Double Fine Action Forums
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

I definitely agree with you about Trowe. Sigh. I just really hope we get a proper new Larry game, even if Paul has to be involved in some way. Of course, Codemasters funding the thing (or part of it) would be ideal, making it so Replay/Paul Trowe wouldn't be necessary. Who knows what's going to happen there. One thing that I thought was a big problem with Larry Reloaded was the animation. The developer N-Fusion was solid, but they had never done a hand drawn 2D animation game before, and it showed; the animation was choppy and clearly unfinished. Way too much animation was left undone. If they're going to use the same kind of animation, they need a new developer.

In any case, I would back it if they came back to Kickstarter. Hopefully they'd have better visual marketing and other more impressive previews to show during the campaign. Like a previous commenter here said, they would need to be able to show something solid during the campaign and not just expect people to fork over money based on nothing but some vague concepts.

I think I might take the same stand on a new LSL game from Paul Trowe as I did with Armikrog: I'll probably buy it once it's out, but I want no part in funding it. I don't have very high hopes for a new game without Josh Mandel on board anyway.

Did anyone else see the latest A Hat in Time update? I'm excited about those co-op options and local co-op means I'll pick it up for my Wii U when I eventually get one. I'm not sure what to think of that hub though. It looks like it will mostly be just a 3D environment replacement for a text level selection, but I had kind of hoped for a bit more. Some of the LEGO games have hubs where there's a lot of stuff to do and collect, so this pales a bit in comparison, if that's all there is to it. This looks more like the Collective Unconscious in Psychonauts, but Psychonauts also has that huge campground area where there's a ton of stuff to do and stuff and areas that unlock as you progress in the game.

What do you guys think?

You are, of course, referring to this:

0e47d6bce3675b05ef7c584b5eb42e2b_large.jpg

Which they openly say is an "Early work-in-progress of the central area of the HUB", meaning that there will no doubt be other areas to this.

I admit, I kinda like the simplicity to it, but I also agree that a bit more to do there wouldn't go amiss. Still, early days...

Oh, whoops, I forgot to check back in regarding the chat with Ryan Vandendyck about Citizens of Earth. We didn't get much detail on what future plans might entail, but he made the same reassurances that they were going to press on with development that we've seen via Kickstarter updates. We chatted about a whole bunch of stuff. Hopefully we'll have the archive up for listening soon :)

You are, of course, referring to this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/214/860/0e47d6bce3675b05ef7c584b5eb42e2b_large. jpg

Which they openly say is an "Early work-in-progress of the central area of the HUB", meaning that there will no doubt be other areas to this.

I admit, I kinda like the simplicity to it, but I also agree that a bit more to do there wouldn't go amiss. Still, early days...

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I somehow missed the text under the image saying that it's the central area of the HUB though. Hopefully you're right in that there's a lot of stuff going on in other areas surrounding it. One of the great things about good HUBs is that it's a nice incentive to pick up the game and just sort of goof around if you don't have the time to make any significant progress in a level, but just sort of want to absorb the atmosphere of the game for a few minutes. It would be a missed potential if they didn't make more out of it than a room with some doors. I'm still extremely psyched about the game though, and I love the art direction on it.

Hi,

Just thought I would give a shout out to a great kickstarter at the moment based upon the classic "Master Of Magic"

An epic, turn based, fantasy 4X game with procedurally generated maps, and a load of spells, races and heroes.

Its their second Kickstarter, and due for release early 2014. They are just trying to add a bit of extra polish to the game, so please take a look

Thanks

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wastelands/worlds-of-magic

I just had a look at the Obduction campaign. Apart from a few holes (like the DRM free topic, Rift support, some more merchandising, ...) they started with a pretty solid campaign but now after five days and passing several milestones they lack a more beefy update than just saying "...i'm amazed and eating donuts..." Anyway they need about 18k backers and they are through but for maxing the funding they need to offer some more.

I have backed many adventure projects, and at this point the only two I feel that are on track and are going to meet my expectations are Mage's Initiation and Armikrog.

SpaceVenture has been delayed indefinitely, and Moebius is being developed by the people who gave us KQ: A Silver Lining. LSL: Reloaded was unfinished and a wasted opportunity.

The adventure game community could really use at least one Kickstarter-funded great success story. So far, we've had zero. I didn't back the Tex Murphy game, and maybe that one will succeed? Maybe Broken Sword?

Right now the adventure game renaissance isn't looking so renaissancey. :-(

The point & click adventure games kickstarted so far primary illustrate the niche the genre represents. There is a hand full of more promising projects but apart from those it's pretty disillusioning or just reflecting the reality.

Adventure related i have my highest expectations for the DFA. If this one goes well then "Hurra!" and DF shouldn't be in trouble getting funding for further projects. If they screw it up then, well, it depends on how humorous the last video will be. :o) As for the rest, i backed because Kickstarter felt new and i wanted to support certain projects but i also have a certain degree of doubts about how much i'll really enjoy those games. Other genres evolved and in some aspects you're used to that evolution so that you're not playing all the stuff you once were playing anymore (nostalgia vs. real fun).

Some Kickstarter adventures were graphically appealing but without offering any inner values or they looked and felt limited like these games used to be in the beginning but without taking into account that you've grown up within all these years. I don't know about a single Kickstarter adventure which might look less advanced maybe oldskool either but which puts an interesting story/characters, unique and satisfying puzzle mechanics, etc. into the focus, so it's all a bit boring. For Armikrog i chose the approach not wanting to know anything about the project. I'll download it once it'll be ready and i'll have some time to play.

