Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ronnie

Tex Murphy is back on Kickstarter!

I think the other adventure kickstarters weren't as clear with their goals - it wasn't a big problem for Tim Schafer and Jane Jensen because i think many people liked the idea of a surprise game (me included) or just wanted to help the old adventure veterans, but it now seems to backfire for the Two Guys from Andromeda.

I don't know that that's true. I think it DID hurt Jane Jensen's campaign, which limped along slowly for a long time and might not have made it if it wasn't such a long term. With Double Fine's it didn't because the idea of a Double Fine adventure game can be whatever your imagination wants and it's just more appealing on that level. It was a rallying cry for all adventure fans.

Although who knows how it would have gone if Double Fine pitched a more specific concept. Who's to say it wouldn't have been even bigger? I don't think Double Fine did "everything right," we're still kind of figuring out what does and doesn't work.

Takedown is one of the more interesting kickstarters because when it launched, it tanked, and they retooled it completely a week before the end and it made it. That's probably the best case study for what does and doesn't work.

I think 15 $ for a finished next installment in the Tex Murphy series is a really bargain and I only can encourage everyone to look into the old games and the new kickstarter.

It really, really is. If I had the money I'd gladly throw in $100.

It was a problem for Jane Jensen, certainly. She got a lot less than many other Kickstarters and it wasn't until Moebius was chosen that things even picked up a little.

Yeah, you are right, haven't thought about the beginning of Jensens campaign. So only Tim could pull it off, but he still was pretty clear in stating that it isn't really clear what they will do and that they will surprise us (whilst filming it).

On topic: Rock, Paper, Shotgun posted a new interview with Chris Jones. Some interesting stuff. I really admire how both Chris and Aaron tried relentlessly to make a new Tex Murphy since 15 years and now finally have found the means to achieve it.

So only Tim could pull it off, but he still was pretty clear in stating that it isn't really clear what they will do and that they will surprise us (whilst filming it).

I think the DFA just had the perfect storm. A lot of it I think was being first. Many people just liked the idea of no publishers, no DRM, Linux support, all that stuff, and pledged to it regardless of their love of adventures or Tim's previous work. The video was another great selling point: no matter how the game turns out, backers still get something worthwhile. (That was what convinced me.) And of course Tim is charismatic, helped create some best sellers and has a studio which is still producing games people enjoy.

Never got to play the originals, but going to with the GoG credit from my pledge. Just doing my part to help the Adventure Game Revolution! ;)

I think the DFA just had the perfect storm. A lot of it I think was being first.

I don't think this is true at all. I have no doubt in my mind that a game will come along that will smash Double Fine Adventure's records. It might not be an adventure game (let's face it, Tim and Ron have more pull in that market than just about anyone else) but someone will do it.

But believe me, if they had come to the table and said "We're making a new Monkey Island" with a stack of concept art and some footage of a prototype, they'd have made twice as much. Most of the big, successful kickstarter games are not new IP. They also had a much lower average donation compared to the newer campaigns, which says that some people were actually fairly tentative about the project, probably because there wasn't much concrete info.

What Double Fine had going for it is that Double Fine has almost unlimited free advertising because Tim is a good interview, a known quantity, and people like clicking on articles with him in them, and so publications like putting those articles out there. There are plenty of other people like that out there, too.

Suppose DFA didn't happen and Tim came out now after a few adventure campaigns with a Monkey Island project, I think he wouldn't have made nearly as much. Hard to prove either way.

But believe me, if they had come to the table and said "We're making a new Monkey Island" with a stack of concept art and some footage of a prototype, they'd have made twice as much.

Neh, it was all about the infinite possibilities, every backer had (has) his/her own ideas about the DFA. Concept art is tricky, even for Monkey Island. MI is a series; 2 and Curse were quite different in many ways and not all 2 fans are necessarily Curse fans, and vice versa (see, for example, this poll).

How many CDs is this going to come on? I want at least 8 to match my Under the Killing Moon set!!

I think that they really have that campaign well planned. Each video makes me want the game more. (But sound could be better on these Aaron videos.)

Truth is that I'm getting worried about the game not being funded :(

I know that there might be some fluctuations, but I find pledges a bit low those last couple days.

What amazes me thou is that the average pledge is 88$. That's a lot, and if we manage to have more backers, we would easily be funded... But still, I'm worried.

^We're in good shape still. Things will get worse inevitably, but every day we get 9k+ significantly increases our odds.

They are making a big deal of the tiers like 5000$ and up when it comes to shipment costs.

^We're in good shape still. Things will get worse inevitably, but every day we get 9k+ significantly increases our odds.
If we can hit $300,000 by next Tuesday, this will be nearly a lock.

I don't think we'll break $600,000, but right now I think we're right on target for what we need to get the game made.

Agree !

It's not looking that bad... Actually, that great article on Adventure Gamers gave me real hope ! It is well written and might convince some new backers to join our club. Cause that's what we need : more backers !

What I noticed is that the counter moves much more at night. I live in Europe, so I guess that main backers are from the States. Still, there should be a big supply of gamers left here... That's what got me worried every time : pretty much nothing happening during the day and thus I get anxious. Then, the evening comes...

Every time I wake up in the morning and when I check the Kickstarter counter, well, there's a bit more money in it. That's magic ;)

GOG just announced a Special Sale: Tex Murphy Week.

All Tex Murphy games will be 50% off until Friday. That means the first two games for $2.99 and the three FMV games (Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer) for $4.99 each. So now is the time to play these gems (especially the FMV games) for the first time and become an instant fan (as I'm sure everybody will become playing these games).

Wow - the Tex Murphy kickstarter just broke $300k - fingers are crossed for this one! :-)

Wow - the Tex Murphy kickstarter just broke $300k - fingers are crossed for this one! :-)
It's going to happen. We're over the hump. Not quite late enough to coast, but I'd be very surprised to see it fail now.

This is THE most exciting upcoming adventure project, DFA included. The other projects are old-school throwbacks, but Tex always took adventure gaming to the next level, and I expect him to do it again.

Hey backer colleagues, just received some disturbing news. Tex Murphy's life now depends on us - literally:

VJ6tTivuJmI

Let's save Tex!

Yeah, I bought in yesterday for $250. Kickstarter is amazing... it's great that all of these old adventure games have come back all at once.

I didn't realize that Double Fine was making a game with Kickstarter, and didn't get to donate until after the deadline. :-( Lucky I caught the Tex Murphy one! I hope they make it...

Well we are really good on the way at least almost 75% done and still 13 days to go.

80%!!!! Awesome! I hope we can get more folks to jump on the bandwagon, it's looking great!

Holy shit. Mad dash for the goal and this thing is on FIRE. We've done like $45,000 today and at this pace we might hit our goal by midnight.

I thought we would have a big surge at some point and comfortably go into 450k..... but i didnt expect this!!!!

442k now.

The secret moneybags plegders really did their trick. I was grinning like an idiot from ear to ear after I saw the new numbers this morning.

Tex has just passed 450k. The detective has been saved and there's still 8 days to go.

Sign in to follow this