• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

The American Mcgee Oz game sounds interesting. I loved Alice- Madness Returns. But I'm not sure I want to back anything else for a while. I have to search and see if there have any gameplay video stuff up and around. If it's a 3D platformer/adventure done right, I may jump on it.

:)

I didn't realize that American Mcgee was looking to get movie rights for Alice as well. That would be interesting to see what they could put together with that.

I love Legend of Iya's art style. The character moves and animations look rather slow though.

The music is the worst, imo. There's some great chiptunes out there, this sound like generic bleep bloops

I backed Liege, a tactical RPG with hand drawn art inspired by classic 16 bit JRPGs. It's about an epic war of succession between various political factions from numerous points of view that interconnect, like Game of Thrones meets Suikoden.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege

I love Legend of Iya's art style. The character moves and animations look rather slow though.

The music is the worst, imo. There's some great chiptunes out there, this sound like generic bleep bloops

Apparently the newest update says that Magnus "Philter" Gangstad signed up to do the music, so the game music won't sound like what's in the trailer.

I've just backed this, it looks amazing and such interesting ideas.

Tangiers - Surrealist stealth

n5ZcWyH2eqY

I think it's cool how the city collapses and rebuilds itself depending on how you interact with it. It'll be interesting to see how they implement that. Also how you can take what people say and change the world. The art looks amazing, so dark and atmospheric.

Needs backers though guys, so throw in a few $$ if you like the look :D

2f16f7e0ef134b817256d28daf104805_large.jpg?1373968238

It seems like kickstarter fatigue has really set in now. Satellite Reign will barely reach the goal, Precinct and Motorgun are struggling, American McGees latest game kickstarter was cancelled.

Glad that Massive Challice was such a success considering all that. :)

a) Certainly a certain degree of fatigue.

b) People first want to see what comes out from the projects they've invested already.

c) A lack of great unique projects you really want.

d) Competition via already existing games/backlog/...

If i would have the chance to revisit the projects i backed for, i also would discard a few titles. If you take a look at some of the projects which failed and some of those which succeeded lately then mostly the let's say more tasteless/boring projects made it.

I just backed Fran Bow, a really nice and creepy adventure game; there is already a demo of the first chapter.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fran-bow-a-very-creepy-point-click-adventure-game?c=home

I wonder if DFA would have taken less money, if it would have turned out something like this.

I just played through the demo myself and that game does indeed look very promising. There's a few minor issues in the demo, like the playable character facing the wrong way when interacting with objects, some typos and the interface being a bit clunky. Overall I really enjoyed it though, and I really hope it succeeds.

The concept of being able to switch between a regular and "nightmare" version of each room, and have each room contain items of importance is very cool. It's a bit like Lily Looking Through in that, only that LLT doesn't have a bunch of decapitated animals in it. Not in the demo at least.

I backed Clique Refresh, an upcoming web comic about a girl and her best friends, guildmates and fellow adventurers in a fictional game called Ether Ruin. It’s pretty much a nerd anthem for anyone that finds a true sense of belonging on the internet and within the online gaming community. The artist is the (jokingly infamous?) Amy Falcone from Penny Arcade’s web comic talent search show, Strip Search.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/851906756/clique-refresh

d1392c273fc6978bafeae624aa613b27_large.jpg

It seems like kickstarter fatigue has really set in now. Satellite Reign will barely reach the goal, Precinct and Motorgun are struggling, American McGees latest game kickstarter was cancelled.

Glad that Massive Challice was such a success considering all that. :)

I do hope that's just seasonal or temporary. Hopefully with a high profile project like Shadowrun Returns out, people will have more confidence. Even though I'm not a cyberpunk person, I'm pretty happy to see that Satellite Reign made its goal, and hit quite a few stretch goals besides.

But to be honest, with Motorgun and Precinct and others, I don't know why there are all these game projects that ask for $500,000+ as if that's standard. Look at other Most Funded Kickstarter projects of all time. Only the top 5 Film projects made over $500,000 (and the top two due to popular tv shows), the top 3 Comics Projects, the top 2 Publishing, the top 2 Music projects, the #1 Food project, the #1 Fashion project, the #1 Photography project (an outlier, as the next highest raised only $73,000) .... and none of the Dance or Theater projects.

What I'm saying is that in pretty much any non-tech Kickstarter category, in order to make over $500,000, you'd pretty much have to win the Kickstarter Olympics and be within the top 3 most funded OF ALL TIME, or literally #1. OF ALL TIME.

Sure, the top 50 or so gaming projects have hit that mark, the top 26 tech projects, and the top 15 design projects (the majority of which are iProduct accessories). So of course those are more lucrative areas. But $500,000 is hardly something any old project, even if it's "pretty good", can cavalierly expect to achieve.

man, who are these people who actually find a true sense of belonging in online gaming communities? everything i find is shallow and ultimately disposable. even you, DFAF. even you.

Fyk0G.gif

Shadowrun Returns looks like a higher budgeted project (in a Kickstarter way) which somehow ran out of resources/time/money already, not completely broken but also unfinished, lacking and not tested good enough (btw. they did swap the engine from MOAI to Unity). Some people expected more for this budget, some seem to be fine with the result.

Hey, Backers of Adventure! There's a recently launched Kickstarter adventure game called Candle whose animation and images are all hand-painted using watercolor and ink.

e7d9f2e4f58aae12a2508bddd82b115f_large.jpg?1372761872

Teku Studios, a new developer based in Spain, has drawn upon Mayan and Aztec influences as well as African folk art to create the look of the game. It strikes me as a more vibrant and organic Machinarium.

(An adventure game with art inspired by the indigenous cultures of Mexico... now what does that remind me of...?)

The main character in Candle is Teku, a little masked doll with candles for hands. Much of the gameplay and puzzle-solving involves the interplay of darkness and light.

There's still a few early backer slots left, which means you can back the project and get a copy of the game for just $10!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaniardmike/candle-a-dynamic-graphic-adventure

Now that American McGee (on Facebook) and Tim Schafer (on Twitter) are starting to post and tweet about it, I think the Candle campaign should start building momentum.

The early bird packages at $10 are nearly gone!

Apparently the newest update says that Magnus "Philter" Gangstad signed up to do the music, so the game music won't sound like what's in the trailer.

Since my post, they put up a new trailer with the new music.

FHl-ncoiX7k

"A dream of a child becomes an adventure built by a man out of beautiful pixels with lots of room to explore."

lol. this guy needs to work on his slogans a little more. also the music is only marginally better. as jel said the animations look a bit heavy. particularly that wall jump. still i'm going to throw $20 that i shouldn't really be spending at this. i like the legit, washed-out pixel art. also the childhood drawings and commodore 64 prototype come off as enduring instead of tacky. i feels the lifelong passion behind this.

Legend of Iya got funded earlier today -- it was an amazing finish! I'm glad the developer will finally be able to bring this game to life after so many years.

Candle had a huge jump in pledges this weekend too, and looks like it will make its funding target with a little help. Just three days left now!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaniardmike/candle-a-dynamic-graphic-adventure

I agree! Project Phoenix does look promising. Of course, they don't need any help to meet their goals -- they're already funded!

I might still kick in for the game, but I want to find out more about the gameplay and the real-time tactical combat. And about the reactivity and non-linear elements. I really don't want to play another "story-on-rails" JRPGs. Some of them seem like they took a passable anime movie and decided to interrupt it with meaningless dialogue choices and the occasional level grind.

If Project Phoenix can address those problems, I'm all for it!