Double Fine Action Forums
DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

Very nice playing! I never had the patience or attention span to learn music, I just compose and play a few songs from a friend with whom I was in a band many eons ago. I definitely want to go back and try to write some with it. I like the harp sound and surely it opens up some interesting possibilities.

The type of capos I was talking about, well, I can't name the brand as that's not fair, but they're very popular and for a while they used some extremely cheap and probably severely toxic rubber - just leaving it on the guitar for a few hours would be enough to cause damage. I go to a songwriter coffee meetup on a regular basis and one of the gents who writes songs for some pretty famous people was the one that brought it to our attention and someone in the group actually had it happen to their high-end Taylor. I guess I'm paranoid about my babies but yeah - I should explore the capo a little more :)

Darn, that scout looks cool. :D

Sure it was a big brand? There are tons of knockoffs and such. I obsess to much about gear these days, i need to play more.

Great stuff, everyone!

Regarding capos: I find it's actually the guitar of whether the capo enhances the sound or not. My friend used to always leave the capo on his, and I loved the way it sounded with it on. But whenever I did the same for mine, I thought it didn't sound as nice as with it off. Actually, thinking about it now- it was probably more the difference in the strings than anything else.

I have made an adventure game called Frasse and the Peas of Kejick.

Hi. On the download page, I saw a Windows and a Mac version, and since I run GNU/Linux, I tried out the Windows version under Wine. The game is not bad, but I think it's possible to get stuck. At some point I didn't know what to do, so I checked a walkthrough. Apparently, I need to put the rope around the branch, but it's around the bird and I can't remove it.

Quite a lot of things I like: that it's possible to save/load, double click to exit the screen, Full Throttle-like interface, that it's possible to interrupt talking, that you can switch between characters, that fullscreen is optional, that it's a talkie, how Frasse is laying down on the branch. All in all, it kept me entertained.

Some things that could be improved or that I noticed: the Game Setup image says "Sludge", would be nice if the music could be disabled or softened, I can't ask Elliott about Loom, selecting the manual gives an error, some of the voice acting wasn't good and some are low quality recordings (like for Gurra). Kicking a banana tree was useful, but kicking the other tree gives "Violence is not the answer". Having Gurra kick the banana tree again is still "Neat!" according to Frasse. When trying to combine items, it would be nice if Frasse would keep the item in his hands if it can't be combined. I hadn't talked to the viking about his sneezing yet, and suddenly Frasse said he didn't need to make the cure, that Blake could do that. So I was thinking "Cure?" and Blake didn't want the ingredients (yet). Right now right clicking opens en closes the inventory. It would be nice if, a as third option, it would also give the last object that Frasse was holding.

An entertaining game, you clearly put a lot of effort into it. Can you tell me, am I stuck with the rope or can I untie it somehow? Then I know if I should replay it (shouldn't be too much work, I now know what to do). Thanks.

I have made an adventure game called Frasse and the Peas of Kejick.

Hi. On the download page, I saw a Windows and a Mac version, and since I run GNU/Linux, I tried out the Windows version under Wine. The game is not bad, but I think it's possible to get stuck. At some point I didn't know what to do, so I checked a walkthrough. Apparently, I need to put the rope around the branch, but it's around the bird and I can't remove it.

There are two solutions to that puzzle. The one mentioned by the walkthrough was added during beta testing, but the original solution doesn't require the rope. (Gurra isn't involved in that solution, so Frasse will have to do some more talking. Something in the inventory helps with that.)

Quite a lot of things I like: that it's possible to save/load, double click to exit the screen, Full Throttle-like interface, that it's possible to interrupt talking, that you can switch between characters, that fullscreen is optional, that it's a talkie, how Frasse is laying down on the branch. All in all, it kept me entertained.

Thanks for telling me.

Some things that could be improved or that I noticed: the Game Setup image says "Sludge",

So it does. That's because it's made with the SLUDGE engine. (That image can be replaced, and maybe it would be a good idea to do so.)

would be nice if the music could be disabled or softened

It probably would. The original version of the game had that option - I can't remember why I removed that when making the special edition.

