• very funny
    • funny
    • with humoristic accents
    • moderate
    • bit serious
    • serious
    • grim

Hi evryone.

When i first read about Tim's "old school adventure game" I imagined a game like monkey island, DOTT, Sam & Max, a funny, yet engaging game. I never even considered it could be sarious game. After "Episode 2: A Promise of Infinite Possibility" ,especially after Ron said that today he would not make a game like monkey island I realised, that they never said it would be a game like MI or DOTT, only that it would be an "old style".

So, Tim, Ron, Please, tell us what you think about it?

Also, backers. What kind of game do you expect?

WAIT! Nobody vote! Could you clarify your scale by adding examples for each level?

Psychonauts funny? Pirates of the Caribbean funny? Schindler's List funny?

Edit:

FLCL funny? Fight Club funny? Anchorman funny?

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic funny?

Edit:

How do we even know how funny things are? I'm gonna make a list of stuff from most funny to least funny. Stuff separated by a comma but not a new line is equally funny.

Anchorman

FLCL

School of Rock

Scott Pilgrim (the comic)

Psychonauts, Seinfeld

Pirates of the Caribbean, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Grim Fandango, Brutal Legend, Samurai Champloo, Avengers (movie)

Fight Club, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Full Throttle, RASL

I voted grim because the idea looked funny, but I dont really want DFA to be grim. I don't think they have to "try" to make this game funny, I'm pretty sure it being a 2D old school adventure games will create enough opportunities for being humorous.

I don't mind at all as long as it isn't monotone. Humour and seriousness often work most powerfully when they offer relief from each other. The rest of the emotional spectrum needn't be neglected either.

@ Ritchie.Thai

WAIT! Nobody vote! Could you clarify your scale by adding examples for each level?

Psychonauts funny? Pirates of the Caribbean funny? Schindler’s List funny?

That is exactly what i wanted to avoid, I deliberately didn't use any title in poll, because it is impossible for a game to be equally funny to everyone. If I would do that, this thread would change into " this game is funnier than this one" discussion, and that's not the point. Just try to describe what kind of experience you would expect from DFA.

With the exception possibly off DOTT, Tim's games have never been completely all-out wacky. So I'd expect something funny, but I also expect the story to hit lots of other notes. This balance is what drew me to Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango in particular. I think there'll be plenty of funny, but I don't think the funny will be the beating heart of the game, just like it never really was with Grim Fandango, and even Monkey Island to a lesser extent, with were still hugely funny games.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record player, and no hard feelings, but this poll is missing an "Other" (or "Other/Don't Care/Impartial", or something) option. The poll says "DFA should be:" and then gives a bunch of options. What if, for example, my opinion is that it's up to Tim and his team to decide? (That there's no "should be"; not even an 'I would like it to be'.) Am I nagging too much about the 'other' thing? I guess from now on I will just vote and not mention it anymore. ;-)

I would love to see what Tommy DeVito has to say about this poll...

But anyway, a mixture of serious and humorous works best for me.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record player, and no hard feelings, but this poll is missing an "Other" (or "Other/Don't Care/Impartial", or something) option. The poll says "DFA should be:" and then gives a bunch of options. What if, for example, my opinion is that it's up to Tim and his team to decide? (That there's no "should be"; not even an 'I would like it to be'.) Am I nagging too much about the 'other' thing? I guess from now on I will just vote and not mention it anymore. ;-)

I do agree with you. It can be a little annoying to have to vote for something I don't actually agree with in order to see the poll results. The last couple of polls I've seen like that I've simply ignored, despite the fact that I'd have liked to see the results.

+1 for "it's up to Tim and his team to decide".

And no, don't stop. I hope that if you remind about having full range of options enough times people will finally get it.

Why be funny? Couldn't we have a game where everyone's super-serious, testosterone-fuelled, swearing beefcake murder titans instead? Oh wait, that's the entire industry!

Please forgive my sarcastic tone, I just think that the track record of every game bearing Tim Schafer's name speaks for itself!

Silly poll is silly. A game can be funny and grim at the same time. Yes, it can.

I can't vote, because it doesn't work like that. Serious and funny aren't contradictory. It should be as much as possible from both.

I love the nice normal distribution we have in the poll responses.

