Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Pre-episode 2 video update! (Paypal, collaboration, etc.)

Awesome! Looking forward to having more youngbloods in the forums. Oh and a more awesome game would be nice too... I guess... if we have to. :)

So yeah, we're paying $400k for something like 1/50th of the amount of footage we get of the Kardashians.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You honestly would want just an unedited mishmosh of numbing rambling as we see Tim get his coffee, sit at a desk and write for three hours, Oliver sitting at a computer and probably scowling as some parser or code isn't doing what it is supposed to do and Lee Petty tossing a mouse across the screen because it refuses to make a straight line?

I'm sure all this kind of stuff will end up in an edited version, but I'd rather 30 seconds of the best of this footage than all the hours of it.

I've seen a bunch of videos lately in which things aren't being edited. You actually end up with every um... uh... and even a few "wait, I forgot what I was saying, let me begin again"... and I scream that I'd rather wait for a well done production than immediacy.

I could be in the minority here... and if I am, well, oh well...

I'm probably in the minority who though the Thriller joke went about 2 minutes too long.

You aren't in the minority (for the first thing that is). I'd love if there was even more video, sure. But the first episode was fantastic.

There are lots of features in the forums here of in depth stuff, there will be side episodes as well. I'm all for the documentary "proper" being a perfectly smooth, fantastically edited take on the project.

I just found some extra time to actually read the original FFSamurai argument and the back and forths on it, and honestly I'm not even sure where to begin, end or even hit a middle.

That was just full of malarkey, well thought ideas, good arguments and yet in correct in everything it assessed. From practially everyone's viewpoint.

Well except for Paul's one comment about how long a month really is... is it 28 days? 29, 30? If something starts in the middle of the month, but on say..a Friday. Do we caulculate the weekend or are we only counting business days?

Let's say a month is 30 days just to have an number locked down. 30 working days though. So we're knocking out eight days right there. 22 days becomes a working month. Yet, we're still saying a month is 30 days. so therefore a working month is 6 weeks, and sometimes 7 weeks with holidays and such.

And there is a better process for conceiving a month for a project like this. Yet, one also has to take into consideration that one week Tim might be really sick and Oliver is deep into the same coding, and Nathan just got an amazing children's book offer so he requests a week off just to get something done on that... and now your month is 10 weeks.

So, there's some "math" (better known as free, off the top my head number and business projections...not going to waste that business management degree even if everyone else does). If we don't get some kind of regular episode every 10 weeks, we should complain and a sidequest or whatever every 5 weeks. That's reasonable, isn't it?

Setting dates is dangerous because if you miss one everyone gets mad! If you keep things nebulous only certain people get mad it seems.

Setting exact dates mean that you'd either reduce episode quality or content and I believe most people understand that. It just boils down to communicating it correctly. Perhaps short milestone updates of the status of things (e.g., finished shooting, editing and adding new unexpected content) would ease the tension.

That is a really good idead for all these whining people who just can't wait for more!... Well, that would include myself I guess, because I really really want to watch the next episode RIGHT NOW, GIMME! ;-) Seriously 2PP: Take the time it needs to deliver a great episode - the high quality is really appreciated!

I think it would be easy to establish a second fixed thread "Episode Status Update" that one can subscribe to and which contains just the current status of the next episode.

Where is our community manager to fulfil my bidding? I feel so unmanaged.

Pretty please?

I want zombie MJ in the game!

Seconded.

So, let's recap: The final game will have to include the following characters:

- Zombie MJ

- Red robot

- Hipster lumberjack

- The main character should be a walrus named Poe with bipolar disorder, dressed in a red tracksuit with a tiara on his head and a monocle on his eye, he carries a Congolese passport but he was born in Finland (dual citizenship).

Setting dates is dangerous because if you miss one everyone gets mad! If you keep things nebulous only certain people get mad it seems.

I think it would be easy to establish a second fixed thread "Episode Status Update" that one can subscribe to and which contains just the current status of the next episode.

That sounds like an idea.

Before I carry on with finishing Psychonauts later, I just have one thing to say. Even this 'businessy' update was awesome but you totally stole the idea of ending on a completely unrelated song from my podcast:

Blast you fiends!!

So yeah, we're paying $400k for something like 1/50th of the amount of footage we get of the Kardashians.

You say that like it's a bad thing. You honestly would want just an unedited mishmosh of numbing rambling as we see Tim get his coffee, sit at a desk and write for three hours, Oliver sitting at a computer and probably scowling as some parser or code isn't doing what it is supposed to do and Lee Petty tossing a mouse across the screen because it refuses to make a straight line?

I'm sure all this kind of stuff will end up in an edited version, but I'd rather 30 seconds of the best of this footage than all the hours of it.

I've seen a bunch of videos lately in which things aren't being edited. You actually end up with every um... uh... and even a few "wait, I forgot what I was saying, let me begin again"... and I scream that I'd rather wait for a well done production than immediacy.

I could be in the minority here... and if I am, well, oh well...

I'm probably in the minority who though the Thriller joke went about 2 minutes too long.

You aren't in the minority (for the first thing that is). I'd love if there was even more video, sure. But the first episode was fantastic.

There are lots of features in the forums here of in depth stuff, there will be side episodes as well. I'm all for the documentary "proper" being a perfectly smooth, fantastically edited take on the project.

Yeah, I think we should consider the whole sausage thing a bit more broadly. So far we have had a budget breakdown, plus two detailed art and programming updates on the forums. We haven't had much in the way of story stuff yet but it makes perfect sense for them to use the documentary to announce huge stuff like that, and it looks like we will be getting that tomorrow. That then leaves the door open for new sidequest content that goes into bigger detail on this stuff, which is what sidequest is supposed to be for, and no doubt we will see even more on the forums.

More generally, it's best to think of the main documentary episodes as story pieces. They're there to tell you the story of how the game got made and individually to tell you mini-stories about certain things. They're not the sausage, they're the connecty-bits in between the string of sausages. That doesn't mean they're not delicious, it just means most of the meat will be elsewhere. We have every reason to think more details will come out in various formats in the next few weeks, so let's hold tight.

It's been said probably a hundred times by now, but great video.

That sounds like an idea.

Good thoughts, gsm.

I'm giving you my special Sled. Its called Rosebud. And here are some Fun Pills too.

Smiles

I'm giving you my special Sled. Its called Rosebud. And here are some Fun Pills too.

Smiles

NOOOOOOOO... don't give away Rosebud just like that ... I WANTED TO HAVE ROSEBUD... ME ME ME ME....

You know... you'll have to give me lots of Fun Pills to make that pain go away ;)

Hm. Perhaps the naysayers have a point. I've noticed that when the sleds come out things seem to go downhill fast.

Hm. Perhaps the naysayers have a point. I've noticed that when the sleds come out things seem to go downhill fast.

It's a slippery slope with those sleds...

The DFA should end the same way as this video. Too expensive to license the song? Use Kickstarter.

It's a slippery slope with those sleds...

I think sliding on a sled down a snowy slippery slope is quite a safe way to end a thread where nearly all possible opinions (and some impossible ones too!) were already posted. So in conclusion:

Thanks for Rosebud! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Good thoughts, gsm.

Smiles

SPOILERS!

This is worse than that time someone told me Count Dracula is a vampire. I hadn't even read the book yet!

Hey I really like the Thriller ending! Is this a first peek into the game theme perhaps??? Like it, I think lots of MJ clips have fun fantasy stories woven into them.

best ending ever hahaha. Im glad we are getting update videos too! Keep it up guys!

Sign in to follow this