Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Not even 12 hours and they've got half a million quid. Yikes.

Oh, and this is all types of awesome:

Gvk1ZRs9IUM

I signed up for their newsletter and never received any word that they were doing this!

Still, I am super happy that their kickstarter is blowing up, for two reasons:

1) spiritual successor to banjo-kazooie

2) nanner nanner boo boo to people who say kickstarter is dead

Also, I am INCREDIBLY happy they got Grant Kirkhope back. So much win.

Meanwhile, the creators of the Ira campaign sent out their second(!) update at the very end of their project, to inform backers that they're cancelling the campaign. After having done absolutely nothing to create any kind of excitement around their project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/825838374/ira-1 - Great looking surreal point and click set in a future where humans have started colonizing other planets and those who still live on Earth are stuck in the 20th century technology wise. The story will follow three separate archs, where one follows the first colonists, another follows Ira on the second wave of colonists years later and finds the remains of the first colonists, and one that explores Ira's past.

Kickstarter definitely isn't dead, but it's not the free money some people seem to think it is.

Re: Yooka-Laylee

Hmm I feel a liiittle bit weird, though, that the original creative director of Banjo-Kazooie (Gregg Mayles) is not on the project at all, and instead the creative director is the guy who worked on Viva Pinata and Nuts And Bolts.

It's probably okay... but I feel like for the person to be in what is essentially the Tim Schafer chair, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Meanwhile, the creators of the Ira campaign sent out their second(!) update at the very end of their project, to inform backers that they're cancelling the campaign. After having done absolutely nothing to create any kind of excitement around their project.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/825838374/ira-1 - Great looking surreal point and click set in a future where humans have started colonizing other planets and those who still live on Earth are stuck in the 20th century technology wise. The story will follow three separate archs, where one follows the first colonists, another follows Ira on the second wave of colonists years later and finds the remains of the first colonists, and one that explores Ira's past.

Kickstarter definitely isn't dead, but it's not the free money some people seem to think it is.

Yeah, that one was... well, it wasn't handled well at all. They openly admitted that they "kept our campaign very minimal" and "didn't want to give too much away", and you just can't do that with a Kickstarter.

They also had bugger-all updates - the one telling people they were cancelling the Kickstarter was the SECOND one.

EDIT: Yooka-Laylee is insanely close to their Dr Evil goal. And it's not even been a day! Yikes!

Does anyone think that it's maybe just a liiiiiiittle bit too much like Banjo Kazooie?
Did you ever think that people might want more Banjo-Kazooie?

Clearly Microsoft don't, and anything that proves Microsoft wrong is A-OK by me!

Of course people want more Banjo Kazooie. I want more Banjo Kazooie. I guess I would just rather see them do something new if they can't do a new Banjo Kazooie, and not just make Banjo Kazooie, reskinned with a slightly different art design. I mean, I'm half way concerned that they will get sued since the similarities are pretty blatant.

I mean, I'm half way concerned that they will get sued since the similarities are pretty blatant.

I really don't think Microsoft would dare to attempt that. It would be a one of the worst PR catastrophes in the business in a long long time if they did.

I'm not saying that they will definitely get sued, but from a business standpoint, I think you might be a little irritated if you purchased an ip only to have the ex employees of the ip's original owner for all intents and purposes continue to create products and profit from that ip. This is clearly Banjo Kazooie, except it's not a bear, and technically that's not a bird. In all honesty, it seems creatively bankrupt, and ethically shaky.

Edit: To be clear, I feel similarly about Mighty No. 9. That's Mega Man, except they changed his name.

I'm not saying that they will definitely get sued, but from a business standpoint, I think you might be a little irritated if you purchased an ip only to have the ex employees of the ip's original owner for all intents and purposes continue to create products and profit from that ip. This is clearly Banjo Kazooie, except it's not a bear, and technically that's not a bird. In all honesty, it seems creatively bankrupt, and ethically shaky.

Edit: To be clear, I feel similarly about Mighty No. 9. That's Mega Man, except they changed his name.

Nah, they're not going to get sued. It's a matter of what Microsoft / Capcom actually OWN. Microsoft owns the name Banjo-Kazooie (no one can use that name without getting sued) and it owns those characters (no one can create a game using those characters without MS's permission or they will get sued.)

