Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zagadka

Tim Schafer coming to Melbourne (... and Warren Spector and Peter Molyneux)

I'll try to meet up with you guys before the signing some time. Maybe I'll just come early to the signing. But without the tshirts, how will I spot the backers? Shall I just look for handsome people of exceptionally good taste and character?

I'll try to meet up with you guys before the signing some time. Maybe I'll just come early to the signing. But without the tshirts, how will I spot the backers? Shall I just look for handsome people of exceptionally good taste and character?

You met me very briefly on Tuesday (I asked a question during the press conference thingy and I spoke to you briefly at the exhibition), so hopefully I'll be recognisable :)

If I have time, I'm going to draw a 2HB sign to attract other DF community members. Failing that, I'll wear some bee antennae.

There's a bit of impromptu organisation going on in the forum audience, but I'll be the guy with the ginger beard and the brown velvety jacket. ;)

Sadly I am running abit late.. Got a wee bit too drunk last night at my friends gig. But I should be there around 2pm. (Things just go from bad to worse) My Maniac Mansion T-shirt has gone MIA! So I'll be rocking a Dark blue and yellow River City Ransom shirt, jeans and have poor excuse for facial hair. Now to clear my phone so I can take all the photos! Adventure Time guys, hopefully I'll see you all there soon...

Oooh, backer gathering! Well, me and hubby, both backers, will be around tonight, for both the In Conversations and the signing. Me, dark brown shoulder length hair, grey jeans and a grey Rock of Ages jacket (depending how cold I am) and hubby with dark hair, blue jeans and a striped jumper (black and grey with a thin green stripe). We may have other people with us, depending what some friends of my husband's decide to do (don't think most of them are worried about the book signing).

Btw, great blogging Cheeseness. Nice to hear about the exclusive events, even if I can't get to them myself. :-)

So we got 10 mins til the man goes on stage.. So if anyone

Is braving the cold where you guys at? I'm at the steps right of the screen in a blue and red jacket.. Too cold for a t shirt lol

well that was extremely cool. except for acmi trying to squeeze every last penny out of fans :P

*tries to forget about acmi and focus on how cool it was to meet game master tim and warren and all the backers*

also, i wish i read this thread earlier today :)

Just wanted to say how nice it was to meet everyone today. Y'all sure are a bunch of lovely people!

Also, thanks to Tim for putting aside some time to spend with us backers, and what a pleasure it was to meet him again! Now, I'm pooped... Tomorrow, I'll get to work on going through all the photos and footage I got during the media launch and today's talk, as well as get started on those darn articles.

Night all!

Yeah, I had a blast. It was great meeting the fellow backers and getting a chance the hang with the man himself. Big thanks to Tim for doing that. Can't wait to see the photos as well as reading Captain/Cheeseness' articles. I am going to try and get some sleep, argh another two big days ahead of me.

except for acmi trying to squeeze every last penny out of fans :P

Well, have a think about how much stuff at ComicCon this weekend is. $25 for the event book and an autograph *and* a photo opportunity is pretty darn reasonable compared to what you'd be paying for a photo with Patrick Stewart tomorrow.

also, i wish i read this thread earlier today :)

Tim suggested I ask Greg to tweet about us getting together, but it was very last minute, and I think Greg was probably asleep - with I had've thought of it sooner!

Thanks to everybody who showed up to the backer gathering. It was supremely awesome to meet all of you. Thanks to Captain, udoncat, Nads, kettles and everybody else whose names/handles I can't recall. An extra special big huge thanks to Tim for finding time to chat with us, and a big sorry to anybody who didn't catch on to what was happening (there were a few people who I talked to later who weren't aware we were trying to get everybody together - also, I didn't see pozzz there).

7466815334_986bdb67a0_c.jpg

There are a few more photos here (including some super awesome tentacles that udoncat made and gave to Tim), and I might put some more up later when I get home. If anybody wants copies just let me know :D

cool photos! i wish i could buy posters of the grim fandango concept art in the exhibition. george lucas, are you listening?

Oops Captain and Nads! I didn't see your posts there. It was awesome to meet you guys too :)

Thanks zagadka! I'm glad you were able to catch up with us even if you did miss out on the group photo with Tim (you got something signed, so you still got to have a few words with him, right?).\

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely beat. I've written up about 75% of my summary of today's stuff, but I'm falling asleep as I type, so I'll have to finish it in the morning :(

To compensate, here's something I spotted from Superbrothers HQ (part of the collaboration that resulted in Sword & Sworcery) in response to some discussion an hour or so ago about our meetup: "the Double Fine tribe has a super good vibe"

Isn't that nice? ^_^

Hey Cheese - it was great to (briefly) meet you and by the sounds of your summaries - you got a lot out of the exhibition!

