• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

I know people are excited about the new Ron Gilbert game, but have you guys seen Crossing Souls? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/424511716/crossing-souls-an-adventure-between-life-and-death

It's a top down action adventure game with a vibe similar to old 80's movies like The Goonies and E.T. I didn't even know I wanted this so much, but I do.

Yes! I'm already a backer. I came across the announcement on IndieDB and had to back it the moment I saw the pitch. If they can deliver on that, it's going to be an amazing game.

EDIT: Hollow Knight looks great too. It's a metroidvania with tons of secrets and challenging battles.

I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned, but InnerSpace caught my eye earlier today.

An exploration oriented flying game that has a feel similar to Andy Wood's Aether pitch for AF2014. Their target is pretty low, so they may make it even thought they're currently at 67% and there's a week left.

1f5c4090544098316060d6ddc501759a_large.gif?1415296862

There is a kickstarter campaign running now to make the three adventure games created by Theresa Duncan (Chop Suey, Smarty, and Zero Zero) available for free online, for a minimum of one year.  These games were pioneers of their time, but they are now obscure, and long out of print.  They targeted young girls in the mid-1990's when the market catered almost exclusively to young boys.  They were story based adventure games and revolve around search and discovery. They were also well received when they were released.  Chop Suey was named the 1995 CD-ROM of the Year by Entertainment Weekly.

Sadly, Theresa Duncan passed away in 2007, but this Kickstarter aims to make sure that her games continue to be able to be enjoyed by the next generation of children. They're so close to their goal, with less than $1,000 USD to go and just over a day to do it.

I will take this lull to dedicate a small ode to Kickstarter.

Kickstarter, you have been the home to great ideas and good ideas;

You have been there for the okay ideas and meh ideas;

The resting place of bad ideas and terrible ideas;

But you'll be remembered most for failed promises and the okay-somebody-seriously-should-have-stepped-in-and-let-them-down-long-before-you-got-this-far ideas.

DRM free space odyssey with Jack Wall soundtrack. What are you guys waiting for?
A Steam release.

Btw. The use of "we plan to" regarding a DRM free version is not a promise. Also there is no mention of DRM free anywhere else on that Kickstarter page.

Also that goal seems a bit low. (they will get way more money in the end of course) but 85000$ for an Unreal Engine 4 space game. I don't know what they are thinking.

Star Citizen gets close to 70 million $ now and all it seems to do so far is eat money.

Awwww you'll get that, don't worry. There supposedly is a Steam release (heck, they have the Steam logo already printed on their mockup packaging), which certainly also isn't anything but "a plan" as long as the developers haven't passed Valve's general interest customer survey thingie. Which isn't much of a problem any more. If you're lacking in votes, you can always have Valve censor your entry and then let their founder expressly apologize for that. Made for simply spectacular Hatred advertising I hear.

As to the $85,000 goal, the game is in fact nearly finished and set to release in July (we all know they won't make that deadline ;) ). The game is made by just a team of four, which means that this sum might even bring them comparatively far with an almost finished game on their hands – outside of the SF bay area of course. How far? Ask the King Art guys who found themselves in a similar situation last year and were quite content with the $171,593 [minus KS fees] they eventually got.

I fully agree with Star Citizen of course. But that's hardly even a crowd funding thing any more. It feels more like pay to win to me, and develops like a multiplayer experience far more than anything else. You're not backing, you're buying virtual ships. A very small scale singleplayer survival game isn't really comparable to Roberts' unbeatable cash grab.

Oh wonderful, they're not only selling virtual ships, but virtual insurance as well! I refrain from expressing my utter joy at the sight.

And, yes, Hatred probably looks like shit on a stick because it actually is shit on a stick.

"Into the Stars" has now passed the random customer survey on Valve's publishing platform.

If I'm unable to sell my horror movie script, I'll Kickstart it and do the damn thing myself.

Did... did they ask for $10,000 and get over a million within the first DAY?

...why are the best Kickstarters happening when I have no money?

They hit a million in under 7 hours. For a simple card game. Crazy.

(Let's be honest, 90% of the backers couldn't care less about the game. They just want to own some Oatmeal art.)

They hit a million in under 7 hours. For a simple card game. Crazy.

(Let's be honest, 90% of the backers couldn't care less about the game. They just want to own some Oatmeal art.)

Well, I want it because it sounds like an awesome game. Doubly so now that the NSFW expansion will have twice as many cards (the $2 million stretch goal they soared past in just over a day).

Next time we meet up in London, I'm totally bringing this thing with me. Once I get it, obviously.

I suspect quite a few people feel the same. Fortunately I'm not one of them. I just feel bad for backing other Kickstarters instead.

I did too, of course. Only my second backed project of the past year. It earned it though.

I backed a ton of Kickstarter campaigns last year, but I haven't been good at posting them up here. A couple of current Kickstarter campaigns that I feel are worth mentioning are the procedurally generated adventure RPG Moonman and the story driven hack 'n' slash Children of Morta. Both will be available cross-platform on PC (Windows/Linux/Mac).

those who back Exploding Kittens should twitter

@TheEllenShow Please tweet "A Butt Tuba" is a Palindrome for @gameofkittens! #kittencorps

@wilw Please tweet "All cats should wear underpants" for @gameofkittens! #kittencorps

@GRRMspeaking Please tweet "I use Pantene Pro-V on my beard, because VITAMINS" for @gameofkittens! #kittencorps

This is not a video game kickstarter, but as a Flight of the Conchords fan I thought I'll let you know that there is a Kickstarter project for releasing What We Do in the Shadows in America. Jemaine Clement from FOTC is one of the helmsmen of the project.

As I said, I just thought I'd let you know, because nobody likes a good laugh more than the Double Fine Action Forumists do. Except perhaps their wives and some of their friends... oh yes and Captain Johnston. Come to think of it most people like a good laugh more than they do. But that's beside the point.