To me, using the scale I made above, something in the inclusive range from Fight Club to Scott Pilgrim is just right. Anything else is fine too, but I do have a personal preference when I'm looking for stories.

There are the people pointing out grim and hilarious as something that can happen, and while that's true, I think it's also true that grimmer has a correlation to less funny. Black humour is also completely different, because when you're making jokes like that it doesn't feel so serious anymore.

While I'll acknowledge that grim hilarious could exist, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. The best thing I can come up with is "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", but I think the hilarity of the situation does take away from the serious. They've got a serious message, but I wouldn't call the mood of that film all that serious.

That scene about the war room is just the best. "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

I don't think Full Throttle is particularly funny at all, by the way. There are some funny parts of it, but the mood is so serious that I'd even put it at the "bit serious" part of your poll's scale. I'm not responding to anyone here. I'm just saying how I feel about Full Throttle. Serious business.

Edit:

Also, just to back me up a bit more, serious is in the list of antonyms.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/funny?s=t

I can't vote, because it doesn't work like that. Serious and funny aren't contradictory. It should be as much as possible from both.

Yes, please!

I don't think Full Throttle is particularly funny at all, by the way. There are some funny parts of it, but the mood is so serious that I'd even put it at the "bit serious" part of your poll's scale. I'm not responding to anyone here. I'm just saying how I feel about Full Throttle. Serious business.

"That's not one of meat's many uses." (Or the solution to getting the blow-torch, or the Wagner-reference, or… I do consider FT to be a funny game. And serious too, I guess, but that goes more from Grim. Edit: Fandango, I mean. Not "grim" as the poll option.)

While I'll acknowledge that grim hilarious could exist, I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. The best thing I can come up with is "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", but I think the hilarity of the situation does take away from the serious.

How about something like Die Hard?

I want a seriously epic category, where the game is awesomely serious and overwhelming fun and epic, it doesn't need too much humor (though some where it is needed is fine).

Or other then that I want a COMPLETE Heart stopping hilarious game.

By funny you mean deep dark, bile inducing and soul crushing, reflecting Tim Schafer's ominous personality, is that correct?

I loved the humor in Grim Fandango and would like to see something along those lines. I still think that Grim Fandango is Tim's best game to date, so anything resembling that - tonally - would be sweet.

Your poll is missing a "whatever" option, because that's the one I would pick. If there's no reason to have humor, it shouldn't be forced.

I don't really think the options are exclusive. Grim Fandango, IMO, managed to strike a really good balance between the *grim* story and atmosphere while still being funny (it also happens to be one of the best games ever made according to many who have played it and THE best if you ask me).

Serious AND funny please.

I'm reminded of the story behind the theme song for Blazing Saddles, the guy who sang it had no idea it was to be used on a comedy film, all he knew was that it was about a guy named Bart who fought off bad guys to save a town. The song turned out perfectly for the film.

I just can't imagine Tim making an old style adventure game without any humour.

I know it's unfair to attach very specific expectations to a vague kickstarter pitch like DFA, but I have to say...

I really do have my heart set on a comedy-oriented, dialog-driven game, like Tim's previous games. Even the ones at Double Fine were heavy on the snappy dialog, and that's really what Tim does better than almost anyone else.

It's also why I never connected to Full Throttle in the same way I did his other games. It might be a great game, but it's not very funny and good comedies in gaming are so few and far between they really stand out.

A good mix of both would make me happy. Serious enough for the player to connect with the characters and care about their story, and funny enough to keep it from getting too dark and to lighten the mood when needed (we can be pretty certain there will be at least some humor. Tim is a pretty big advocate of humor in games, as you can read in this article).

I think it's kind of pointless trying to figure out how funny a game should be when we know almost nothing about it. For example, DoTT-levels of humor shouldn't be demanded for the game if he ends up deciding on going with something more akin to Grim Fandango. In the end, Tim will probably pick whatever tone and level of humor best fits the premise he's made for the game.

I would like it to be funny, but not so funny as to preclude the exploration of poignant themes or subject matter.

I would like a good balance - but it has to be funny!

If I have any saying on it, I would like it to be the same kind of funny as Grim Fandango at least, but not go down the Simon the Sorceror/Discworld way of slapstick humour.

Sign in to follow this