• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Band Saga an action roguelike with levels generated based on the games modifiable soundtrack. Modifying the songs in the game gets you a new level. Also the soundtrack is by Disasterpiece.

See this image?

316c06f31d834b99810ee0bd8586ace6_large.png?1404445533

Ever wanted to play as the guy on the right?

...the one doing the kidnapping?

If you said "hey, that sounds pretty interesting" (or something along those lines), check out Nefarious!

He looks like Time Man from Mega Man.

What did you expect from a boring game design/presentation with a lack of convincibility, a rather lame driven Kickstarter campaign and the mediocre (if at all) experiences from quite some Kickstarter projects (games related)? Many are waiting for some satisfying results of games they backed already first, have learned that they don't always get what they once were backing, projects are taking longer than expected or that they'll be able to buy the games for a fraction (reviews included, less bugs) after release (if they will be done) as well.

On top adventures are a niche and to motivate the limited audience you either need to do it right or better let it be. I guess/hope people like Gilbert could collect a serious budget due to his reputation and portfolio or Schafer due to that he's also familiar to non adventure gamers via DF's other products (and adventure related, if he won't screw up Act 2).

If Tiller is lucky, enough backers will join his game in order to get at least one of them done. They could improve their communication skills and focus some more though. It feels like quite some aborted projects and all this teasing with AVSY1 isn't dead but i can't talk right now, the successor to AVS isn't dead either but i can't ... , instead coming up with this pirate thing which is supposed to be 1/4 of AVS length doesn't help as well. I mean did you play AVS? All this trying to sell as a rock solid experience, based on a third party component for Unity you've never shipped a game with so far. ...

Kickstarter still will be a valid option for games which find their audiences because they are great, hyped enough or whatever but the early gold-digger sentiment, new platforms tend to come up with, when there do exist a few gems but lots of crappy stuff you can make money with are gone. Does anyone remember Libyans in Space?

Paradigm -- just... watch the pitch video. Bonus points for finding the DOTT references.

Paradigm’s unfortunate life begins at DUPA genetics, a company that makes its millions by growing and selling prodigy children to the rich and powerful, who don’t want to leave their inheritance to their poor excuse for biological children.

Something went wrong in Paradigm’s growing process and he was left horribly mutated. To save their reputation, DUPA dumped the hideous infant in a nearby post Soviet abandoned town, forcing him to fend for himself.

Demo.

Hey, so the Pathologic remake's Kickstarter is in its final days, and it's already hit it's goal. Even if you don't plan on backing, go give it a look- Icepick lodge's amazingness is on full, glorious display here. Also the updates they've posted so far are worth a read just for how beautifully written they are.

It seems like Bill Tiller is finally going to succeed with a kickstarter. Duke Grabowski is at 98% funding now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/venture-moon/duke-grabowski-mighty-swashbuckler-point-and-click

I'm not completely convinced by the art style, but I'm interested to see how it turns out anyway, so I have backed it.

Yeah, they've made it.

Did Tiller have other Kickstarter projects? I know his one for A Vampyre's Tale failed quite spectacularly (which I think was mostly because the original Vampyre's Tale kind of sucked*), but were there others I missed?

*Heh, I made a pun.

Bill Tiller was going to do art for Kaptain Brawe 2. But, A Vampyre Story: Year One and Duke Grabowski were the only ones he ran, as far as I know.

This one sounds great, is looking good and i like the road movie (uhm, river journey) theme. No idea if it will turn into a good game but at least the project sounds interesting and the trailer is cool (no DRM free version yet?, maybe GOG). Hey, Magnolia Station. Hmm, there was a time when i was expecting such games coming from DF (plus the overdue DLC for The Cave and that audio game).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molassesflood/the-flame-in-the-flood

@Tiller

Congrats to him but from my perspective it's a wasted year as he also could work on something exciting instead.

Hey guys, some of you may remember the HM SPIFFING kickstarter from last year, well it's back but now there is a demo available to play!

Demo for PC & Mac:

(Download links available from the facebook post above)

It’s a comedy 3D space theme adventure game, similar to the Telltale Games in terms of mechanics. We are planning to release the first episode in Sept 2015 on PC, Mac, Linux, and tablet. If we reach our target, we are hoping to release on all consoles.

I hope you guys like it :) Thanks in advance.

Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBAh0m-PRNk

f60a89cbae8b6fa09f20004c66012597_large.jpg?1412178565

62eaf8e499eb612eddeee52c2c5adb50_large.jpg?1412329308

e2807f7b96d1ac437edeebd7ab04cba8_large.gif?1412175773

I mentioned in the other thread that I think you forgot the link to the new campaign. I backed the previous one and I'm glad to see this one return. Would also love a Linux version of the demo of possible.

I mentioned in the other thread that I think you forgot the link to the new campaign. I backed the previous one and I'm glad to see this one return. Would also love a Linux version of the demo of possible.

They just uploaded a Linux version of the demo. :)

I really like the way this looks. I hope it makes it this time.

They just uploaded a Linux version of the demo. :)

I really like the way this looks. I hope it makes it this time.

