• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

This is not a video game kickstarter, but as a Flight of the Conchords fan I thought I'll let you know that there is a Kickstarter project for releasing What We Do in the Shadows in America. Jemaine Clement from FOTC is one of the helmsmen of the project.

As I said, I just thought I'd let you know, because nobody likes a good laugh more than the Double Fine Action Forumists do. Except perhaps their wives and some of their friends... oh yes and Captain Johnston. Come to think of it most people like a good laugh more than they do. But that's beside the point.

A well-timed Monty Python quote will get you far, my friend.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

A sequel to Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, set in (surprise!) Hong Kong! The dev funded much of the game themselves, which is great because it means they've already begun development. But they went to Kickstarter to get enough to make it really awesome.

I'm pretty excited. Given what they delivered from their previous kickstarter, I backed with no hesitation.

Several key people, including Warren Spector, from Looking Glass Studios are making a successor to Ultima Underworld, titled Underworld Ascendant. This is basically the rebirth of Looking Glass Studios, people.

d7f2e6d71155b5e067f4f72abd02f31569e99de763416493425b726da4be4d75.jpg

PS: In addition to having key Looking Glass Studios names like Paul Neurath, Warren Spector, Tim Stellmach, and Steve Pearsall, they've got Terri Brosius (SHODAN's voice) and Stephen Russell (Voice of Garrett) on board.

GIVE THEM YOUR MONEYS.

I went ahead and backed Exploding Kittens. Because I want Exploding Kittens.

Exploding Kittens, near 850 times their initial bid now with 4 hours left...

I'm backing a promising looking indie RPG tentatively called "Icy". The game is nearly complete with an estimated release of June, but the developers are running an Indiegogo campaign to help with polishing: A $6 pledge gets you a digital copy of the game. They have already met their modest goal and are now working on stretch goals.

Icy is a dialogue-heavy adventure CRPG (PC/Mac/Linux) in a post-apocalyptic setting where the world is experiencing a new Ice Age. The game play will involve a lot of tough moral choices and a strong emphasis on the survival aspect; e.g., your party must hunt for food, scavenge for supplies, and deal with dangerous beasts and cannibals. There's some really nice artwork as well.

Whether or not you back, you can also help by voting for the game on Steam Greenlight and GOG wishlist.

My dad passed away 15 years ago today. He was a special education teacher and substitute principal who made a point to teach his students (and my sister and I) that differences should be embraced, and I've begun a Kickstarter project to seek funding to create six 11 minute children's cartoons and a children's adventure game in the spirit of the Humongous Junior adventures.

screenshot.png

My dad left his greenhouse to his school and his students picked the name and dedicated it "Mr. Mac's Rainbow Greenhouse". The name is going to live on in this project to honor his legacy.

"Seven Dragon Saga" - a CRPG being developed by some people from SSI, the company that made the "Gold Box" games and some other great D&D CRPGs from the early 90's like Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Still pretty early development but seems promising.

"Dungeons of Aledorn"- a CRPG with first person exploration and isometric tactical combat.

Here's another one - FreezeME, which is basically Super Mario Galaxy with a stasis gun.

xx94Bmb_V8U

They're releasing on PC, Mac, Linux and WiiU.

The Kickstarters I'm backing:

Edge of Eternity - 3D JRPG that looks awesome.

Clive 'n' Wrench - Second-Kickstarter-attempt 3D Platformer that's nowhere close to its really modest goal. :(

ToeJam and Earl: Back in the Groove - not explaining this one.

Nephil's Fall - Metroidvania. Says it all, really.

Super happy that Toejam & Earl actually made it.

I didn't back Edge of Eternity, because I felt a little weird about how great it looked versus its very low asking price. But omg, apparently according to their stretch goals YASUNORI MITSUDA IS GOING TO COMPOSE MUSIC FOR THEM. HOLD ON WHILE I PUT SOME BOWS IN MY HAIR SO I CAN FANGIRL.

Of the four I posted about there, I was most excited about Clive 'n' Wrench.

...then I played the alpha demo.

Let's just say the controls were... unrefined.

...yeah.

Of the four I posted about there, I was most excited about Clive 'n' Wrench.

...then I played the alpha demo.

Let's just say the controls were... unrefined.

...yeah.

