Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Pre-episode 2 video update! (Paypal, collaboration, etc.)

The Thriller ending was the absolute killer.

Good Pr-E-pisode! (You should call them that from now on, I command thee!) Again I vocal for the paypal thingie - thing!

Small quiz, to make sure you have been paying attention. Please choose the correct answer:

* When the screen blinks it reads "turn off your computer and go to sleep"

* Finally, after years of speculation and hearsay, the text at the end confirms that Tim Schafer is a fictitious character

* Seeing those eyes again, you have an unexplainable urge to give DF more money

* If you play the audio backwards, you can hear Tim giving out the secret of Monkey Island

* Now scared that anyone who has any opinion on the forums in regards to the art style or anything else will feel entirely vindicated and spend the coming days saying 'SEE! SEE! They listen, what I say is having an effect, I AM IMPORTANT!'

* Those same people will then feel deflated when they see some of the ACTUAL art from the game and still find it doesn't look exactly like Monkey Island 2

This is gonna happen regardless.

Wonderful and funny video. I'm glad Tim addressed the backer/developer input issue. I completely agree with his outlook on it. The idea of the backers being another voice at the development discussion table and Tim making the final decision is exactly what I was hoping for and all I expect. Thanks, Tim.

1) "Possability"

2) How much of the budget went to licensing of the Thriller credits sequence?

3.3 million dollars.

That made me laugh out loud.

OMGCONFIRMED: DFA all about Zombies! Quick, someone leak this to Kotaku or something...

Thanks for the update!

I bet that the Thriller part was a hint...

Yep, I agree.

^but it wasn't funded until the 13th of March, and considering that the first episode came out before April 13th I'd say it actually came early.

Except the first episode was mostly comprised of the months of material that came about from the whole kickstarter fundraising process itself and the only new content they actually shot was of an interview with Tim Schafer. As we were promised the first episode by the end of March it wasn't early at all. Sure it was a reasonable amount of delay considering how new this documentary is but it still was late and the promised date of the new episode makes me concerned about whether 2PP can really deliver the series that was promised. Now to be fair this has nothing to do with Tim Schafer, Double Fine, or the quality that Double Fine Adventure's actual developers have plenty earned even before embarking on this uncharted crowd funding territory as since the very end of the kickstarter they've consistently shown themselves actively working on the game and fulfilling the hope we've all put into them nor is it meant to be an attack against the comparatively untested Two Player Production group, a group that somehow can manage to shoot a completely new sales pitch video in a day, edit it in a week, yet still can't do something similar with a single interview and a series of, at times, months old videos in 21 days assuming they got started a few days after the kickstarter ended. I just want to know if 2 Player Productions, not the people making the game itself but the completely separate documentarians that are filming the process of creation, are actively trying to do better with future videos. They made the claim here and I'm just calling them on it.

Wow, you are REALLY concerned with this, aren't you? But please consider, that 2PP bought new equipment, that they need time to settle in, that they are not a liberty to film everything (since DF is making other, publisher funded games besides DFA) and that there are always a lot of good reasons why something can be late (people getting sick, Notch secretly funding Psychonauts 2, whatever).

For my part: I'm am completely happy with the material they gave us so far to help us survive the time til the next episode. In fact I would say that up until now we got a lot more content, than we could have hoped for.

Nervertheless it would have been a good move to post a short explanation why the EP2 is late, because just moving the date leaves a lot of room for unnecessary explanation.

So, have a little faith, since 2PP already proved that they make excellent documentaries and the work that they have delivered so far for this project was also top-notch. I rather have an excellent episode than something rushed out.

But of course: THE WAITING IS KILLING ME! ;-)

You need to end the next video with "Zombie on Your Lawn", continue this whole Tim is undead theme!

In retrospect, given the decision to open the $15 tier, and what I've seen so far, it would probably have been best for me not to pledge during the Kickstarter. My wife doesn't like how much I've spent on Kickstarters so far and the $30 tier doesn't seem to offer anything significant to me over the $15 one, since it looks like extras are being posted, the videos posted are HD (not 1080p, but that doesn't matter much to me), and I don't really need the soundtracks. Could have postponed getting into this game and saved the money or put it towards another Kickstarter or two.

I guess I view this as a Kickstarter-karma sort of thing, and it would go a long way to see DF link to some of the other great games raising money in one of their Kickstarter updates (direct emailing a captive audience of 87,000). That wouldn't really change my opinion that it's somewhat spirit-breaking, but it'd be a kick-ass use of the bully pulpit for a good cause (since a lot of us gave you all our money, and don't have it to give to the others).

If it hadn't been for Double Fine, Kickstarter quite probably wouldn't be having the excellent year that it's having in the first place. I don't see why they now need to do MORE.

I mean I'm okay with it taking a few days to get posted up like it did with the March episode but a two week tardiness is a little bit excessive and it looks like that wait time is only going up exponentially.

You don't have enough data points to say the wait time is going up at all, really, let alone exponentially. We're only at episode 2!

No, I'm saying that about a promised monthly video series that has aired only two episodes in the three months its been around, neither of which have aired on time with the former airing five days after the end of its respective month and the second one thirteen to nineteen days after. If this was a youtube series by some amateur sure I might be being overly critical here but 2PP is a professional group that's already been paid using the money we backers have already put forward to it. I'm just saying it'd be nice to know that, as professionals, they have a plan in place to deliver episodes in a more timely manner. The sidequest series is nice but is no substitution for the candid documentary we were all promised.

