• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

If you're curious about al the Kickstartered games that made it to Steam, then Kickstarter's rather handily compiled them onto one page for you to browse through at you leisure. Or not. Whatever.

Here's Timespinner, a Metroidvania with time manipulation.

They just announced local co-op as a stretch goal at $90K!

BACK IT, PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU, PATHETIC HUMANS!

Here's Timespinner, a Metroidvania with time manipulation.

They just announced local co-op as a stretch goal at $90K!

BACK IT, PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU, PATHETIC HUMANS!

Thanks to a mention from Mighty No. 9, they've SAILED past the co-op stretch goal.

Still no mention of a WiiU version though :(

There's the 3DS goal at $115K though. If it makes it and becomes available as a cheap addon like the PS4/Vita one I might up my pledge for that.

The Jenny LeClue campaign looks interesting.

It's described as an exploration based adventure game and the gameplay is based around solving a series of smaller puzzles that all tie into a bigger mystery. There are also going to be some choices that affect the outcome of things and upgrades that will somehow aid in your progress through the game. I'm not sure how it will all work, but that's mostly because I don't think I've played anything all that similar that I can compare it to. The premise sounds interesting though and I really like the art direction on it.

MIFUNE looks interesting too but I'm not really sold on it yet. I think it's mostly the art style that doesn't really sit right with me.

MIFUNE looks interesting too but I'm not really sold on it yet. I think it's mostly the art style that doesn't really sit right with me.
MIFUNE failed by virtue of the fact I had to go all the way to the bottom of the page to find out what system it was coming out on (PC, for the record). That's basic information that really should be up-front and prominent.

I didn't realize that as I found it through their Steam Greenlight pitch, where they've listed "PC", Mac and Linux. But yeah, lots of campaign creators make it way too hard to figure out what the supported platforms are. Often they're even only listed in an image, making it impossible to find by Ctrl+F-ing for the platform you're interested in.

EDIT: Which is also where I found Jenny LeClue by the way.

I don't know, doesn't get me excited. Easy to grasp/produce stylish gfx (the characters lack character). Another teenager/20 year old protagonist (probably with all the consequences), looks lightweight on the puzzle side, episodic format, ...

I wonder what the complexity level compared to the DFA is. Hey, speaking of the DFA, i have to think of the interface and the steering again (btw. the mouse cursor still tends to get locked on OS X if i remember things correctly). The DFA doesn't admire inventory items/puzzles. The icons are tiny and somehow ugly almost hidden at the bottom of the screen, they aren't in the focus as if they are something important and a significant part of the game.

Dunno the interface depends on where you put the focus of the game (story/puzzles/idiots/...). The inventory access of The DIG was good, the "Look At" was logical although it didn't feel comfy enough, still i liked the full overview/access /of/to your inventory without completely covering the scene.

And this again reminds me of all the verbs interfaces (even the simplified coins). You can add a different kind of gameplay if you utalise them properly, add depth, variety, exploration and fun (thinking of consuming the helium balloons, taking to doors in Curse, ...). You can also make great puzzles without this layer (the lab stuff in TOMI) but it adds something i enjoy.

Ahh, back to work.

I don't actually expect most of the adventure games I've backed on Kickstarter or IndieGoGo to deliver the same kind of experience I got playing the classics when I was younger. I do hope they'll at least deliver either a (somewhat) good story, good puzzles, but if they fall short on either but still provide something new and interesting in terms of gameplay I'm happy.

I didn't back The Fall but that one absolutely did that for me. It's extremely clunky control wise but I like the idea behind it and hope they might be able to address those issues. Jenny LeClue has several of those gameplay "spices" that make me very interested in it. Of course it's very possible that they end up feeling very bland in the finished product but I'm willing to take the risk.

Of the Kickstarters that have yet to deliver anything I've got to say that Nelly Cootalot is probably the one that excites me the most. And I'm not quite sure what it is but I feel like it has a certain something to it that might end up in a very satisfying classic point and click adventure experience.

Hey

My name is Oded Sharon, i’m the CEO of Adventure Mob.

Recently I've been pouring my life into a new game called Bolt Riley that I've worked on since November 2011.

I'm surprised nobody posted about it yet.

http://bolt-riley.com/

It’s a 2D point and click adventure game I designed myself along with legendary game designers Corey and Lori Cole who made Quest for Glory. It tells the story of the greatest Reggae musician that ever lived and deals with many important subjects like dealing with racism, bullying and oppression, it has themes of peace, love, and friendship.

