Double Fine Action Forums
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Have you guys seen Iron & Ale? A dwarven drinking game! looks pretty fun and the dwarven kiss is hilarious

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1941136212/iron-and-ale-0

I really want one of those Steins! Im sure these guys will reach their goal.

To update on my last post, there's now a gameplay video of The Slaughter. Thanks for the continued support guys!

6ESHDPWpPLc

The Slaughter looks awesome already. Looking forward to the finished game.

A shame that Bolt Riley didn't make it. I was so sure it would definitely make it at the beginning of the campaign.

People should go and support the Stasis Kickstarter. It's a horror adventure game in the vein of Sanitarium and, from the Alpha already available, has some great puzzles and a perfect atmosphere.

The Slaughter looks awesome already. Looking forward to the finished game.

A shame that Bolt Riley didn't make it. I was so sure it would definitely make it at the beginning of the campaign.

Thanks flesk! It's so hard getting the word out with all the PS4/XBONE media frenzy at the moment, but the backers have been really supportive. I'd love to get more of the DF crew as I can't see any reason they wouldn't be interested in The Slaughter, even on some small level :/ I guess there are a lot of point-and-click projects on at the moment.

Yea it's a shame about Bolt Riley, the initial rush can always be a bit misleading, it sucks when things start to slow down!

I can imagine, but you're almost halfway there and according to Kicktraq.com, you're trending towards 102% funding. I don't know how accurate that is, but I have the impression that smaller indie projects often go a little above, because they take a little longer to pick up steam.

Yeah, I really hope Oded Sharon tries to get his game Kickstarted again in the future. The last Dropsy campaign was a big success, so I think sometimes regrouping, rescoping or just some persistence and getting the word out in advance might help. Even if a project doesn't succeed, a Kickstarter campaign is still a good way to promote a project.

At 55% now :) There is usually a big boost at the beginning and end of the Kickstarter from what I've seen, we're doing pretty good but still waiting on one announcement from any of the big blogs which could change everything.

I just don't think a conventional adventure game can make the kind of money Bolt Riley was asking for without a really big name behind it, someone/something even the average gamer has heard of like Tim Schafer, Broken Sword and Myst. Even the 7th Guest 3 is only at $86,390 and it's a cult classic :S

I haven't received any e-mails from them lately. Is it a beta version? I pledged $25, but I'm not sure if that included beta access.

Yeah, it's access to the Beta/demo. Sorry - forgot not everyone got that.

I did though, and here's a few thoughts.

1) The character models actually work pretty well visually, even if the animations are a bit stiff in places (picking up items from the floor, for example, is very robotic) and there's the odd glitch (*the fat man not moving his mouth when talking to him as Nico, for example)

2) There's no subtitles during the opening cutscene, which is irritating, especially in combination with...

3) The audio levels are off. The music can be too loud in places, and the dialogue in particular can be rather quiet at times, which makes it hard to hear what people are saying.

4) The opening cutscene itself is in two parts, and the second (set in the modern day) is very rushed - in particular, the reunion of George and Nico is shockingly brief. You'd expect them to make a bit more of a deal of this, but instead it's just "oh, I was insuring an art gallery and Nico just happened to show up. It was sweet." Very disappointing.

5) You switch between George and Nico pretty early on. Makes for an interesting contrast.

6) The voice actress for Nico is fine. Just like always. Different voice actress to before (as is tradition) but she sounds good. Looks good too ;)

7) The plot is... actually pretty interesting. I was worried it wouldn't be, but from what the Beta shows off, it seems pretty interesting.

Seems like Kickstarters are having a really hard time during the release of two new consoles. Festival of Magic, to me, seems like the thing people usually would have backed instantly. I mean, PC console style JRPG?

I still have a real problem with the backer rewards - of course, because they only give away Steam keys to backers. 'Freedom for games', but tie your backers to the largest publisher in PC history, that's what I'd personally call a philosophy paradox. But they ARE in talks with other DRM free platforms and have no problem with eventually distributing the game DRM free.

There's an alpha demo as well, and I've spent quite some happy hours with it yesterday. Try this... these guys should get a chance.

I'd be super sad if consoles were impacting on people's crowdfunding behaviours. I think there are other pressures at this time of year that are probably at work as well.

Festival of Magic looks neat. I was watching the pitch video, thinking that it looked like a huge undertaking. Hopefully they'll come back for a second round building on the awareness raised from this first attempt.

Hand of Fate (card collecting game with third person action RPG type combat) looks like it's going to be touch and go. It feels like they've got an achievable goal, but I suspect that they're suffering from not Australian Kickstarter campaigns not supporting Amazon payments.

I do think the launch of the next-gen consoles is slowing down crowd-funding a bit. Or maybe the Kickstarter community is waiting for a few more games to get released. I've now got 30 or more games queued up.

But there's always one more worthy project to back. Take Dyscourse for example.

It's not being billed as an adventure game, but its branching storyline and artwork certainly suggest it. A bunch of castaways are stranded after a plane crash and must work together to survive. Or must beat each others' brains in until there's only one left standing. Or... who knows? Survival is tricky like that.

