Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Did anyone back the Lioness kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967459848/lioness

I didn't myself, but I got to thinking about it recently, because I remember it getting a lot of recommendations from different gaming sites. But no one seem to remember it now, where it seems to be a failure - 15 months without any updates, and project creator who just answers all questions if it's still happening with a simple "yes", without any specific details at all.

Really bummed that First Wonder isn't doing better. I would have thought that a spiritual sequel to MDK and Giants: Citizen Kabuto would be something lots of people would be desperate for, but halfway in, it hasn't even reached $50k.

Great to see the The Journey Down campaign doing so well though. :) Looks like they might hit their goal tomorrow.

First Wonder kickstarter was cancelled now. Sad, but not really that surprising, neither the old games or the genre has enough fans to make such a high goal possible. They're talking about possibly trying to raise money for a singleplayer game, by attempting to get a multiplayer version on early access, but it would have to be a real hit on EA for that to happen.

Anyone mentioned Indivisible, an RPG by the people behind Skullgirls?

Looks pretty interesting, and there's a playable prototype if you wanna see what the game'll be like. Which is always nice.

I thought I had, but nope. I played the prototype and was sold on it. The platforming bits aren't the most interesting in the prototype, but I think they show a lot of promise. I really enjoyed the semi-turn-based combat even though I haven't managed to beat the level 2 boss yet.

First Wonder kickstarter was cancelled now. Sad, but not really that surprising, neither the old games or the genre has enough fans to make such a high goal possible. They're talking about possibly trying to raise money for a singleplayer game, by attempting to get a multiplayer version on early access, but it would have to be a real hit on EA for that to happen.

Yeah, things have changed a lot since 2012/early 2013 when pretty much everything got funded. These days it seems like you either have to have a large following to begin with or ask for a very modest goal and develop the game as a hobby project. Multiplayer games are popular though and they already have a game that people are having fun with, so it's possible. There's lots of pitfalls in EA too though.

I think I forgot to mention Memoranda. It's a classic 2D point & click adventure inspired by Haruki Murakami's short stories and I love the art style. They hadn't done much of anything to get noticed prior to launching their campaign, so it looked like a lost cause for a couple of days, but then it was mentioned on Murakami's Facebook page, and now it's funded well ahead of schedule.

Wanderer also looks great, mixes cinematic platforming, turn-based combat, point & click puzzles and branching choices, and is inspired by games like Another World, Paper Mario and Valkyrie Profile, Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead.

The last one I'm currently backing is Super Axe Boy, which is a platformer that is supposed to seamlessly switch between 2D platforming with timing and precision challenges and 3D platforming with exploration and puzzle solving in each level. In my opinion, the video doesn't do a good job of selling the concept, but I'm sold on the gameplay described in writing.

EDIT: Oh, Fireflower already mentioned Wanderer. :)

Wanderer

"An episodic 2D adventure game blending cinematic platformer and RPG into an immersive and beautiful lo-fi sci-fi universe."

Looks pretty neat.

Wanderer also looks great, mixes cinematic platforming, turn-based combat, point & click puzzles and branching choices, and is inspired by games like Another World, Paper Mario and Valkyrie Profile, Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead.

I backed Wander a little while back. It looks neat :)

Also related, but not quite a game, there's a crowdfunding campaign running to translate and publish an English localisation of Eric Chahi's official Biography (currently only available in French). The target looks high, but from what I understand, it also includes the first print run, which feels reasonable given how many copies would need to be run if the target was met through the lowest tier only.

A couple of new campaigns that looks great:

Failsafe - First person parkour game with focus on exploration and secrets. I love the style, and I like that they're going for simple but versatile controls, coupled with some kind of grappling hook/ribbon for fast travel.

Pankapu - Traditional 2D action platformer with colorful "cartoony" graphics. The playable character has three aspects to switch between at will, and each will be levelled up individually to aid in combat and finding secrets.

I just realized that the word "secret" is the key to grab my attention.

So, something I haven't seen before happened with a project I had backed.

I backed Cinemaware's kickstarter for a new version of Rocket Ranger, a project that barely passed it's goals, and then went quiet for a very long time. I pressed them on Twitter, if I should just count my pledge as lost money, which spurred them into posting an update, which contained very little new info, but an assurance that our money wasn't lost.

Sometime later, they posted an update again, in which they confirmed that difficulties in the company (something about taxes) would make it very difficult to progress with the project. Shit happens, but it felt a bit sour.

But to their credit, they have now posted an update, that the money will be refunded. Not only to those who asks, but to everyone.

Hardly a success in any way, but at least they showed some responsibility in not spending the money for a project they discovered they wouldn't be able to progress with it.

FUND THIS NOW!!!! NOW!!! BRING BACK MST3K!!!!1

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

The only thing stopping me from instantly backing this is the all-important question 'how will we watch the new season?', which I can't see a definitive statement on.

I'm still backing it, obviously - I want that t-shirt, dammit - but it might have helped if they could say "we're in talks with several networks / video streaming sites". I understand why they haven't, but still. What's the point of making a show if you're not gonna be able to share it?

