Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDrisk

Suggesions for the Game

Here are my ideas for the game love to hear other peoples suggestions...

Collectables:

I always thought collecting things in and adventure game is a cool idea that allows re-playability or a side quest when stuck (Think Animal Crossing)... Maybe have a breakout area in the inventory ( The Collect-a-Ball TM) where you can wander around and see all the creatures / Fish / Paintings / music or whatever you have collected.. Make it like a sticker album in that its clear any not collected to entice you to collect them all. One direction adventure games have gone since is the Professor Layton route... how cool would it be to give a nod and have extra puzzle cards to solve as a collectable.

Side Quests:

Zelda Ocarina of Time did this very well with lots of mini games at the fair or collecting the chickens or golden spider tokens. This is great as when stuck on a puzzle it still gives you things to do when stuck.

Keep the quip fighting:

I as many loved the sword fighting in Monkey Island and it would be great to retain that somewhere in this game even as a side section. One idea would be have a comedy club where you can hear jokes and choose to Heckle if you want in true Muppet Statler and Wardolf fashion..this causes a back and forth from the comedian which if you get wrong the comedian does a great put down.

Secrets:

One thing I have always felt missing from adventure games is the secret discovery of Platform games as you get in Zelda or Mario. Obviously a secret area cant be fundamental to the progress of the quest.. but how cool would it be do solve a puzzle or click on something unexpected..or use an item in an unexpected way and find a hidden area.. Of course there needs to be an indication of how many secrets found and missed to have that Doom game feeling of where are they all.

In Jokes and References:

It would be fun to give a few nods to previous adventure games or games in general. Also the Discworld 2 humor of never forgetting you are in a game worked really well. Actually on a different note I have always thought an adventure game set in a video game world with game character parodies (think Roger Rabbit Toon Town) would be awesome.

Collectables: [...] Secrets: [...]

I agree that collectibles that are in secret locations can be interesting, to add an extra dimension of 'stuff going on'.

Agreed with some variety of all of those. I probably lean away from having something structured just like insult sword fighting (It's been done, after all, and to be honest at times it's felt like one of the few parts that can really drag in MI after replaying it for the ?th time), but some kind of unique dialog based minigame\s and puzzles could definitely be fun. I'm all for things to do other than proceed linearly through the puzzles\plot. Something to do while you soak up the atmosphere. Maybe they can honor the age old tradition of pixel-hunting by reserving it for secrets and hidden collectibles, while ensuring that no puzzle solution actually relies on it.

I don't know about having some kind of counter telling you how many secrets you found, though. I've always felt that in-game scores and so on, in narrative based games, are just an unnecessary reminder that you're playing a game which can pull you out of the immersion a bit. Perhaps stat displays could be there but able to be disabled in the options, or buried in the menu somewhere. I'd rather feel like I'm exploring another world and see as little in the way of interface and stats as possible.

I realize this is a bit of an out-there idea, but I'd like to see a female protagonist with alopecia. This was inspired by the recent "Disney Bald Princess" movement; it would be good to have a positive role model for women who have lost their hair due to medical reasons.

They could just make G.I. Jane the adventure game. The scene where Demi Moore tells Viggo Mortensen to suck her d**k, that's some quip fighting.

I hope Tim will come up with some ideas of a rough, cool paked with humor kind of game, not sweet and freaky..

Full throttle is my favorite. I also liked grim fandango and brutal legend. I like the rough though type of games.

so we've got a girl in a castle, and a boy in a spaceship or something, right?

what about these two not living in different times (which at least may be a way), but the same time with one world being sort of the opposite of the other?

the gal livin' in some aristocratic world built on the ruins of an end-time world pretty much like midworld in dark tower series with some old machines still working etc while the guy lives in a bright version of the future with space-travelling and such.

the persons in both worlds could be essentially the same - just adapted to the world around them. this may save some work and gives room for jokes.

i'm not sure whether things would get to complicated, but wouldn't it be kinda cool, if talking someone into a decision in one dimension would lead to the opposite choice in the other one?

for example: we may not be able to talk the smith into making the superspecial horseshoes we desperately need, because he worries about his kidnapped fiancé - but talking his engineer-version into chasing the marsian aliens who kidnapped his girlfriend let's the smith decide it's better to forget about her and go back to work....and we get what we want

I definitely think puzzles and plots that aren't directly related to the story are something worth looking into. In action games most of the time the good side quests are the ones with interesting little mini-stories attached so it seems weird that story-driven games always tend to avoid them.

