• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Courier looks like an interesting RPG in which you run errands and solve puzzles instead of fighting. There's an emphasis on exploration and the skills you acquire will be geared towards avoiding hazards and solving puzzles. It looks to me to be something like how the Sierra classics might have been like as RPGs.

Red Goddess is giving it another go, this time with the PS4 as a platform right from the off.

It's on a costlier tier than the PC/Mac/Linux one, but it's an option nonetheless.

Mac and Linux wasn't even included in the main funding goal the last time. Definitely backing it now.

Looks cool except for no PC version. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harmonix/amplitude

I really liked Frequency and Amplitude, so I'll be backing this. Thanks for letting me know.

Sony owns the rights to Frequency and Amplitude, so Harmonix has no choice but to release the game on Sony consoles for the sequel unfortunately.

Outcast HD fell well short of its goal, and the guys behind it are busy running the usual "we made mistakes, we overestimated ourselves" spiel that all failed Kickstarters do.

You'd think by now that people'd realise we actually want to see some bloody footage up-front, not two-thirds through the campaign.

Mark of the Old Ones is up to $44K/$46K with 6 hours to go. It hasn't had much momentum over the past 6 hours, but I hope it still manages to crawl over the finish line.

Just a couple of minutes to go and it has made it unless something dramatic happens at the last minute! Yay!

It's also on Steam Greenlight if anyone's interested in voting for it there.

Go check out Adventures of Pip. PC/Mac/XBone/WiiU, with PSN/Linux as a stretch goal.

Seriously, check it out. It looks adorable.

Backed. Sounds like my kind of game (plus I really like the idea of a pixel absorbing pixels to evolve).

Should probably mention the other couple of projects I've backed tonight.

First up was The Way, which is INCREDIBLY reminiscent of games like the first Prince of Persia and Flashback (the original Flashback, not the crappy remake that came out last year). It's PC/Mac/Linux and it's almost funded with three weeks to go.

Next was Broeder: Secrets of Ohr. Always a good sign when half the words in your title are made up. It's a JRPG that isn't even remotely close to getting funded, and I genuinely don't know why I backed it. Think I liked the art style.

Finally, there was Clive and the Stones, which got my attention because it's a classic 3D platformer and it's got the WiiU as a release platform. Also not even close to being funded, but sod it - I like the concept.

Trilobyte is trying to crowdfund The 7th Guest 3 again. This time the goal is only $65,000 and it's for The 7th Guest: The 1st Story, which will be the entire first floor of the mansion.

Heart Forth, Alicia is two and a half days away from ending, and it's a mere $8,000 away from its WiiU stretch goal. Y'know, just in case you want to convince a few friends to back it or anything.

Hint hint.

EDIT: Factoring in Paypal pledges, they've only got around $6,500 to go. Sweet.

This might be of interest to some of you: SUPERHOT

I remember playing the online prototype a while ago and really enjoyed it, such an interesting mechanism so an expanded and improved version of that is something I would pay to play.

Hover: Revolt of Gamers

It's basically Jet Set Radio meets Mirror's Edge, and the composer for the Jet Set Radio games is going to contribute to the soundtrack.

It's over 200% funded at this point so it's not exactly in desperate need of backers, but I'm quite the fan of Jet Set Radio so this game has piqued my interest.

You're missing a "t" at the end of your URL there.

Hover: Revolt of Gamers

It's basically Jet Set Radio meets Mirror's Edge, and the composer for the Jet Set Radio games is going to contribute to the soundtrack.

Looks pretty neat. And it's planned for a lot more platforms than both of those games.

In other news the Norwegian Film Institute has decided to grant Dreamfall: Chapters another $335K (article in Norwegian), making the total grant $760K, which is about half of what they raised on Kickstarter.

You're missing a "t" at the end of your URL there.

Cheers, didn't notice that. Superho is a very different game...

Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared - The Series For anyone not familiar with Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared, here's the original video.

9C_HReR_McQ

Also I'm linking the Baman Piderman Kickstarter again even though it already got funded just because I want it to reach the Baman, Noir Detective stretch goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523165009/baman-piderman-make-da-show

It's just skyrocketing. Then again, if you're in your 30's in US/Can, you've watched that show at some point.

I backed for no physical rewards. It feels wrong to take something that costs them money for something like this.

How did I miss Kaptain Brawe 2?

...more specifically, how did I miss the early bird tier? Gah!

EDIT: other projects that could do with some love:

- Moira, an old-school (like Gameboy old-school) 2D platformer. They're not asking for much, and they're still not even close to their target, which is a shame - especially since there's 3DS and WiiU support.

- Adventures of Pip, a 2D platformer with an evolving art style that, despite being mentioned on a bunch of news sites (like Destructoid), is still only half backed with 5 days to go.

- Gataela is an RPG for tablets and PCs that actually looks pretty interesting, despite being rather unfinished as of late. And c'mon, how many RPGs can you think of on Android?

A Song for Viggo is a stop motion game made of paper that I both really want to see get made but also dread playing.

It's a game about a father who accidentally kills his son and the challenges he faces afterwards in having to go on living with the guilt and sorrow, being there for his daughter and trying to save his marriage after the terrible tragedy. By having interviewed parents who have lost children the creator will attempt to make the game feel as authentic as possible.

The first chapter starts with you having to arrange your son's funeral.

D2ZyhPoG8w8

Reporting back after the release of The Fall.

It's up on Humble Store and Steam, has had mostly positive reviews (in spite of some launch bugs and control issues which are being looked into). It's fairly short, (4 hours seems to be the mean playlength) but enjoyable. It doesn't dive as deeply into some of the class stuff mentioned in the original pitch video as I'd hoped, but if its sequel (it's intended to be a trilogy - the developer, John Warner, is steering clear of calling each game an "episode" as he wants each one to be self contained and stand on its own) goes in the directions I suspect, then we'll get into the meat of that then.

It's been a fun ride and somehow I managed to get a credit on the game. I wrote a little about it here if anybody's interested in reading. We also had John join us for Season 2, Episode 12 of SteamLUG Cast (a fortnightly audio shot that I co-host) to reflect on The Fall's launch and development. The archive for that isn't up yet, but it (along with his previous appearance on Season 1, Episode 10, which we recorded during the Kickstarter campaign) should be here within a week or so.

Did anybody in this thread back it? Any post-release thoughts?

I backed The Fall, and am waiting for the WiiU version, since that's the one I asked for. I'm looking forward to it though!

For some reason I missed out on that Kickstarter. I'm very interested in the game though and hope to play it in the near future.

A Song for Viggo is a stop motion game made of paper that I both really want to see get made but also dread playing.

It's a game about a father who accidentally kills his son and the challenges he faces afterwards in having to go on living with the guilt and sorrow, being there for his daughter and trying to save his marriage after the terrible tragedy. By having interviewed parents who have lost children the creator will attempt to make the game feel as authentic as possible.

The first chapter starts with you having to arrange your son's funeral.

A Song for Viggo had a slow start, and a couple of days ago it was only at about $8,000 of its $20,000 goal. During the last few days it has received coverage on both Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Polygon and Kotaku, among other sites, and has now made a leap up to $12,000 with 10 days to go. It's looking more and more like it might make it.

For some reason I missed out on that Kickstarter. I'm very interested in the game though and hope to play it in the near future.

We're planning to do it for the Double Fine Game Club starting the 28th if you need encouragement (it's also got a little discount on Humble at the moment and will probably be discounted during the Steam summer sale) :D