Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

I don't know how I missed this one, as I'm a huge fan of Don Bluth (I just re-watched Anastasia yesterday as a matter of fact).

Don Bluth and Gary Goldman are currently running an Indiegogo campaign for Dragon's Lair Returns, a full length classically animated feature film based on the characters and world from the arcade game.

I backed it at $50, as I really couldn't pass up getting a signed art print of Anastasia. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/825838374/ira-1 - Great looking surreal point and click set in a future where humans have started colonizing other planets and those who still live on Earth are stuck in the 20th century technology wise. The story will follow three separate archs, where one follows the first colonists, another follows Ira on the second wave of colonists years later and finds the remains of the first colonists, and one that explores Ira's past.

Ira is back on Kickstarter and has a new demo available for Windows, Linux and Mac. It's looking much better than their previous attempt, and they're already at almost $5k of their $12k goal.

Not to be 'that guy', but I already mentioned Ira's second Kickstarter a couple of posts ago.

Here's an adventure game that's on its second go, Ira.

This time they're asking for way less (about a fifth of what they originally needed), but it's to fund Act 1 of the game, with stretch goals presumably being added once the modest $12,000 goal is reached.

Still looks like an interesting game, and it's $9 for the lowest tier, so have a look, why don't you. There's even a demo!

Not to be 'that guy', but I already mentioned Ira's second Kickstarter a couple of posts ago.
Here's an adventure game that's on its second go, Ira.

This time they're asking for way less (about a fifth of what they originally needed), but it's to fund Act 1 of the game, with stretch goals presumably being added once the modest $12,000 goal is reached.

Still looks like an interesting game, and it's $9 for the lowest tier, so have a look, why don't you. There's even a demo!

Hey look everyone it's That Guy!!

Oops! I thought the last post was from December somehow. :$

Ok, so here's another campaign that I'm currently backing: Slipstream, an arcade racing game inspired by racers from the 80s and 90s. Looks very cool and has a Windows/Linux/Mac demo available on itch.io. There's six days left of the campaign, and they're at $4k of a $6k goal, so it still has a chance to make it if it gets a nice rush of pledges during the remaining days.

I played the Slipstream demo a few weeks back. It's got a nice feel to it and carries a combination of Outrun and Lotus Turbo Challenge aesthetics well.

There's currently a Kickstarter to release the 1992 Doctor Who pinball game for The Pinball Arcade by FarSight Studios.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-doctor-who/

If anyone is unfamiliar with The Pinball Arcade, it's a collection of digital ports of real-life pinball tables, both original and licensed. Recently Kickstarters were done for the Terminator 2, Addams Family, Star Trek TNG and Twilight Zone pinball tables due to their large licensing costs, which were successful. This Kickstarter is to cover the licensing of the Doctor Who property as well as the actor's voices and likenesses.

The Pinball Arcade is free to download on Steam if anyone wants to try it, and also on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Vita and iOS.

Dujanah - Story-driven exploration game set in a fictional Islamic country, made with clay animation, photo collages and paintings. It's being made by the developer of Beeswing, and the main game will contain several smaller games, like an action platformer and a puzzle game, which you can access from an arcade hall.

One Dog Story - Action platformer inspired by Cave Story, Battletoads, Contra and Metroid, with a bunch of different upgradeable weapons and exploration. The game has a web demo, which should give you a good idea of what it's like. I like that you can shoot cameras, monitors and fans to make them blow up.

Project Resurgence - Episodic cRPG, inspired by games like Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate and Fallout, set in a world where technology and magic coexist. There won't be any pre-defined classes, but you'll be able to level up and shape your character based on your progression in the game.

All of these will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac.

Knights and Bikes looks like fun.

"A co-op adventure about childhood inspired by The Goonies & Earthbound, from developers on Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank."

"A co-op adventure about childhood inspired by The Goonies & Earthbound, from developers on Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank."

Knights and Bikes looks great! I'm glad it's off to such a great start. :)

ESSENCE

Another one that's struggling, this a gorgeous looking surreal 3D exploration game with puzzles.

ESSENCE has relaunched with a much lower target and now has a playable Windows prototype for backers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448730379/essence-the-resurrection

Looks more promising this time, and they should be able to reach their goal I think.

This one reminds me of Psychonauts, which is rather appropriate.