Collectables are nice as long as there's some kind of bonus for getting all of them. I'm not the kind of person who will collect things just for the sake of it.

Here are my ideas for the game love to hear other peoples suggestions...

In Jokes and References:

It would be fun to give a few nods to previous adventure games or games in general. Also the Discworld 2 humor of never forgetting you are in a game worked really well. Actually on a different note I have always thought an adventure game set in a video game world with game character parodies (think Roger Rabbit Toon Town) would be awesome.

I reccomend Adventure: The Inside Job

and

Adventure: All in the Game

developed in AGS, they really parody adventure games and adventure game characters and it's all based in a world where they know they're video game characters.

Really well written.

http://www.akril15.com/games/atij/atij.html

I just want it to be approachable. It's not "easy", just approachable. We don't need 20 verbs, for example. Actually, I think we don't need verbs at all, but I know people don't agree with me.

Humor and a slick interface is all I really hope for. Monkey Island 2: Special Edition did a great job of making the interface nice and simple, as I recall.

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition did a great job of making the interface nice and simple, as I recall.

Speaking of which, maybe a (unlockable?) commentary track would be nice.

i'd vote for the "coin-menu" in the mi3 and full throttle way...some room for verb-based puzzles (and preventing players just clicking around till the right thing happens) without thousands of redundant verbs...and in my opinion sweeter than the mi special editions system

a commentary track would be awesome!

Honestly I don't think this adventure game should have collectables because it doesn't seem to me they really fit the genre,you can have replayability just making a good game, so that people will want to play it again (I played the same old school adventure games a lot, because they are so good you just enjoy playing them, without distractions, collectables would be forced to me.

Also being an adventure game I don't know about sidequests, I would prefer to take the time of making a sidequest and putting it in a level/part of the main story.

I don't think the evolution of adventure games will be in conforming with the other types of games, but rather concentrate on the playable world, the characters, the story, the dialogues, the narration.

I think these aspects were what people really liked and still do, I think the evolution of the adventure game genre is concentrating on them even more.

Honestly I don't think this adventure game should have collectables because it doesn't seem to me they really fit the genre,you can have replayability just making a good game, so that people will want to play it again (I played the same old school adventure games a lot, because they are so good you just enjoy playing them, without distractions, collectables would be forced to me.

Also being an adventure game I don't know about sidequests, I would prefer to take the time of making a sidequest and putting it in a level/part of the main story.

I don't think the evolution of adventure games will be in conforming with the other types of games, but rather concentrate on the playable world, the characters, the story, the dialogues, the narration.

I think these aspects were what people really liked and still do, I think the evolution of the adventure game genre is concentrating on them even more.

word.

I don't mind the idea of collectibles, but I definitely think your stats should be able to be hidden, or just not mentioned 'till the end of the game. If I see I'm missing things I'll likely be sidetracked from the actual story to go and complete the collection. Often, I lose my immersion and the game becomes a pesky background thing to my treasure hunt. And I hate that. I want to be immersed in the story and truly enjoy it. Also, if I complete a puzzle and it unexpectedly forces me out of an area, which I can't get back to, I'm sorely tempted to go back to my last save just so I can get the collectibles. It can get really frustrating after it happens a few times. It's even worse if there's a bonus for getting them all, because then I have actual motivation beyond just wanting to complete the collection.

So if collectibles are included, it would be nice if they could keep it from being a focus.

That said, I really appreciated in Monkey Island how you'd often have two or three puzzles going at once. This let you focus on something else and take your mind off the puzzle you were stuck on, without being extraneous or wasting time. Personally, I'd love to have side quests, but for the people that are annoyed by that, multiple plot-relevant puzzles could be employed at the same time to give the same relief.

Due to the really small timeline and relatively small amount of financing from us backers, I just want them to get the game done before either of those parameters runs out.

Though, I wonder if larger investors wouldn't jump at the chance to contribute even if DF gives them no creative input due to the success and clear demand for the game...

Sign in to follow this