Double Fine Action Forums
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

So I backed Last Dream at the $40 barrier, right? 'cause I thought it'd be nice to get the DVD.

It arrived the other day. Only... it didn't.

See, I got one of those 'sorry we missed you' cards, only instead of saying that, it said I had to pay a customs charge.

£7.38 Customs, £8 Handling fee (because Royal Mail are douchebags). So the $40 band has now become a $60 one.

...sigh.

Only 43 hours left on The Fall at the moment.

If anybody's interested, we had John Warner join us for SteamLUG Cast over the weekend (recording here) where we chatted about his history, his plans for The Fall, and what kinds of responses he's had so far. He's a super nice guy.

I think Myst was a horrible game.

Awful sterile low quality render gfx without a style, painfully slow steering, loud spinning CD-ROM-drives where you needed to play disc jockey or buy a new drive. And the story? I don't think it was interesting. Myst, Riven, Atlantis, ... i'm glad this period of video games is over. Only a tiny fraction of those pre-rendered heavily accessing the CD-ROM-drives games was convincing. Man, this reminds me of the 11 disks of MI2 on the Amiga (the only thing which was even more painful was installing BSD Unix via floppy disks on an Amiga). Sometimes a game can be kind of out of sync with a certain technology. Nonetheless Myst sold millions of copies and drives.

The best experience regarding exploring an unknown place and solving puzzles will probably be Blow's The Witness. One of the games i'm looking forward to the most.

@taumel: I haven't played Myst, so I can't comment on the quality of the games. The digital versions on GOG and Steam probably don't suffer from the issues with a loud CD-ROM drive though.

There's a pretty interesting campaign up on IndieGoGo: 0 A.D., an Open-Source Strategy Game is an old-school RTS in the vein of the Age of Empires and Command & Conquer franchises (yes, those are my favourite RTSes ever, thank you).

The really interesting thing about this campaign is that the game will be 100% open-source! That sounds great, but I think it might also be a problem for the campaign, since there's less of an incentive to actually pay for something now that you might get completely free once it's finished. If it's ever finished. It's not looking too hot at the moment with $24K of $160K raised and only 12 days to go. And seeing it in the newsletter was the first I heard of this project. It's a flexible funding campaign though, so they'll collect everything they raise regardless of the success of the campaign. In this case I think that's just great, since it might mean that it might come to fruition somewhere down the road, even if they fail now.

They have a playable alpha up, so check it out. The art assets look great and they seem to have a clear view of what made the old RTSes classics, so I sincerely hope something comes of this.

Most CD-ROM drives were rather bad those days and only a minority also bought the better/more expensive ones (like Plextors) and whilst many CD-ROM manufacturers tried to compete against each other by increasing the speed, the error probability went up as well. Therefore most CD-ROMs were good enough for an installation, and already here you could encounter quite some problems depending on how the CD-ROM was pressed exactly, but they automatically weren't good enough for constant (streaming like) access.

@flesk

I liked Age of Mythology a lot.

I liked Age of Mythology a lot.

Me too. I thought the skirmish maps were pretty boring, but I loved the campaign and have played through it many times. The Titans expansion was a lot of fun too and felt pretty epic. I also liked that the unique Norse civilization forced me to play very differently from how I usually played the AoE games.

Age of Mythology, also with the extension, isn't the most complex game but i liked it just the way it was (kind of like Costume Quest, it's also not complex but it feels perfectly fine just the way it is, it doesn't need to be more, you can look at the game with a happy smile just they way it is). For me it was the perfect combination of some strategy, a relaxing periodic process and enough aquarium effect. I also appreciate that due to the mythology theme it felt less real war related. Age 4 already was too real for my taste.

Thinking of Costume Quest again, i've often seen that people underrate the game. You tell them about it, they look at some media and they might go, "Ah, dunno, nah..." but once you kindly force them to play some more, tadaaa, they want to continue to play it on their own.

