Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cel1ne

A thought on Story & Puzzles

Hi,

just watched the latest Video and i figured i contribute my thoughts.

1. People like hearing stories about people (not necessarily humans, entities in the broadest sense, anything that seems to have a sense of self and that they can relate to).

2. People can relate to archetypes especially, i do mean Jung's here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_archetypes

In that sense, i think certain types of humor (the ones you guys at kickstarter have) are archetypical or

relate to them somewhere.

(?) 3. Maybe puzzles get less of a story-bump if they involve people. Not "make that machine do something" but "Resolve this interpsychological situation" or, put more egocentrically: "make that protagonist do something". I think that is what make Psychonauts so great.

Regards & Love

Fabian

3 is something that actually happens pretty often in (older and newer) Adventure games.

It's one type of puzzle that can be interesting, no doubt.

Excuse me cel1ne, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It really sounds interesting, but I don't know half of the vocabulary you're using. Can you be more clear for people that don't have a background in psychology?

Hey. It's not that much psychology really. The archetype thing is also disputed, but i think it fits in some discussions.

Quote from WP

"Carl Gustav Jung developed an understanding of archetypes as being “ancient or archaic images that derive from the collective unconscious”. There are many different archetypes and Jung has stated they are limitless, but they have been simplified; examples include the persona, the shadow, the anima, the animus, the great mother, the wise old man, the hero, and the self

So the idea basically says that there are types of characters which are pervasive or universal to all cultures. Everybody knows what a "hero" is, no matter how he looks what he does etc.

3 is something that actually happens pretty often in (older and newer) Adventure games.

Yeah i know, i just think it might be good to differentiate the types of puzzles that people find boring or a blocker or whatever and i can imagine that puzzles involving people are uninteresting more seldom .

Yeah i know, i just think it might be good to differentiate the types of puzzles that people find boring or a blocker or whatever and i can imagine that puzzles involving people are uninteresting more seldom .

I don't think so. I like a huge variety of puzzles in a game (for example Indy 4 comes with different challenges). Besides... every type of puzzle can be cool! Boring puzzles are usually not boring because of their type but because of their execution in the game.

Sign in to follow this