I think it was mentioned in this other thread that there's a special bonus feature where several prominent indie game developers (including Tim of Legend) get stranded on their way to a game conference. Hilarity and cannibalism ensue, I'm sure.

7c3f2e3fb4c950b7ba0b0a8c0a87c2e4_large.jpg?1384805741

They're 69% funded but have just 3 days left to make goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlchemylabs/dyscourse-survivors-choose-wisely

Am I the only one excited about Festival of Magic?

I know I'm probably the only one exited about it, but Festival of Magic has a Kickstarter campaign up now. It's an adventure RPG, with turn-based combat and a world that looks open and interesting.

Seems like Kickstarters are having a really hard time during the release of two new consoles. Festival of Magic, to me, seems like the thing people usually would have backed instantly. I mean, PC console style JRPG?
Festival of Magic looks neat. I was watching the pitch video, thinking that it looked like a huge undertaking. Hopefully they'll come back for a second round building on the awareness raised from this first attempt.

Yeah, I think it looks very interesting too, and I think it's a shame that it looks like it won't even make it halfway. Even Darth Marsden backed it, and you know how restrictive he is with these kinds of things.

I think it will still get made one way or another though. As far as I can tell, they haven't received any funding from the Norwegian Film Institute yet, unlike Dreamfall Chapters, Teslagrad and Among the Sleep. And with the amount of attention they've gotten in Norwegian media, I think it's only a matter of time, so hopefully they'll launch a new campaign with a lower goal sometime in the future.

This is why I love Kickstarter.

ZCWWQhnRtoI

Back the project here.

If you back this AND Lobodestroyo, you unlock the main character from the latter as a bonus character in SWK:GP. Which is awesome.

Festival of Magic is seriously considering cancelling their Kickstarter and relaunching it in February.

Their reasoning?

It’s not hard to see that we launched our campaign at a very bad time.

We are seeing the effects of the Holiday Season (most recently Black Friday) and of course the launch of no less than two new console systems and the titles that go along with those enormous launches. We have every understanding that people want to spend their money and attention on the PS4, Xbox One and of course friends, family and food during the Holidays! From what we gather, our Kickstarter campaign hasn’t been the only one suffering under the extreme conditions we’re seeing now!

We have been talking internally about what to do about this. We’re at this time considering cancelling the current campaign and relaunching in late February with a better timed and improved kickstarter. The idea of cancelling the campaign has been discussed already in the comments section, so we suspect this isn’t coming as a big surprise for you all.

We have no intention of cancelling Festival of Magic, or downgrading the game in any way. All the feedback we have been getting both from you all on Kickstarter and from all the places we’ve showed Festival of Magic has been great! We believe, now more than ever, that Festival of Magic deserves to be made! We will continue fighting to make it happen!

We would really like to hear your opinion on relaunching the campaign in February.

Sadly true on all counts. It's a bad time of year to be launching a Kickstarter with so many other expenses draining people's wallets.

Of course you'd think people would have put that into consideration BEFORE they launched their projects, so I don't really have much sympathy for a lot of these. I'll no doubt re-back a fair few of them (Festival of Magic included) should they relaunch, but it's grudgingly.

Most of these projects only really get one shot, and to see them piss it away because they were too stupid to think that asking for money right before Christmas when TWO new games consoles are launching would be a bad idea... it's hard to feel sorry for them.

I'm not too into graphic novels or anything but this one looks pretty cool and they're sooo close to their goal. The art is pretty awesome and there's definitely some humor which sounds right up Double Fine supporters alleys. Who wouldn't love Vikings vs Aliens. Anyways check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1854464912/the-spider-king-graphic-novel/posts/687161?ref=activity

...and it's done. Festival of Magic's Kickstarter campaign has been cancelled, and will relaunch in February.

Hope I can remember it. I'm sure you guys will remind me though. Right?

...right?

...and it's done. Festival of Magic's Kickstarter campaign has been cancelled, and will relaunch in February.

Hope I can remember it. I'm sure you guys will remind me though. Right?

...right?

I will. I'm pretty sure it will be thoroughly covered by the Norwegian gaming sites I follow.

And regarding their timing with the campaign: I see your points about their timing being awful, but in their defense Xbox One hasn't launched here, we got very few PS4s in Norway, we don't have Thanksgiving, most people don't even know about Black Friday and we all have half income taxes in December to take the edge off Christmas shopping.

Woo! Lobodestroyo just hit their goal! Yeah!

That is awesome!

Hi yourself :)

I really wish I could back more, but it's an expensive time of year, y'know?

Still, I'd be very surprised if you didn't make your goal. You're really not asking for all that much and you're pretty damn close...

I haven't gotten around to playing the demo due to work and booze. I really hope that and the Steam Greenlight page provides enough of a push to get you across the finish line. Game looks crazy promising.

Mmm, booze sounds good right about now. Getting closer by the second, really exciting times!

Don't worry Darth, I'm happy to have you as a backer! Also, why did you make me watch an American Tail the game, my eyes!!!

Getting closer by the second, really exciting times!

Congrats on making your goal! Really looking forward to the end result.