Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ronnie

Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest) Kickstarter is LIVE!

...not to forget they've also released prototype 3!!

Some have mixed feelings about these prototypes btw... i want to point something out: a prototype (certainly in this early early early phase) is NOT to impress!! A prototype is to show the INTENTION of the designers. It's their little playgroud. Trust me, if DFA would hand over their prototype (the robot thingy :P) you wouldn't be impressed either! It's great that The Guys want to share this. And i like how the artwork is evolving, looks great!

Ps. the Larry Kickstarter has sent an update/message on SpaceVenture aswell. They ask everyone to back The Guys too. Which is, in my opinion, a great gesture. Thank you Al Lowe and the Larry Kickstarter team, i'm glad i've backed you guys too!

So cool to see Ken & Roberta Williams slowly reengaging with things...

Roberta_001-300x294.jpg

So cool to see Ken & Roberta Williams slowly reengaging with things...

Roberta_001-300x294.jpg

It's really great to see and hear the support that Roberta and Ken have sent the Two Guys way.

The Two Guys must've given her a lot of flowers and chocolate back then :-)

It was very cool to have seen her and Ken Williams show up in the SQ3 chat. What a year 2012 is; the Mayans didn't account for the return of game designers :P

I feel really bad for these guys. I loved Space Quest.

I don't doubt their ability to make an amazing game, but I get the feeling nobody pledged to this due to their awfully boring kickstarter video. It's a damn shame, I hope they still manage to make it.

What do you mean no body pledged? They got over 6300 backers afterall.

"Boring Kickstarter video", "it's a damn shame"... i don't get that either. If you'd say "i'm not a fan", or "i personally don't like the kickstarter", then i'm ok with it... but this strange message?!?!? Oh well >> 6,4k backers and counting :-)

Come on, adventure game fans.

We NEED to help the guys who made Space Quest make a new adventure game.

There are only 7 days left, and they REALLY need your support. If we get behind this, we can make it happen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que

Seriously. We need to make it happen, and there are well more than enough DFA backers to contribute at even the lowest tier and get this thing going!

This morning the Two Guys revealed the main character for their new SpaceVenture along with some other details, so for those on the fence wanting more info... here's the new star of SpaceVenture! AceHardwayRevealed.jpg

Want more info on the reveal? There's a PDF here or a Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation here so check either of those out for all the news!

@RonnyD1978

You have to admit that their video was nowhere near as entertaining as the DFA kickstarter video. I'm sure all the core SpaceQuest fans donated, but they didn't do much to excite the general public.

@RonnyD1978

You have to admit that their video was nowhere near as entertaining as the DFA kickstarter video. I'm sure all the core SpaceQuest fans donated, but they didn't do much to excite the general public.

True, but is it really that fair to compare a video of an already established studio like DFA to a video from Two Guys who are at the beginning of something new? Seeing where they come from it's incrediable all the things they're doing. Personally i was very excited by their Kickstarter video (updates, podcasts and prototypes also), but that's probably also because i'm a big fan.

@RonnyD1978

Their video was remarkably dull for two guys who wrote comedy games for 10 years. I realize very few pitch videos live up to Double Fine's but they didn't even try. They just sat in front of a teleprompter and went "MONEY PLZ"

Jane Jensen's video was sort of awful too for different reasons. The only ones after Tim who really came up with a great one were the Tex Murphy guys, but given how much those games are remembered for their cut-scenes, you'd certainly hope so.

Unfortunate this isn't looking like it will get funded. I only put in $16 but I was really hoping it would make it. 500k seems like a high goal though, I would think something like 300-400k with support added for new platforms at specific goals would have been a good way to go - ala DF.

Theyr actually in good position to make it. Theyv shown a lot of signs of growth, and could definitely jump up around 100k in the last hours. They wont have time for stretch goals... but its looking likely they will make it at the very end.

Now... about this main character... am i excited for 1000 poop jokes? No not really.

Unfortunate this isn't looking like it will get funded. I only put in $16 but I was really hoping it would make it. 500k seems like a high goal though, I would think something like 300-400k with support added for new platforms at specific goals would have been a good way to go - ala DF.
Thank you for backing SV, every little bit helps and I still believe that this can be done. We're getting more pledges everyday, we're getting good overall totals for the day, often with actual fewer pledgers meaning that the people who are pledging are giving more. With a really strong final push this can still be done. :)

Now... about this main character... am i excited for 1000 poop jokes? No not really.

I wouldn't be thrilled with that either, but I don't think that's a real worry. They didn't put in 1000 poop jokes with Roger after all and a janitor deals with toilets as often as a plumber. And plumbing's not all about toilets anyways.. there's sinks.. and showers.. baths.. umm.. other.. water.. using things.

Show their passion for getting this funded, a group of SpaceVenture backers got together to make a single room retro style point and click adventure game!

Pledge Quest 1: The SpaceVenture Adventure

Check it out to see just how much Space Quest and Two Guys fans are doing to try and get this SpaceVenture off the ground and into space!

And now some reassurance from one of the Two Guys himself via the Kickstarter page:

markcrowe-no-poo.jpg

Show their passion for getting this funded, a group of SpaceVenture backers got together to make a single room retro style point and click adventure game!

Pledge Quest 1: The SpaceVenture Adventure

Check it out to see just how much Space Quest and Two Guys fans are doing to try and get this SpaceVenture off the ground and into space!

Wonderful :-) Now this Kickstarter has really brought something up huh :P It's too inspiring!! DFA too of course :-) BUT... DFA has already made it, now let's get the Two Guys what they deserve!!

Well, I've just supported Tex Murphy and Two Guys SpaceVenture. I miss the adventure games heyday the making of games that had a heart :)

Eh, to be honest I was never into the Two Guys' sense of humour in the first place.

But were I interested, I'd be put off by the excessively complex pledge tier structure. If you have to make a big-ass chart to explain your reward scheme then it's probably too complicated.

A lot of the tiers are repairing mistakes made at the start to tiers. With the repairs, it's actually better than it looks.

Double Fine had the advantage that they were allowed to edit their Kickstarter tier text, whereas most projects unfortunately don't have that luxury.

They did a graphical chart for rewards that may be better: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/241404

They also had a recent Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) at http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/upxvi/iam_we_are_guys_from_andromeda_scott_murphy_and/

Well, I've just supported Tex Murphy and Two Guys SpaceVenture. I miss the adventure games heyday the making of games that had a heart :)
Glad to have you on board Tinwhistler. I'm glad the first of many puzzles you'll likely encounter in SpaceVenture (namely reading the reward tiers or the super easy icon based top-down list) didn't overly confuse you like it might some people! Shows you're a real adventure gamer to solve it by picking your proper reward tier! :P Also I've never played a Tex Murphy game, but I've thrown my support their way, adventure gamers should stick together. Prove to the industry we're not a dying breed that can be written off as unprofitable!

Eh, to be honest I was never into the Two Guys' sense of humour in the first place.

But were I interested, I'd be put off by the excessively complex pledge tier structure. If you have to make a big-ass chart to explain your reward scheme then it's probably too complicated.

Thanks for your honesty!

And i do have to admit their tier structure has become quite complex. It's very hard to change tiers in Kickstarter after you've set a tier online. The thing is that the Two Guys have been adding more tiers AND more rewards after the launch of their Kickstarter. They also decided to add digital copy to the physical rewards (boxed game), which is in my opinion fair.

So all in all: the best thing to do is to take that chart they made, and that will lead you to the right tier. In some cases add $1 to get to the updated tier.

I'm gonna try and ask if they can put a better (resolution) chart on the page.

Thanks again!

[EDIT] : The Inventory viewer halfway the Kickstarter page is quite handy. Just keep an eye on Physical Reward and Digital reward, then pick the one you like. I agree with you nonetheless.

Personally, I don't even look at the rewards - I base my contribution on how much money I can afford to give. All of the extras are just bonus goodies to me!

Kickstarter urgently needs to add one of two things: either let everyone edit their tiers as Double Fine were allowed to, or (if this would lead to horrible scamming and nastiness), have a big red flashing YOU CANNOT ALTER TIERS ONCE YOUR KICKSTARTER COMMENCES sign which flashes up before you start a project. Too many projects out there seem to chop and change their tiers about once they've started - the Two Guys are doing it, Jane Jensen kind of did it, and so on.

The take-away lesson: do your research FIRST, research what other Kickstarter projects did and why they did it, and come up with a solid tier set before your Kickstarter even begins. Too many projects forget even really, really basic stuff like offering all-digital tiers for international backers who can't be arsed with dealing with long international postage times or customs nonsense.

A new video update has been posted, with the voice of Ace Hardway's alter ego Cluck Y'Egger, which appears to be voiced by Patrick Warburton (Joe from Family Guy, among many other roles) :

Mark Crowe also hinted in the AMA that Ellen McLain (GLaDOS) will be the voice of Rooter, his pet toolbox.

On twitter both Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert had a tweet about supporting The Two Guys. Thank you Tim & Ron, that could really be that final push this Kickstarter needs! Almost there!!

I missed the interview with Ken Williams unfortunately. I'm really excited to hear that one... But first i need some sleep, these are exhausting months for a backer you know :D

Kickstarter urgently needs to add one of two things: either let everyone edit their tiers as Double Fine were allowed to, or (if this would lead to horrible scamming and nastiness), have a big red flashing YOU CANNOT ALTER TIERS ONCE YOUR KICKSTARTER COMMENCES sign which flashes up before you start a project. Too many projects out there seem to chop and change their tiers about once they've started - the Two Guys are doing it, Jane Jensen kind of did it, and so on.

The take-away lesson: do your research FIRST, research what other Kickstarter projects did and why they did it, and come up with a solid tier set before your Kickstarter even begins. Too many projects forget even really, really basic stuff like offering all-digital tiers for international backers who can't be arsed with dealing with long international postage times or customs nonsense.

What Kickstarter really needs is a built in chart or table system for sorting and organizing rewards for different tiers. The paragraphs of text are too cumbersome to navigate. Each project creator should be able to enter each reward individually, then select the rewards that apply to each tier. This should all be displayed more graphically or intuitively.

Sign in to follow this