Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zagadka

Tim Schafer coming to Melbourne (... and Warren Spector and Peter Molyneux)

Hehehe... cool. Where are you from Cheeseness?

I'm flying up from Tassie in the morning :)

I just had a look at tickets... I think it might be only for one day. You know how it says on the main event

Thursday 28 June - Friday 29 June 2012

Full $50 Concession $40 ACMI Member $38

Then when you go to click on Tickets: it will only have;

Thu 28/6/12 8:30AM Buy Tickets

I have the feeling its only for one day and it seems that the second day has sold out sadly. Darn you Tim and your stud-le-ness, I can't be mad at you for that. I'm going to give ACMI a call tomorrow and see what the deal is. You guys that haven't gotten a ticket yet should do the same thing. (Unless you want to go to the first day event) So it looks like I might be just going to the normal event on the Friday if I can't get in. I'll post an update on what the deal is when I call them tomorrow morning guys!

I have the feeling its only for one day and it seems that the second day has sold out sadly. Darn you Tim and your stud-le-ness, I can't be mad at you for that. I'm going to give ACMI a call tomorrow and see what the deal is. You guys that haven't gotten a ticket yet should do the same thing. (Unless you want to go to the first day event) So it looks like I might be just going to the normal event on the Friday if I can't get in. I'll post an update on what the deal is when I call them tomorrow morning guys!

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. It just shows the starting time for the event (without taking into consideration that it's a multi-day event).

Best to double check though.

Yeah, I'd assumed as much, Nads. Pity, but Mr. Schafer is quite the popular bloke.

Do we have any idea how long the talk will go for? I suspect I won't make it into town by the 6:15pm start (hopefully I can get off work early, but I ain't holding my breath) but I'd hope to catch the last half of it at least.

Forecast says chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorm. Boo! :(

The three days preceeding are completely rain-free, of course.

Cheeseness - Yeah, you're most likely right there. It's just stuff like;

Selecting the date and when you click on the Thursday tickets there is no mention that the ticket is valid for two days. Call me paranoid! I know it's going through my mind. I'm just throwing it out there. Still I'm going to give them a buzz before I shell out $40. Still seeing I can't sit in on Tim's session. I might even check out the session with Warren Spector.

Ignoramus, you'd think it would go for at least an hour. It's a shame about the weather. Mother nature never lets us have any fun!

Hell, screw this! Who's up for trying to sneak into the Tim Schafer's session :P. We can put our Adventure Gamer noggins together and come up with some way to crack this problem!!

Hey DFers!

I've got a spare ticket to Tim's 'In conversation with...' if anyone's keen to go.

Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

GP

Hey DFers!

I've got a spare ticket to Tim's 'In conversation with...' if anyone's keen to go.

GP

And it's gone - sorry all!

Quoted the wrong person there, I suspect, Cheeseness. ;)

Nevermind. ;)

I thought about PM-ing him, but I figured it had gone already.

Had to happen just when I went off to have a shower...;)

Hey DFers!

GP

Seriously?! Just when I thought it was safe to go play S&S EP :P

Forecast says chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorm. Boo! :(

Boo for the weather this Friday but it might change again, it's Melbourne! We can hope!

I just had a look at tickets... I think it might be only for one day. You know how it says on the main event

Thursday 28 June - Friday 29 June 2012

Full $50 Concession $40 ACMI Member $38

Then when you go to click on Tickets: it will only have;

Thu 28/6/12 8:30AM Buy Tickets

I have the feeling its only for one day and it seems that the second day has sold out sadly.

I also thought this but seeing as $40 has been debited, I'm assuming both days are in the ticket. Might check tomorrow too. Liking your idea Nads of finding a way to bust into the talk. It'd be like the start of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!

Well, I'm all packed to catch a flight in the morning.

If anybody's at the event and is hunting for me, I look something like this (but with slightly longer hair).

Hope to catch you guys in a couple of days!

Not only am I in Melbourne RIGHT NOW I was actually inside that lightwell today!

Also today: I ate a meat pie.

And I learned all about Batmania.

About a second talk: I'm not running this thing! I'm just along for the crazy ride. I'd do something else but they've got my schedule pretty much filled this visit. Otherwise I'd totally love to meet up with whoever wants to meet up. Lets see what happens!

Hey Tim, glad to hear you made it all the way down, safe and sound!

As for your tight schedule, it's understandable. Though, us backers will be meeting up after your talk/before and after your book signing, so if you do happen to find yourself with a bit of time on your hands, we'd love to be able to get a chance to meet up with you personally. Do let us know if you can!

Hey DFers!

GP

Darn it! Missed it again...

I also thought this but seeing as $40 has been debited, I'm assuming both days are in the ticket. Might check tomorrow too. Liking your idea Nads of finding a way to bust into the talk. It'd be like the start of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Thou I would advise against taking the "Fists" path... :S

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Thou I would advise against taking the "Fists" path... :S

Take the Wits path or Team with me!

I've just called ACMI about the Forum. They say because it's advertised as a two day event, the purchase and the ticket should cover both days. As for printing out the ticket twice, I was told their system should know because we've bought it and shown it for Thursday. He did sound a little uncertain about printing, but assures me it covers both days.

If you want confirmation about Tim's talk on the big screen, it's advertised here and here.

