Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Pre-episode 2 video update! (Paypal, collaboration, etc.)

1) "Possability"

2) How much of the budget went to licensing of the Thriller credits sequence?

3.3 million dollars.

HAHAHA. Laughed out loud. The pie chart needs correcting.

It's not that I'm overly emotional about this. Explaining my viewpoint just takes a lot of text so it usually comes off like that. I just question their professionalism is all because the supposed two week delay for last month's episode isn't a small one by any means (I say supposed since, for all we know, next week's episode might be pushed back another week). I know enough of the film industry to know that 2PP and Double Fine would have figured out how to do the series' entire shooting schedule well in advance of the first episode's shooting. They'd need to in order to make sure everything work's in the video's favor, whether it be something like setting up how the shots will work in a team meeting to a beaureacratic nightmare like getting permission to shoot in a public place because DF's next step in research takes the team to some famous locals for inspiration or a library to actually read up on something they don't have access to in their offices for inspiration. Then there is everything else that goes into filming something, like making sure shots don't include studio equipment like a mike boom or detracting background noise for instance. My point by all of this is that they would have had to plan everything out in advance to make sure everything worked properly, even for a documentary series that is as low budget as this. That's how a professional group like theirs acts and, given also that they'd have to have planned this thing out for the series' entire run, being two weeks late on a release is a bit of a problem for them as well since that also means their late on their own shooting schedule. It pushes a lot of things back and makes life even harder for them.  Its these reasons that give me concern most of all since, while rocky starts can be surmounted when their this bad it can be difficult to turn things around. And again 2PP haven't really proven themselves like their employers have. What reason do we have to think they can actually deliver here?

@Krzysztof

Soon as I have reason to not worry about whether 2PP can do the job is when I'll rest easy on it. Also, the kickstarter updates is where I'm basing this on specifically update 3 where 2PP themselves stated the first episode would air at the end of March and that the whole series would air on a monthly basis. You can see for yourself if you want to verify this here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/posts?page=2

In retrospect, given the decision to open the $15 tier, and what I've seen so far, it would probably have been best for me not to pledge during the Kickstarter. My wife doesn't like how much I've spent on Kickstarters so far and the $30 tier doesn't seem to offer anything significant to me over the $15 one, since it looks like extras are being posted, the videos posted are HD (not 1080p, but that doesn't matter much to me), and I don't really need the soundtracks. Could have postponed getting into this game and saved the money or put it towards another Kickstarter or two.

I really would like to know if there is some exclusive content for 30$+ and how it's going to work out...

Love these videos!

Delays are inevitable. I have studied film making, it's just like that. This is a creative process, not a corporate video, so delays are to be expected. Don't stress yourself over it.

Oh sh*t all of a sudden I have a responsibility I always tried to stay far away from those :o

I think that every time FFSamurai complains about the schedule of videos - DF should bring another 80s music video.

These guys aren't here to serve your every pleasure, there's a way to ask for these things. No one is perfect, but I can tell you they do listen (as stated in this video). It doesn't mean they'll agree with you, but to get your request to even be considered, you should stay a bit more positive and less, well, uhm, long text person.

Calling anyone unprofessional like that is, well, unprofessional, especially when these guys are involved.

I don't know of a delay, I think you are taking a general statement too literally, but even if there is a delay, it's usually because they need the quality to be the best and not deliver something half baked, and you know that.

2PP have been very informative from the start on the videos and the fact that more and more DF people are starting to show up, Tim being the latest, and responding to backer requests/questions/comments is excellent. I say to them, keep it up!

Plus there's the "sidequest" videos running in parallel with the main episodes so you can't say 2PP aren't delivering content.

It's not that I'm overly emotional about this. Explaining my viewpoint just takes a lot of text so it usually comes off like that. I just question their professionalism is all because the supposed two week delay for last month's episode isn't a small one by any means (I say supposed since, for all we know, next week's episode might be pushed back another week). I know enough of the film industry to know that 2PP and Double Fine would have figured out how to do the series' entire shooting schedule well in advance of the first episode's shooting. They'd need to in order to make sure everything work's in the video's favor, whether it be something like setting up how the shots will work in a team meeting to a beaureacratic nightmare like getting permission to shoot in a public place because DF's next step in research takes the team to some famous locals for inspiration or a library to actually read up on something they don't have access to in their offices for inspiration. Then there is everything else that goes into filming something, like making sure shots don't include studio equipment like a mike boom or detracting background noise for instance. My point by all of this is that they would have had to plan everything out in advance to make sure everything worked properly, even for a documentary series that is as low budget as this. That's how a professional group like theirs acts and, given also that they'd have to have planned this thing out for the series' entire run, being two weeks late on a release is a bit of a problem for them as well since that also means their late on their own shooting schedule. It pushes a lot of things back and makes life even harder for them.  Its these reasons that give me concern most of all since, while rocky starts can be surmounted when their this bad it can be difficult to turn things around. And again 2PP haven't really proven themselves like their employers have. What reason do we have to think they can actually deliver here?

