Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Sort of whatever beat'em up, but I'm kind of digging the Kickstarter page itself.

Judgment of Rage

Plus there are expensive rewards that includes "original hand art work by your favorite voice artist"... wait... what? Either that's extremely awesome, or most likely, they are all just decent artists. Sounds weird though and I hope they can't draw and they're just signed horrible pictures.

Looks good! I backed it, but I'm a bit worried about the small amount they are asking for.

Looks good! I backed it, but I'm a bit worried about the small amount they are asking for.
Well, they do seem to have most of the game done already, so that might explain it.

TSIOQUE

"A dark but playful point and click adventure, hand-animated in glorious frame-by-frame 2D."

A couple of hours left to support it.

oEFYuiOaIAw

The developer of The Book of Unwritten Tales and The Raven, KING Art Games, has a Kickstarter campaign up for their upcoming fantasy RPG with physics-based combat.

nN0AiPjy1RY

The game will be available for Windows, Linux, Mac, PS4 and XB1.

In other news, The Journey Down developer Skygoblin plans to launch a Kickstarter campaign to fund the third chapter of TJD next month:

http://www.skygoblin.com/2015/tjd3-kickstarter-and-cast/

King Art Games (the people who did The Book of Unwritten Tales, The Raven and Battle Worlds Kronos) have a new crowdfunding campaign up for a fantasy RPG called The Dwarves. After initially shying away from it, they committed to Mac and Linux support during the first week as a base deliverable alongside Windows.

A few interesting campaigns:

First Wonder

Spritual sequel to MDK and Giants: Citizen Kabuto by the creator of those games, Nick Bruty. They're aiming for $500k, and it doesn't look too promising with "only" $10k pledged after the first day on Kickstarter.

ESSENCE

Another one that's struggling, this a gorgeous looking surreal 3D exploration game with puzzles.

Megamagic

80s neon style mix of RTS and RPG, inspired by franchises like Diablo, Zelda and Command & Conquer, and made by the developers of Nihilumbra

tiny & Tall: Gleipnir

Point-and-click adventure based on a French web comic about two dwarves who are to make the chain that will hold the wolf Fenrir from Norse mythology. (Has Windows and Mac demo.)

The developers of The Journey Down, Skygoblin, are going to launch a campaign next week to fund chapter 3 of the series, so that's also something to look forward to for crowdfunding enthusiasts.

That Essence game *looks* amazing, visually, but as a campaign I feel like it has two significant problems:

1) The visual art is so good that it will make people suspicious (i.e. "this doesn't look like a studio that actually needs our money").

2) While there is some gameplay described in generic terms in the project description, zero actual gameplay is shown in the video. No one in the video discusses the game or what you will be doing in it. It is just a series of gorgeous looking 3D environments. And that sort of video is game industry equivalent of saying "we can't show you any gameplay because we don't have any yet". So... that's a little weird, too.

The game looks gorgeous, and I'm not uninterested. It's just not a very good sell yet, as awesome as that art may be.

1) Maybe. That thought didn't strike me though, as having skills doesn't equate having money. It doesn't even mean that you have your own studio and can just put aside time and money to work on a game for X number of months/years that might not (probably won't) sell enough copies to cover the cost of development when it's released.

2) That's true, and it looks like it's something they're planning on rectifying in a future update. The way things are going now though, it will probably be too little, too late.

I actually don't feel the way I described in #1, but in a lot of the kickstarter post mortems and analyses I've read from devs who have used kickstarter, it is repeatedly mentioned as a potential trap for kickstarter campaigns. If your pitch video doesn't makes the game look not done ENOUGH (e.g. just a bunch of concept art and untextured 3D models, etc), then people can potentially think that maybe you don't know what you're doing and will not finish the project, because they see no demonstration that you are capable of doing the later steps that lead up to a game. On the other hand, if you make the game look TOO developed, then people will wonder, wait, why do you need my money again?

It's a hard thing to quantify, because it's just people's gut feelings, but it does seem to be a thing, based on the kinds of negative comments (from backers and non-backers) that projects receive.

Backer perception can hinge on such a stupidly small thing. Even Ron Gilbert had to make a post on gamasutra recently explaining that he mentioned in a podcast discussion with his team recently that one thing he is worried about is money, and backers immediately started screaming that the project was in trouble, was out of money, etc. But he was just saying he is worried about money the same way we are ALL worried about money---i.e. it's something you have to worry about and think about all the time. But the project is fine.

So it's really hard to account for what backers' visceral reactions are going to be to any given thing and try to head them off. Exactly how much you should show or not show and in what state in the pitch video is one of those squishy areas. I think overall, devs are getting better at it a little bit at a time, but it's still a tricky thing, the pitch video.

That would be neat, but Kickstarter is sorely lacking when it comes to filters for platforms and genres. The best they can muster when it comes to games is a video games category, so I think they're far from being able to make any sort of recommendations based on your backer history. Their site is barely functional on mobile browsers and they don’t have an Android app. Finding anything on your own there requires tons of digging but there are sites like Cliqist.com that covers many of the more interesting video game campaigns.

Really bummed that First Wonder isn't doing better. I would have thought that a spiritual sequel to MDK and Giants: Citizen Kabuto would be something lots of people would be desperate for, but halfway in, it hasn't even reached $50k.

Great to see the The Journey Down campaign doing so well though. :) Looks like they might hit their goal tomorrow.

Wanderer

"An episodic 2D adventure game blending cinematic platformer and RPG into an immersive and beautiful lo-fi sci-fi universe."

Looks pretty neat.

Anyone mentioned Indivisible, an RPG by the people behind Skullgirls?

Looks pretty interesting, and there's a playable prototype if you wanna see what the game'll be like. Which is always nice.