Ouch.... still, I feel you on 3D platformers. We need more of those, like now. The last AAA one was Alice:Madness Returns, which I personally thought was great, despite a few rough edges in the combat.

I'm trying to contain my excitement about Project Ukelele. Fingers crossed for greatness.

I backed Clive 'n' Wrench and Nephil's Fall too. Not really surprised CnW failed again since the campaign creator did almost nothing to get people excited about the project during the campaign. He's still bent on finishing it though and there are Lobodestroyo and A Hat in Time coming out as well. I also backed Regeria Hope and The Song of Seven recently. RH is an Ace Attorney-esque visual novel and Tom is a Zelda-esque story focused puzzle adventure.

Aw man, I missed Song of Seven. That looks good! WHY DID NO-ONE TELL ME SO I COULD BACK IT?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. :( Didn't you back their last campaign, Project Bliss? They sent a message out to all previous backers about halfway into the project. Really didn't look good for The Song of Seven when they'd only reached $5500 of their $8000 with only a couple of days to go, but they got a mention on Destructoid that helped it gain a lot of momentum the last day.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. :( Didn't you back their last campaign, Project Bliss? They sent a message out to all previous backers about halfway into the project. Really didn't look good for The Song of Seven when they'd only reached $5500 of their $8000 with only a couple of days to go, but they got a mention on Destructoid that helped it gain a lot of momentum the last day.
First I've heard of that one as well.

Ah well. It's getting made... guess I'll just have to get it the old fashioned way.

Ok, here's a new slew of campaigns you guys might find interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992695780/order-of-the-thorne-and-roehm-to-ruin-by-infamous - The new campaign from Infamous Quests; the guys behind Quest for Infamy. This time they want to do not only one, but THREE games, and they will be more traditional point-and-click adventures. One of them is a short prequel to QfI, while the other two games are the two first instalments in a new anthology. They're already far into production on the games and should have the short and the first part of the anthology out by the end of the year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/783935053/vincent-the-vampire-modern-indie-point-and-click-a - Second attempt at crowd-funding Vincent the Vampire, which is a point-and-click with multiple solutions and side-quests. I wasn't sold on the first campaign, but I think I might back this one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/825838374/ira-1 - Great looking surreal point and click set in a future where humans have started colonizing other planets and those who still live on Earth are stuck in the 20th century technology wise. The story will follow three separate archs, where one follows the first colonists, another follows Ira on the second wave of colonists years later and finds the remains of the first colonists, and one that explores Ira's past.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/izle/ - A 3D adventure RPG with procedurally generated floating islands to explore and terraform. Each new isle gives you a quest that you must solve to gain an artifact that can be used to recreate the shattered world of Izle. The game looks stunning, and though they have a high goal of $90K for an indie, I hope and believe they'll make it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/izle/ - A 3D adventure RPG with procedurally generated floating islands to explore and terraform. Each new isle gives you a quest that you must solve to gain an artifact that can be used to recreate the shattered world of Izle. The game looks stunning, and though they have a high goal of $90K for an indie, I hope and believe they'll make it.

Hahaha, okay, I am super interested in this one actually, but this line from the pitch video was so dorky to me that it made me lol:

If you don't stop the shadow invasion, not just your world will become corrupted... your yourself will become tainted, eventually becoming.... A SHADOW MAN.

Hahaha, a shadow man. Ooh that's rich.

IF YOU DON'T STOP THE DARK LORD SHADOWBAD, YOU YOURSELF MAY BECOME A SHADOW-SHADOW-BO-BADOW.

They might already begin thinking up new stretch goals, because the current ones might already be reached in a day.

Does anyone think that it's maybe just a liiiiiiittle bit too much like Banjo Kazooie?

Does anyone think that it's maybe just a liiiiiiittle bit too much like Banjo Kazooie?
Did you ever think that people might want more Banjo-Kazooie?

Clearly Microsoft don't, and anything that proves Microsoft wrong is A-OK by me!

I like that that kickstarter is such a immediate success. Peoples excitement for crowdfunding is always encouraging considering how much good stuff we have gotten from it. It's not for me, since I have no affection for anything Rare-related and don't like the art design in what they shown, but I hope the pace of the funding continues. Would love to see another $2-3 million kickstarter.