I can't ask Elliott about Loom,

Yes, you can. (Gurra can, if he has read the shirt.) Or do you mean that you get some error when you try?

selecting the manual gives an error

I blame Wine, as I haven't heard about that not working before. The manual is a PDF that's opened by the OS, and not the game engine. (If you want to run it natively on Linux you can do so, if you build the engine yourself, and then feed it the gamedata.slg file from the Windows version you have been playing.)

some of the voice acting wasn't good and some are low quality recordings (like for Gurra).

Yes, that's unfortunate, but considering that I got all the actors to work for free, I can't complain too much. I was amazed by how good some of them were. After I got the first voices, I knew that I had to get the talkie done. It wasn't easy to get all parts cast though, which is why I ended up playing the part of Frasse myself.

Having Gurra kick the banana tree again is still "Neat!" according to Frasse.

An actual bug. Thanks for letting me know. I'll most likely fix it in a future version - I'm the kind of person who keep fixing bugs years after I'm done with the game, just because I want to keep it in a state of "no known bugs".

I hadn't talked to the viking about his sneezing yet, and suddenly Frasse said he didn't need to make the cure, that Blake could do that. So I was thinking "Cure?" and Blake didn't want the ingredients (yet).

And another bug. Thanks again!

An entertaining game, you clearly put a lot of effort into it.

Thanks. (But if you've only played up to the cure, you haven't seen half of it yet. Both the best parts and the worst are still ahead.)

Can you tell me, am I stuck with the rope or can I untie it somehow? Then I know if I should replay it (shouldn't be too much work, I now know what to do). Thanks.

It can't be untied, but there is the alternate solution I mentioned earlier. Please do let me know what you thought of the game (good and bad - it's all very appreciated!) if/when you finish it.

There are two solutions to that puzzle.

Oh, okay.

I've already finished the game, I've replayed it and used the solution from the walkthrough.

More and more I'm thinking that what makes an adventure good is everything that's possible that is not required to continue and is just there for the sake of making it a fun experience. The most basic example are witty remarks by the protagonist, when the player is trying certain objects with others. In your game, being able to throw snowballs at the animal for no reason is an example. Best part of the game. :lol:

Yeah, Wine is probably the reason it's not opening the manual; no PDF reader.

("Error: Manual could not be opened.")

I tried using Gurra to look at Elliott's shirt and then mention it to him, but I probably misclicked the shirt.

Maybe mention the SF page (source/Linux) on the game's download page.

More and more I'm thinking that what makes an adventure good is everything that's possible that is not required to continue and is just there for the sake of making it a fun experience. The most basic example are witty remarks by the protagonist, when the player is trying certain objects with others. In your game, being able to throw snowballs at the animal for no reason is an example. Best part of the game. :lol:

I think you're on to something there. Those things are also fun to make, which probably is part of what makes it good. It's when you get that connection.

An animated short film I created music for finally went online, on newgrounds. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/596083 . Keep in mind it has some naughty language and debatably naughty visuals. A mod soundtrack I worked on a few years ago is also listenable online, bandcamp link in my sig and the tracks have found their way onto youtube as well.

Hi! My name's Graham Laurie Pratt, and I want to be a lumberjack!

Photobucket

"L'arbre"

Hi! My name's Graham Laurie Pratt, and I want to be a lumberjack!

Photobucket

"L'arbre"

Sooooo pretty.... o_O

Since that this thread is for do a self promotion, I going to do that now in some few words.

I'm a Game Designer/Level Designer that lives in Argentina, I work in a lot of projects almost all are Indie Games, and I always helped to all the people that ask for my help. I Work mostly in all the types of games and genres like FPS, TPS, RPG and much more prototypes of some games that I do, and I know how to use a lot of engines like UDK, CryEngine 3, Unity, etc.

Here is my homepage:

http://not-human-productions.webs.com/

My profile in IndieDB:

http://www.indiedb.com/members/nothuman-productions

And my twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/jeroocabrera

Those games on your homepage look really good.

Thanks! And that games are just the games that I have more worked, but really I have a lot of prototypes of games from all the types and genres, not just only FPS or games like that.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share a project I’m a part of on Kickstarter. We’re making a 2-D side scroller called “Lennie”. I’m doing most of the art for it, and would love for everyone to check it out and spread the word. I’m glad to be a part of the Double Fine community. You guys are awesome! Let me know if you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cryogenicstudios/lennie-the-video-game

~Micah

P.S. Apologies for posting this in the wrong place to begin with :(

P.S. Apologies for posting this in the wrong place to begin with :(

Meh, it went to page two. This Topic should be sticky - at least temporarily.