@Krzysztof

Soon as I have reason to not worry about whether 2PP can do the job is when I'll rest easy on it. Also, the kickstarter updates is where I'm basing this on specifically update 3 where 2PP themselves stated the first episode would air at the end of March and that the whole series would air on a monthly basis. You can see for yourself if you want to verify this here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/posts?page=2

I'm still struggling with the bit where you think 2PP haven't proven themselves already:

http://2playerproductions.com/projects/rtp/

They have a long track record of making documentary content around videogames. The first series of Penny Arcade: The Series in particular is very similar to the sort of thing they're doing here in a lot of ways.

And no, 2PP and DF would not have figured out the entire shooting schedule in advance, simply because at this stage it's absolutely impossible to know what sorts of things will be available to shoot, what interesting things will happen, and so on. For example, if the Kickstarter project hadn't been such a big story, they probably wouldn't have devoted an episode to it. And the shooting schedule obviously changed in the middle of the shooting of the first episode, because at the start they only expected to be around for only 6 months, now it's more like a year. What they probably do have is ideas for the sorts of episodes they want to make, but as for when and how those episodes are filmed, that depends on what happens at DF. For example, I don't have a clue how you think that they will have known which 'famous locals' to get location agreements with when they didn't even know what the game was going to be when filming began, and are still working on that as we speak.

All of the assumptions you are making are wrong, I'm afraid. It's not an untested team that will have planned everything out in advance, it's a very well-tested team who are by necessity having to adapt to circumstances as they arise.

Love these videos!

Delays are inevitable. I have studied film making, it's just like that. This is a creative process, not a corporate video, so delays are to be expected. Don't stress yourself over it.

Except that the documentary isn't a creative process by its nature as a candid documentary detailing the inner workings of a game design studio. I too have studied film (see my ranting in my above post. I also spent my entire high school and part of my college career studying the topic, working on both scripted video shoots and live news broadcasts, and editing film for other projects than my own if you must know my credentials) and know that to do what they're doing since they don't have the same level of control over a scripted piece it involves a tremendous amount of planning and compromise on both parties. For them to come out and give us a planned schedule like they did on update 3 would mean that they'd have figured out how the series was going to work and were just putting the finishing touches on pre-production. Because we aren't talking about some amateur group but a professional one that has already been paid, signed the obligatory contractual agreements, and have had the entire kickstarter to finish preproduction to prepare for day one of shooting. Heck, I'm surprised you aren't more concerned by them being this off schedule since you should know how vital staying on task is for a film production.

Love these videos!

Except that the documentary isn't a creative process by its nature

:down:

Ah. There's yer problem.

And no, 2PP and DF would not have figured out the entire shooting schedule in advance, simply because at this stage it's absolutely impossible to know what sorts of things will be available to shoot, what interesting things will happen, and so on. For example, if the Kickstarter project hadn't been such a big story, they probably wouldn't have devoted an episode to it. And the shooting schedule obviously changed in the middle of the shooting of the first episode, because at the start they only expected to be around for only 6 months, now it's more like a year. What they probably do have is ideas for the sorts of episodes they want to make, but as for when and how those episodes are filmed, that depends on what happens at DF. For example, I don't have a clue how you think that they will have known which 'famous locals' to get location agreements with when they didn't even know what the game was going to be when filming began, and are still working on that as we speak.

All of the assumptions you are making are wrong, I'm afraid. It's not an untested team that will have planned everything out in advance, it's a very well-tested team who are by necessity having to adapt to circumstances as they arise.

Sorry man, got your reply only after responding to a previous one. I do agree that them to have planned out the paper work for filming at a famous local is too inane to consider. It's why I used it as an example of the kinds of beaureacratic nonsense you have to go through in order to film on such a location rather what we factually know they'll have to contend with But you can assume that the majority of this will be shot at Double Fine Studios. To do that effectively though, as 2PP's own script notes for the pitch video have made abundantly clear (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6731/), you have to put some planning in to accomodate for a local's shortcomings. And then yes there are the unknowns, like filming suddenly moving to a place that involves tons of paper work to get permission to shoot at because Tim Schafer thinks his team could benefit from what inspiration exists there, to consider. You guys saw the amount of equipment they'll be using. It's not a simple thing by any means to accomodate. The only way to minimize the annoyances and hiccups that are bound to occur is to plan out what you'll be shooting from episode to episode and sticking to a schedule that'll work for the the project.

