Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
breanniebelle

I won't lie, I'm a little butt hurt about the Slacker Backer thing....

If I would have had the money to donate more than $15 I gladly would have, but at the time I could barely afford to eat and didn't want to miss out on being involved with my favorite developer, Tim. So I sucked it up and went with the $15. And now, people can just hop on after the fact and get the same perks I got, and though I understand and respect opening up the donation process to more people, I feel as though I should still have more perks than they get. I know life isn't fair blah blah blah, but that doesn't change how I feel. I made a sacrifice, if the Kickstarter were now I could give a lot more, but it isn't. And in hindsight I could've waited til now to give the money, when I'm working and wouldn't miss it as much.

TLDR: I'm mad that Slacker Backers are getting the same perks as us $15 Kickstarters.

/endrant

How do you all feel about it?

I'm mad that people prefer their special snowflake status more than they want to see a developer they love get more support to make this project as awesome as possible.

I'm mad that people prefer their special snowflake status more than they want to see a developer they love get more support to make this project as awesome as possible.

^

Tim and the team asked us what we think. Most of the people didn't see any problem, me included. Closed topic.

so...you're mad that you got your rewards sooner rather than later? huh...

I knew my opinion would be met with a lot of opposition, but I'm surprised no one shares it--or is willing to admit it for that matter. I do understand where the rest of you are coming from, and let me reiterate: I am not angry that they decided to let more money come in, I just wish they had gone about it a little differently. Actually I'm not angry at all, just a little irked. Nothing I can't/won't get over however. Just needed to vent.

^

Since everyone keeps quoting this....I have no problem whatsoever with them bringing in more money as I said in my OP.

Why they should have less rights? Maybe they didn't have the money at the time, just like you had only $15, maybe they didn't know, maybe they simply took more time to decide. Either way, they should not be punish in any way and this has nothing to do with you, it won't affect you in any way.

Didn't care when they asked us, and now that they've done it still don't care. It's a good chance for the game to grow, which is all that should matter in my opinion.

Original poster, while I myself an not at all irked by this, I completely disagree with the people complaining that you think you're a special snowflake. And while we're slightly insulting each other (but it's all in good fun right?), I think you're being high horsed. I think there's a better way to phrase that, but you get the idea.

I was opposed to the Slacker Backers not because I personally wanted to feel special, but because I feel it ruins the Kickstarter model and as one facet of that creates the issue that you yourself are facing.

I think part of the beauty of how Kickstarter is set up is the time limit. If people feel like they can just enter at any time there is much less incentive for them to get involved. And it is more beneficial for them to join later than at the start; having the money with them gives they more flexibility with their finances or they can let it accumulate some interest in the bank. Part of the Kickstarter promise is that all these things were limited to backers. The exclusivity gives it some extra value, and letting other people join now degrades it a bit.

However, this doesn't affect me personally all that much. My concerns are more at a big picture level, and it's also somewhat speculative. I'm sure Kickstarter will still do fine, and maybe this will have no affect on it at all. Maybe the benefit to Double Fine and the Slacker Backers justifies the damage this might do to the overall Kickstarter model (and again, maybe there's no damage at all).

Those are my thoughts on it, anyway.

I feel like Double Fine changed their mind on something in a way that cost me a ton of money, so it could benefit them financially - I donated around $100, because it was a moment that had to happen for the future of the genre of games I love.

I'm also pretty shocked that there's less community support for the general notion of "keeping Double Fine honest." I guess that's a testament to the rabidness of the fanbase, at least until it effects more people somehow.

I am a fan of yours, Mr. Frisby - after all, you set up that irc channel, and thus qualify I think as a Good Thing in the community. But I am genuinely puzzled by why you think this is important.

For one thing, it strikes me as over the top to suggest that DF have been dishonest, here. Not every case where people change their minds about something involves dishonesty. Good grief, I've given a lot of essay deadline extensions to sick or stressed students, should that necessarily be considered dishonest?

So it seems you must be suggesting that their changing their minds about a funding deadline was somehow manipulative or disrespectrul. But again I don't see how this is the case. And why do you think it cost you money? If you donated a lot to help save the future of the genre, under conditions where you have little money to spare (and kudos to you, sir, for your determination and bravery in that regard), why did you not reduce the amount you were going to donate when it became clear such self-sacrificial largesse was not necessary?

Sorry if I ramble or mispell, I am up late from eating too much curry. Just a little TMI for you, there.