But Yuka-Laylee doesn't use the BK name, nor does it use any of the characters. All that it's doing is creating a game that is inspired by / the spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie and using similar 3D platformer mechanics. Microsoft does not have a patent on 3D platformers or on the gameplay mechanic of a big burly character with a small flying character on its back (although I'm guessing that would probably be their strongest legal argument, if they tried to claim Yooka-Laylee was infringing on BK.)

I mean, think about all the games that are "roguelikes". These are games that are 100% claiming "we built this game to be like rogue". Or every game that is a metroidvania. "We built this game to be like metroid or castlevania". But they don't get sued for it, because the people who created those original games don't legally own the mechanics/genre. They only own the name and characters.

Or like take the FALLOUT franchise. What does Bethesda actually own? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that, technically, they only own the rights to the fallout name. That's it. So Brian Fargo can make a game as Fallout-ish as he wants, and he can claim that he's making this game to be "like the old Fallout games used to be", as long as he doesn't actually CALL the game he is making "Fallout". (Perhaps he could call it Wasteland instead.)

They're all professionals who have been doing this for a long time. I'm sure they've done their due diligence.

I think we're all concentrating very hard on the "getting sued" aspect of what I said. I don't really think they are going to be sued. I mentioned it just to accentuate how little of what they are doing I think is original.

Well, yeah. Of COURSE they not being original. That's kind of the point. They're basically making the Banjo-Kazooie game they wish had been made, and quite frankly that's what a lot of other people want as well.

Admittedly, I'm conflicted. I look at it, and I think "I want to play that." But I also don't want to really participate in them stagnating artistically. It's not the worst thing in the world, what they're doing. I don't think they are terrible people, and I do understand the desire for it. I just wouldn't be able to shake the feeling of playing a knock off, personally. That's just me. But if other people like it, they should totally back it.

I think we're all concentrating very hard on the "getting sued" aspect of what I said. I don't really think they are going to be sued. I mentioned it just to accentuate how little of what they are doing I think is original.

It depends on what you mean by "original". As the old saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. Technically, no FPS game is completely original---neither is any roguelike, or RTS, or tower defense, or anything else with a genre name.

Portal was a very original game in a lot of ways, but it also blatantly re-used old assets from Half-Life 2. It was also technically a remake, since it was a professional and reskinned version of a project the team had made as a school project called Narbacular Drop, which involved a magical princess with two magic wands that could create magical doors. Sure, that game was never sold commercial, but is a thing only original if it is commercial?

Tim has always made it known that the way he writes and designs games is to "steal responsibly" from lots of other sources. That's what a lot of people do.

In the case of Yooka-Laylee, we are getting a completely new and original world, completely new characters, a new story, new mechanics, new mini-games, new soundtrack, new game modes, etc etc

In short, I think you are obsessing too much over the superficial commonalities.

They've hit 1.2 million. Guess I was wrong - Kickstarter really isn't running out of steam.

...also, they're going to need new stretch goals. GK-rap song FTW!

They'll collect the money in a month's time, so...

Also, the 1.5 million goal is an orchestral soundtrack. That... seems to have divided people. I can understand why - orchestral doesn't seem quite the right fit for a quirky platformer. That said, Super Mario Galaxy, so I'm kind of torn on it myself.

A really poor way of explaining what I mean, if you're not following, is to listen to the classic Banjo-Kazooie themes played with an orchestra and seeing/hearing the difference it makes. Like so:

448R7XujNPw

It's not bad at all, but I know I'd rather listen to the original versions of the songs than their orchestral counterparts. Of course they could ease everyone's minds by having the 'best of both worlds' and including the standard AND orchestral versions in the game and letting players choose which versions they'd rather listen to, but they haven't said as such yet, so that's just me hoping.

In short, I think you are obsessing too much over the superficial commonalities.