And if the schedule really has changed any why hasn't 2PP come out and state as such? I mean they've had a few months now to update us and from what this topic was initially about they're still trying to produce this on a fairly monthly basis. Now if they had been transparent about this stuff around the time they aired episode one I'd have nothing to point out here but since they haven't said anything to the contrary we've no reason to think they've altered the schedule any.

I’m not sure why you guys are arguing here. FFSamurai has an opinion he is entitled to it, maybe he should have omitted the unprofessional part but otherwise he was civil about it.

People generally do not change their mind once they are set upon it and I’m sure 2PP read his concerns so any more arguing about this creates unnecessary friction.

My own opinion on the matter is simple. I don’t care, I like 2PP’s work so far and if any upcoming episodes remain on the same level I don’t care if they take two months to come out, and for another thing is too early to judge whether episodes are getting significantly delayed anyway.

Documentaries are an organic process, they can’t be scheduled the same as a sit-com.

It has been on a monthly basis, FFSamurai. It's been just under two months since the Kickstarter ended. We're apparently getting episode 2 in the next week or so. Plus there's the Sidequest video which you keep brushing off.

Precisely what updates have been missed?

I think that every time FFSamurai complains about the schedule of videos - DF should bring another 80s music video.

I'd really love to see "Never Gonna Give You Up" integrated into a video update.

I’m not sure why you guys are arguing here. FFSamurai has an opinion he is entitled to it, maybe he should have omitted the unprofessional part but otherwise he was civil about it.

People generally do not change their mind once they are set upon it and I’m sure 2PP read his concerns so any more arguing about this creates unnecessary friction.

My own opinion on the matter is simple. I don’t care, I like 2PP’s work so far and if any upcoming episodes remain on the same level I don’t care if they take two months to come out, and for another thing is too early to judge whether episodes are getting significantly delayed anyway.

Documentaries are an organic process, they can’t be scheduled the same as a sit-com.

We're entitled to our opinion, perhaps, but we're not entitled to our own facts, and the fact remains the 2PP are not an untested production company, they've worked on several projects in the same area including documentaries of a comparable nature, if a little shorter-term, and so this whole assumption that we can't be sure we can trust them because they're untested is just incorrect, and all the opinion in the world can't make it correct.

Everyone else has been civil about it, too, but there's no harm in pointing out when someone is demonstrably wrong, and as for changing minds, it is the mark of good character to admit when you made an error and move on accordingly. I know I've done so, even on the Internet. And even in arguments where we haven't come to an agreement, that doesn't make them pointless - at the very least, you should come away understanding the other person's point of view better.

I'm all for civil, but I don't think that means I need to mince words, and I reject this implied notion that you can't have a heated but productive exchange of views on the internet. We're all mature enough here I think to do so without coming away hating everyone's guts.

Aaanyway, as I say, I think he's vastly undervaluing 2PP's considerable track record, and also how much plans can and will change over the course of filming a documentary of this nature.

OMGCONFIRMED: DFA all about Zombies! Quick, someone leak this to Kotaku or something...

Thanks for the update!

That was my first thought. Yeah - Zombies!!! :-)

Thanks for the great update! :-)

I hope you folks will post some of these videos over at Kickstarter as well, since a lot of people may still not have an account on these forums, and would rather get their updates on Kickstarter than over here. Plus, those updates would automatically turn up right in their e-mai inboxes.

Oh, one thing for 2PP: You might want to have a look at your old Mojang documentary project page. There are some minor flames starting to brew in the comments section and chats, and I would rather someone dosed those before they grew any larger. I know you folks have a lot on your plate right now, but it could be smart to put out a small update just to say you are still alive, and not yet completely assimilated into Double Fine's and Michael Jackson's Zombie Clone Army of Doom.

;-)

Great video update.

For all the 'long content posters,' I'll be handing out more Fun Pills and Sleds soon.

Smiles

Loved the little surprise at the end, now I must go watch Thriller!

Thanks for the awesome video once again 2P, I would really love to see all the additional video content go on the Blu-Ray if that is possible.

I am totally for the "Slacker Backers". It will allow me to annoy everyone I know once again. :) Please keep us posted as to when you can donate through Paypal.

