Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

So... Is the Kickstarter just for promotional purposes? Feels that way.

I feel cheated now. Though I still paid less then the game will most likely cost.

A Kickstarter campaign is a great way of marketing your game. :)

It's a bit inappropriate since that's not what the platform is for - if that is all it is, then it's uncool for them to not be transparent about that.

It's a bit inappropriate since that's not what the platform is for - if that is all it is, then it's uncool for them to not be transparent about that.

Yeah, I know, but some people use it for that purpose.

Backed shenmue with $500.

I can't blame sony, no one in 14 years gave Shenmue anything, it was a high risk bet, people even thought that it couldn't even raise 100k. They just needed to see if it was just fanboyism or if there was actually something there.

BTW Shenmue is mostly known as a legend but few people actually played it. It's not a castlevania or a megaman, it's a niche game with a hardcore cult following.

I'm stupidly happy, I thought this would never happen, it still feels like a dream.

Shenmue was one of the best games ever made (my favorite game of all time bar none).

I agree. They need to stop this like now. Kickstarter is not a "test public interest to decide how much we're willing to pay" platform. This is a publisher that is functionally using Kickstarter as a sneaky pre-order system with the added benefit that it gives them a small discount on their overall payment to the developer. That is NOT what this service is for.

It's giving Kickstarter LOTS of money, so the cynic in me feels like Kickstarter would never stop it. But in my opinion Kickstarter needs to nip this in the bud the same way Steam had to nip Early Access usage in the bud.

Shenmue is a third party game, they need the money, that's why there's a kickstarter.

Sony just helped them spread the word with a spot in the E3, and aiding with ps4 suppport/marketing.

The same happened with grim fandango, and I guess a lot of people here were happy about this, and Shenmue III was/is a high risk game compared to Grim.

It's not just propaganda or a pre-sale, it's just that sony is going to aid in the development.

Shenmue is a third party game, they need the money, that's why there's a kickstarter.

How much money do they need though? If the original game cost $50m in 90s money, then $2m certainly isn't going to fund this one. Unless they've added more information since I looked, there was no indication of what the $2m would achieve, whether the project could go ahead without that, nor of what stakeholders are involved.

Sony just helped them spread the word with a spot in the E3, and aiding with ps4 suppport/marketing.

The same happened with grim fandango, and I guess a lot of people here were happy about this, and Shenmue III was/is a high risk game compared to Grim.

Sony funded Grim Remastered's development so far as I'm aware.

Suzuki has already told that Shenmue III would be a lot less expensive than the first 2 games (that 70m figure was for shenmue 1 and 2, the saturn version, preproduction, trips to china, the unique engine for it's time, and marketing). This new Shenmue is going to be cheaper and hopefully it'll capture what made Shenmue so great.

Sony is going to fund this, but they're going to see how much interest could it carry. The game is still going to be a YSnet game (a new company).

I don't see the big fuss about it. 14 years of waiting for someone to put money in it, and Sony did it, but with the help of fans.

I couldn't be happier.

Sony is going to fund this, but they're going to see how much interest could it carry. The game is still going to be a YSnet game (a new company).

I don't see the big fuss about it. 14 years of waiting for someone to put money in it, and Sony did it, but with the help of fans.

I couldn't be happier.

As you yourself said, Sony's going to be at least part funding this. THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED ON THE KICKSTARTER. to find much information about this at all. There's your fuss.

I myself don't have a problem with situations like this - if I did, I wouldn't have backed Bloodstained. But if the game's going to be funded, even in part, by a large corporation who will almost inevitably have stipulations about the product their money will be spent on, you need full disclosure on that or it's going to feel astonishingly skeezy.

How much are Sony putting into this? Does their money come with an exclusivity clause? Does it come with ANY stipulations? These are important questions that really should have been answered from the get-go, and instead we know nothing.

Yes, it's awesome that Shenmue 3 is going to be a thing*. But they're taking money from ordinary people to make it, and they're not telling us the full story as to what that money's going to be spent on. That's... that's not as awesome.

I'd like it even more if Sega (who own the rights to the first two) announced an HD re-release of the first two as well so I can actually play the damn things and see what all the fuss is about, but whatever.

I couldn't be happier.

As you yourself said, Sony's going to be at least part funding this. THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED ON THE KICKSTARTER. There's your fuss.