It's early in the process, and DF are still settling into their workflow for this game and no doubt the same is true for the documentary. They want each episode to be as good as it can be, which might occasionally mean delaying it because they want to include something that only just happened. I don't think you quite appreciate the work behind taking a month's worth of footage and editing it together into something that flows well in the space of about a 20-ish minute documentary episode. It's a non trivial task. First they have to decide exactly what this episode is going to focus on. Then they need to decide what to include. Then they need to get all of their footage, decide roughly how it's going to go together, where the edits will be, what will be held back for release as sidequest content. So they'll start making a rough edit of that.

Then there's always a possibility, I guess, that something will happen that's super-relevant to the episode, which means they might have to 'stop the presses' and find a way of working that in. They'll run the rough edit past Double Fine who might have some suggestions or notice that there's a picture of the main character from their unannounced game in the background, and finally they'll do all the post processing work that they need to do to pull the episode together into something professional.

Then Tim or someone might say something like 'All these backers have a whole lot of questions which really need answering, can we do a quick video of that?' so they put that together very quickly, and since that's up they hold off on the release of the video for another few days because they'd rather not release two videos at the same time, and before you know it, a month and a half has passed rather than just a month.

There's a reason why most TV documentaries are filmed months in advance so they can hit their schedules - it's in the nature of filming something that's happening RIGHT now that sometimes there will be delays and setbacks, and variances in the release schedule that are difficult to predict in advance, and so if you give yourself months to edit the footage into something that tells lots of little stories, that's a lot easier. They're trying to get the documentary out about monthly, while the thing is still happening, and so far they've just about done that, with a little delay for this one which will ultimately mean it's better when it comes out. They're doing a fine job.

Relax. We're barely even started yet.

Still think a lot of the concerns about opening the $15 tier stand (and think DF ought to have charged more, or something, to differentiate this backdoor to backerdom)...

Well, they're not getting into the forum and they're not going to get to see any of the 2PP videos aside from episode 1 until the project's done so it already is differentiated.

I guess I view this as a Kickstarter-karma sort of thing, and it would go a long way to see DF link to some of the other great games raising money in one of their Kickstarter updates (direct emailing a captive audience of 87,000). That wouldn't really change my opinion that it's somewhat spirit-breaking, but it'd be a kick-ass use of the bully pulpit for a good cause (since a lot of us gave you all our money, and don't have it to give to the others).

If it hadn't been for Double Fine, Kickstarter quite probably wouldn't be having the excellent year that it's having in the first place. I don't see why they now need to do MORE.

Well, you never agreed with the idea that anyone could be upset over Double Fine changing their plans on this matter either.

All I'm saying is that it'd be nice for Double Fine to do some nice loving marketing on their image as savior of adventure gaming and the leader in the new crowd funding model, by doing something that advances that model (use their semi-direct-mailing-list power to push other games) to make up for what I believe to be a slight to the model. It's free, easy, a gesture, but powerful.

You don't make a video to address something that is a total non-issue... They know this is an issue to some people (not you) -- So, I guess this was meant as a suggestion for one cheap way to do something other than put Tim in front of a camera (not that that doesn't work, it does).

I never said people weren't allowed to be upset. I just said that I strongly believe that if they are upset, then I think they should try looking at the situation from another perspective, since from where I'm standing there isn't really a downside here.

EDIT: AND, I am glad they stuck to their plan, rather than making a 'token' concession like raising the price a little or something for the slackers. I think that would have been a silly, needless gesture. Finally, I think he makes it rather clear in this video that the money raised with this WILL go towards making the game better, so now how can you credibly justify this as being a bad thing?

Thrilling, looking forward to the next update.

Whomever decided on having a "table of contents" post deserves praise and glory.

Still think a lot of the concerns about opening the $15 tier stand (and think DF ought to have charged more, or something, to differentiate this backdoor to backerdom)...

Well, they're not getting into the forum and they're not going to get to see any of the 2PP videos aside from episode 1 until the project's done so it already is differentiated.

You misunderstood the video.. watch again.

They will get forum access, and all videos. Tim said they were now releasing "documentary episode 1" to all of the public, free, as a publicity tool to entice folks to buy in at the $15 level for same-as-kickstarter access.

You're right, I misread Tim's post in the Pre-Orders thread.

Hahaha, I haven't been able to visit the forums often but I just caught up on all that's going on and having watched the video I'm reminded of how good hands we are in with the comedic genius that is Tim Schafer.(Run on sentences be damned!) Loved the ending to the video, including a joke on a serious update. Hope everyone keeps up the great work, Double Fine and all the backers.

Looks like we have enough clues now to be sure DFA will be a thriller starring the Witcher (cat's eyes, obvious hint).

@FFSamurai

I really think you should calm down and reconsider your accusations. Guys from 2PP do tons of good work, both with the movie updates and here in the forum. It's a bit unfair to flog them for not delivering stuff according to some virtual schedule (correct me if I'm wrong but these dates are your own calculations, not some official timetable of updates that I missed?), especially if there is nothing to show yet.

I didn't see the eye poke.

I am disappoint.

At 03:01, that's probably what he meant.

I didn't see the eye poke.

I am disappoint.

At 03:01, that's probably what he meant.

Oh, THAT bit.

I thought it was some full on eye pokage, like finger on the white bit and pushing it in kind of thing...

I think he only does that for the top tier backers.

Sign in to follow this