We're entitled to our opinion, perhaps, but we're not entitled to our own facts, and the fact remains the 2PP are not an untested production company, they've worked on several projects in the same area including documentaries of a comparable nature, if a little shorter-term, and so this whole assumption that we can't be sure we can trust them because they're untested is just incorrect, and all the opinion in the world can't make it correct.

I’m going to play the Devil’s Advocate here and say that is not an entirely factual statement. 2PP is definitely tested; just the Minecraft and Penny Arcade gigs are enough proof of that. But very-well tested? Hmm that is but one interpretation, maybe compared to Video Game specific documentary groups (hell I know of no other period) but compared to an experienced non specialized documentary group?

Ten years ago probably all the nice people at 2PP were still in college, they are documentary crews out there right now that have being doing documentaries since the 70’s or before, on serious issues like war or politics, maybe FFSamurai wants to compare 2PP to the highest possible level of experience, maybe he simply hasn’t heard much (or at all) from 2PP before this Kickstarter and considers that a bad sign.

I’m not trying to argue with you with this point, just pointing out that facts can be measured, I’m also of the same mind that presenting opinions as facts is wrong but a team’s experience is really up to someone’s standards, you can say that he has unrealistic standards or whatever but his statement is one of interpretation rather than fact, and so are yours.

You consider a seven year old company with only three major gigs so far as very well tested; I choose to interpret it as tested and FFSamurai as untested. The spectacle with which we choose to see things through can shape the colors and shapes of the things we see before us, thus shaping our opinions, facts are tangible things backed up by numbers opinions are our own interpretations of a given situation I hope you see the difference.

Again I’m not trying to argue 2PP’s experience with you, just your insistence to present it as a pure fact when in fact is open to interpretation.

Everyone else has been civil about it, too, but there's no harm in pointing out when someone is demonstrably wrong, and as for changing minds, it is the mark of good character to admit when you made an error and move on accordingly. I know I've done so, even on the Internet. And even in arguments where we haven't come to an agreement, that doesn't make them pointless - at the very least, you should come away understanding the other person's point of view better.

I agree about that as well, you should never enter an argument if you are not willing to look to any flaws or reconsider your very argument when the facts presented are enough to convince you.

But realistically how much of that do you see on the Internet every day?

I was over at the Wasteland 2 forums and the were a lot people arguing for the sake of arguing for pages on end about stuff they didn’t even really care about, as if indoctrinated soldiers on a war, trying to attack the opposition and defend their own positions at all costs forgetting why they were even fighting for in the first place.

That is one of the reasons I don’t feel comfortable posting over there, I don’t want to see this happening here, (and fortunately it hasn’t so far) that is why I think we should lay low on the back and forth when is not really warranted, like I believe is happening with this case.

I'm all for civil, but I don't think that means I need to mince words, and I reject this implied notion that you can't have a heated but productive exchange of views on the internet. We're all mature enough here I think to do so without coming away hating everyone's guts.

I agree with that, I absolutely love a healthy heated debate, and I do think that we should not hold back on our opinions as long as they are presented in a civil manner.

Problem is your not defending your views or your opinions with FFSamurai with your (and others) reply’s to him, but 2PP’s honor. You’re not their lawyer, nor do they need one, they are adults and a professional production company, if somebody has a an issue to take with them is not your place to defend them (or DF if somebody takes an issue with them in the future) regardless how factual or unrealistic their expectations of them may be, if it warrants a response they will reply to it, they read these forums, if not they will take a note and move along.

So that is my point with this case, they will be many cases in the future that some backers may take an issue with DF or 2PP. If each and every time some of us don our shinning armors and run to their rescue we will eventually have a bloodbath, and I rather we save our energy for healthy arguments that can actually lead somewhere.

This reply turned out longer than I thought I hope I got my point across.

Great video update.

For all the 'long content posters,' I'll be handing out more Fun Pills and Sleds soon.

Smiles

I do wish you wouldn't. This stuff is getting a bit tiresome, and honestly somewhat trollish. Just because we're having a disagreement doesn't mean that we're all tortured souls who need to enjoy life more, you know. Why are you so intent on belittling people's desire to disagree anyway? If anything's making me have less 'fun' on this forum, it's your fun pills and sleds whenever the discussion gets even a teensy bit heated. Please just respect that a discussion is being had and stay out of it if you have nothing to add except inanity. We're all here to have fun, it just might not be your brand in all cases.

I fully expect the predictable thing to happen now, but you never know, you may surprise me.

Community as an extra person at the table is awesome—how do we better define this relationship tho so that it works both ways? I bet people at DF and in the community have thought about this at length, but I haven't seen much discussion collected in one place.