Age of Mythology was pretty fun. I have no complaints about it. I liked AoEII better, of course, for it's skirmishes, but I thought the campaign was both interesting and challenging enough to keep me entertained through both of my playthroughs. I'm also rather fond of the Battle for Middle of Earth series. Especially the second one, which seemed to take more from the AoE way of doing things but with a Lord of the Rings flair. Star Wars: Empire at War was also fairly decent, but incredibly unbalanced. One of the few RTS's I've rage quit because it allows one little mistake to completely obliterated an entire run. Seriously, in a game where you don't have distinct scenarios, you should be able to have multiple saves in the case of fatal errors.

I'll have to look at this Kickstarter, though. I've been itching for more RTS games.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1766892377/unbreakable-scorched-earth -Just backed this, it looks like a bunch of brits trying to get into games, so I backed. (More out of interest in supporting new devs rather than their game)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/259499751/tikker-the-wrist-watch-that-counts-down-your-life -Looks like a comical idea (maybe not their intention but that's what I got from it)

Oh look, that James Pond Kickstarter got cancelled because they didn't show off what they had planned besides saying "we're making a new game, give us monies please" and as a result nobody backed it.

What a shock.

What now, the Tim Schafer ploy is suddenly not working any more? What a drag.

Well the DFA Kickstarter was different. They were funding the doc along with the game, so they couldn't start anything on the game without having 2PP there.

Oh look, that James Pond Kickstarter got cancelled because they didn't show off what they had planned besides saying "we're making a new game, give us monies please" and as a result nobody backed it.

What a shock.

What now, the Tim Schafer ploy is suddenly not working any more? What a drag.

It's almost as if the name Tim Schafer instills a bit more confidence in the outcome of a project than a 20 year old semi popular franchise without direct input from the original creator.

In other, related news Taxi Journey sadly ran out of time without collecting anywhere near the amount they asked for.

EDIT: (What is it with me today? I'm suddenly unable to spot that there are more pages to a thread before replying.) Yeah, and what Leroy and Darth Marsden wrote.

Not to put that bundle of adorableness down, but I'd rather people gave money to Citizens of Earth, which isn't doing anywhere NEAR as well as it should.

We've got Ryan Vandendyck from Eden Industries joining us to talk about Citizens of Earth and other stuff on SteamLUG Cast this weekend. If anybody has any questions I can try to add them to our list.

As much as I hate to bring it up, can you ask what the future for the game would be if it they don't happen to meet their goal? Would be interested to know.

As much as I hate to bring it up, can you ask what the future for the game would be if it they don't happen to meet their goal? Would be interested to know.

Yup yup, already on the list of things to chat about :)

Not to put that bundle of adorableness down, but I'd rather people gave money to Citizens of Earth, which isn't doing anywhere NEAR as well as it should.

I've visited the Kickstarter page with the intention to back it three or four times since it began. Every time I realize that you can't back it with an Amazon account, so I tell myself I'll do it when I have my credit card and Bank ID thingy at hand. And then I forget all about it.

I know there's nothing they can do about it (aside from opening a US bank account), but it's a lot less convenient than the US Kickstarters. I think I forgot all about backing a couple of Kickstarters that I had planned on backing in the past because of it too.

This will get funded. I like that they want to use the Unreal 4 engine but i don't understand their plans for the digital distribution, apart from using Steam.

I am a big fan of the Sierra classics, and I have been hoping for a new Leisure Suit Larry adventure. Something all-new, picking up where Larry 7 left off. A full-length adventure.

Do you all think an all-new Leisure Suit Larry adventure game from Al Lowe could get funded on Kickstarter with a $1 million goal? Larry Reloaded got over 600k, but that was just for a remake.

With some visual proof of the plan, yes it could. If they came out with just words and promises, no. After quite a few projects had troubling releases, cancellations, and delays, it's a rocky time for games on Kickstarter. The popularity is still growing on Kickstarter though, so with proof and something partially made, it could make it.

I think Replay Games is going to have a really hard time getting funding for a new Larry game after the stuff Paul Trowe pulled off recently. Their deal with Codemasters also made a new game depend on the success of the remake and I don't know how well that has done. It also doesn't look very likely that they'll be able to make a new game with Josh Mandel out of the picture. I hope Codemasters just funds the game themselves, get Al Lowe and Josh Mandel on board and breaks all ties with Paul Trowe.