• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

This is ours, The Maker's Eden. First person, comic book style sci-fi noir. And yes, it's the dreaded flexible funding where we're going to run away with all your money and buy booze. :) We talk more about that on the Igg page. Short version, nothing to worry about.

http://igg.me/at/makerseden/x/2294040

That looks cool. The style looks like it's very similar to Reperfection.

@CecilRusso: AVS isn't doing so hot at the moment. I had thought the new $20 tier which includes a free copy of the original game might help a bit with funding, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. According to Kicktraq it's trending towards $140K; well short of the $200K goal.

@rusty_broomhandle

Cool music but, hey, just in case adventure gamer designers aren't aware of this: SF doesn't need to be Bladerunner and dystopia over and over again, there also exists utopia and exactly 12345^67890 of other story options are still left. So, you might want to grab on of those before they're gone.

@rusty_broomhandle

Cool music but, hey, just in case adventure gamer designers aren't aware of this: SF doesn't need to be Bladerunner and dystopia over and over again, there also exists utopia and exactly 12345^67890 of other story options are still left. So, you might want to grab on of those before they're gone.

In case you are not aware of this, getting one's point across does not need sarcasm over and over again, there also exists respect and 12345^67890 other options. So, you might want to grab one of those before they're gone.

Sorry if you feel insulted but this was my first post regarding your project.

SF literature covers a wide range but for some strange reason as soon as a point & click adventure is involved, chances are high that a dystopia is here again and in my opinion that's boring and such a waste of the adventure and SF genre. This could be a lot more interesting. Hey, you can have fun in SF and laugh too, try to read a.o. Niven/Gerrold's The flying sorcerers.

You're making the mistake of judging a thing superficially. Underneath what you see as "sci fi" and "dystopia" is actually multiple social commentaries on present-day society and politics. It's all the the guise of a futuristic setting, but the message is about today. It could have been done in a different setting, sure, but we picked this one, and it fits what we're trying to convey.

I doubt that you're going with such a presentation without being aware what you're referencing to.

@rusty_broomhandle

Oh neat. I didn't realise that the dystopian Bladerunner-esque point and click adventure game was something that had been done over and over. I always thought it was a niche that Gemini Rue sat more or less alone in. Could you list some of them so that I can check them out?

You won't find the exact same thing again twice but the attributs these games share (dystopia, some end time scenario/feeling, memory loss/finding out about your identity, ...) sadly can be found in a number of SF adventures. Naming Gemini Rue you don't have to jump this far and can already give Primodia a try. For a more complete list of what happened between Beneath a Steel Sky and today, ask someone who is more fond of putting together a list of such more frustrating games for you.

You won't find the exact same thing again twice but the attributs these games share (dystopia, some end time scenario/feeling, memory loss/finding out about your identity, ...) sadly can be found in a number of SF adventures. Naming Gemini Rue you don't have to jump this far and can already give Primodia a try. For a more complete list of what happened between Beneath a Steel Sky and today, ask someone who is more fond of putting together a list of such more frustrating games for you.

I didn't realise that Primordia found itself set within a similar context. I'll have to check it out. Beneath A Steel Sky was great, and certainly a title that I should have recalled. Either way, I still find it hard to believe that there are as many dystopian future/bladerunner-esque abventure games as say, pirate themed ones, or ones centred around popular horror tropes (warewolves, vampires, zombies, etc.).

Assuming that there actually is a large number of adventure titles out there sharing this theme (let's even pretend that they're all new enough to be considered current in the market), if you say that you can't find the exact same thing twice, then it's impossible to rationally deny that there's still scope for creative and unique works within this space.

Can't decide if I want to back Our Darker Purpose or not. On the one hand, I really want to see this game in action, and getting access to the open beta would be great. On the other, I don't know if I will be able to run it yet.

Closest comparison I can think of is The Binding of Isaac with more RPG elements- you can pick which skills your character gains as they level up, as well as starting skills. Also it takes place in a creepy school.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer

I don't know if anyone has discussed this game on here or not. It's like a 3D platformer collect-a-thon with Wind Waker style visuals. It looks so very cool to me. I haven't backed it yet, I still am not 100% sure on Kickstarter in general. But I think I most likely will jump in on this. It has already passed the needed amount of money and has gotten into reaching the stretch goals now.

I actually posted about that on the last page. It looks awesome! Jel and I both backed it.

Ah, my bad. I didn't see it. Well I guess it can't hurt to give it some more exposure. You guys both backed it? Man it's tempting and I think I may end up doing it. The only Kickstarter I've ever participated in was Doublefine's. Since then I have heard alot of somewhat un-nerving things about some Kickstarters operate. But this looks so darn cool.

I'm disappointed that Bill Tiller's campaign isn't doing better. Now I didn't play the first game, so it's not like I've been waiting for more for years, but he seems like a really nice guy with a lot of love for adventure games who just never got much acclaim as a designer.

That said it's really no wonder his campaign seem to have stagnated. He's hardly writing any updates, he doesn't comment on the Kickstarter, and he generally doesn't seem to have been able to create any media buzz about his campaign whatsoever. Maybe he's given up already, but I find that a bit surprising from a guy who seems so determined to get his games made, even if it means working on them in his spare time while working as a full time designer on other people's projects.

A Hat in Time looks cool. I'll probably end up backing it myself.

Ack! It looks like $10 pledges for A Hat in Time are all gone!! I finally decided to pull the trigger and this happens. Eh, I'm not sure I want to drop $15 on the game. That $5 difference seems like alot to me. What say Ye DFAF, should I back it or just wait until it comes out and buy it cheaper down the road.

Unless you really want the special thanks on the website, I don't think you'd get anything special from backing that you can't get cheaper later. I've backed it, but that was mostly for a slight nudge towards the New Game+ stretch goal.

St Christopher's School Lockdown:

This game project shows a lot of promise and I'm really excited about it myself! Its a planned episodic point-and-click set in a school occupied by its students:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1645187100/the-st-christophers-school-lockdown/

A must read is the interview on adventure gamers, it tells most of what you need to know and more:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24779/

Eh I broke down and backed A Hat in Time. I goes against my cheap gaming mindset, but goshdarnit these indie guys making a 3D platformer is so up my alley I had to do it. Maybe we can try to get some of us who backed the game into online multiplayer when it comes out.

There's online multiplayer? I missed that. Is that co-op multiplayer? I'd definitely be interested in doing some co-op multiplayer.

Yup online Co-Op. That seemed like a really cool selling point to me. I don't think I've ever played a 3D platformer with Mulitplayer before. I could see that being pretty darn neat. It looks like they got past the $200,000 funding mark at this point. I wonder if they are shocked to see it doing so well? It seems like there is still an audience out there craving some platformer goodness.