I think where we are differing in opinion is that I believe that the differences are superficial, not the commonalities. Also, not obsessing. I don't mind people liking it, or wanting it, and I'm not going from site to site on the internet starting arguments about it or anything. I just, personally, am not interested in it because, for me, it feels like a blatant attempt to copy their past success verbatim, while slipping in just enough differences to get away with it. And again, I don't think they are awful people for doing this. I loved Banjo Kazooie. I was even one of those weird people that got every single achievement in Nuts N Bolts (which was really damn hard). I don't hope they fail. It's just not for me.

As someone who has no interest in the game, if they wanted to make something that was re-creating the things that they enjoyed about a previous title that they couldn't work on, then it's not only awesome that they have the opportunity, but also awesome that they can bring it to audiences that missed out on the original (I'm pretty sure Banjo Kazooie never made it to my platform).

And I think that's a valid opinion. I think that the only reason I've even bothered discussing it for as many posts as I have, is the kind of smug response from Darth Marsden putting me slightly on the defensive. Yes, Darth. I do understand that people want this. I just don't care. My opinions aren't colored by what other people want. They are colored by what I want.

Me? Smug? Well, I've been called a lot of things, but smug's not normally one of them.

I understand where you're coming from, because they ARE basically making a Banjo-Kazooie game. If that's not what you want... well, that's fair enough. I didn't mean to sound smug at all, and if I came across as being overly so, then oops. Sorry. I didn't understand your thoughts on the subject (since you hadn't stated them!), but now that I do... yeah, there's some valid points there.

There are quite a few 3D platformers coming out that do different things, and honestly I'd be curious to know if you're excited for any of those (A Hat in Time is one I'm particularly psyched for).

The thing is, I seriously don't think we'll ever get another Banjo-Kazooie game. Microsoft hasn't got a clue what to do with Rare's classic properties (Killer Instinct excepted, and even then the free-to-play aspect didn't win them many fans), or Rare themselves for that matter. They had a fantastic developer and they've been reduced to working on Kinect games. Awesome. MS just don't seem to really care about resurrecting classic franchises and are more focused on exploiting Master Chief et al.

And if Rare's not gonna get the chance to do this sort of game, then at least someone else is. It may not be particularly original, but there's always sequels that can be less of a carbon-copy clone. But again, I see why that may not appeal to you. Which is fair enough.

...also, why is Conker in Project Spark instead of Banjo-Kazooie, which would have been FAR better received?

(That said, I'll be delighted if I'm proven wrong and the new game that Rare's supposedly announcing at E3 is a classic platformer. But really, I doubt that'll happen.)

I think where we are differing in opinion is that I believe that the differences are superficial, not the commonalities. Also, not obsessing. I don't mind people liking it, or wanting it, and I'm not going from site to site on the internet starting arguments about it or anything. I just, personally, am not interested in it because, for me, it feels like a blatant attempt to copy their past success verbatim, while slipping in just enough differences to get away with it. And again, I don't think they are awful people for doing this. I loved Banjo Kazooie. I was even one of those weird people that got every single achievement in Nuts N Bolts (which was really damn hard). I don't hope they fail. It's just not for me.

I guess I just don't understand how you feel because that doesn't make sense to me. Banjo-Kazooie wasn't the only game of its type. On the 64 alone there was also Mario 64, Conker, Donkey Kong, Gex, Bomberman Hero, etc. You don't appear to have an issue with what these games all have in common, but you appear to have an issue with their differences....?

Or I guess another way of putting it is this:

If the differences between Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 aren't superficial, then why are the differences between Banjo-Kazooie and Yooka-Laylee superficial? I don't get where you're coming from, but I guess it doesn't really matter. To each his own!

Don't worry. I'm not over here throwing things against the wall, screaming your name. Yet. The comment put me slightly on the defensive, but I wasn't angry.

And don't get me wrong. I can't stand that there is no new Banjo Kazooie coming. I looooooved Nuts N Bolts, even though it was such a huge departure, and I would be happy to see any new game in the series by the people that loved making it, whether it was more departures, or going back to the original formula.

I guess I just don't understand how you feel because that doesn't make sense to me. Banjo-Kazooie wasn't the only game of its type. On the 64 alone there was also Mario 64, Conker, Donkey Kong, Gex, Bomberman Hero, etc. You don't appear to have an issue with what these games all have in common, but you appear to have an issue with their differences....?

