Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Haveyougotamic

Barrel thrower ( not generator )

Has anyone actually found a good setup for the barrel thrower? I think you can get like 10-15 barrels down....Not used it since dlc release. Obviously its just a weapon for fun, but is there a setup that makes it worthy of the three slots?

In short, no. It's a great weapon for screwing around, but unlike the barrel generators which sorta-kinda-to a degree can be used effectively (mediocre, but add mortar or well placed trigger mines and.... still sucks but okay-ish) these can't be.

The best way would be to set a trap, but with fire-rate and the like you would be milking the 10 seconds between waves to get a decent damage out, and it's still not decent by any means.

It's a novelty *shrugs*. It's only use being traps and having only 10 seconds between waves you CANNOT set up enough of a trap to warrant them. DPS and the like is also out of the question, being tied with the Boomerang (technically) and my hate for the worthless as heck boomerang is well known :3

(Two fiestas > Two boomerangs. ENGINEER OUTDOES ASSAULT FOR DPS.)

(Stuff- http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5971/ )

As one of those people who always tries to find a niche for the weird underdog weapons I can tell you I have never found a way to make the barrel thrower remotely competitive.

If you want to play with barrels, use the generators and some mortars with them. They aren't quite optimal but you can take any of the survival maps to wave 100 with them so long as others bring the all important piercing snipers along and don't blow more than about a third of the teams scrap on setting them up. They really are fun to play.

I'd like to add my two cents worth here on the barrel mines. Although I love them, they aren't worth the scrap if you're on a serious run. I used them on a Swamp "fun-run" with Redphienix once (and a couple of randoms, one of whom had sniper turrets) all the way to wave 61 or so. I had barrel mines down ALL OVER THE MAP, set out in 3's so they wouldn't freeze the game. End game stats: 73 emplacement kills. And that was probably only because I upgraded a few snipers along the way.

I'd like to add my two cents worth here on the barrel mines. Although I love them, they aren't worth the scrap if you're on a serious run. I used them on a Swamp "fun-run" with Redphienix once (and a couple of randoms, one of whom had sniper turrets) all the way to wave 61 or so. I had barrel mines down ALL OVER THE MAP, set out in 3's so they wouldn't freeze the game. End game stats: 73 emplacement kills. And that was probably only because I upgraded a few snipers along the way.

Needs to happen again x3

You don't get any kills for barrels going off for some reason. It's kind of like the bomblets from the Mr Pancakes. The kills just don't get counted for some reason.

Try running a hammer with a Mr. Pancakes and barrels. You will get almost no kills counted at all unless you upgrade other turrets. BTW, never run that set up unless in a real game. ; )

I never bothered with the barrel thrower much....buts its a heck of a lot of lols when goofing around on pre-mars missions....which I started doing whilst taking a break from 'swamp w/out snipers' a day ago. I noticed that if you want a almost point-blank barrel explosion, do a near double clack on the triggers. Fire the barrel then fire the sniper, and the barrel doesn't hit the ground. They also go really freakin' far if you shoot them at the highest arc. If the reload didn't take so long, it could almost be practical.

Just thought I would mention that I have redownloaded Iron Brigade, and have been itching to play it again. My GT is OANST, and I am good at the game. Not amazing. But I'm good, and reliable, and I talk. Hit me up if you want to play.

I'm in an anti-xbox slump where I can't touch the dang thing but I have a feeling I'll be back on IB soon enough.

Other more pressing matters, and an itch to play the Wii me and my mate bought for no reason.

SOON ENOUGH

Found out that if you have a barrel thrower with artillery cannon and fire both really high/far, the cannon and barrel land in the same spot and the cannon detonates the barrel. Its totally impractical, but definitely funny. I would never use the barrel thrower if it didn't have that other guy pop up and load the barrel....he just makes me giggle. If there will ever be a sequel, he should be a marine and have phrases like 'if I had a barrel, I wouldn't need scrap' when not enough scrap to build...or...'look who's firing the guns now' when a teammate gets in the crossfire. If theres ever a new DLC, this should be put in....along with a new Selker that does 2 blue, 2 green....it'd be the ultimate trench. Name it the Selker "some letter or numeral thingy here" Challenger.....

Sign in to follow this