Double Fine Action Forums
Apat14

Kickstarter Thread - Post all Kickstarter links here!

Elementary, My Dear Holmes! has launched on Kickstarter. The development team at Victory Square Games describe it best:

A point-and-click adventure game starring legendary sidekick John Watson on an epic quest to prove that Sherlock Holmes is just a jerk.

Seems like something us Double Fine fans could appreciate! The development team sound like they have a deep appreciation for the old Sierra and LucasArts adventures and want to make something every bit as fun and funny as those classics of yore. Check out the names of the reward tiers for a trip down memory lane...

081ba8a91fee370aa65f53b6c571e62e_large.jpg?1376344367

Check out the concept art and the pitch video on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1375982935/elementary-my-dear-holmes

Mighty No. 9 is funded already. I hope they can reach the console stretch goal. It would be so much better to play on a large screen with a controller in hand.

It isn't too much of a stretch with the start they've gotten off too. I like that they're cooperating with Humble Bundle and Fangamer for reward fulfillment.

Mighty No. 9 is funded already. I hope they can reach the console stretch goal. It would be so much better to play on a large screen with a controller in hand.

connect PC to tv, connect X360 controller

Who needs a console?

Consoles haven't had exclusivity on large screens or game pads for many, many years.

If they don't reach the stretch goal or if they do and don't support a console you have, I can vouch for JelDeRebel's advice.

Have backed Mighty No9. Probably would have done it anyway, but the real clincher was the $2M stretch goal... 3 30min documentary episodes from 2PP! Sold :)

Consoles haven't had exclusivity on large screens or game pads for many, many years.

If they don't reach the stretch goal or if they do and don't support a console you have, I can vouch for JelDeRebel's advice.

That's one of the things I'm excited about with the announced Steam box. Sure a dedicated Steam box or even Steam isn't really needed, but I'm hoping it might act as inspiration for hardware manufacturers to make compact computers with good specs, reasonably little noise and good cooling solutions as well as drive down the price of the individual components. The average consumer doesn't want to put a huge ass computer inside their tv cabinet, and that's where a lot of the appeal in consoles comes from. That and the exclusives of course.

Who wants more Shantae?

...if you didn't answer "ME!", then there's something wrong with you.

Anyway, WayForward are Kickstarting a new Shantae game and it looks gorgeous. Go back it.

Oh, and before you comment about her skin colour:

Hi friends! Since there were a lot of comments regarding skin tone, we lined up all the Shantae artwork from past games, and the skin tones are all over the board. We've always left this to artist discretion in the past. However, this new artwork does stand out as the lightest she's been since back in the GBC days, so I'm sure we'll adjust it once we have our character lineup established. This is a great example of Kickstarter comments shaping the eventual product, so please make your opinions heard!

Olympus: An Epic Orchestral Album, a Kickstarter Staff Pick, has 44 hours left and is at 97%.

It's exactly what it sounds like, a Kickstarter for an album of epic fantasy orchestral music inspired by Greek mythology. You can see if you like the music here:

Also, for what it's worth Tommy Tallarico from Video Games Live backed it. Though I don't know if saying that makes you guys more or less likely to back it. ;)

So... Elementary, My Dear Holmes! has just been suspended.

I suspect this may have to do with the contest they were running (and then cancelled when they realized they weren't actually allowed to do it), but we'll have to wait and see what they say about it.

Absolutely not, my dear Darth.

It was cancelled because of the absolutely quantifiable allegations of FRAUD.

Namely, we're talking 300 to 471 obviously fake Kickstarter accounts, created in batches in alphabetical order, partly named after and pictured with celebrities, which were used to send this project over the finish line to receive OUYA exclusivity funds. This is the first big Kickstarter scandal, and if we're very very lucky, heads will roll.

Expect to read about this in all the major online gaming magazines tomorrow, weekend be damned. BIG SHIT.

/edit: Oh. Swear filter. Ah well, guess it's back to the Telltale forums for me. :P

what a mess. ouya should have just made exclusivity deals the old fashioned way. if they really wanted to do a kickstarter thing maybe they should have tried to buy exclusive content (costumes, levels) instead of trying to buy games outright.

So... Elementary, My Dear Holmes! has just been suspended.

I suspect this may have to do with the contest they were running (and then cancelled when they realized they weren't actually allowed to do it), but we'll have to wait and see what they say about it.

Absolutely not, my dear Darth.

It was cancelled because of the absolutely quantifiable allegations of FRAUD.

Namely, we're talking 300 to 471 obviously fake Kickstarter accounts, created in batches in alphabetical order, partly named after and pictured with celebrities, which were used to send this project over the finish line to receive OUYA exclusivity funds. This is the first big Kickstarter scandal, and if we're very very lucky, heads will roll.

Expect to read about this in all the major online gaming magazines tomorrow, weekend be damned. BIG SHIT.

/edit: Oh. Swear filter. Ah well, guess it's back to the Telltale forums for me. :P

It's a shame, I was actually really psyched for that game.

I grew up watching The Great Mouse Detective, then read Sherlock Holmes proper, then saw the Guy Ritchie film, then Sherlock, then the other Guy Ritchie film.

Kickstarter did not pull the plug on Gridiron Thunder, a project even MORE suspicious than Elementary, my dear Holmes. The funding period just ended, leaving the makers of an already finished game with 171,009$ from 181 backers (yeah, righhhhht, don't we all believe that?) to deliver their stupid football game by next week.

