, we had to do a video on an historical event, my friend Liam and I chose Sputnik.

INSTRUCTIONS:

* (1) Read these instructions. You are doing this now, as you are reading this sentence.

* (2) Click on the play button to play the video.

* (3) Proceed to watch the (now playing) video.

* (4) Yawn out of sheer boredom.

* (5) Turn off the video after a couple of minutes.

* (6) Ponder how much you resent people who waste precious minutes of your life by goading you in to watching their really, quite poor, YouTube videos. Especially when you have more fun things to do, such as cleaning up that festering heap of dirty dishes, that are lying in the corner of your room, under a pile of unwashed clothes and have been for months. Don't lie. You know it.

* (7) There is no seventh bullet point. Please disregard this entry. It is an error.

===========================================================

By the way, for the record since making these videos, I have sorted out my (awful looking) chipped tooth. My teeth are lovely and white now. Well, mostly white anyway... Look, they are better than they used to be, okay? So there. Also, excuse the squeaky voice in the second video. I don't know what was going on with my voice back then! Okay, I admit it! My name is Ed, I'm addicted to helium and I have a problem.

This last one's not NSFW (Not Safe For Work). I'm serious. You have been warned...

And I totally agree. Well I don't know if I agree on the Alien 3 DC because I haven't watched it yet. I love the original version already and I'm pushing back watching the DC again and again because I'm afraid I will not like it. This also means I haven't seen the Alien 4 DC either.

'Alien: Resurrection - Special Edition' is even worse than the theatrical cut, if you can believe such a thing. There's extra jokes, adding even more fuel to the already completely disgraceful self-parody fire.

There is one, single nice touch they added though; a brief, sub-conscious memory that Ripley No.8 has of Newt's death. That small addition was really touching and sad. Then within seconds, they add another aditition to the special edition; another of those self-parody gags, where it's revealed that Weyland-Yutani was brought out by Walmart during the 200 years since 'Alien3'. I was sorely tempted to remove the disc from the player, defecate upon it and post the soiled disc back to 20th Centurary Fox, with a note simply reading 'This is my fanedit of your terrible movie, I think that this is the ultimate edition, as it truly highlights the crappyness of the film.

Just in case someone is interested in it I expressed my feelings on the first two movies in the (now) ugly place.

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/20391/rate-the-last-movies-you-watched/p162

Uh, I hadn't really bothered to check out the new TTG forums (other than a 2 second glance) but that new forum is the worst thing since Hitler. Or at least Goebbels! Okay, both of those comparisons are hyperbolic. Let's just say that the new forum is the worst thing since Hitler's dog. Who probably wasn't that bad, almost certainly not a Nazi but the point is this; that new forum sucks the balls of several randy donkeys.

To be honest if I had to choose between the unneeded comic relief in Alien 4 and the soldier banter / comic relief in Aliens I'd take Alien 4. Always. Because I really didn't like the marines in Aliens.

I don't like the marines either (cheesy, moronic knuckleheads that they are) and I wish that James Cameron hadn't insisted on shoving his military obsession within the 'Alien' universe. If nothing else, just because of what it's wrought for the series in the long-run (particularly the video-games based around the films). 'Alien' started out as a cold, brooding, horror piece and ever since 'Aliens' (with the very welcome and notable exception of 'Alien3'), the series has been bent out of all recognition and turned into just another generic action-adventure franchise.

Such a shame.

I saw the quick cuts from Shaun of the Dead...

...and then tried to replicate it.

It's not terrible but it's not that good either, some tips/opinions from any film-makers out there would be nice, as I fancy myself as a short film maker. (director, cinematographer, writer... not too keen on acting though it would help probably).

It's not terrible but it's not that good either, some tips/opinions from any film-makers out there would be nice, as I fancy myself as a short film maker. (director, cinematographer, writer... not too keen on acting though it would help probably).

That's certainly a good effort and you've managed to replicate that style of editing to an extent. I'm not a film-maker, so I'm not really qualified to provide advice but I'll offer you my advice as a fellow short-film maker/enthusiast...

The basic framing of each shot and the use of sound effects was definitely a close approximation of Edgar Wright's style but if you're trying to truly replicate his fast-cut approach to editing then you're missing a couple of things. You'll notice that each of the cuts (parodies of cliché action film editing techniques) in the 'Shawn of the Dead' example you were using as a reference were composed of three key elements...

* Each shot starts with an object that the character will be using/picking up as he gets ready to leave. The shot is framed as a close up, with the relevant object taking up the central position of that frame.

You have this part nailed already.

*With each shot, almost as soon it is cut to, the camera does a hand-held, fast zoom-in to the central part of the frame/object.

