Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

qPh4biQ.png

Here is a promising adventure game with a playable demo. Excellent animation, Bill Tiller-esque background art, good voice acting. Should appeal to LucasArts fans while having its own flavor. And the project lead frequents the Adventure Gamers forum and seems to be a very nice guy as well as talented.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/777841902/gibbous-a-cthulhu-adventure

Just merging in free999enigma's thread here.

That looks pretty interesting, and it's one of only a couple of games I'm backing at the moment. (It's not that there aren't other interesting campaigns too, but I've been pretty out of the loop lately.) The other game I'm backing is Arcadian Atlas, which is a tactical RPG inspired by games like Chrono Trigger. They're up to $55k of a $90k goal with only five days to go, so it doesn't look likely to make it, but that's still a very respectable amount.

Both of those games will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac, and maybe some other platforms (I don't know).

Just a heads up that Gibbous has in fact been fully funded and is tearing through stretch goals at the moment, in case anyone was on the fence about whether they NEED to back it or not.

The other game I'm backing is Arcadian Atlas, which is a tactical RPG inspired by games like Chrono Trigger. They're up to $55k of a $90k goal with only five days to go, so it doesn't look likely to make it, but that's still a very respectable amount.

I didn't think this would happen, but they actually managed to reach their goal after a surge of pledges, and a few very high ones, during the last couple of days of the campaign.

Here's a batch of game campaigns on Kickstarter for Windows, Linux and Mac; and some of them (possibly) for additional platforms.

ZED - puzzle and exploration adventure from one of the artists of the Myst series (and Command & Conquer). There's a playable art preview/demo available for download.

Transmission - exploration of an alien planet with puzzles, tactical combat and crafting.

Greedy Guns - run 'n' gun metroidvania with a demo/open beta that I shared some impressions of a while back:

Another game that I've played recently that's pretty neat is the free and open beta of Greedy Guns. It's pitched as a metroidvania shooter, inspired by Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug and Contra, but with exploration and ability upgrades. It's a bit rough so far (it's a beta after all), but I love the concept and thought it played well both with keyboard/mouse and a gamepad. It also has a couch co-op mode, but I haven't tried that yet.

Ilios: Betrayal of Gods - Steampunk action platformer based on the Iliad and the Odyssey. The campaign is almost over though, and it's far from its target.

Kologeon - action adventure with flying, exploration and RPG elements. The campaign has had a rough start, but it still has a fair shot at making it.

I'm currently backing a couple of campaigns that have returned to Kickstarter after previous, unsuccessful campaigns, though I wasn't able to find posts about either of them:

Mongrel - metroidvania-esque action platformer where you control a frog, and it looks like you have free aim; sort of like a "twin-stick platformer". Levels look pretty open, sort of Superfrog, Knytt Underground, Nubs' Adventure, and it's pretty bright and colorful, so not as gritty as most metroidvanias these days.

Buck - story-driven action platformer with weapon customization, an inventory and so on. The setting reminds me of Mad Max, and it has a demo (officially only for Windows so far, but I got sent a Linux build) which gives you a good idea of what combat is like: switch between gun/shotgun, kick/punch, loot crates and fallen enemies, etc.

That Day We Left, a narrative game about the refugee crisis. It's also on Steam Greenlight, and it has a playable demo. A portion of its profits will go to charity.

To create the narrative, Inner Void mixed its narrative between reports from refugees and their own interviews:

"It was easy to find stories across the Internet or other media, but it was also easy to find refugees in our vicinity and go talk with them personally. Their stories were often full of horrifying details. We’re not only talking about Syrian refugees either, because there are also a lot of immigrants coming from many other countries ravaged by war, famine or intolerance."

Here's a few campaigns I'm currently backing that are all targeting Linux, Windows and Mac:

COLUMNAE: A Past Under Construction, a non-linear point-and-click where you play chapters out of order. There's a demo available for Windows and Mac (plus an experimental Linux build that you can ask the developers for), and its seemed like a traditional adventure game with dialogue and inventory puzzles, so they haven't sacrificed that for the sake of the choice-driven elements.