I think part of the beauty of how Kickstarter is set up is the time limit. If people feel like they can just enter at any time there is much less incentive for them to get involved. And it is more beneficial for them to join later than at the start; having the money with them gives they more flexibility with their finances or they can let it accumulate some interest in the bank.

I'm not sure about this - it's still an excellent gauge of community enthusiasm, not to mention the better rewards they miss out on. And fifteen dollars does not generate noticeabe interest in any of our human banks. :-)

Anyway - again -, DF asked us. We said yes. That's it.

That's why the Earth used to be flat, right, because everyone thought it was?

I paid $15 because I wanted to support the developers. If I wasn't able to spare that $15 at all, or I only found out about this project AFTER it had ended, I would have been upset at not being able to fund it.

I thoroughly support people being able to contribute even after that window had ended.

Anyway - again -, DF asked us. We said yes. That's it.

Duh? I'm just saying that the time to complain has passed.

Don't be selfish. Some people probably still never heard of kickstarter. Let them sell their game and make more money. Another thing to keep in mind is the kickstarter thing was "donations" with rewards. Your quote about "if the Kickstarter were now I could give a lot more, but it isn’t" hey it's not too late; donate anyway without expecting rewards. That's the nice thing to do.

I for one share the posters opinion, as someone who is also close-to-broke most of the time these days.. Attacking people that feel a bit ripped off by calling them some ridiculous name, or stuck on the exclusiveness, doesn't really advance the debate.

I feel like Double Fine changed their mind on something in a way that cost me a ton of money, so it could benefit them financially - I donated around $100, because it was a moment that had to happen for the future of the genre of games I love.

So, I sympathize, since it seems like that deadline turns out to be false -- and this is beyond-a-doubt a telling moment of Double Fine "changing their mind," "backtracking," or whatever you want to call it. I don't see how this is different from Google "being evil" - Double Fine has broken a promise, regardless of how-much-we-love-Tim-Schafer - case closed.

Edit to add:

This clearly doesn't stop me from following the game, or getting over this eventually -- but it does hurt -- I'm also pretty shocked that there's less community support for the general notion of "keeping Double Fine honest." I guess that's a testament to the rabidness of the fanbase, at least until it effects more people somehow.

I understand your frustration about sacrificing money when you didn't really need to, but I honestly don't understand why you feel betrayed, especially when Double Fine never promised Kickstarter-only exclusivity, only backer exclusivity. The deadline in Kickstarter is the time when the funding has to reach its goal, otherwise no money is given. It's an insurance for backers to prevent them losing money if the goal isn't reached. That's it. Considering Double Fine reached that goal in a mere 8 hours, that was not an issue for long. I'm not sure how you interpreted Double Fine's words at the time, but I definitely don't see any contradiction between what they promised and their actions.

People who think they are betrayed by a business is funny. You're acting like your childhood friend pulled the head off your G I Joe which probably happened anyway.

Im sorry you had money problems when the Kickstarter was going on breanniebelle. That really sucks. That you went out of your way to scrape together the money for the kickstarter shows your DF fan chops.

I hope you can at least understand that its actually better if Doublefine can continue to make pre-orders and money that they can use. You can still be mad or disappointed, after all emotions don't have to be logical.

Reasons that I backed this project:

To ensure that it got made

To add to the total and show the world that lots of people want this type of game

To see the documentary

Because I was going to get it at release anyway unless something horrible went wrong

I didn't back it to feel special. I don't care who else gets access to these things going forward.

I understand your frustration about sacrificing money when you didn't really need to, but I honestly don't understand why you feel betrayed, especially when Double Fine never promised Kickstarter-only exclusivity, only backer exclusivity. The deadline in Kickstarter is the time when the funding has to reach its goal, otherwise no money is given. It's an insurance for backers to prevent them losing money if the goal isn't reached. That's it. Considering Double Fine reached that goal in a mere 8 hours, that was not an issue for long. I'm not sure how you interpreted Double Fine's words at the time, but I definitely don't see any contradiction between what they promised and their actions.

I disagree regarding the promise that was made. I don't remember everything that was written or said, but if they said backer, it is implied that they are referring to Kickstarter backers. Going by the letter, we could interpret it differently, but until this turn of events there was no reason to think that when they said backer they were referring to a more general type of backer as opposed to the Kickstarter backers. There's the concept of lying and deceiving, and while something may not be a straight out lie, it could still be a deception.