Or I guess another way of putting it is this:

If the differences between Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 aren't superficial, then why are the differences between Banjo-Kazooie and Yooka-Laylee superficial? I don't get where you're coming from, but I guess it doesn't really matter. To each his own!

The way I see this game is that everything is merely a stand in for Banjo and Kazooie. It doesn't feel like an original ip. It feels like it's going to be, and what's more, it feels it's intended to be Banjo Kazooie reskinned. Banjo Kazooie didn't feel like Mario 64 to me, even though they were in the same genre. I don't mind inspiration at all. This does not feel, to me, like inspiration, but like an exact copy. And again, it's kind of their's to copy, so I'm not up in arms over it, and I don't think people are making bad decisions by supporting it. It's, again, just not up my alley.

The way I see this game is that everything is merely a stand in for Banjo and Kazooie. It doesn't feel like an original ip. It feels like it's going to be, and what's more, it feels it's intended to be Banjo Kazooie reskinned. Banjo Kazooie didn't feel like Mario 64 to me, even though they were in the same genre. I don't mind inspiration at all. This does not feel, to me, like inspiration, but like an exact copy. And again, it's kind of their's to copy, so I'm not up in arms over it, and I don't think people are making bad decisions by supporting it. It's, again, just not up my alley.

I'm not entirely sure that it is an exact copy, though. I can only think of three things supporting that assertion:

1) It stars a bipedal character with a flying character on its back.

2) There are collectible doo-dads that seem to follow a similar naming convention (e.g. jiggies vs pagies)

3) NPCs will apparently speak in gibberish voices as in banjo-kazooie (but banjo-kazooie was not the only game to do that).

It's definitely meant to be an homage/throwback to banjo-kazooie, but I just can't agree that it's an exact copy. At least not with the currently available information. (Maybe I'll be proven wrong in the end!)

A few more some of you might be interested in:

The Intergalactic Trashman - A space exploration / action Platformer hybrid with a cartoony style and lots of spaceship and character upgrades. demo

Songbringer - a Zelda-esque action RPG with tons of secrets and worlds procedurally generated from a 6 letter seed.

Apartment - a Gone Home-esque series of vignettes exploring the events leading up to a break up. demo

Elsinore - Hamlet meets Groundhog Day in a narrative driven adventure game.

Nice name. Not familiar at ALL.

I only really have two issues with this.

1) I'm really not sold on the concept art. I get that that's all it is, but still, it doesn't give the best first impression.

2) No WiiU? :(

EDIT: Wait, $28 to actually get the game? That seems a lot... well, compared to other Kickstarters, anyway.

Nice name. Not familiar at ALL.

I don't know what you mean. Are you suggesting the name was borne of some other title?

1) I'm really not sold on the concept art. I get that that's all it is, but still, it doesn't give the best first impression.

2) No WiiU? :(

EDIT: Wait, $28 to actually get the game? That seems a lot... well, compared to other Kickstarters, anyway.

The concept art doesn't set me on fire either, mostly because it feels too bright and clean for a gothic horror game. The concept art needs more shadow, and dust, and grit. It could do with a little less otaku.

$28 is definitely a lot compared to other kickstarters, but there are no rules for this---only conventions. Since this is apparently a hybrid kickstarter/publisher production, the publisher half might be calling the shots on that one. I think he would probably raise money a lot faster if he set it to $15 or $20 though, definitely.

OANST: This might put your mind at ease a little:

There are certain expectations associated with this type of game and we wanted to show right away that we could tick every box for oldschool Rare fans. Plus, we couldn’t really claim ‘Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor’ and then not show an energetic buddy-duo and awesome Grant Kirkhope tune!

But this is only part one of our game reveal and fans will see a lot of new ideas as we move further through development. A lot of people have been crying out for a proper platforming adventure game, but we totally understand that simply replicating what we did in the past won’t be good enough – we need to innovate and surprise people, and we fully plan to do so.

From Jim Sterling's interview with the team, if anyone's interested.

Holy smokes! I didn't know about the Yooka-Laylee Kickstartert until now. Banjo-Kazooie is a fantastic game, and I'm eagerly anticipating the game.

Both Banjo Kazooie and Star Control getting new games i something I didn't think would happen.