Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

Works fine in Chrome here in both HD and SD. Streaming doesn't take long to start, which is good. I noticed a few things though.

It uses HTML5 for the video playback. The interface used is decent so it doesn't look like the built-in video player, but it still doesn't feel as efficient as hardware-accelerated Flash video playback. I think Chrome does have hardware acceleration for HTML5 video now, so it should work fine, but I don't know how that fares with other browsers.

Because it uses HTML5, I can simply right click on the video and choose Save As... to save it. Granted, Vimeo doesn't use the encrypted video option in its player (as far as I know) so the stream can still be saved, but you need to take an extra step to do that.

The video quality is... acceptable. The HD video was encoded with x264 at 1400kbps ABR. This makes details very soft and many artifacts appear in areas like dark scenes and between bright and dark areas. Using 2-pass ABR would have made the video look better, and a higher bitrate (up to 3000, to keep it within streaming capabilities) would have also helped. In comparison, the DFA updates from Vimeo have all been very sharp and look amazing, likely due to better encoder settings.

If the encoding was done by the content producer, then my gripes about the video quality are moot. But if the encoding was done by Redux, I wouldn't choose them because 1400kbps isn't great for live action in HD (and single pass ABR isn't really great for anything).

Seems to be working in Ubuntu AMD64 in Firefox 12. Which is a small miracle since nothing seems to work for me (terrible flash for AMD64 Linux). I've always had to use some interesting workarounds. I'd vote for the changeover.

Well, this video player doesn't use Flash. It's pure HTML5.

Ah. Didn't pay that much attention. I just saw the video working, considered that fact awesome and moved on. -1 Propeller Hats for me.

FANTASTIC! Html5 even though I have flash installed (I hate when players force me to use the flash version even when they offer an html5 one). AND! Fullscreen actually works in my tiling window manager (Unlike flash's fullscreen). Cant speak for buffering as I am not on a slow connection. Vimeo does NOT let you seek to a portion of the video which has not loaded, this does. Love it :)

Playback is working perfect, but I really hate a couple of things:

- Really small (narrow) position slider. Even on fullscreen.

- No buffering indicator.

- No timer.

I hope the player has options for you to tweak those details.

Pro's:

- Streams from an IP in Frankfurt, which is one of the closest (and largest) internet exchanges around here (9 hops, ~30ms latency)

- Excellent 0.5x and 2.0x speed settings (not sure if I want to be able to see Tim in slo-mo, but still excellent option) :)

- Skipping in time works smoothly

- Changing quality works smoothly

Con's:

- No fullscreen?

Oddness:

- Pause button had an extra vertical stripe right of de pause putton itself

- Was this film dubbed? If not, terrible lipsync :) If so, how's the lipsync?

(watched in IE9 with 60mbit cable internet)

- No timer.

Buffering is as far as I know a feature of your browser with html5 video.

Tried it in Firefox 12.0, under Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Works fine for me, both with HD on and off.

Same here for SD, and a tiny bit of stuttering on fullscreen HD, but I attribute this to nouveau (libre driver for nvidia cards).

It streams the .ogv file.

Yay for HTML5 & Theora !

lover>

- No timer.

I'm using youtube with html5 enabled (https://www.youtube.com/html5). And it shows the buffering just as it does when using flash. So the capability is there.

- No timer.

I'm using youtube with html5 enable (https://www.youtube.com/html5). And it shows the buffering just as it does when using flash. So the capability is there.

Ah, alrighty, my bad.

Didn't have time to watch it very long right now, but it seems to work great for me on both SD and HD. Using Chrome on Win7.

Seems to work well enough with Opera/Windows 7.

Edit: But there is no full-screen button. So consider that a bug report. In the choise between flash and no full-screen I'm going to choose no flash though.

Works fine in Chrome here in both HD and SD. Streaming doesn't take long to start, which is good. I noticed a few things though.

It uses HTML5 for the video playback. The interface used is decent so it doesn't look like the built-in video player, but it still doesn't feel as efficient as hardware-accelerated Flash video playback. I think Chrome does have hardware acceleration for HTML5 video now, so it should work fine, but I don't know how that fares with other browsers.

Because it uses HTML5, I can simply right click on the video and choose Save As... to save it. Granted, Vimeo doesn't use the encrypted video option in its player (as far as I know) so the stream can still be saved, but you need to take an extra step to do that.

The video quality is... acceptable. The HD video was encoded with x264 at 1400kbps ABR. This makes details very soft and many artifacts appear in areas like dark scenes and between bright and dark areas. Using 2-pass ABR would have made the video look better, and a higher bitrate (up to 3000, to keep it within streaming capabilities) would have also helped. In comparison, the DFA updates from Vimeo have all been very sharp and look amazing, likely due to better encoder settings.

If the encoding was done by the content producer, then my gripes about the video quality are moot. But if the encoding was done by Redux, I wouldn't choose them because 1400kbps isn't great for live action in HD (and single pass ABR isn't really great for anything).

+1

Works for me, although I see jagged lines during high motion scenes....

No buffering issues though, but I have a swift network here.

I seriously dislike vimeo so obviously encourage a switch-over.

Finally, having to make an(other) account to get something done online is for me a big hurdle.

So any service that can get the job done without requiring another account would have my preference...

Works fine with my Firefox and Windows 7.

Smiles

[del]Redux is very jerky on my machine (Firefox/Win7) - don't know if it is lack of buffering, or poor player. (Buffered Vimeo is very smooth, unbuffered Vimeo is similarily jerky.)[/del] Redux just took longer to buffer than Vimeo it seems. It's playing fine now.

The quality is very poor in HD in comparison to DFA's on Vimeo. As blahmoomoo suggested, compession must be improved.

Does not work on my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 with stock browser and dolphin tab. Sad panda :(

Looks fine to me. Thanks for giving us free access to watching Kooky!

worked fine for me tried hd and sd both seemed good and fast

Works great on Chrome and Android devices. Both HD and SD, although to be fair Vimeo was great as well. THANKS a lot for Kooky, guys. You're the best!

Seems to work flawlessly in Firefox 13 on Ubuntu 12.04, except that it exits fullscreen when I adjust the volume. That's an issue with other things running in fullscreen as well, though, so that error must be on some other part.

Steam works fine here (Opera 11.63) though for some odd reason no Full Screen button is displayed??

Works great on Linux/PPC, which was not the case with the Vimeo stuff (since it requires Flash). Definitely an improvement.

Works great! I saw some pixelation here and there in the video, but that's probably more the compression then the player. Thumbs up from me.

Works for me on Chrome, Android 4.x and iPad 3, so I guess I'm not really bothered since all the devices I want to play it can.

Everything works fine on my system [WinXP, Firefox 12, Radeon HD4830, 8 MB ADSL etc...]. Really an interesting movie, thanks =)

I can´t go to full screen on Opera 11.64. Anyone else having this problem?

Sign in to follow this