Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 2: A Promise of Infinite Possibility

Love the video and actually love the idea for the game so far; it may well change of course. I can't wait to see what happens next. Good job everybody!

I think Discworld Noir innovations would go on the small innovations pile; still I’d like to see something like that revisited again.

The Blackwell Series revisited it.

Oh wait a minute; you know what game was really innovating?

In Memoriam, that took adventuring to a whole new level by mixing reality and game with internet browsing.

I would definitely like to see more done in the vain of In Memoriam, particularly stuff that take the notion further visually and blending it with more traditional styles.

So, In Memoriam is a traditional adventure game now? You confuse me! :-/

Another great episode. Thanks for sharing the update 2PP!

Sounds like an interesting idea for a story. I've always been partial to the stories that have a good heart to them, and there are definitely lots of possibilities with that set up. Although... If there's a scene where they're both staring up at the moon and start singing "Somewhere Out There" than that may be going to far... =)

On no, In Memoriam is not traditional and I wouldn’t presume to suggest it was, I thought we were including pretty much everything under the adventure umbrella.

Not sure what fundamental gameplay innovations traditional 3rd person adventure games have done last... Not including conveniences like complete hotspot highlight and double clicking across screens instantly.

I'm pretty stoked on the premise of the game. I get all the fuzzy/good/melancholy feels thinking about the game that I get watching The Life Aquatic. Something, something about a favorite age being 11 and a half.

Still so many possibilities.

I completely agree about music. I loved the Maniac Mansion music that I played after school every day in high school, when I told my parents I was doing sports. Then when they saw me suck at sports, they just thought I sucked. But I was sharpening my adventure skills.

I love this recent game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_of_Isaac especially the music. It is a bit darker than I would like to be able to play with my daughters, but it is a modern Zelda-like game.

Full Throttle++, Grim Fandango++, Maniac Mansion++, DOTA++, Monkey Island++, Tim and Ron++

Is it me, or am I the only one who wants that theme music in the game?

Love it. It's so nice to feel like I'm a part of the whole process.

Don't push/rush it just because you feel you need to gratify our expectations asap, though.

I'll admit it... I have never finished a point-and-click adventure game (although I have STARTED many). I totally backed this project purely for the videos, and I'm loving it.

I'll probably boot up the game when it arrives, play for about 30 minutes, and then it will happen... I'll have to spend the next four hours looking for some stupid little item that I missed. Bah. And then I'll quit. But hey, the videos are worth it.

I'm the same way. I've started many as a kid, I have a couple including Machinarium but I got frustrated by the fourth room or so and gave up.

However, I haven't played a Double Fine game that I didn't like and hopefully - HINT HINT DF Team - there's a system or style to the game that ensures that these situations aren't as common or skippable (ie you can forgo a puzzle, but with less of a reward or some level of reasonable punishment). Not as a cheat, mind you, but to allow an unclever man such as myself to enjoy the story without getting too frustrated early on and simply not finishing it.

When I think back at adventure games that I played, I think what I loved about them was the experience of an interactive story. I can understand why some of the people in the episode said they were not fans of the puzzles because some adventure games the puzzles were not integrated into the story, they didn't add to the story experience.

So I hope in this game the focus is on telling a really good story that the player feels they have a part of telling, rather that a series of puzzles that a player overcomes so that they can get to the story.

I guess there can be a divide between those who want to be challenged by their game and those who want to be entertained by their game.

Great episode, very inspiring to hear how Tim goes about his creative process.

Ah it's nice to hear something, even something so small as that it's just good to know ideas are happening. I'd like to see where this idea goes but I wont be ticked if it goes in another direction ether, the production time in still young.

I don't know if this'll help but I got into point click games about 3 years ago now. I didn't have any nostalgic attachment to them but I still loved them. I just went on a huge point and click spree. Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle and of course Monkey Island and more. I just went nuts for them because they were clever. They would make me laugh, the styles and environments were great! The only big title point and click games I couldn't really like that I had played was Kings Quest. Puzzles were to... well Sierra logic for me, haha. I think as long as you keep that balance between logical but not to easy it'll work out great! Also with Kings Quest I could never like any of the characters, most was sort of a combination of bad voice acting and bad writing and in the end it made me not care about what was happening and in turn not want to finish the games. Double Fine has always been great at making awesome characters so I'm sure that wont be a problem. This is just my view though.

