Double Fine Action Forums
DF Chris Remo

The Self-Promotion Thread! Plug Your Creative Work Here!

[del]eww edutainment[/del] looks pretty cool

I can't lie! It's actually a bit of fun to play! The first game was quite popular that is why they made a sequel. :)

Hey guys. I recently posted this in a bad, bad way, but I thought I'd still re-share it in the appropriate forum thread. I got in trouble for the picture being too large, but unfortunately it needs to be a certain size for the QR scan to work properly. Let me know if it doesn't work for you, and I'll edit it.

I teach GameDev at the University of Victoria and helped found UVic GameDev. We throw game jams and have a lot of fun. The QR link currently does nothing, but soon (week or two? ) it will take you to a totally rad and free bundle of our chincy little Indie games we've made over the past few years. I hope you will enjoy it, but regardless I'm TOTALLY proud of the design. If only I had more floppy disks! Glad to be a part of the DF community.

5h047.png

Looks like a fun bunch of minigames. oh, I read the code on my android, then typed the url on my laptop webbrowser, android is such sloow download :(

Hey guys. I recently posted this in a bad, bad way, but I thought I'd still re-share it in the appropriate forum thread. I got in trouble for the picture being too large, but unfortunately it needs to be a certain size for the QR scan to work properly. Let me know if it doesn't work for you, and I'll edit it.

I teach GameDev at the University of Victoria and helped found UVic GameDev. We throw game jams and have a lot of fun. The QR link currently does nothing, but soon (week or two? ) it will take you to a totally rad and free bundle of our chincy little Indie games we've made over the past few years. I hope you will enjoy it, but regardless I'm TOTALLY proud of the design. If only I had more floppy disks! Glad to be a part of the DF community.

5h047.png

Looks like a fun bunch of minigames. oh, I read the code on my android, then typed the url on my laptop webbrowser, android is such sloow download :(

Yes! We need to shrink the size a bit. I am thinking somewhere around ~115MB would be better. We've considered having a web bundle and a mobile version.

Happy happy, joy joy!

Disclaimer: The kickstarter project says Defence Grid 2, but it´s more kickstarting work towards the sequel then anything else, if you look at the goals.

Step 1 - $250k : Expansion for DG1 about the events leading up to DG2

Step 2 - $500k : New game engine that will be used for DG2, DG1 ported to it, and multiplayer for DG1

Step 3 - $750k : Level editor for the new game engine

Step 4 - $1 milion : DG2

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

Defence Grid is soooooo good! :)

If all kickstarters should be in that thread, then I can repost this in that, and Mr Remo can close this. I haven´t actually looked in that thread at all, since it says self-promotion and I´m haven´t promoted myself yet. :)

Editi: Thx DF Chris.

Woah, isn't that a little to DG specific? xD

Tower defense isn't really my bag, but DG was quite successful from all i've heard - i sure bought it. Well, DG was harder than any cock could ever dream of being, but it was actually fun, opposed to 90% of all tower defense games. Good luck to the DG2 guys.

chicken_stone_animal_sculpture_84.jpg

There, it's a cock made out of rock, but DG is still harder.

Happy happy, joy joy!

Disclaimer: The kickstarter project says Defence Grid 2, but it´s more kickstarting work towards the sequel then anything else, if you look at the goals.

Step 1 - $250k : Expansion for DG1 about the events leading up to DG2

Step 2 - $500k : New game engine that will be used for DG2, DG1 ported to it, and multiplayer for DG1

Step 3 - $750k : Level editor for the new game engine

Step 4 - $1 milion : DG2

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

Defence Grid is soooooo good! :)

This is great! I really like Defense Grid (though getting some of the medals drives me CRAZY). Very good TD game.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic there, hot, or if you mean that kickstarter is better for people who are good at what they do to make things where they have more control over, like personal projects instead of newbies trying to debut on kickstarter

that's what i mean. with newbies there is zero guarantee you'll get anything good. with tim schafer or chris avellone at least they're putting their reputations on the line. they have more invested in seeing the project succeed and aren't very likely to take the money and run.