I myself don't have a problem with situations like this - if I did, I wouldn't have backed Bloodstained. But if the game's going to be funded, even in part, by a large corporation, you need full disclosure on that or it's going to feel astonishingly skeezy.

Yh I don't see the point of stretch goals when Sony will front the rest if the 2 mill was just an insentuve\proof ppl wanted it.

The problem is we don't know anything. They really need to tell us what's going on.

(Also, I updated my previous post with more stuff.)

Found this article. It supposedly has a bit more info about the funding thing, but my French is terrible. Anyone here speak French that can go through and find the info?

EDIT: Google Translate (and me tidying things up a bit) provides this:

If the game is exclusive to Playstation 4 (and PC), it is not by chance. Sony and Suzuki began negotiating in 2014 at the Game Developer Conference. For more funding, Kickstarter would be used to measure the interest of fans. "If they support the project, then we will too," said Gio Corsi, who oversees Sony projects with third-party publishers, at the Live Playstation event. The support is not just logistical. Sony confirmed to 20 Minutes [the website] that there will "obviously" be financial support.

Sony to the rescue

No game had reached two million dollars on Kickstarter as fast as Shenmue 3 . But to achieve an ambitious blockbuster, it's almost pocket money. "Obviously, this is not enough," says Biscay. His company, Shibuya Productions, already involved in the reboot of the anime Astroboy , participate in the financing. The other white knight called Sony.

If the game is exclusive to Playstation 4 (and PC), it is not by chance. Sony and Suzuki began negotiating in 2014 at the Game Developer Conference. More funding, Kickstarter is used here to take the temperature by measuring the interest of fans. "If they support the project, then we will achieve," said at the event Live Playstation Gio Corsi, who oversees Sony projects with third-party publishers. The support is not just logistics. Sony confirms 20 Minutes that there will "obviously" financial support.

The first Shenmue had cost between $ 47 million ( according Suzuki ) and 70 million (according to Sega). This suite should be made ​​for less than that, as the game uses the Unreal Engine and not a house solution created from scratch as the original game. According Biscay, Suzuki already has a "clear" vision of cutting adventure, to be accessible to all those who had not played the first two parts. "It remains only to manufacture and meet the challenge not to disappoint the fans," he concludes. Hopefully the end result will be better than the film Veronica Mars .

People backed the game for a Shenmue III game for pc/ps4

Sony used it to gauge interest (like a lot of kickstarters get publishers).

I don't know what people are expecting sony to say. Yes, fuck Yu Suzuki, well do a yakuza reskin and call it shenmue ??

They are being quite honest, it's a third party game that they are going to fund, the kickstarter is to gauge the scope of the game before doing something irrationally big (give Shenmue the scope that it'll make profit). It's not like they even waited to say they're backing it, or something shady as people are putting it to be. And Yu Suzuki wants the fan input, and as a thanks because he knows that part of all this is because the community never lost hope.

EDIT: Yu Suzuki is still looking for investment, so the best the kickstarter goes he'll have more posibilities, and that's pretty much what a KICKSTART is about.

Shenmue III is going to be awesome, I can feel it.

I have no problems with them using kickstarter this way. It's close enough to original purpose of the site, and even if the system is not fully intended for this, users of a system will always always stretch that intent as far as possible.

And it was of course no chance that the $2 million would be anywhere close to what's needed for a game like this.

That said, with what I know, I have no will or intent to support it. They have reached the goal to prove that there's an interest for the game, and I can't see any reason for me to contribute when that goal is achieved.

shredingskin - you seem to be ignoring the biggest issue we have with this, which is that none of the Sony funding is mentioned on the Kickstarter page and has only really come to light the day after the Kickstarter met its $2 million goal.

Most of us are fine with Sony helping fun the game. It's the lack of upfront transparency that was/is the problem.

Information is my issue. For instance, if this is legitimate and they are asking for money because they want to go a bit beyond what their funding allows, SAY SO. Even if this is so, the stretch goals seem like a BS way of making backers feel more accomplished. I'm not blaming anyone who backs this. After all, big Kickstarters aren't funded because people believe in them, they're funded by people buying perks. If you're buying a perk, all the power to you.

Remember a few years ago when they would shut down projects that had previous funding? Kickstarter is just rolling in the money now.

My biggest problem with it is the dishonesty by omission. Kickstarter is a crowdfuding platform to help projects get off the ground. It is not a platform "for gauging interest", even if you are quantifying interest with money. It is a sleezy use of the platform.