The talk was good fun - Tim's as funny in person as he is in the documentaries.

It's a shame I had to head to another event right after the talk as it looks like you had a run in with the man himself...!

Caught the last half-hour, watching it outside on the big screen and then got the signature. Glad I did, it was very exciting for me (not to mention nerve-wracking!)

I (briefly) spoke to three of those folks in that picture waiting in line. I'm probably right behind that pole, in fact. Too socially inept to introduce myself as a fellow backer, though...;)

Great read, cheeseness. :)

It was great meeting you all at acmi yesterday. Cheeseness, I've finally had time to read your blog in full. I think it summed up the event and everything that occurred very nicely. If anyone wants to add me my steam id is :Señor Citizen

I'd also like to thank Tim for taking time out to speak to everyone at the event. It was an extremely long day and you must have been buggered.

If anyone wants to add me my steam id is :Señor Citizen

Speaking of Steam, maybe everyone should throw there id's out there. I think it'd be fun to get a few games going every now and then between us Melbourne-based backers. Can't say no to more bonding time. This is me!

Hello, it was great meeting everyone yesterday! Super huge thank you to Tim for meeting and speaking with us! Much appreciated and agreeing with kettles that it was a very long day. I hope everyone has managed to get some rest. Aww... it's like some sort of fuzzy dream now and still having that meeting super awesome person buzz :)

This is me on Steam

THANK YOU!!

pozz: So sorry to hear that you couldn't hang around. I feel like I should have tried to get something else signed for you.

Ignoramus: Thanks! Don't worry about being inept - I absolutely failed at getting the word out, so it's not like anybody would have known we weren't just a bunch of friends >_<

kettles: Thanks, glad you liked it. I'm about to write up my summary of today (I spent 4 hours in the exhibition watching all the interviews and getting a feel for the ebb and flow of the exhibition), and I'm going to write a reflective follow up article once I've had time to rest up.

Here's me on Steam.

Edit: If any Aussies are still up and about, the game club is going to be happening in about 2.5 hours. Anybody who's keen should come hang out in the IRC channel (#DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net) with us :D

Another Edit: The last day of my summary of the Game Masters thing is now live! It's even got a sneaky picture of Tim in it. :D

Just a reminder Tim Schafer will be on John Safran's/Father Bob's show on Triple J from 9pm tonight (Sunday, 1/7) Not sure when, exactly, but it'll be put up on the website after, so it may be more convenient to listen to it on there.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/safran/

Oooh, thanks for the reminder (perfect timing)! Although I may just download it later and listen during work tomorrow - will make the return to reality a little less painful. ;-)

Would like to also add my voice to the rest of the backers who said how great it was to meet fellow backers (and Tim of course). My husband and I had a great time chatting to everyone, and it made passing time in the queue really quick! Although after my experience at Comic-Con yesterday and Jetstar today for the flight home, I now consider myself an expert at queuing. ;-) But anyway, perhaps we can convince Tim to come back to Australia someday and do it all again!

In the meantime, hopefully I'll pop into the forums from time to time, but my time seems to get busier and busier these days. You can all probably assuming I'm lurking anyway, even if you don't see me. :-)

Just a reminder Tim Schafer will be on John Safran's/Father Bob's show on Triple J from 9pm tonight (Sunday, 1/7) Not sure when, exactly, but it'll be put up on the website after, so it may be more convenient to listen to it on there.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/safran/

Heard about this completely by accident while out driving - Tim is doing exceptionally well adapting to John and Father Bob's very... unique approach to radio. Hope you enjoy your time in Australia, Tim!

Thanks for the signing :)

Was really glad to get in for the signing as those conversation tickets sold at lightspeed!

Melbourne is still cold! as cold as it was that night. However I have my beanie and my gloves and a singlet + long sleeve + short sleeve + light jumper + heavy jumper.

Guessing from the last time they updated, I think they update on Tuesdays.

Anyway, I pretty much enjoyed the interviews and I wish there were more events like this more often. Gave me a lot of insight into the games industry.

Sign in to follow this