You didn't use this technique in your video and it's something that should really be done in-camera as opposed to in the editing "suite". So, a re-shoot of the individual shots may be in order, as opposed to simply adding a zoom effect in post (which if possible, I can't imagine would even look very good. Primarily due to the toll that such an effect would have on the video's resolution).

* As the fast zoom occurs on each shot, it is accompanied by a "whooshing" sound effect. The other sound effects are those that accompany the action the character is currently performing (for example; the sound of the character brushing his teeth or flushing the toilet). These sound effects are heightened to the point of being extremely prominent.

Whilst you do have the heightened sound effects of the character's actions, you're using the whooshing sound effect without the camera zoom-in. That's a little like having a shot of Africa without a lion in frame and playing a sound effect of a roaring lion anyway. The "whoosh" sound effect needs to accompany the fast zoom-in, almost implying that this is simply the technical sound a camera makes when performing a fast zoom-in.

I'd be interested in seeing you have another crack at it because you're almost there.

That's certainly a good effort and you've managed to replicate that style of editing to an extent. I'm not a film-maker, so I'm not really qualified to provide advice but I'll offer you my advice as a fellow short-film maker/enthusiast...

The basic framing of each shot and the use of sound effects was definitely a close approximation of Edgar Wright's style but if you're trying to truly replicate his fast-cut approach to editing then you're missing a couple of things. You'll notice that each of the cuts (parodies of cliché action film editing techniques) in the 'Shawn of the Dead' example you were using as a reference were composed of three key elements...

* Each shot starts with an object that the character will be using/picking up as he gets ready to leave. The shot is framed as a close up, with the relevant object taking up the central position of that frame.

You have this part nailed already.

*With each shot, almost as soon it is cut to, the camera does a hand-held, fast zoom-in to the central part of the frame/object.

You didn't use this technique in your video and it's something that should really be done in-camera as opposed to in the editing "suite". So, a re-shoot of the individual shots may be in order, as opposed to simply adding a zoom effect in post (which if possible, I can't imagine would even look very good. Primarily due to the toll that such an effect would have on the video's resolution).

* As the fast zoom occurs on each shot, it is accompanied by a "whooshing" sound effect. The other sound effects are those that accompany the action the character is currently performing (for example; the sound of the character brushing his teeth or flushing the toilet). These sound effects are heightened to the point of being extremely prominent.

Whilst you do have the heightened sound effects of the character's actions, you're using the whooshing sound effect without the camera zoom-in. That's a little like having a shot of Africa without a lion in frame and playing a sound effect of a roaring lion anyway. The "whoosh" sound effect needs to accompany the fast zoom-in, almost implying that this is simply the technical sound a camera makes when performing a fast zoom-in.

I'd be interested in seeing you have another crack at it because you're almost there.

Thanks for the tips.

I did notice the zoom, but I was home alone when filming so I couldn't get anyone to help me with it and had to settle for no-zoom, though you are right about the use of the sound effects.

That was interesting what you said about it being a parody of a cliche'd editing technique, because I haven't noticed it in many films actually. All of Wright's films to my knowledge have at least some of it in there, especially Shaun, but other than that I can't think of any examples and just assumed it was Wright's style of filming, but if it is a parody then that's news to me!

I might do a re-make, I have a good 1080p camera coming in the post so hopefully I get that soon, it should up the quality significantly and hopefully I can make some good quality films.

Thanks again.

That was interesting what you said about it being a parody of a cliche'd editing technique, because I haven't noticed it in many films actually. All of Wright's films to my knowledge have at least some of it in there, especially Shaun, but other than that I can't think of any examples and just assumed it was Wright's style of filming, but if it is a parody then that's news to me!

Aye, it certainly is a parody of action films (Wright himself has confirmed this). The cliche is of quick-edit, fast zoom shots that usually involve actions that a character performs in preparation for a big showdown, such as the loading of a gun or putting on a bullet proof vest. The parody of Wright's films is taking a macho editing style and applying it to the mundane (so you've got kinetic and dramatic editing over a character brushing his teeth, in preparation for leaving for work).

I'm struggling to think of any really good specific examples right now I've definitely seen them over the years. These are not the best of examples but the scene of Ash sawing the end off a shotgun and attaching a chainsaw to his bloody stump, prior to facing off against the Henrietta deadite in 'Evil Dead 2' or Ripley duct taping a flamethrower to her pulse rifle, before heading out to find Newt in 'Aliens' are along the right line.

My Narration of 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream' by Harlan Ellison

This is my favourite short-story. Be sure to check out Harlan Ellison's other works. It was a joy to play the part of 'AM' during his "hate" speech for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKOCPK4_cpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QUBOscBFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gSv2Arbno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIspra7oqbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xatUtIj18Wk