A lot of the comments on the forums are of the unhelpful variety—the kinds of comments one gets from a client ("I DON'T LIKE ", "I WANT TO BE MORE "), but that is an utterly untenable relationship here. It can be wrongheaded when it comes from a client, but in that case at least the client is ponying up the money and is arguably the only audience that needs to be mollified. A handful of yelly, naïvely misogynistic teenagers on a forum do not represent the audience. Even if they did, should they be catered to? The burden of persuading the client that stuff should be otherwise lies on the artists. But arguing on the internet is super tiresome for everyone. Can this be avoided?

When an artist works him or herself into a corner, and doesn't know where to push a piece, he or she drags some peers over who ask a bunch of Socratic questions, point out things that may have been missed, question some specific decisions that were made and consider alternatives—it is a discussion, a debate, suggestions are offered, things explained and then everyone goes back to work and the artist is free to completely ignore the input if he/she deems it wrong. If the dragged peers make any qualitative declarations of the client/teenager variety, those should be backed up by some sort of reasoning.

But this is a role for a trusted member of one's creative circle. Who has the time to sift through all the garbage "I DON'T LIKE " comments to find those who are actually considered and meaningful? It is difficult for me to see this role scaling successfully without further discussion of how we are to behave.

"I DON'T LIKE PLAYING CHARACTERS" is not a reason to play or not play as a characters in the game. The reasoning is super important. We have to recognize the distinction between constructive criticism and fiat.

At the end of the day, I would rather read a justified debate within the creative process than scroll through reams of personal preferences of random strangers. There is a very clear difference between I "LIKE THIS WORK OF ART" or "I DISLIKE THIS COLOR" and the kinds of constructive investigations that someone goes on before declaring that a work of art is good or bad or that a color fits or doesn't. This is not a simple skill to develop.

People need to be brought up to speed on how best to interact with developers/artists in this sort of context. It is great that fans are asked for once, but we're not clients here and we totes shouldn't act like we are.

Mh, somehow I can't watch the video... the video in the forum looks like this:

dfvim.jpg

... and Vimeo says: "Permission Denied - Sorry, you do not have permission to watch this private video."

What's going on?

Thanx for the video update :)

I support every bit of it!

And yeah, it was about time we get someone to handle our community on a regular basis.

It will make things a lot more easy for the whole communication process in this forum. Cool! Thnx again!

Great video update.

Smiles

I do wish you wouldn't. This stuff is getting a bit tiresome, and honestly somewhat trollish. Just because we're having a disagreement doesn't mean that we're all tortured souls who need to enjoy life more, you know. Why are you so intent on belittling people's desire to disagree anyway? If anything's making me have less 'fun' on this forum, it's your fun pills and sleds whenever the discussion gets even a teensy bit heated. Please just respect that a discussion is being had and stay out of it if you have nothing to add except inanity. We're all here to have fun, it just might not be your brand in all cases.

I fully expect the predictable thing to happen now, but you never know, you may surprise me.

I love Smile's happy pills and fun sleds, or was it fun pills and happy sleds?

You should try some too.

Well I see you guys indeed are perfectly happy to settle for less than exactly what was promised on this project. Don't worry, my involvement from now on will be purely passive and I'll avoid both participating in this forum completely and even suggesting the notion of seriously considering and questioning what 2PP and Double Fine are actually giving you versus what was promised during the actual kickstarter. Enjoy settling for number 2 and defending our right not to have number one.

Well I see you guys indeed are perfectly happy to settle for less than exactly what was promised on this project. Don't worry, my involvement from now on will be purely passive and I'll avoid both participating in this forum completely and even suggesting the notion of seriously considering and questioning what 2PP and Double Fine are actually giving you versus what was promised during the actual kickstarter. Enjoy settling for number 2 and defending our right not to have number one.

Everyone's a cynic...

Great video update.

Smiles

You should try some too.

Yeah, I don't mind a good sledsy pill once in a while. Not that often (small fights must happen *lol*), but sometimes it's really good (like PANCAKES, hihi).

Everyone's a cynic...

True. Some people only know how to criticize, but cannot take any. The word 'juvenile' comes to mind.

Great video update.

Smiles

You should try some too.

Yeah, I don't mind a good sledsy pill once in a while. Not that often (small fights must happen *lol*), but sometimes it's really good (like PANCAKES, hihi).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the concept of someone trying to lighten the mood, but what I like less is the implication that comes with it that if we'd all just lighten up there'd be no disagreement. I'm good! I'm light! I am an optimist in life and I think the world is interesting and fascinating and cool, and yes, sometimes I disagree with people and say so. Sometimes even at length! I don't need fun pills for that.

Sign in to follow this