I know. I tested it yesterday. ;) It ran very nicely and I quite enjoyed the humor in this one. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/942343365/the-interactive-adventures-of-dog-mendonca-and-piz

A really promising Kickstarter project which seems to be inspired by the Lucas classics (you can really see this in the demo: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/942343365/the-interactive-adventures-of-dog-mendonca-and-piz/posts/1024079), as well as noir/horror movies (like American Werewolf in London) and Indiana Jones (there are references to Nazi occultism and the Vatican).

It is based on a cult Portuguese comic, and the storyline is set in Lisbon. It involves a werewolf private detective, his demon assistant (in a little girl's form), a talking gargoyle head and a young pizza boy solving all sorts of mysteries. The plot premise is this:

In ages past, Lisbon was the stage of great power struggles, a powerful capital and a strategic point that separated the Old Continent from the vast ocean that lead into the New World. Nowadays things haven't changed that much. What looks like a normal city extends its webs of mystery like an iceberg, deep beneath its surface. For the supernatural beings of this planet, Lisbon is the new Casablanca, a terrain that belongs to no one, where the hidden politics of an unseen world are at play and normal folks stress to build a life among all the forces in conflict. It is an asylum for the disenfranchised hordes of vampires, goblins and other such creatures but, like any other place like it, it's also harrased by the interest of different political agendas, secret societies and organized crime. In Lisbon, every shadow has eyes and every eye is witness to a new mystery.

6d32e24e47daf93e0ff54e0b3f8b0d50_large.gif?1410205183

xslide_mendoza.jpg.pagespeed.ic.bgf_JKk5Qc.jpg

I was about to come in and see if that one had already been posted. They've got a demo up. It's kinda neat.

Looks like they've drawn a bit too heavily on CoMI for inspiration for the art style... but at least it looks nice.

Support new retro horror game "2Dark" - http://www.ulule.com/2dark/ from Frederick Raynal, Didier Chanfray and Yael Barroz (creators of "Little Big Adventure: Twinsen's Odyssey" and "Alone In The Dark"). 2Dark is a video game from the Survival Horror genre, based on an explosive mix of several gameplays: infiltration, action, adventure and team management. You play as Mr Smith, a profiler, whose goal is to save as many children as possible from the grip of various Serial Killers. The challenge is huge, as you have to confront each one of these psychopaths, one after another, in their own lairs, find the exit, save and look after the frightened and not exactly orderly children, confront beings who are thirsty for blood, avoid the traps... and through these different levels, you will discover what is truly terrifying the town of Gloomywood!

a22d7cd6821b395431b1aefbd64f493e.png

The old school display of 2Dark comes from a mixture of two traditional techniques, pixel tiles and voxels, updated for today's taste and modernized using the hardware power of current 3D cards. The views are displayed in 2.5D with a system of tiles like in the console games of previous generations. But our tiles use shaders with normal maps for the lighting. In 2Dark, each tile will have its classic bitmap definition and a relief texture, so we can have bumped tiles with dynamic lighting and relief, depending on the real-time lighting of the game. We keep the retro look but with complex volumetric lighting...

If the crowdfunding company will be successful, their next project could be a "Little Big Adventure 3". :) Crowdfunding placed on Ulule (web site like Kickstarter)! 9 days left! Please share this news with all your friends. More information and crowdfunding company - http://www.ulule.com/2dark/

ShadowTest.png

Hmm, i like some of those home-brew engine based games where the devs are capable of coming up with a focused tailored to their needs engine on their own instead of producing one of the sometimes rather resource hungry Unity games. Voxels are nice too but i never was a big fan of normal maps (they need to be designed carefully and used wisely) but they could add to the atmosphere they're trying to achieve. Somehow the name of the platform makes me want to say Ukulele.

But why do i have to save/care about some children, again?! Why can't i be in the opposite position in a more anarchistic cruel humored world or dealing with evilness in an unexpected way, like those children freakin out, ...?! Molyneux had two brilliant moments in his career (so far?). #1 Populous and even better #2 Dungeon Keeper. Being on the evil side added so much fun to the game.

Anyway good luck!

I would back this if not for two things that I don't like:

1) The art style.

2) Multiple Endings.

Amazing tiers:
Pledge $25 or more

"I pirated Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island when I was a kid and I feel bad!" This reward tier instantly absolves you of all guilt and includes the Thimbleweed Park game. All subsequent tiers also include guilt absolution.

Some bad news for all those on the $25 tier.

1) The art style.

2) Multiple Endings.

Oh, you mean two of the best things about the project? Especially the art style.

1) The art style.

2) Multiple Endings.

Oh, you mean two of the best things about the project? Especially the art style.

Yeah. I'm not personally a particular fan of this sort of art style, so that's a turn-off for me, and I'm personally against multiple endings in petty much anything.

I'm sure it'll be a great game, but it's not gonna be one I'd enjoy. So there.

Yeah. I'm not personally a particular fan of this sort of art style, so that's a turn-off for me, and I'm personally against multiple endings in petty much anything.

I'm sure it'll be a great game, but it's not gonna be one I'd enjoy. So there.

How condescending.