Oh, cool. I thought you meant it in a way like "Yeah, because those big famous companies/people really need the funds to get things started!!"

Which is also a valid argument

Okay let me take a stab at this myself to try and set a tone.

One of the things I've done for several years with a few other friends in the video game industry is a podcast called

Idle Thumbs

It's a weekly video game podcast that tends to be a mix of fairly in-depth discussion about games and ridiculous goofy insanity. We started in 2008 and ran for a couple years before I moved from San Francisco to Boston to work at Irrational games. Now that I'm back in San Francisco and working at Double Fine, we figured we'd start it back up again.

We actually recently did our own Kickstarter (it's over now so we're no longer soliciting backers) that launched a week after Double Fine's, completely coincidentally. We thought it was going to hurt our chances, but we ended up doing much better than we expected. We're currently in the process of developing a new website and setting up a recording studio for the cast. The site will host our video game podcast and a new book club podcast we're starting, as well as an excellent existing podcast by some other game industry folks called Three Moves Ahead, all about strategy games.

Our current website is mainly an archive of our past episodes, but hopefully we'll be relaunching soon with the updated site. http://www.idlethumbs.net/

anyone interested in being in the video game industry or just games in general should listen to this, by the way. super insightful.

Yeah, I just checked it out myself. It's really interesting, but doesn't take itself too seriously. It might be my new favorite podcast.

Hey guys and girls! I’ve just released my second indie adventure game this week called “Anna’s Quest”. As a kickstarter backer and general lurker as a result, I won’t spam up the page with all the details about the game, but I’ll give a brief run down…

AQvol1-poster.jpg

Trailer:

Anna’s Quest is a black comedy adventure game set in a dark fairy-tale like setting inspired by The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen... with a sci-fi twist!

The story follows Anna, a young girl who, in the search of a cure for her ailing Grandpa, has been captured and kept under lock and key in a tower deep in the dark wood by an evil old witch. The witch has plans – plans that involve large, mysterious machines and cruel experiments with Anna. What the witch doesn’t count on, however, are the powerful telekinetic forces brought up within Anna, and Anna’s own plans of escape…

It's a DRM free download with full voice acting and an original soundtrack for only $5. There's more info on the game over at my site, like screenshots and a demo, and of course a link to grab the game - http://www.kramsdesign.com

Thanks for hearing me out! Hope you guys like it!

UVic GameDev is Victoria BC's university game development club. We meet once a week to discuss gamedev and work on projects. We put on as many game jams as possible.

We're always looking for more gamedevs and gamers to join our facebook group and help us make AWESOME GAMES!

Cheers

C

IRON STYLE

WHAT IT IS:

A new manga anthology featuring the work of Brisbane based contributors.

Contributors such as myself and my girlfriend.

Iron Style will feature an original story written by myself and drawn by Karina entitled Die! Die! Die! Gonna Cut Off Your Head. It is the tale of a post-apocalyptic rock band fighting for survival and sweet jams in a world of raiders, mutant beasts and The Fuzz.

tumblr_mbd3gzSBu01qkwyu7.png

(Damn! Just look at that sweet art!)

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Head here and donate to help pay all the other contributors who help make this thing great. In return you can get not only this hella sweet new manga anthology but lots of other comics too! You can even get prints, shirts and art commissions!

(PS It is being done on Pozible which is like Kickstarter for Australia)

Also not mine, but this ARG I've been following is pretty sweet. Ever since I started playing I've felt a lot of the people here might be really into it, the audience feels... similar? The basic idea is that the Fourth Wall has broken, and a bunch of classic fictional characters have fallen into this world and are having their worlds turned upside down.

Some Highlights:

Romeo joined a frat and is slowly becoming the biggest bro

Wicked Witch is trying to launch a political campaign, ruling through "Fear and Flying Monkeys"

Long John and Gulliver are the best buddy cop pair

Don Quixote attacked the hammering man

Here are the videos that started it all: