Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brettski

What if the game could continue across my devices?

I have been thinking; It has been said that the new adventure game will be created on a few different platforms. What if we could continue the adventure between those platforms.

I am at home playing the game on my PC or console game device. I leave for work and get on the train. While zooming into to big city I continue to play on my iPhone where I had just left off from at home. I am traveling for some reason and only have a laptop with me, without having to copy save files, etc. I can just pick up from where I was before.

As mentioned, there are a lot of options for entertainment these days, so keep this entertainment in front of us in many different formats, seamlessly.

Just a thought, still a bit rough. It would be really cool though

Would be handy. I used to do this manually with ScummVM games on my laptop and android phone. Something that automatically saves the game to some kind of cloud storage would be very handy, but might be difficult to implement.

Just trying to brainstorm on ways to facilitate this kind of thing other than cloud saves. Save game files for adventure games shouldn't have to contain a terribly huge amount of data... What if your save could be displayed on screen as a 2D barcode which your iPhone camera could scan?

There may be some promise for this. Moai has a number of cloud computing tricks; DF are planning to use it to get telemetry and figure out which puzzles folks are stuck on, but perhaps cloud saves would be possible.

The save files may be small but I doubt a barcode would do it; modern game saves are kinda like memory snapshots.

There may be some promise for this. Moai has a number of cloud computing tricks; DF are planning to use it to get telemetry and figure out which puzzles folks are stuck on, but perhaps cloud saves would be possible.

The save files may be small but I doubt a barcode would do it; modern game saves are kinda like memory snapshots.

Well, even if it is 100k to save the info, which seems like a lot, it would be very easily synched over the Internet. The issue I see with the 2D code is leaving the house saying, "Damn for got so scan my save point." Just too cumbersome.

Brett

Cloud saving does make more sense. I'm wondering how costly it is to run or rent a service like that. Steam can facilitate cloud saves but I doubt non-steam copies of the game would be able to store or access them there, so it doesn't really help for sharing saves across platforms.

Cloud saving does make more sense. I'm wondering how costly it is to run or rent a service like that. Steam can facilitate cloud saves but I doubt non-steam copies of the game would be able to store or access them there, so it doesn't really help for sharing saves across platforms.

Well it really all comes down to scale. Spinning up a few instances at Amazon EC2 would surely handle the backer population and allow for easy growth. Though honestly with the small file sizes a simple server farm could keep up with no troubles and good redundancy.

I checked out Maoi's site and it does support cloud stuff. So it may be possible ?

It is absolutely possible. I think it more if it's something they really want to do and if the game play experience/story is the same across platforms.

That's a neat idea, Brettski. So we've considered barcodes, cloud saving.

It would be neat if I could set it up to use my own server instead of which one the game uses if it does this, but that would be a "nice to have" instead of a "must have".

Well, this whole idea is a "nice to have".

I presume other than just being able to continue from a computer to a phone, you also have continuing from one computer to another in mind. Maybe you don't. It sounds kind of obvious, but at the same time I could imagine a menu letting you set up the game to continue on a given computer, phone, Xbox, etc.

Game saves for PC games are really annoying to transfer. I tried to figure out where my (what's that game on the train?) "The Last Express" save file was and I couldn't find anything online so I just gave up on it. I'll have to start over... I managed to find my "The Longest Journey" save though. I hope. I haven't tried loading it yet.

Edit: So while we're at it, if we don't have this ability to go across devices, I still really want a way to transfer my save file. I don't know why PC games often don't support this. It's rather annoying. I think the first Starcraft let you specify where your save file went, and I think King's Quest VI had that too. And Roller Coaster Tycoon. There are a lot of games that don't have that though. Machinarium for example.

On a related side-note, following on from your annoyance with finding save files Ritchie... Despite sounding like a good idea, in practice it's really annoying that there have been various attempts to have a universal folder\location for games to store their user data on windows machines. There are 'my documents' related folders like 'my games', but successive versions of windows have sometimes changed where and what those kinds of folders are, and naturally different developers will have different ideas of what the standard is or should be.... Can't we just take the complication out and have games store saves in their OWN installation\saves folder? Games used to do that. Things were simpler then. I get the "leaving saves after an uninstall" thing but it's not like the game folder can't just be left empty other than saves after an uninstall. The uninstaller could remind the player that the saves are there, and maybe give them an option to remove the whole folder including saves. Anyway, a bit of a diversion, but my vote is definitely for save game files to just be in a saves subdirectory of the root game folder, or even better, your suggestion of the player being able to decide.

Hey, folks. Just wanted to say that cloud saves are very cool indeed. Implementing actual cloud saves for an adventure game is pretty straightforward. As others have commented, Moai Cloud services would make for a good hosting option and adventure game saves are usually very small indeed.

The one catch is that you need some sort of cross-device identifier to link your game across devices. This could be as simple as an email address or as complex as an account on Steam. It's not a hard tech problem, but finding the right kind of identifier, something unique that anyone can use but which people don't think is overly invasive can be a fine line to walk.

We're quite a ways from implementing any such tech, but if folks have opinions on cross platform crowd save solutions that they really like, please speak up!

The one catch is that you need some sort of cross-device identifier to link your game across devices. This could be as simple as an email address or as complex as an account on Steam. It's not a hard tech problem, but finding the right kind of identifier, something unique that anyone can use but which people don't think is overly invasive can be a fine line to walk.

If such a feature is implemented, I would appreciate it being opt-in.

I like email a lot as an identifier. I don't have to remember my account name for each website (even if it is mostly the same). It could be annoying when I change my email address though. If someone has multiple saves it could be annoying creating an email account for each one too, but that itself wouldn't be a hard problem to fix by just allowing multiple saves on one account.

An issue with any system using names is when people stop liking the name they picked. It's less of an issue here if there are no community features where others see your name, but it could still be annoying to see an old account name like "ilovebackstreeyboys42" (I never did that) years later. And you have to think of a unique name too. Even using your real name could fail if it's a common name.

I suppose allowing free name changing is a very valid option in this case. While something with community features could lead to confusion about who someone is, the name is just for convenience here. It would still be limiting if one considers adding community features later on though.

For those reasons I've thought from time to time that a system that just uses assigned numbers or number letter combinations would be nice, but it has all sorts of disadvantages too, like having to type in those numbers.

I suppose DF Forum username works. I wouldn't be particularly against it. The option to log in using an email address would be nice.

It would mean having to keep saves compatible across devices, which I guess could be tricky if there was an update needed for one version that made saves incompatible, but it's nothing too complicated I think. I'd like to see this and could actually see myself taking advantage of it now that I have a nice big phone.

I like email a lot as an identifier. I don't have to remember my account name for each website (even if it is mostly the same). It could be annoying when I change my email address though. If someone has multiple saves it could be annoying creating an email account for each one too, but that itself wouldn't be a hard problem to fix by just allowing multiple saves on one account.

An issue with any system using names is when people stop liking the name they picked. It's less of an issue here if there are no community features where others see your name, but it could still be annoying to see an old account name like "ilovebackstreeyboys42" (I never did that) years later. And you have to think of a unique name too. Even using your real name could fail if it's a common name.

I suppose allowing free name changing is a very valid option in this case. While something with community features could lead to confusion about who someone is, the name is just for convenience here. It would still be limiting if one considers adding community features later on though.

For those reasons I've thought from time to time that a system that just uses assigned numbers or number letter combinations would be nice, but it has all sorts of disadvantages too, like having to type in those numbers.

I suppose DF Forum username works. I wouldn't be particularly against it. The option to log in using an email address would be nice.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this but you can have a system where the username can be changed.

On the cloud side of things the username could be a value but the random combination of letters and numbers could be the "key" value. Logging in with your username and password would match you on their side to that same user record but using the "Key" value as your username could make sure that anybody who loves the backstreet boys today doesn't have to continue to profess their love when it ends... ;-)

Hey, folks. Just wanted to say that cloud saves are very cool indeed. Implementing actual cloud saves for an adventure game is pretty straightforward. As others have commented, Moai Cloud services would make for a good hosting option and adventure game saves are usually very small indeed.

We're quite a ways from implementing any such tech, but if folks have opinions on cross platform crowd save solutions that they really like, please speak up!

Some form of an an online application which your register your device's game to, with your credentials, to sync them up. I don't see setting up an online account for this is that invasive, as long as it isn't mandatory. If you want cross-device saves you need an online account to sync them with. Each installed game will have a serial number or perhaps a GUID to uniquely identify itself. There should be a page to see which devices you have registered to your account and be able to easily remove them if desired.

Part of the settings page in the game can have a "cloud sync" or some other name (I really don't like the word cloud for the Internet, though I think I am becomming the minority on this). It would have to explain were to go to setup the account, unless it can be done through the game initially. Once the users credentials are added the game willl sync itself with that account. Probably a good idea to have an auto-sync option (checkbox). I could imagine people only wanting to sync when they say so, and others wanting it on a regular basis. Hey, this sounds fun, can I program it? :)

Using STEAM Cloud would be enough to support saves across PC and MAC (even Linux in the future...)

Using STEAM Cloud would be enough to support saves across PC and MAC (even Linux in the future...)

Steam would be a great launching platform for the game. I wonder if they plan on distributing from Steam? Though steam will not do much for IoS or consoles. I shouldn't be a huge ordeal to stand up their own servers for this, being cloud based (EC3, etc.) or otherwise.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this but you can have a system where the username can be changed.

On the cloud side of things the username could be a value but the random combination of letters and numbers could be the "key" value. Logging in with your username and password would match you on their side to that same user record but using the "Key" value as your username could make sure that anybody who loves the backstreet boys today doesn't have to continue to profess their love when it ends... ;-)

Uhuh. This is exactly what I had in mind when I said free name changing; thanks for expanding upon it. And it's just one out of a couple possibilities with advantages and disadvantages.

Speaking of you not being the first person to think of it, Facebook allows you to change your username once. I think most people don't even realize they have a Facebook username, but they do. Newgrounds used to allow changes to username, and people would do stuff like add the word Christmas to their name during the Christmas season.

Steam would be a great launching platform for the game. I wonder if they plan on distributing from Steam? Though steam will not do much for IoS or consoles. I shouldn't be a huge ordeal to stand up their own servers for this, being cloud based (EC3, etc.) or otherwise.

We do plan on distributing through Steam--backers will actually be able to download their game via Steam if they choose (although there are of course the DRM-free downloads as well).

I understand why some people really enjoy cloud saves, but personally I despite it:

- Sometimes the service isn't accessible

- Sometimes the service gets hacked

- Sometimes newer saves are overwritten with old saves

- Sometimes it's not possible to delete saves

- Sometimes PC-specific configuration files are copied in the cloud

- Sometimes you have to pay an extra fee

- Sometimes it introduces additional bugs in the game

- Sometimes it's not even possible to have a local backup copy

- Sometimes it is even mandatory to use the cloud even for offline stuff

- Sometimes the service shuts down

Too much trouble, bleh. Manual copying is the way to go for me! And for those having trouble figuring out where the save files are located on your PC, let me introduce you to Process Monitor!

I understand why some people really enjoy cloud saves, but personally I despite it:

Too much trouble, bleh. Manual copying is the way to go for me! And for those having trouble figuring out where the save files are located on your PC, let me introduce you to Process Monitor!

Hence why an optional feature for those who would like to use it. The whole idea behind this thread was syncing your between different platforms you may play on. The internet was just suggest as a medium to do so.

It's a good list of potential pitfalls to look for, though none of them is an argument against such a service. Sounds to me like if you'll have a good implementation you'll appreciate it.

I think that cloud saves are a good feature, and would love to see them. I agree that registering to get an ID for that is okay. A system which allows registering using a Facebook, Twitter, Steam account (etc.) in addition to manually registering will make it easier for those who don't mind using such systems.

I would love it.

And I think by the time the game is ready, many people will even just expect it.

This is one of those things that become common before you even notice. Like GPS in cell phones.

(and like point-and-click adventures where you control your protagonist as if it were a tank while the 3D sceneries with clickable objects move around you like whirlwinds, by the way)

If we do end up implementing some kind of cloud-based save feature, rest assured we aren't going to be forcing you into extra fees or keeping you from saving files locally or anything like that. I can't imagine we'd make it a mandatory service either.

I only intend to play DFA on my PC, but cloud saves would be very nice for those that will be getting it for smartphones as well as computers.

Even though I only plan on playing on one platform, cloud saves would still benefit me as a sort of safety net in the unlikely-but-possible event that my hard drive died or became corrupted while playing through the game.

Even with just one platform, I'd love to be able to sometimes play on my desktop and sometimes on my laptop.

Even with just one platform, I'd love to be able to sometimes play on my desktop and sometimes on my laptop.

Yes, I very much agree with that. Thank you for the comment.

I feel like this would easily be implemented using Apple's iCloud (for syncing between Apple devices, of course). Dropbox could work too (assuming it was all done automagically, not manually).

Sign in to follow this