Last night I wrote up a summary of what I got to see yesterday (the Game Masters exhibition doesn't open till this afternoon, so I dropped into an exhibition the ACMI had running that showcased some nominees and finalists of this year's IGF). Later this afternoon/evening, I'll be updating that page with more details about the Game Masters exhibition and hopefully some quotes from Tim! :D

Only 4 hours till the press event. I'm starting to wish I had more gear.

Hey Cheeseness, looks like you're the dude I was chatting to during the presentation / Q&A :)

Here are some pics I took today of some of the Double Fine stuff they had on display (spoiler alert I guess, if you consider this sort of thing a spoiler ;)

ced41c34c00e11e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

7c6069d2c00711e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg

de39d1bec00e11e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

Playable Grim Fandango. Not enough time to today unfortunately.

69a55acac00511e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

741ee200c00511e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Not DF related, but they had Vib Ribbon! Rejoice!

Hey Cheeseness, looks like you're the dude I was chatting to during the presentation / Q&A :)

Ha, it's a small world! :D

At least you can grab a link to my site now rather than trying to read my horrific handwriting (I also think I absolutely failed at telling you about my Humble Bundle stats site. You can find it here and see for yourself if you're interested - it's a little separate from the rest of my site). Are you attending any of the other events? I'm heading back into the exhibition tomorrow to get a feel for what it's like and how it's being received by visitors, and then I'll be attending the Warren Spector and Tim Schafer "in conversation" events as well.

If there's anybody who'll be viewing the Tim Schafer evening from Federation Square (they're showing it live on the big screen), I'd be interested to have a chat and hear what the atmosphere was like).

I just discovered that there was also some kind of public (or AMCI members only?) launch this evening at 6:30pm. I'm a bit sad that I slept through it :(

I'm just about to do a summary of today's exciting things (sans the launch event), but first, here's something exciting that I managed to grab a snap of (it's not the only Brutal Legend statuey thing there):

7453164802_190d6432cf_z.jpg

Oh man! One of my friends was at the press event last night. For the Melbourne Tim Schafer watch you can see him awesomely strolling through a shot. Which you can see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3ArucMQE0&list;) But yeah got a call from him all about it, just making me wish I was there more. But enough about that. I thought I would pop on here to let you know that if anyone is keen to do a meet up still. I'm going to be milling around there from about midday onwards and going to watch Tim on the big screen at 6:15pm. Then after that I'll most likely hang out at the ACMI Lightwell for a few hours. I'll try and pimp it out with my Maniac Mansion t-shirt, so if you spot me during the day feel free to come up and say hey and hang out.

I'll also be there tomorrow, going to the forum from 8:30 till whenever it ends and am lucky enough to be seeing Tim Schafer at 6:15. So will have a couple of hours to waste, I'll probably end up at beer deluxe as usual.

Edit* I'll also be there tonight to see Warren Spector.

I would ask Peter Molyneux what made him decide that the most boring game imaginable(curiosity) was a good idea.

I would ask Peter Molyneux what made him decide that the most boring game imaginable(curiosity) was a good idea.

Shame he bailed... maybe next year.

Hey hey guys. Show some respect.

Peter Molyneux has been making genre-breaking games since before you were born.

I played the hell out of Populous and Syndicate when I was a pup.

Those games were rad, and I still admire Molyneux's desire to shoot for the stars - even if he doesn't always get there.

I got nothing against Peter Molyneux. I personally can't wait to see what the guy brings to us in the future. It's really a shame that he had to pull out cause I would have loved to sit in on his discussion..

I got nothing against Peter Molyneux. I personally can't wait to see what the guy brings to us in the future. It's really a shame that he had to pull out cause I would have loved to sit in on his discussion..

It was a real shame. I think that Peter's presence and perspectives would have added significant value to the discussion of the morning session. In spite of some technical difficulties, we did get some really interesting and worthwhile thoughts from Daniel of Spryfox (about perceiving game design as a process of invention) and Nathan from Capybara Games (with his thoughts on what sits just below the horizon for the gaming industry).

Read your summaries, Cheeseness. Excellent stuff.

Afternoon showers, apparently, tomorrow. Min 10 Max 14.

Not TOO bad.

Read your summaries, Cheeseness. Excellent stuff.

Thanks! I'm glad you've liked it so far :D

It's been a real challenge to keep it small (I tend to waffle on when I get excited, and I have been/am massively excited about this week). I've also been trying to keep details and juicy quotes aside for when I write up a full article sometime after the event. I'm considering doing a transcript of the press conference (though transcribing is a fairly painful task).

My day three summary is now live for everybody to enjoy.

Looking forward to catching up with backers tomorrow before Tim's signing session (I've already bumped into a couple)!

Would LOVE a transcript! ;)

Also would have loved the DFA T-shirts to have arrived for the event!

Also would have loved the DFA T-shirts to have arrived for the event!

I know, right! I was really sad that the timing didn't line up. Tim also said he'd meant to bring along some DFA backer badges, but had forgot :(

Anybody looking for me should keep an eye out for a brown suede jacket, blue jeans, and a blue t-shirt with a dinosaur on it :D

I think we should aim to meet on the bottom floor (where I believe the signing will be) somewhere near the escalators. Looking forward to saying hi :D

Sign in to follow this