Hope it helps if this ever gets read.

I feel as if there should be a thread devoted to the question of "the adventure game puzzle." I really hope they preserve the classic inventory / point 'n click style puzzle. For me, there was nothing more satisfying than mulling over an obstacle until you reach that "ah-ha" epiphany moment and figure it out. I live for that. Or maybe you figure out a creative solution, give it a try, but then fail and receive a wry comment (think it was going to be THAT easy, eh?).

When there's a really creative puzzle... that's what I love about adventure games. It's as if you're creating, inventing, or discovering something. You get that "ah-ha" moment and it's a personal accomplishment. You feel as if it's your own original creation, even though it clearly isn't. And when you solve an especially tricky, inventive, or humorous puzzle, you don't only feel excited, but you gain a great sense of appreciation for the game's sophistication.

I still remember, to this day, this one puzzle in Sam and Max. Remember when you're in the Tunnel of Love and you have to get the boat to stop? You do so by selecting Max (the fuzzy, murderous bunny), dipping him in water, and clicking him on a control box. It zaps the poor guy, busts up the panel, and stops the ride. And Max, despite getting violently shocked, just nonchalantly shrugs it off. THAT is what I love in a puzzle. It's creative, humorous, and totally encapsulates the game's "type" of humor and the personalities of its characters.

I sincerely hope they preserve adventure game puzzles. They should definitely phase out the pixel hunting, of course, and that's always going to be a struggle. But that's what playtesting is for! Also, I'm a bit alarmed about all the Machinarium references. I thought it was a decent game, but it was all style and little substance. I want compelling dialogue, damnit!

Then again, I'm sure I'll love and enjoy any game they make. Do whatever you want, people!

Sounds like a really interesting story. Now i'm just hoping humor will come across. The current setting (the boy girl different worlds) seems to lend itself more towards drama or quirkiness. Well i suppose humor will really come across in the worlds they set them in. :P

Now i'm just hoping humor will come across. The current setting (the boy girl different worlds) seems to lend itself more towards drama or quirkiness.

Oh I have no doubt that it'll be plenty humorous. I don't think Tim is capable of making a thoroughly serious, unfunny game. Impossible, I say!

sounds great. im really stoked at the idea of a dual coming of age story set in different worlds with different genders.

The videos are always too short, lol! Great stuff and very well done. And Tim might just be the most likeable guy I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

The concept reminds me of that Xfiles episode where Mulder is on a ship in the Bermuda Triangle in the past and Scully is on the same ship in the present.

redbot and his quest to grow an bread, chinchillas everywhere, fur tech and nudity, some lumberjack, and we must never forget the monster car that never must be

It's always a pleasure to watch these, thanks so much for posting them. I could quite happily listen to Tim ramble on for hours, he's so cuddly and lovable.

This was a great episode!

Very 'meaty' with lots of content from varying sides of the story <3

I know it is probably redundant to say, but watching this process is more than worth the price of admission. I feel like the adventure is us. Double Fine, you guys and gals. Double fine.

This is my thought exactly!

On the topic of puzzles in adventure games, I don't think there is a problem with having them in. The only issue I ever have with "puzzles" are the kind where it's not really a puzzle but more of a scavenger hunt to find an item and you have to go all over the place and backtrack to try and find it. Just my opinion anyway... I guess there are probably people that like this type of stuff. o.O

Such an amazing story idea. Definitely not enough good coming of age tales in gaming. I got very excited when Tim started describing even the basic idea for a story. Sounds great and I cannot wait to watch it evolve. And to echo other people's point, the documentary alone is well worth the kickstarter pledge. Great job all around!

It's always a pleasure to watch these, thanks so much for posting them. I could quite happily listen to Tim ramble on for hours, he's so cuddly and lovable.

Yes he is. I wish he would adopt me.

the idea for the game presented in this vid so far has me really psyched for it. i think we didnt support you guys because we wanted a game with "spiders" as tim put it, but because we want to see what work of art you guys come up with next. very pleased!

Great Video, Great game Idea... backing this was one of the best decisions I made on crowdfunding, wish I had some more money for it.

And also, not many people mentioned it but having an equal female protagonist is absolutely wonderful. Totally important in this day & age. :lol:

Sign in to follow this