Double Fine Action Forums
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

I don't understand the problem, as it seems to me they've been honest about the fact that the Kickstarter won't be the only method of funding for the game.
Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

OK, the problem with that quote is that it only appeared on the Kickstarter page towards the end of Day 2.

It should have been there from the very get-go. It may seem obvious that the $2 Million wouldn't have been enough, but when you're dealing with people's money, you need complete transparency from the start. If you're going to receive additional funding from other sources, you need to say so - you don't have to say exactly where, but you DO need to make it known.

The fact it's taken a couple of days for this to come out isn't cool. THAT'S the problem.

I didn't see that new quote they put :about aditonal funding :P

How will the funds raised through Kickstarter be used?

The funding collected through Kickstarter will go towards game development, minus Kickstarter's fees and the costs associated with running a Kickstarter.

Also I wasn't mad or anything I get Sony might have passed if it failed but I was just confused how the stretch goals work if there being funded by out side sorce.

From the famitsu interview:

2 million is the bare minimum for the game to exist, and if that was all they got, it would just be focused on the story. The more money it gets, the more of the things he wants to do will be possible.

As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.

Hopefully all those articles badmouthing the kickstarter (and by default Yu Suzuki reputation) don't affect the kickstarter.

Update #13

Jun 25 2015

Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement

138 Comments

598 likes

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

Okay, that's fine. I for one am perfectly fine with devs collecting kickstarter money to fund development, but then bringing in partners for marketing/distribution. That's perfectly reasonable to me, though based on what I saw with Mighty No 9, good luck explaining what that means to the average internet goblin.

He's right that it should have been clarified sooner, but better late than never.

Mighty no 9 just sent out a survey for the digital platform distribution

DRM-free PC DRMなしのPC版

Windows / Mac / Linux (Steam) ※スチーム上

Nintendo 3DS

Wii U

PS3 (Cross-buy - includes PS4 and PS Vita versions) ※PS4、PSVとのクロスバイ

PS4 (Cross-buy - includes PS3 and PS Vita versions) ※PS3、PSVとのクロスバイ

PS Vita (Cross-buy - includes PS3 and PS4 versions) ※PS3、PS4とのクロスバイ

Xbox 360

Xbox One

soo uhm, DRM-free, steam, 3DS, PS3 or X360 version? my X360 has the best controller, but the HDD is full, PS3 is nice but has the worst controller, 3DS is good on the go but yet again doesn't control very well. I can use an x360 controller for the PC version

Which one do you use most?

difficult to say. My gaming habits change weekly or monthly.

Forgot the WiiU. the controller is somewhat decent and I have plenty of room on the drive

Spellsworn

"Spellsworn is an Online Player vs. Player Arena Game. It is a place where wizards and magical creatures use their wits and spells to wage war in an everchanging arena.

Spellsworn is heavily inspired by classic arena games such as DOTA, League of Legends, Super Smash Bros. and traditional sumo-wrestling, but more than any other, Spellsworn is inspired by the user-created mod Warlock, made in Warcraft III."

Foxtail

"Inspired by games of yesterday, Foxtail draws from such classics as Legend of Kryandia, King’s Quest and Monkey Island. True to the point n’ click genre, Foxtail is a wonderfully animated pixel adventure, with a deep personal story, and challenging puzzles."

Anyone else get their Exploding Kittens decks, yet? I got mine on Saturday, and can barely stop playing it long enough to sleep and poop.

It's soooo much fun, and so easy to get in to. One recommendation. If you're only playing with two people, limit the ability to use pairs, three of a kind, and playing five cards with different icons, to only the cards that don't have instructions on them. Otherwise, the game loses a great deal of its strategy aspect, and becomes about hoarding cards until you are in a position to screw the other player by stealing all of their cards when you know they are about to get an exploding kitten. This is something that a lot of people have been complaining about, and I know that it has happened in every single game I've played with only two players until we limited it to just the cards with no description. Some people have gone so far as to remove the no description cards from the deck entirely to combat this, but that seems unnecessary. If you have more than two players, play the game normally, and you'll have a blast.

I got the 2 x normal + NSFW decks today

wish they were sent a month ago, so I could've taken them on vacation

That's the one I got too! Those boxes made me so happy. I was really surprised that we got a box for each deck, seeing as each box could easily contain two. That had to have really eaten into any profits the Kickstarter made for them. You definitely can't say that they took production, or even shipping short cuts. I love everything about it. Really happy I backed this.

I'm dissapointed by the surprise though. Some electronic thingamajig that once in a while, meows. Is it supposed to do htat when you open the box? because it seems it doesnt work al the time

Love the double magnets though. That's some fine quality box

It's light activated, so if the room isn't bright enough it won't go off.

Yeah, that's a pretty good one. I can't wait for expansions. I want more ridiculous art, and crazier rules to play with!

Sometimes a scope of a project is the most worrisome.

So this project launched with a fantasy RPG idea and the name Bioware plastered all over it. I hope people understand that they aren't going to end up with something that grand. I do wish them luck though. With all the big titles they have their names behind, I do believe that they are actually trying to achieve something of their own.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350275419/mooncrest-former-bioware-devs-fuse-story-and-tacti

It's light activated, so if the room isn't bright enough it won't go off.

I took one out of the cardboard to see what it was. probably damaged it. since it no longer works. the 2nd still does.

Sigh. A few glasses of wine and I cave in to pledge for the Bill Nye film. It's on the verge of not making it and that man made Junior High science class bearable.

Sometimes a scope of a project is the most worrisome.

So this project launched with a fantasy RPG idea and the name Bioware plastered all over it. I hope people understand that they aren't going to end up with something that grand. I do wish them luck though. With all the big titles they have their names behind, I do believe that they are actually trying to achieve something of their own.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350275419/mooncrest-former-bioware-devs-fuse-story-and-tacti

You're quite right, and it hurts. There are these four American guys who just want to make a game mostly as this team, but it doesn't seem like their skills complement each other sufficiently. Their Kickstarter concept art is excellent – of course, they have hired excellent concept artists from the Netherlands, the Phillipines and, oops, Germany just for the KS art. But this art is creating great expectations and they will never be able to deliver on those expectations.

They've put out a preliminary in game graphics video... which is hideous and they really shouldn't have. :(

They probably won't make it though.

They will be cancelling it today actually. They've learned too late what they need for a successful Kickstarter. They will relaunch when they have a proper pitch video, some more information, and something to show for the game. They did release a gif of the combat system along with that announcement made from pre-existing assets and it looked okay(in AAA terms) I thought. About what you'd expect from an experienced small team, simple but something that works.

Yeah the footage was horrible. They were left scrambling as everybody was complaining that they initially had nothing to show for the game. So they tossed something out that they had no money or time to work on. I'm still at least interested. These guys actually know how to make a fleshed out game(well, one of them has anyway. I got a temp job vibe from at least two of the others). Whether it's a good recipe with whom they have and whether they have good ideas are another story.