Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Kickstarter Backer Country Stats

If you're a Singaporean and reading this, PM me and let's go for kopi and kaya toast. :)

You know.. Spanish is not only speaked in Spain hehe

Anyway if you see the forum stats you can see that Italy and the rest of FIGS are much more representated (and Europe in general) They are only making stats from the 100$+ rewards and most of their customers are below that... So it's just a stat, but not representative.

Oh God... I feel like an idiot racist italian hipster now. Sorry. Sorry Mexico and other spanish-speaking countries.

I knew about the stats, but I thought they were representative. I'm sure translating the game in those languages will help selling the game to those INFEDELS that didn't help kickstarting it. Let's not forget about them. Infedels.

Quite surprised to see that Australia made joint-3rd, how the heck did we manage that?

Quite surprised to see that Australia made joint-3rd, how the heck did we manage that?

Being an English-speaking country with plenty of gamers helps.

No, BAD CHRIS! Don't use a 3D pie chart, those are meaningless! Compare Belgium's and the Netherland's 1%. They should be the same size but due to the 3D they look different.

3D is evil, especially in statistics ;)

Or one of them is 1.4% and one is .6% and they're both rounded to 1% but one is, in fact twice as large.

[quote author="Remmu" date="1337215919"

This would be interesting.

I'm really glad to see Estonia so high on the list, since we really don't have that many people living here, or rather there, since I currently live in Germany.

Estonia represent, my man!

I honestly thought Germany would have more backers, though.

Any news on the vimeo stats or are they the same as the physical rewards stats?

Oh man, spain is 1%? Foh shame! I thought we had a pretty bigfanbase for these games.

I was not able to contribute until you opened it up to paypal so maybe that's why, we've only had amazon here maybe for a year.

Also, I'd like to see real numbers of backers in addition to percentages.

Why?

Well, I'd like to know how many people from my country backed this project (it is less than 1 percent, so I don't have any idea about the real numbers)

You know.. Spanish is not only speaked in Spain hehe

Anyway if you see the forum stats you can see that Italy and the rest of FIGS are much more representated (and Europe in general) They are only making stats from the 100$+ rewards and most of their customers are below that... So it's just a stat, but not representative.

Oh God... I feel like an idiot racist italian hipster now. Sorry. Sorry Mexico and other spanish-speaking countries.

I knew about the stats, but I thought they were representative. I'm sure translating the game in those languages will help selling the game to those INFEDELS that didn't help kickstarting it. Let's not forget about them. Infedels.

Most languages aren't confined to one country (ie. Portuguese). Switzerland has 'F', 'I', and 'G' too as the main official languages, and there's a lot of 'S' speaking people too.

----

Hmm, interesting, thought that Germany played a bigger role.

Most Germans don't have a credit card. So we were unable to kickstart this even if we wanted to.

I think the US requirement is on the other end; the payee. Anyone in the world can give people money on Kickstarter, just like anyone in the world can order stuff from Amazon.com.

...as long as they have a credit card.

Really out of all the people I know only one has a credit card.

The same for Switzerland. Credit cards aren't free, and you have to fill paperwork stating your employment status, your salary, etc. You don't really need one except to buy on-line, and even then, Paypal works without it, so I didn't have one until this year. I never saw an Amazon prepaid card, too - I didn't even know theses where existing until a few months ago.

You're the only backer from Ukraine ;)

I want some reward for that!

Seriously though, I though better of my country.

P. S. I really want some reward for that.

Unfortunately you are not, at least there is one more backer ;)

[EDIT] As I have found out at least there are 3 backers from Ukraine.

Just had to laugh a little when I noticed that Cayman Islands were among the backer countries. The words tax & evasion automatically sprung to mind. :P

The same for Switzerland. Credit cards aren't free, and you have to fill paperwork stating your employment status, your salary, etc. You don't really need one except to buy on-line, and even then, Paypal works without it, so I didn't have one until this year. I never saw an Amazon prepaid card, too - I didn't even know theses where existing until a few months ago.