I do like Double Fine, and I don't want to slander them by saying they were trying to trick everyone. They weren't. You can get into the issue of if you say something that's not true but you thought it was true were you lying (or deceiving). You get the idea. They were perfectly reasonable about all this, asking backers if they were okay with it, and they had good justifications for everything. I just want to point out that I believe there is a contradiction, and the people who aren't happy with this turn of events are justified.

People who think they are betrayed by a business is funny. You're acting like your childhood friend pulled the head of your G I Joe which probably happened anyway.

I also don't agree with this, and I am going to illustrate why using a hyper exaggerated example. Let's say I buy a robot that the company promises is supposed to vacuum my floors, and then instead it kills my dog, my hamster, my cat, and my fish. I would not be a happy customer.

Edit:

Since I've been so negative so far (well, it depends on which side you're on), I'm going to say that I think this guy has exactly the right attitude about this, and I completely agree.

Im sorry you had money problems when the Kickstarter was going on breanniebelle. That really sucks. That you went out of your way to scrape together the money for the kickstarter shows your DF fan chops.

I hope you can at least understand that its actually better if Doublefine can continue to make pre-orders and money that they can use. You can still be mad or disappointed, after all emotions don't have to be logical.

I have a friend who was between jobs during the Kickstarter and was fairly frustrated that she couldn't afford to back the project, since she's quite the Tim Schafer/Double Fine fan. Needless to say she's pretty pleased with the slacker backer thing and will be making her belated pledge soon.

It's totally understandable that you're frustrated that some of the perks thought exclusive to Kickstarter backers just became somewhat less exclusive, but in the end this will benefit Double Fine and help make the game better.

This isn't a matter of truth, it's a matter of consensus.

I've put some quick thought into this and I throw it to original poster, Jonathan Frisby, Richie Thai and anyone else feeling slighted.

Take THIS factor into mind.

Sure they are opening up things making anyone who only contributed at $15 feel like they "wasted their energy"... BUT here's what to consider.

The backer portion of this forum has been open for two months. In that time many new people came to the forum and have been able to be part of conversations.

We have no idea what the free writing in Tim's notebook led to his concept.

For all we know it could be a free writing where he was...

"So, was reading the backer forums and MichaelYuletideMolestus mentioned this movie about a castle in the sky. If a castle was in the sky would it an encounter a spaceship? Oh spaceships, I remember when I was a kid and watched that NASA flight... weren't they talking about flight in the forums? No, I don't know... should I have chilli for lunch? Chilli how did that start? Was it in Texas, maybe its older... like a medieval castle? Wait, wasn't I talking about spaceships? Hrmmm... I was talking about both... that gives me an idea!"

So... yeah, just saying... we have no clue what we're inspiring, changing, affecting in the game over the last two months, but I trust we have.

Tim and the team asked us what we think. Most of the people didn't see any problem, me included. Closed topic.

Probably should have discounted the opinions of anyone but the $15 tier, though, since they're the only one directly affected.

so...you're mad that you got your rewards sooner rather than later? huh...

Quite the contrary, anyone paying now will get the stuff a lot more quickly. They'd get two episodes and other videos and updates, etc.

FWIW, I'm $15 tier and a starving student, and I don't mind opening it up at all. I'll always have the bragging rights of a Kickstarter backer, while people who pledge via Paypal are just glorified pre-orders. ;)

I think that raising the price for new entrants would have been a nice concession to reward people who pledged early, but I'm fine with it either way. Kickstarter is a weird mix of crowdfunded product and crowdfunded charity, and it was far more the latter than the former for me.

Very true. Thank you.

I have a friend who was between jobs during the Kickstarter and was fairly frustrated that she couldn't afford to back the project, since she's quite the Tim Schafer/Double Fine fan. Needless to say she's pretty pleased with the slacker backer thing and will be making her belated pledge soon.

It's totally understandable that you're frustrated that some of the perks thought exclusive to Kickstarter backers just became somewhat less exclusive, but in the end this will benefit Double Fine and help make the game better.

You have a valid point, I hadn't seen it that way. You're right. Funny how condescension and name-calling by others failed to change my mind but this did:) People should take notes, insults don't change minds.

I didn't make the OP to be ridiculed, talk smack about Double Fine, or piss people off. I was simply venting an opinion and asking for feedback, widening my view of the subject. My view has been widened. Thank you everyone for your input: support or counter opinion. I cannot wait to see how this game turns out:)