Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Pre-episode 2 video update! (Paypal, collaboration, etc.)

Mh, somehow I can't watch the video... the video in the forum looks like this:

*snip!*

... and Vimeo says: "Permission Denied - Sorry, you do not have permission to watch this private video."

What's going on?

Try watching it in a different browser.

(...) Enjoy settling for number 2 and defending our right not to have number one.

English is not my first language so could anyone tell me if this are euphemisms? If so, I think we need both on a regular basis.

MJ's "Thriller" at the end of the update ..?

I really hope it doesn't mean there be stupid zombies in the game? sigh!

Tim please tell me there will be no zombies in the story.

Smiles simply has a running gag. Why object to it that strongly?

And seriously, very few people read long posts, just for your consideration. Besides, IMO the arguments that were made by the one who started this really don't deserve that many words and attention from you.

(...) Enjoy settling for number 2 and defending our right not to have number one.

English is not my first language so could anyone tell me if this are euphemisms? If so, I think we need both on a regular basis.

I was fighting the urge to post this, I can't anymore:

Great video update.

For all the 'long content posters,' I'll be handing out more Fun Pills and Sleds soon.

Smiles

Hand out the pills already!

No Fun Pills and no Sleds make DoubleFieps go crazy!

Cant wait to see more :) hilarious as always lol.

Who wants to hide under a big credits card looool.

Great stuff, I was beginning to wonder when e next video might appear. Doing a pre video was a nice idea :)

The extended video version of "Thriller", musically, is better than the album version of the song.

[/this has nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to say it]

Agreed, sometimes I wish they would release those extended cuts, similarly I think the video version of Black and White was better than the album cut.

So yeah, we're paying $400k for something like 1/50th of the amount of footage we get of the Kardashians.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You honestly would want just an unedited mishmosh of numbing rambling as we see Tim get his coffee, sit at a desk and write for three hours, Oliver sitting at a computer and probably scowling as some parser or code isn't doing what it is supposed to do and Lee Petty tossing a mouse across the screen because it refuses to make a straight line?

I'm sure all this kind of stuff will end up in an edited version, but I'd rather 30 seconds of the best of this footage than all the hours of it.

I've seen a bunch of videos lately in which things aren't being edited. You actually end up with every um... uh... and even a few "wait, I forgot what I was saying, let me begin again"... and I scream that I'd rather wait for a well done production than immediacy.

I could be in the minority here... and if I am, well, oh well...

I'm probably in the minority who though the Thriller joke went about 2 minutes too long.

Thanks for the update, I think the influence of the backers is just right, hear whats being discussed but do what you think it takes to make this game great.

I'm also glad the preorders are up, its good for Double Fine and that means more polish on this game and will probably help funding bigger and better games in the future. Its also great for people who couldn't back this project on Kickstarter for whatever reason. This way more people can enjoy the ride, which I still think is the best part of the project.

Making this decision after the rather heated debate on the preorders thread only boosted my confidence in the project.

I'd imagined during the Kickstarter that we'd be getting 2x-3x the frequency and amount of video, but it's pretty clear their standards for what to release are just getting higher and higher and that isn't going to happen... So yeah, we're paying $400k for something like 1/50th of the amount of footage we get of the Kardashians.

Hm, I don't get it so please elaborate if possible. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with the Kardashians ;)

Would you prefer a 24/7 live stream like we would watch a stork's nest camera? I'm not sure if anyone suggested anything to make us think the sausage factory trip will be more like reality tv then a documentary.

Anyone who's having trouble viewing the video in the thread: make sure any ad-block or similar software or plug-ins are disabled. If that doesn't apply, try using a different browser. Remember that you have to watch the video from the forums, you can't click through to Vimeo.

That's a nice video. I'm really happy about the fact of people that could join a bit later through paypal, because a freind of mine actually could not made it during the time of the campaign, and of course I could tell him nothing, but I'm sure he'll be pleased to be able to rejoin the group at the 15$ level :D, I hope it's soon available so I can give him the information to get aboard :D

Haha, awesome. So where would I go to find out more about becoming a johnny-come-lately backer? I have a friend who might be interested.

Stay tuned! We'll have a more public announcement soon.

Will do! =)

Great video update.

For all the 'long content posters,' I'll be handing out more Fun Pills and Sleds soon.

Smiles

I do wish you wouldn't. This stuff is getting a bit tiresome, and honestly somewhat trollish. Just because we're having a disagreement doesn't mean that we're all tortured souls who need to enjoy life more, you know. Why are you so intent on belittling people's desire to disagree anyway? If anything's making me have less 'fun' on this forum, it's your fun pills and sleds whenever the discussion gets even a teensy bit heated. Please just respect that a discussion is being had and stay out of it if you have nothing to add except inanity. We're all here to have fun, it just might not be your brand in all cases.

I fully expect the predictable thing to happen now, but you never know, you may surprise me.

I love Smile's happy pills and fun sleds, or was it fun pills and happy sleds?

You should try some too.