As i don't like Sierra's adventures, i didn't back them but due to the space theme i once took a look at how Space Venture was shaping up. The Alpha seemed to be rough and tiny and there were quite some glitches, no idea about all the supposedly budget issues and the delayed release date but it certainly would be nice for their backers if they get them fixed and the game done within a reasonable time.

I think that a modern (point & click) adventure could really rock, be great (in terms of being truly great, not the daily awesomeness you might be used to from this industry) and appeal to a reasonable amount of gamers but i don't see many projects/devs which/who are trying to achieve this or have the ability to offer such an experience.

Adventure Games I Have Backed on Kickstarter (in order of when I backed them)

- DoubleFine Adventure, aka: Broken Age

- Feeble's Fables

- Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded

- Jane Jenson's Moebius (and Pinkerton Road Studios)

- Rob Swigert's Portal (1986) Reborn

- SpaceVenture

- Rob Swigert's Portal (1986) Reborn v2.0

- Tex Murphey: Project Fedora, aka: The Tesla Project

- Reincarnation: The Root of all Evil

- Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure

- Lilly Looking Through

- Quest for Infamy

- HeXit

- Jack Houston and the Necronauts

- Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

- Hero-U: Road to Redemption (does this count as an adventure?)

- Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey

- Mage's Inititaion (again, adventure or RPG?)

- OMINOUS!

- A Small Favour

- The Realm

- Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

- AR-K

- Armikrog

- The Saint Christopher School Lockdown

- Alum

- LIONESS

- Octopus City Blues

- Knite and the Ghost Lights (still in progress!)

...wow, that's a lot of adventure games.

(Red means the project failed)

Yeah, that's a lot. I backed 16 of those, and out of those LSL: Reloaded is the only one out so far. Lilly Looking Through is releasing on Steam on November 1st though, so it's right around the corner.

You've also got Broken Sword coming out soon as well, don't forget.

Does anyone know when Moebius is estimated to be done? I feel like it was supposed to be this year, but I may be getting it confused with something else.

Does anyone know when Moebius is estimated to be done? I feel like it was supposed to be this year, but I may be getting it confused with something else.

December was the plan, I think, but it seems it might be pushed into next year.

December was the plan, I think, but it seems it might be pushed into next year.

Ah. Thanks.

Oh look, it's another cool-looking RPG to add to the list of ones I've backed: You Are Not The Hero.

They've already met their goal, but it's such a neat looking game I feel the need to share it anyway. SO tempted to go for the $55 tier, but I don't know if I have the money...

...especially after discovering the Boogerman 20th Anniversary Project. It's on next-gen consoles! And it's got Grant Kirkhope doing the music! GAH!

Probably to do with rights. Having a guest appearance is one thing - making a game with a character's name in the actual title is another altogether.

Also, Doug TenNaple's busy making Armikrog. I don't trust anyone else to make a complete EWJ game.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Shouldn't spend so much time chatting to SHODANFreeman.

Oh. Well, Shiny was bought out and the devs - including Doug - worked on other stuff while the EWJ license was farmed out to other, very much lesser, devs. Doug's had no input on the series since EWJ2.

Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim is in the last few days of funding and the goal is in sight, but they're not there yet.

If you don't remember, this is the blatant Wind Waker clone.

There's actually a demo out now to give you an idea of what they may be going for, so maybe consider giving it a go. Link's on the KS page, and there's a version for PC, Mac & Linux, which is pretty neat of them.

I'm trying again to get my crazy sort-of-adventure game Dropsy Kickstarted! I'm pretty optimistic we can do it this time! If any of you guys have blogs I'd LOVE a shoutout. Or a Tweet. Or anything!

This game has been in the works since 2011, and I'm incredibly excited about the prospect of finishing it.

Link here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy

1d1046ef7cbb6201dce1f6f7995414db_large.gif

ba08fb8a2b00431c978a3af70fc667c9_large.png

logoya.png

Hey, I remember that from the first Kickstarter! I feel almost ashamed that I didn't back it the first time round, so allow me to rectify that :)

Hey, I remember that from the first Kickstarter! I feel almost ashamed that I didn't back it the first time round, so allow me to rectify that :)

Hey, thanks a ton! I'm glad you dig it.

I'm also the guy who did that Massive Chalice song, if anyone remembers that. I did write it for cheap Dropsy publicity during their final day livestream, but I definitely have a certain amount of unbridled love for Brad and his games. :P

Dropsy looks pretty cool. I don't remember seeing the first campaign, but I'd like to see you succeed this time. Looks very promising so far, with over $6000 in pledges already.

Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim is in the last few days of funding and the goal is in sight, but they're not there yet.

If you don't remember, this is the blatant Wind Waker clone.

There's actually a demo out now to give you an idea of what they may be going for, so maybe consider giving it a go. Link's on the KS page, and there's a version for PC, Mac & Linux, which is pretty neat of them.

Why haven't I heard of this one before?

I don't mind that it's a clone of a console exclusive as computers get little enough of these kinds of games these days.

I spent about half an hour on the demo yesterday, and it was actually a lot of fun. It has it's fair share of bugs of course, but there was already a ton of stuff to do on the few islands you can reach in the demo. I ran around fighting a little, smashed some furniture to collect wood and used the wood to fire arrows from the ship. I thought it was cool that I could go inside the cottage that I had perforated with arrows later and see the arrow heads sticking in through the walls. I also lowered some drawbridges and swung out some platforms to reach closed off areas. All in all I really liked what I played.