Also, and I know this is a divisive statement, but I always preferred Nelson. Not to dismiss Joel, but preferences are preferences...

Also, and I know this is a divisive statement, but I always preferred Nelson. Not to dismiss Joel, but preferences are preferences...

You can still watch Rifftrax as well :P Why Joel vs Mike isn't an issue for me...

I like Mike too:P

Like I say, I don't DISLIKE Joel, I just prefer Mike's more light-hearted approach to comedy rather than Joel's deadpanning.

They're both still good though. Obviously.

And I've been up and down that page - I can't seem to see any definitive "we'll release these online for all to watch" sort of statement, which is interesting and frustrating. I get they'll try to pitch the show to several networks and stuff (they say so in the FAQ section), but they kind of needed a separate paragraph explaining this properly.

Thanks Coolsome.

The most important answer Joel gave, at least for me and my concerns over how the show'll be seen, is this bit:

The answer is that we don't know for sure yet. Part of the plan is to see how many people get excited about the Kickstarter campaign and want MST3K back, so that we can talk with broadcast networks and digital platforms about bringing MST3K back for another thirty years. There, I said it. Another 30 years.

I don't know who it will be, but we've already gotten some excited phone calls today from people in Hollywood who are watching what's happening. So it's working! Keep Circulating the URL, and maybe the next season of MST3K will be beamed straight into your eyes!

One other thing. It's really important to me that backers who help us make a new season get to ENJOY that season without spending more money, so all of the rewards above $100 include HD downloads of all of the new episodes with no DRM or copy protection. I just think that's important. It's the right thing to do. It's proper.

I can't help feeling this should have been mentioned in the Kickstarter itself. ESPECIALLY the part about needing to back $100 to guarantee seeing all the episodes - that's just not gonna happen for me. I love the show and all, but that'd be like £70, and no way do I love it THAT much.

If it really does end up being $100+ (unlikely, but hey, I'm in the UK, might not be shown on a TV channel over here) I'd inevitably end up doing what I did with the original MST3K... torrenting it. And I don't wanna do that!

Anyone mentioned Indivisible, an RPG by the people behind Skullgirls?

Looks pretty interesting, and there's a playable prototype if you wanna see what the game'll be like. Which is always nice.

The campaign is at well over 1.3m now with four days left, so there's a good chance it will make it. The campaign was extended by 20 days, since IndieGoGo allows that when the campaign has reached 60% of the funding goal.

Failsafe - First person parkour game with focus on exploration and secrets. I love the style, and I like that they're going for simple but versatile controls, coupled with some kind of grappling hook/ribbon for fast travel.

Failsafe unfortunately isn't going to make it, but there's been a lot of interest in the game, so fortunately they're going to keep working on it.

Indivisible actually got funded, with time to spare. That's pretty impressive.

I backed it earlier to help, and because I though the devs did such excellent work with the campaign, but with them reaching their goal with margin, I cancelled my pledge, since their art style does nothing for me.

I think not being on Kickstarter might really hurt the project's chances. I've seen others go off the board that should've made it and didn't. I'm actually a bit worried.

Yes. But on the other hand - this will draw lots of new people to Fig, which obviously is a great thing for Double Fine. If this campaign succeeds, then it's a... Double Win.

It will be funded but without the number of supporters the DFA once had which might be due to the high(er) pricing, the DFA's specific history and Kickstarter experiences generally and i wouldn't be surprised if fig.co feels like a hack to some people.

It feels a lot like the movie bizz (RM/SE/part 2/3/4), imagine something new for such a budget. Early bird tiers. The game most propably won't happen till 2019. Some might think to better buy it once it will be released, maybe in a sale, after a review. Several projects crowdfunded, none of them are fully finished yet. And so on ...

Jack Black always seems to be super motivated (Year One), the video sometimes has a somehow weird tone and lacks a sparkle of greatness and density. Chan in the role of Gilbert. Wolpaw's shaking and gesture. Newell always has this big HL3 aura around him.

3D platforming still isn't as good and focused as in 2/2.5D. What i liked about Psychonauts were its ideas, variety, characters, mood and music. What i disliked often were its level design/gameplay, controls, low res textures, balancing and sometimes just not being fun.

Good luck.

I'm not as worried as I was. Usually, when the news breaks on these, they get around 1/4 the first day before it slows down. I guess the reveal was a bit too late in the day as they were not even close to that by the end of the day. They seem to be doing much better now.

I'm not as worried as I was. Usually, when the news breaks on these, they get around 1/4 the first day before it slows down. I guess the reveal was a bit too late in the day as they were not even close to that by the end of the day. They seem to be doing much better now.
It was revealed at the Video Game Awards, which aired at 6PM PST/9 PM EST, so, yeah, the reveal was indeed quite late in the day (it had only been a few hours since the reveal when I posted the link). It apparently made 1 million dollars in 12 hours, which is pretty darn good.

Here's an adventure game that's on its second go, Ira.

This time they're asking for way less (about a fifth of what they originally needed), but it's to fund Act 1 of the game, with stretch goals presumably being added once the modest $12,000 goal is reached.

Still looks like an interesting game, and it's $9 for the lowest tier, so have a look, why don't you. There's even a demo!