Please check it out on Kickstarter:

http://bolt-riley.com/ks

[...]

Thanks!

Oded

now_cover.jpg

I forgot to mention that this campaign relaunched again last week, after falling short of its target on the first attempt at funding. This time with a much lower target thanks to OYUA's Free the Games fund but with a very short time frame of only a week. There's only 4 more days to get on board if you want to see Bolt Riley - A Reggae Adventure get made.

a9ed7f3a9a79791da1c6861816020faf_large.png?1407266720

Bill Tiller, Gene Mocsy, and Jeremiah Grant have started a new Kickstarter for a point and click adventure game called Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler!. Set in the Azurbbean, the alternate version of the Caribbean from Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, Duke Grabowski stars a massive, brutish pirate who desperately wants to be a suave & sophisticated swashbuckler. It will be a small point and click adventure game that will consist of between ten to twelve rooms, or about a quarter of the size of A Vampyre Story. Should the Kickstarter be successful, his comedy adventure for PC, Mac, Linux, and Ouya has a projected release date of October 2015.

I really hope this succeeds, as the art looks gorgeous (as always), and Bill Tiller and Gene Mocsy have improved a lot in the design area since A Vampyre Story and Ghost Pirates. The Perils of Man: Chapter One has a design by Tiller and Mocsy (and strangely not art by Bill Tiller, which I was on the fence about when it was announced). It actually has one of the best adventure game designs in an adventure game I've played since the LucasArts classics. After playing Chapter One, The full Perils of Man game is one of my most anticipated adventures of this year. I really hope that it ends up coming out for PC, Mac, and Linux so that more people can get to play it. If this game has anything close to the design of Perils of Man, we're going to be in for a nice treat. :)

aa86f7df40ddb20f7f9f22a87dd1e739_large.gif

Cavern Kings is yet another entry in the "indie roguelike" genre, one that is already looking REALLY good. If you have a few minutes, play the free demo that's already out for it, since that'll do a better job at selling it than I can.

It's already passed its initial goal, the small(for Kickstarter) sum of $2,500. It has three stretch goals: $5k for local co-op, $7.5k for a "Monsters" expansion, and $10k for online co-op.

The $10 tier comes with the full game, beta access, and your name in the credits, which is incredibly generous compared to a lot of similar Kickstarters I've seen.

A Rite from the Stars is a 3D point and point and game inspired by several of the 2D classics:

ppj93hG1c40

It looks a whole lot better than Simon 3D and for $20 you can get both a PC and Wii U version.

Pumpkin Online is a harvest moon/animal crossing like MMO. I'm probably the only one interested in this, but I'm incredibly addicted to Harvest Moon, so I really wanna see it succeed. I'd back it myself, but I'm broke as hell

[vimeo]103459563[/vimeo]

Yeah, that doesn't really look like my kind of thing and I'm spread pretty thin across a bunch of projects at the moment. :-/ I won't spam you with them all, but I'll mention K.O.L.M. (Kind of like Metroid), which is a puzzle platformer of sorts and a remake+continuation of the original flash games, but for PC.

Both of the games I've mentioned have demos up.

Hey, The Adventures of Pip is trying again and I'd REALLY like it to succeed, so go back it plz.

Don't remember what it is? Well, it's a 2D platformer where the main character switches between being a single pixel, an 8-bit character and a glorious 32-bit one.

7b07482daeca55b977817f853b441367_large.gif?1408507345

7008b44d3c2e4f0ecb34ab831a7cd735_large.gif?1408413896

cebb8f857143996013793261b6baf90e_large.gif?1408507928

Now go back it!

Did the last campaign also have Wii U as part of the original goal? I don't remember but I know I didn't back it.

Did the last campaign also have Wii U as part of the original goal? I don't remember but I know I didn't back it.
I think it was originally just PC/Mac, but they added XBone, then WiiU shortly after the first attempt started.

Here's the original project page, if you want to look for yourself.

I think it was originally just PC/Mac, but they added XBone, then WiiU shortly after the first attempt started.

Here's the original project page, if you want to look for yourself.

Thanks. That might explain it.

See this image?

316c06f31d834b99810ee0bd8586ace6_large.png?1404445533

Ever wanted to play as the guy on the right?

...the one doing the kidnapping?

If you said "hey, that sounds pretty interesting" (or something along those lines), check out Nefarious!