Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ET3D

Help me pick a game

A nice fellow at GOG made a giveaway, and I won my choice of a $5.99 game. I'm not sure what to choose, so I'm looking for opinions. Here are some games which look appealing to me:

- One of the Gabriel Knight games other than GK2, which I have on CD's. In terms of aesthetics I don't like either that much, but I like the low res of GK1 better than the 3D of GK3.

- Little Big Adventure 2

- Dark Fall 2

- Torin's Passage

What do you think? Other suggestions are welcome.

I'm a pretty big Little Big Adventure fan, I'd go that route. Although it depends on your stomach for unlistenably bad voice acting (in all available languages).

If you haven't played the first Gabriel Knight then you don't really have a dilemma here ;)

A nice fellow at GOG made a giveaway, and I won my choice of a $5.99 game. [...] What do you think?

For $5.99, maybe the Gobliiins pack.

It includes (the first) three games: screenshots here, here and here.

These games have simplistic graphics, but are entertaining and funny.

Or The Last Express, from the creator of Prince of Persia 1.

If you don't mind its unique graphics style and some arcade sequences, it has a good story.

Whatever you pick, make sure to give Beneath a Steel Sky a try, it's going for $0.00.

Also downloadable from here, where you can also download Flight of the Amazon Queen.

Back in the days, I enjoyed playing both these games, especially Beneath a Steel Sky.

Thanks for the suggestions, Norbert.

Perhaps it's worth adding that I'm a very casual player (due to having little kids and therefore little time), so a game that's easy to get into and not punishing has a much higher chance of me playing it.

If you like games like Heavy Rain, you probably will be interested in Fahrenheit. Be warned though, this is the uncensored version, so you may want to play it only when the kids aren't looking.

Thanks. I already have Indigo Prophecy on Steam. I think my shortlist is GK1 or LBA2.

Well, since you've narrowed it down as much I suggest you read a couple of reviews to see which one of the two is more 'your kind of thing', and then get Gabriel Knight.

The Steam version of Indigo Prophecy is the censored version though, and some scenes have even been cut from it. If you want the full experience, I highly suggest you pick the GOG.com version too.

Heh, took me a bit to find this thread again. Looks like it's been dragged during the night kicking and screaming into an out of the way alley.

I'm more intrigued by LBA2, because it's different, and far as I've read still tells a very good story. GK1 is a very attractive proposition (except for the 320x200 graphics, which I really find hard to stomach these days), and I'll probably buy it at some point. I'm still not decided. I'll read some more.

Heh, took me a bit to find this thread again. Looks like it's been dragged during the night kicking and screaming into an out of the way alley.

I'm more intrigued by LBA2, because it's different, and far as I've read still tells a very good story. GK1 is a very attractive proposition (except for the 320x200 graphics, which I really find hard to stomach these days), and I'll probably buy it at some point. I'm still not decided. I'll read some more.

LBA 2 is worth getting into if you can put up with the nasty 3D models, the horrid (in places) controls, terrible voice acting and the fact that the game really isn't helpful in guiding you in the right direction (and it takes a while to get going). I'd never play it now, but even so, I'm immensely pleased that I did.

One thought which crossed my mind is that if Jane Jensen's Mystery Game X is a GK1 remake then I'll be sorry I got the old version. Pity she hasn't released any more info about that game.

I'll try to get a demo of LBA2 running to see if I like it. I hope it's not too much of a challenge to get that running.

If you like games like Heavy Rain, you probably will be interested in Fahrenheit. Be warned though, this is the uncensored version, so you may want to play it only when the kids aren't looking.

Personally I'm not sure why anyone would even have a passing interest in that game. Awful.

Personally I'm not sure why anyone would even have a passing interest in that game. Awful.

Probably because I'm a sick twisted human being with no soul. That or I just prefer games designed for adults.

I ended up choosing GK1. Thanks for your comments everyone.

Mainly because a lot of people seem to like it. I've read some reviews on that page and it looks like people enjoyed playing it. That's the reason I bought it, though I haven't played it yet.

Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy, depending where you are) was a really good game. There really wasn't anything like it when it came out and the story starts really great and sucks the player in. Second half kind of sucked though, but I wouldn't call the game awful.

Sign in to follow this