I didn't spot this one until Josh Mandel mentioned it on Twitter:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sebastian-frank-the-beer-hall-putsch

It's a point-and-click adventure with a rather unique setting in the aftermath of WWI, where you're supposed to stop Hitler from seizing power. There's a demo available for Windows, Linux and Mac and it has several good jokes, including JelDeRebel's favorite.

I didn't spot this one until Josh Mandel mentioned it on Twitter:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sebastian-frank-the-beer-hall-putsch

It's a point-and-click adventure with a rather unique setting in the aftermath of WWI, where you're supposed to stop Hitler from seizing power. There's a demo available for Windows, Linux and Mac and it has several good jokes, including JelDeRebel's favorite.

Might be fun. Don't think it will be funded though.

Indeed, the funding is quite doubtful. Love the art style! But do think Stephen Fry has constructed a wiser "stop Hitler" scenario in "Making History". Bottom line: There could even have been worse people seizing power, people who make less capital mistakes. :|

Pinstripe looks pretty interesting.

"A bizarre and beautiful 2D adventure about a minister in Hell made by a one-man team."

Yeah, it looks great, but how did it manage to get that much funding already?

Pinstripe looks pretty interesting.

"A bizarre and beautiful 2D adventure about a minister in Hell made by a one-man team."

Yeah, it looks great, but how did it manage to get that much funding already?

I think the dev got some attention earlier through this: 2B9Jyp7nCNw , and maybe he knows the right people?

Thanks; that explains it. I'm surprised Knights and Bikes hasn't been funded yet. They definitely know many of the right people and have gotten a fair amount of media attention, but are still only 3/4 funded. It's on track though.

A bunch of original Descent devs have gotten together to pitch Overload, a spiritual successor to Descent.

It's interesting to compare the "feel" of what's shown to that of other 6DOF descent-inspired games like Descent Underground, Sublevel Zero, NeonXSZ, etc.. Having a Freespace 2 writer onboard is also pretty exciting!

A bunch of original Descent devs have gotten together to pitch Overload, a spiritual successor to Descent.

It's interesting to compare the "feel" of what's shown to that of other 6DOF descent-inspired games like Descent Underground, Sublevel Zero, NeonXSZ, etc.. Having a Freespace 2 writer onboard is also pretty exciting!

Took a quick look at the pitch, but I saw nothing about the budget. $300k feels like a very small amount for a game like this.

Took a quick look at the pitch, but I saw nothing about the budget. $300k feels like a very small amount for a game like this.

It's fairly vague, but there's this down under the risks and challenges section:

3. We’re already pretty far along in the development of Overload, as you can see from the game footage included in our video. The look and feel of the game is already established, and most major systems and tools are already implemented.

4. The additional funding we seek now will largely be used for relatively lower-risk development such as game balancing and creating the content (enemies, weapons, and levels) needed for the full game.

Thanks; that explains it. I'm surprised Knights and Bikes hasn't been funded yet. They definitely know many of the right people and have gotten a fair amount of media attention, but are still only 3/4 funded. It's on track though.

Yeah, crowdfunding seems like a lottery sometimes. Might be because a high goal might scare off some people, I don't know. But they'll probably make it: https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/foamsword/knights-and-bikes/.

For anyone up for some brutal post apocalyptic pen & paper roleplaying – the Mutant:Genlab Alpha Kickstarter is in its final days, has burst through most of its stretch goals (and will likely manage to achieve the rest).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-genlab-alpha?ref=discovery

It's a standalone expansion to the original, focusing on animal mutants. The artwork in both is, if I may say so, spectacular.

Dwelvers: A real time strategy game inspired by classics like Dungeon Keeper and The Settlers.

It's a friend of mine that's making this game so we would appreciate your support. :)

For anybody who may have been interested in Overload, but hasn't spotted, they've got a playable "teaser" available for Windows (there are Mac and Linux too, but those are only accessible to backers - something they weren't planning on doing at all, but did in response to demand from the backing audience), which can be found on their Kickstarter page and on Steam. They've also made a prototype VR build available as well.

They're about to dive into their last 24 hours, and have a countdown stream and a second AMA planned. They're $80k away from the goal, and have made some pretty significant progress in the past couple of days. I'm hard pressed to think of a campaign that's been as much of a rollercoaster as this one.