Yeah, I don't mind a good sledsy pill once in a while. Not that often (small fights must happen *lol*), but sometimes it's really good (like PANCAKES, hihi).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the concept of someone trying to lighten the mood, but what I like less is the implication that comes with it that if we'd all just lighten up there'd be no disagreement. I'm good! I'm light! I am an optimist in life and I think the world is interesting and fascinating and cool, and yes, sometimes I disagree with people and say so. Sometimes even at length! I don't need fun pills for that.

The world is all about how you respond to it. I just give out Fun Pills and Sleds. It is up to you how you want to respond to that gesture. ;)

Smiles

Smiles simply has a running gag. Why object to it that strongly?

And seriously, very few people read long posts, just for your consideration. Besides, IMO the arguments that were made by the one who started this really don't deserve that many words and attention from you.

I'll level with you. I wouldn't mind, but last time he did it I said something, very briefly, to the effect of 'hey, we're just having a discussion here, it doesn't mean we're not having fun!' and his response was more fun pills and sleds... (here, you can read it here and see why I might be getting annoyed by it now http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewreply/213540/ ) so yeah, I guess I'm just getting a little sick of the gag, it's actually really rather dismissive to people who just want to have a serious discussion on the the forum. I don't want to stop anyone from saying anything they like, I just think that pulling that gag out whenever things start getting the tiniest bit real is kind of missing the point.

I'm not calling for a forum wide ban on either pills, sleds or a combination of them. Just let's stop assuming that something's wrong with the forum and it needs cheering up whenever a couple of people aren't agreeing on something. S'all I ask :)

Wow! So glad to see everyone sticking up for us and the quality of the work! We didn't even think episode 2 was late really since we never set a date for it. Did we? I mean, how many days are in a month really? That's kind of subjective. And what if it's a leap year!?! Setting dates is dangerous because if you miss one everyone gets mad! If you keep things nebulous only certain people get mad it seems.

Well, i feel safe in saying episode 2 should be up on Friday. We just got the final audio mix back, so we have to put that in and make sure it's ok. It's a really great episode! Tim reveals the concept of the game, so everyone should be excited about that. We try to keep it spoiler-free too, so it's just enough to know that the game is indeed a thing, and it's not about hipster lumberjacks.

Putting the Kickstarter updates together is a project in itself, and this next one is going to be massive. This is summing up the first month of development so people that don't hang out on the forums will have a lot to catch up on.

What else to say? Everything for episode 3 is shot now, episode 1 goes public soon, the Thriller thing was our idea, we're in Sweden for a few days (Minecraft), back next week, yay Double Fine Adventure!

Wow! So glad to see everyone sticking up for us and the quality of the work! We didn't even think episode 2 was late really since we never set a date for it. Did we? I mean, how many days are in a month really? That's kind of subjective. And what if it's a leap year!?! Setting dates is dangerous because if you miss one everyone gets mad! If you keep things nebulous only certain people get mad it seems.

Well, i feel safe in saying episode 2 should be up on Friday. We just got the final audio mix back, so we have to put that in and make sure it's ok. It's a really great episode! Tim reveals the concept of the game, so everyone should be excited about that. We try to keep it spoiler-free too, so it's just enough to know that the game is indeed a thing, and it's not about hipster lumberjacks.

Putting the Kickstarter updates together is a project in itself, and this next one is going to be massive. This is summing up the first month of development so people that don't hang out on the forums will have a lot to catch up on.

What else to say? Everything for episode 3 is shot now, episode 1 goes public soon, the Thriller thing was our idea, we're in Sweden for a few days (Minecraft), back next week, yay Double Fine Adventure!

Oh man, I am so excited for this episode. Thanks so much for all your hard work on this, I just think you've been doing a great job. If my little two-person team ever makes a hit game and needs a documentary about us, you can film us in any pose you like.

Well, i feel safe in saying episode 2 should be up on Friday.

HA! We see right through your games mr Levering... You never said which Friday!!! Fleeing to Sweden won't help you, mark my words!

Awww he's wearing one of the Whispering Rock t-shirts! Now thats something I'm sad I missed out on... I wanted one of those T-shirts for ages and when I finally had the means to get one they didn't have them anymore :(

BUT on a positive note... this video was friggen awesome!!! I can't wait for the second documentary video :)

Awww he's wearing one of the Whispering Rock t-shirts! Now thats something I'm sad I missed out on... I wanted one of those T-shirts for ages and when I finally had the means to get one they didn't have them anymore :(

They're working on getting them back in the store. They might be a new color, though.

Setting dates is dangerous because if you miss one everyone gets mad! If you keep things nebulous only certain people get mad it seems.

Setting exact dates mean that you'd either reduce episode quality or content and I believe most people understand that. It just boils down to communicating it correctly. Perhaps short milestone updates of the status of things (e.g., finished shooting, editing and adding new unexpected content) would ease the tension.

Love these videos!

Delays are inevitable. I have studied film making, it's just like that. This is a creative process, not a corporate video, so delays are to be expected. Don't stress yourself over it.

Except that the documentary isn't a creative process by its nature

You should move out of the corporate offices my friend. Doco's are a creative medium if the creator wants them to be 2pp is defintely one of those creators.

Leavem alone, they are doing a double fine job :D

Sign in to follow this