OUYA will double the raised amount, no questions asked, and the makers will probably even get OUYA's additional 100,000$ BONUS for the highest funded campaign. This is so incredibly shameful.

I can't trust the Kickstarter platform any more.

While Gridiron Thunder does look fishy, it has a lot less backers and it may not be as easy for Kickstarter to detect legitimate fraud. Should Kickstarter go around shutting down projects based on a hunch? Is it their responsibility to ensure the integrity of Ouya's contest? I see a lot of problems in Kickstarter too but really we can't lay the blame for this at their feet. This was simply a bad idea on the part of Ouya. It actually seemed like a decent idea at first to me but a company full of people betting a million bucks on this should have sat down and spent more time thinking through the consequences. This is like New Coke levels of unfortunate judgement.

also this:

While it's entirely possible that the people who funded Elementary, My Dear Holmes under fake names could be people who wanted to remain relatively anonymous while donating. I don't blame them, I understand that some people have been harassed, or simply don't want their real info anywhere online. But that many of them seems super unlikely.

While it's entirely possible that the people who funded Elementary, My Dear Holmes under fake names could be people who wanted to remain relatively anonymous while donating. I don't blame them, I understand that some people have been harassed, or simply don't want their real info anywhere online. But that many of them seems super unlikely.

Super super unlikely. Especially the accounts created in alphabetical order in June and July, those 125 or more who chose the picture of a celebrity (or missed person) for their profile with at least the first name the same as the celebrity. Those that suddenly started changing their names and sometimes their sex when backers commented on this... no, no, no. This is as fishy as it gets. Well, at least if you leave Gridiron Thunder out of the equation.

I concede that while Gridiron Thunder smells even more fishy, Kickstarter is far less able to prove fraudulent actions with just a look at the backer list. Fact of the matter still is, if you subtract those more-than-a-thousand dollar backers who did not even claim a reward ("industry friends"), you end up with about one hundred backers for this game. If things go really well, mogoTXT could end up with 272,000 bonus dollars for an OUYA exclusive game about a hundred people actually wanted. Really, that's it for Kickstarter. That's not crowd funding. It's just something-funding.

Yay, another awesome Kickstart project to back.

I'm almost tempted to show off the list of projects I've backed. Seriously, it'd make your heads spin.

Yay, another awesome Kickstart project to back.

I'm almost tempted to show off the list of projects I've backed. Seriously, it'd make your heads spin.

let's all post this list and lament the amount of money we spend on games that don't even exist. here's the stuff i backed:

YpZNzOyl.png

Yeah, what's up with that?

Here's my list of backed project. It's probably not a whole lot compared to Darth Marsden, but I've tried to restrict my Kickstarter spendings. I even had a long streak of not backing anything at all, but I think it was Dreamfall Chapters that got me going again earlier this year.

G6EGgwp.jpg?2

I've got some things backed on IndieGoGo too, and at least one of those isn't a game (Gravity Light).

You asked for it...

- [del]A Classy Evening with Lady Jesaira[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- Ancient Dystopia[

- ArmorClass10 - Clothes for Gamers (some kick-ass t-shirts)

- Bill Berends: In My Dreams I Can Fly (album)

- Brawl in the Family: Volume One

- Boot Hill Heroes

- Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

- Carmageddon: Reincarnation

- [del]CODENAME: DELTA SiX[/del] (cancelled due to lack of interest - later restarted and met goal, but without me)

- [del]Consent P0rn: Collected Erotica[/del] (didn't reach goal - and the forum doesn't like the word p0rn? Huh.)

- Crystal Catacombs

- Double Fine Adventure (aka: Broken Age)

- Echoes of Eternia

- Erythia: Shattered Dreams

- [del]Feeble's Fable[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- [del]Graphic Fan-Art Buttons[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- Grim Dawn

- [del]Hexit[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- [del]Interstellar Marines: Prologue[/del] (didn't reach goal, but it's on Steam Early Access, so go get it - it's actually pretty good)

- Jack Houston and the Necronauts

- Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio (including Moebius)

- Kick-Heart - worth every penny!

- Kingdom RPG

- Kingdom: The Clans

- Learn Game Programming (regretting this - tha man doing it has a VERY boring voice)

- [del]Legend of the Time Star[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded

- Lilly Looking Through

- One Per Person

- Paper Knight Story

- Pier Solar HD

- Project Eternity

- Project Giana (aka: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams)

- Quest for Infamy

- Rainfall: The Sojourn

- Reincarnation: The Root of All Evil - this is the one I meant when I mentioned guys starting other projects before finishing their main one. He did a separate t-shirt Kickstarter, and he's also got an Android runner game in the works. Hmm.

- Rising Sun: Episode I

- [del]Risque[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- [del]Rob Swigart's Portal (1986) Reborn[/del] (cancelled due to lack of interest)

- [del]Rob Swigart's Portal (1986) Reborn v2.0[/del] (same thing)

- [del]Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure[/del] (cancelled due to behind-the-scenes issues and lack of interest)

- Shadowrun Returns

- [del]Shaker[/del] (cancelled due to lack of interest)

- SpaceVenture

- Spate

- Tex Murphy: Project Fedora (aka: Tesla Effect)

- [del]Vacant Sky: Awakening[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- [del]Underwater Nirvana: Bodies in Motion[/del] (didn't reach goal)

- Unemployment Quest

...and that's just page one of two!