The Adventure Pals - A Story of Love, Giraffes & Hot Dogs, platformer (with optional co-op) inspired by Adventure Time, Castle Crashers, Zelda 2 and Banjo Kazooie. Looks like something of the closest we might get to a Nintendo-platformer on the PC-platform.

BFF or Die, arena-based co-op action puzzler for 1–4 players. There's a demo on itch that I've played, and while you can easily control two characters at once alone (WASD+arrow keys or sticks on a gamepad), the main reason I backed it is because I think it'll be fun to play with my kids.

Seasteder, city builder game set at sea and inspired by Pharaoh, Caesar III and the Theme and Tycoon games. I was a big fan of strategy games in the late 90s early 00s, and Pharaoh is one I have fond memories of. I don't often play strategy games anymore, but I thought this looked very promising.

And I almost forgot...

FOX n FORESTS, "the most nostalgic 16-Bit action platformer ever to be made!" It first caught my attention because it features a fox and has a season switching mechanic; two things it has in common with Swing Swing Submarine's upcoming Seasons after Fall. Plus, I enjoy action platformers, so it was hard to resist.

Sorry for the long post. Before I started writing, I thought I was backing two or three campaigns—not five! :S

I've been banging on about Dropsy, which was my favorite game from last year. Jay Tholen, who made that with a few friends, has launched a Kickstarter campaign for a new game called Hypnospace Outlaw. It's a game set in a future where you govern the laws of the internet using an arcane OS. Think Geocities, MySpace and the like. It looks chock-full of goofy fun.

I have just backed Dawn of the Devs, a puzzle-platformer which features Tim as a playable character. One of the areas of the game has background which totally look like they are inspired by the Monkey Island saga!

(Blergh, I don't know how to link or upload images into a post, so please do go and check the Kickstarter page, the comic style of the characters is lovely!)

Edited by aperez
Wanted to link images, but couldn't

Judging by their tweets about it it seems Cliff B and Tim don't mind, but others are more uncomfortable about it. It looks like it's being done in good faith, and there's clear enthusiasm and talent on display (I was charmed by the special abilities they chose for Tim), but I also agree with the view that it's not the wisest thing to do post gamergate. I'm not sure if it would be against forum rules for me to elaborate on that. But basically I think it's better this kind of thing is nipped at the bud.

Edited by EMarley

It should be made clear that this doesn't feature Tim or any other actual developers, it features thinly-veiled stand-ins/parodies of them.

It looks like a nice enough Lost Vikings style puzzle-platformer, depending on your enjoyment of broad gaming trope and culture references (eg defeat a troll with a ban button).

Edited by TimeGentleman

They've just announced that the game will be available for Linux and Mac too. 

On 9/8/2016 at 3:18 PM, EMarley said:

Judging by their tweets about it it seems Cliff B and Tim don't mind, but others are more uncomfortable about it. It looks like it's being done in good faith, and there's clear enthusiasm and talent on display (I was charmed by the special abilities they chose for Tim), but I also agree with the view that it's not the wisest thing to do post gamergate. I'm not sure if it would be against forum rules for me to elaborate on that. But basically I think it's better this kind of thing is nipped at the bud.

They have a pretty clear FAQ saying that it is a parody, and nobody's actual name and/or image is being used. Also, that they will refrain removing from the game characters based on people who may prefer them not to. Like TimeGentleman said, maybe telling about this more prominent at the top of the campaign page would be a good idea, but it looks quite clear that it is being done as a honest, respectful homage. I hope they manage the potential issues from doing this kind of game well, and that it actually gets done — it still looks to me like it would be a really fun game to play :D

It does sort of make me feel a little weird, even despite their insisting it is all in good fun and is intended to be respectful. I think if it had happened several years ago, it might not have seemed weird, but after things like GG and some of the less-than-stellar crowdfunding projects of famous developers, there has been a lot of really mean-spirited "humor" going around. Some of it is just excusable as typical internet ugliness, but some of the insults also came from within the games industry with other game developers putting insults toward Tim or Peter into their games. It is different maybe to have Tim (or any of the other developers) come out themselves and say HEY I'M IN THIS. But to have a game just come out and be like, "We put Tim in this" (or Peter or anyone) immediately puts me on the defensive like, oh no what are they doing. What are they going to say or imply, purposely or unintentionally, with this game?