Yeah, I just checked out the g7th. Seems nice but I can't bring myself to pay $60 for a capo. The one I have was $5 and works well with what I use it for.

Got one of these for Christmas, it's totally worth it.

Hey guys. I recently posted this in a bad, bad way, but I thought I'd still re-share it in the appropriate forum thread. I got in trouble for the picture being too large, but unfortunately it needs to be a certain size for the QR scan to work properly. Let me know if it doesn't work for you, and I'll edit it.

I teach GameDev at the University of Victoria and helped found UVic GameDev. We throw game jams and have a lot of fun. The QR link currently does nothing, but soon (week or two? ) it will take you to a totally rad and free bundle of our chincy little Indie games we've made over the past few years. I hope you will enjoy it, but regardless I'm TOTALLY proud of the design. If only I had more floppy disks! Glad to be a part of the DF community.

5h047.png

Thank you so so much for resizing that picture! <3 But send me the original via PM if you still have it. The code is still readable but my 3DS had some trouble, i'll fix it for you if you like.

And thanks for making that sticky. <3

I resized it. Before the image was scaled down slightly, now it is just cropped. Let me know if that works better. I had no idea there was a 3DS qr scanner! I am not sure if the download will work from there, or from an iPhone, but it works on Android for sure, and regardless you'll be able to get the files from the direct link on a PC.

The bundle will be small enough that it won't be a burden to download on a phone, since that is of course the idea behind the QR and the physical disks.

Sorry, for making what sticky exactly?

Thank you so so much for resizing that picture! <3 But send me the original via PM if you still have it. The code is still readable but my 3DS had some trouble, i'll fix it for you if you like.

And thanks for making that sticky. <3

The "thanks for sticky" was for the DF staff who made this topic a sticky, so that it will hopefully not be overseen again, and maybe even provide better exposure to the general awesomeness of this topic.

Just what i was going to do (cropping). Scanning it works a lot better now! Well, the 3DS got a QR scanner, but i can't really do much with it. It doesn't seem to support plain text QR codes, only URLs for some strange reason, and while i can use the browser to download for example 3D images, i can't download videos or programs as it seems, and i also can't use youtube. Nintendo really needs to think about their features.

Oh well, might as well tell a bit about myself - it's what most people want to do anyways!

Music composer, audio designer, multi-instrumentalist Harry from Finland says hi! Ventured here through The Mighty Kickstarter Project, for I am a fan of the original classic adventure games and especially the ones mr Schafer has touched.

I've been working with music and sound pretty much all my life. I license music to various media from documentaries to TV spots, skate and snowboard films and even adult films! I've also released several personal records, my forum signature showing you the latest. For the whole discography go check out my facebook page (dfast @ Facebook). I'm also composing music in a demoscene animation group called ½-bit Cheese. We've participated in some demo compos during the past few years, even won a price and then some! You can check out all of our productions here.

Right now I'm mostly interested in working with game soundtracks, sfx and game audio design in general. I'm learning the basics of WWISE and I've just finished my first REAL game music project (no release date for the game yet) and hoping to get plenty more! I don't have much experience in the gaming industry (apart from the fact that I'm bit of a game collector, mostly NES and SNES titles though) but that's a fact I'm about to change. Here's my tiny game music resume (the games are gorgeous, do try them out):

Knytt Stories (freeware, PC)

Within a Deep Forest (freeware, PC)

Modarchive games (freeware, PC)

All above games are made by Nifflas, who was involved in the terrific and challenging NightSky (

)

Guess that's quite enough for now! If you need sound in a game or several, pick me! Really need to fill up my resume in order to confront people like Schafer.

Gnar Games Episode 6: TDD (Totally Dumb Development)

Wherein the Internet's only Colton Phillips gives a WWE smackdown to the software programming paradigm known as test driven development.

I just started writing game related articles which I am posting on my website: www.pawalker.com/articles Would be great if people could check it out and give some feedback/give their own opinions in the comments

My very first published game Roly Poly Picnic 2: Treasure Hunt just released it's trailer. I am very proud of my work, and the trailer is awesome. I'm so excited! :D