LOL... It's generally the same the world over. No one gives out credit without knowing that you have a job and can afford to pay that credit back. Except in America. They tell me they give hobos credit cards there ;)

Even though I am in the <1% (acutally I might be in the .01% ) it would have been nice to see Trinidad and Tobago up there

LOL... It's generally the same the world over. No one gives out credit without knowing that you have a job and can afford to pay that credit back. Except in America. They tell me they give hobos credit cards there ;)

Uh, not really. I was denied a credit card when I applied for one from my bank when I was 19 even though I was in college and had a decent job. And this was before the recent economic crap happened.

Can you not get a Debit Card easily?

Debit Card works just like a credit card in how the transaction goes through, but instead of being a loan with a borrowing limit, it takes existing money from your account.

Can you not get a Debit Card easily?

Debit Card works just like a credit card in how the transaction goes through, but instead of being a loan with a borrowing limit, it takes existing money from your account.

Yep, debit card user here (it has always worked with Amazon) ... Credit card is hidden somewhere (just in case).

But the "small" percentage from Germany (compared to their taste for adventures) and the Cayman Islands made me think about this economy ...

I believe it may be in part due to how much English is used in some countries: small countries tend to learn English more, in Scandinavian countries English is more or less the lingua franca ... Spaniards, Italians, French and maybe a bit Germans do have lessers % of English speakers. In part, the rationale for translating (and subtitling) is that many people from these (not so small) countries would not be able to play the game in English unless they have subtitles.

Otherwise I expected more variety: USA is half of it and Europe + Australia is more than 40% ... Maybe the global village is not so global yet. You have to know a bit of English just to follow and understand this fora, Kickstarter ... A good indicator is whether American movies are translated or not in a country: if they are, then you can bet they do not learn much English at school.

in Scandinavian countries English is more or less the lingua franca ... Spaniards, Italians, French and maybe a bit Germans do have lessers % of English speakers. In part, the rationale for translating (and subtitling) is that many people from these (not so small) countries would not be able to play the game in English unless they have subtitles.

Yep.

In Finland everyone studies English in school for quite a few years. Obviously the level at which each individual is in the end varies greatly, but considering how small of a country we are and we as the audience understand English just fine, it would make very little sense to put resources towards official subtitles.

Having said that, depending on whether it's possible or not (considering the openness of this project, it's probably possible?), maybe we as a community can make fan translations when the game is finished.

Yeah, I´m in Mexico but choose to save on the shipping charges and sent my stuff to a friends house in the USA. So either if I go to visit or he comes, I´ll get my stuff with FREE shipping! ;)

So on that chart I´m not represented correctly... LOL

For a more correct measure they should ask amazon/paypal about the countries on the billing addresses of the payment methods. That would be more accurate, the origin of the money and not where the stuff will be send. But I doubt they will give out that info though.

Hahaha... dont worry :) I'm from Spain by the way :)

Yeah, I´m in Mexico but choose to save on the shipping charges and sent my stuff to a friends house in the USA. So either if I go to visit or he comes, I´ll get my stuff with FREE shipping! ;)

So on that chart I´m not represented correctly... LOL

For a more correct measure they should ask amazon/paypal about the countries on the billing addresses of the payment methods. That would be more accurate, the origin of the money and not where the stuff will be send. But I doubt they will give out that info though.

Indeed, we have no direct access to Amazon billing information. Amazon handles all the merchant transactions and we get our personal data voluntarily through the backer survey.

La classe ! Je suis dans les 2% de français !

Ça me rappelle les élections il y a quelques semaines, j'étais également dans les 2% de votants pour le parti écologiste.

I am from the Faroe Islands and with a population of 48k people we are obvioulsy on the <1% list but I count 30 countries with fewer backers, not bad!

It's crazy that Ukraine is on the very last place. Next thing you'll tell me that I'm the only backer from Ukraine.

You are not the only one :)

P.S. At least we can't get any lower :D

La classe ! Je suis dans les 2% de français !

Ça me rappelle les élections il y a quelques semaines, j'étais également dans les 2% de votants pour le parti écologiste.

I love that joke :) Even if you won't get it if you're not french.

Sign in to follow this