It'll probably be okay, but it does kinda put me in a karate stance, so to speak.

14 hours ago, aperez said:

Like TimeGentleman said, maybe telling about this more prominent at the top of the campaign page would be a good idea, but it looks quite clear that it is being done as a honest, respectful homage.

Well, I actually meant on this thread before discussion goes any further! But yeah, they perhaps could have alluded to it in the opening line, although you don't have to get very far into the video or blurb to realise....

Duke Grabowski is about to be released, and the devs waited until now to announce that it will no longer be delivered as a DRM free game because of publisher interference. Will request a refund out of principle. Out of everything that might go wrong with a crowfunded project, this is one thing I do not accept. 

I urge you to send them an email if you haven't already. I get the feeling that they aren't too happy about it themselves, but they probably didn't realize this would be an issue when they signed with a publisher, and now their hands are tied.

We know not all of you use Steam to get your games. Please email us if this is a problem and we can talk more. Write to DukeGrabowski@gmail.com

It's an unfortunate situation, but it goes to show that you can never be too explicit when making a contract, and you really need to get everything down in writing. Lots of indies get into these kinds of pickles though, since it's something few have any experience with. 

I hope that if enough backers write them to express their disappointment that it will give them enough leverage to persuade their publisher though.

I will send an email to them and ask a bit, because I can accept Steam as a distribution platform - if I can run the game without the client, and move the game to another computer without having to install through the client again. But otherwise, it's a no. 

I might be a bit cynical, but I feel that this can just as well be about them just thinking that the pros of signing that publisher deal outweighs the negatives of a few backers requesting a refund, because I feel that the backer money just became a very small part of the funding with this deal. 

Or it can be like with Broken Sword 5, where the devs just packaged the collectors edition with a steam installation version, and didn't understand that that people would feel that it would be an issue. 

That said, even without the DRM issue, I'm not so fond of this project anymore, with them changing it from being a small complete p&c adventure game, to a much larger scope with several episodes. That also went against what I was told this game would be. 

Got a lengthy reply from Bill Tiller, where he makes it clear that he is responsible for missing out on this aspect in the publishing deal, and as a result, they have no say in this. He says he asked the publishers about a possible DRM free version, and their answer was that they currently have no plans to do that. It was pretty good email, and appreciate him writing that, but I'm still not wanting the game now. 

I haven't heard anything from them (yet), but I really hope they'll go back on that decision.

On 7.9.2016 at 11:45 PM, flesk said:

I've been banging on about Dropsy, which was my favorite game from last year. Jay Tholen, who made that with a few friends, has launched a Kickstarter campaign for a new game called Hypnospace Outlaw. It's a game set in a future where you govern the laws of the internet using an arcane OS. Think Geocities, MySpace and the like. It looks chock-full of goofy fun.

This has now been funded, and they're close to reaching the first stretch goal for ad jingles in this style (though this is apparently a "slapped together" example):

The Wasteland 3 fig.co-campaign is a tremendous succes! They have reached 91 percent after only two(?) days. Crazy and very uplifting.

Sorry to be fool who joined just to post a link, but there is actually a reason. If you are into action figures, great, this one might be for you, but the guys doing this kickstarter are actually trying to create a video game based on the property in a retro style. I'm friends with the one who has the property rights and yes I've been sharing the link for the action figures. But honestly I came across this site and thought it might be nice to share the link so you all could watch for the game if you are interested. It should be coming soon after the figures make wrap up!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/549582372/eagle-force-returns-action-figures