Now I don't have any problem if Sony wants to come out and say, "We will fund Shenmue III if fans put up at least 2 million in pre-orders or crowdfunding donations. If we get that, we'll fund the rest." Okay, that's fine.

But to present it as a project that needs crowdfunding to happen when that is not at all the case, then that's just shady. To present it as "this project needs 2 million dollars" when really it needs more like 10 to 20 million, is dishonest by omission. It's a misrepresentation of what is actually going on. What they are doing may not be technically lying, but it is kind of sleezy.

The apparent sleeze can be fixed a number of ways:

1) Kickstarter acknowledges that this is an intended and fair use of their platform

2) Creator and publisher (or other outside financier) are completely up front about the arrangement. I don't mean admitting it later in an interview or press release when asked, and I don't mean kinda sorta mentioning it casually on the kickstarter page. I mean, making it VERY clear that there is other money involved. Because it is important for backers to know what their money is accomplishing. Is my money literally paying for a project? That's one thing. Is my money merely a request for a publisher to fund the game? That's something else entirely.

3) Find another way of "gauging interest" that doesn't involve taking money from people who may or may not understand your little kickstarter scheme.

What they are doing is not technically dishonest or criminal. But an employed adult putting on a garbage bag and standing on the motorway with an outstretched cup and a sign that says "thank you for your kindness" is not technically dishonest or criminal either. It's just gross.

Apparently shuei says they are not backing Shenmue and they just thought in giving him a hand with E3 presence :(

More stretch goals added to shenmue I'm not clear how stretch goals work if Sony is fronting the big bucks now it's not like any of this would cost too much more then the amount it costs to make a game.

1e2b3203981f66161b5e321a6c8edb02_original.png?v=1434576691&w=680&h=&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=787b2cff96222e3c61eeb6d2b73fbdf2

I'm not attacing them or anything I can't wait for shenmue but I am legitimately curious what's up with stretch goals and Sony?

I don't understand the problem, as it seems to me they've been honest about the fact that the Kickstarter won't be the only method of funding for the game.

Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

Is the problem everyone is having simply because it's been revealed that Sony is providing some of the funding? It's naive to think that just because it's Sony, Ys Net doesn't actually need the additional money. Shenmue is a series that is notorious for costing much more than they managed to bring in, so it's not surprising that Sony wouldn't be willing to pony up the whole cost.

Note that the above quote also mentions outside investments in the plural form. It's likely there are other sources (angel investors, perhaps?) providing funding for this game as well. Sony and the Kickstarter are likely just a piece of the larger multi-million dollar pie, and all are likely needed to get the project to a level that Yu Suzuki is comfortable with, considering the high cost of previous installments.

My personal issue is Kickstarter. This game is not being Kickstart-ed. It's being polished with funds. They don't NEED the funding to make the game. If they did, they wouldn't have done that whole Sony shtick. Did you watch the Sony conference? The whole thing is a PR stunt. sure they'll use the money and it may actually make the game better, but it's naive to think that Sony would attach itself so publicly to a project that would fall flat. This game was coming out no matter what. Don't kid yourself.

If they did it on Indiegogo, I would've had no problem.

By the way, I've had issue with other projects doing the same. E3 just mostly upset me this year and I'm picking on this game. Aside from South Park & the R+C trailer, I found the whole thing pretty meh.

EDIT-again:

You know, I'd be somewhat okay if it came down to Sony telling them, "Look, this isn't a huge game, you're costing too much, and you're out of time. We're pulling the plug" and this was their response to say it'll be worth it. To give them a chance, to show interest and keep Sony on board. It's a tough one to swallow being a cult game and the Kickstarter taking valuable on-paper revenue for the game post release. I took a shower and thought about it a bit and the KS would severely impact sales. For what it's costing, on paper, this game will be a massive bomb(at least in NA) since a huge chunk of sales are going into KS. That isn't a good model to follow at all and these guys aren't exactly new at this. It may NEED this to have the game come out, it just feels really really fishy on the surface.

Just like the Igavania game, I believe this move was just to prove the financiers that it's worth pursuing the game project, and not to drop the project for more gainful endeavours.

Honestly, I cannot imagine a platform more able to drum up interest in a game than having it revealed and promoted in such a high profile and otherwise well done conference.