Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

This is great! Vimeo doesn't work so well under Australia's prehistoric internet (the buffering, THE BUFFERING!!!), but the Redux player worked flawlessly. It's got my vote.

Don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but every 10 or so seconds the play bar thing pops up. I thought it was because my mouse was at a high dpi, so I put it to a lower setting and yet the thing still popped up. Next I tried putting the mouse on the side (for reasons that I'm not sure why) and it still popped up. The last thing I did was put my thumb over the sensor and that didn't work. I'm sure if I was to unplug my mouse it would fix the problem, but who wants to do that with every video one watches. The mouse is a Logitec G9x. I was running in Chrome. This is too bad because I got so annoyed that I couldn't watch more then 7mins of the film (which I was kinda getting into). This is while in full screen BTW.

It worked flawlessly on my end. Not too worried about compression (Which I didn't notice), considering the HD download and Blu-ray I'll receive.

Juddering issues on my old college laptop even in SD. Vimeo HD works fine though!

Not working through explorer. And, it takes forever to load with safary on my modest computer, which means is not loading. I live in a side of the world where you can buy awesome computers, simply I spend the minimum.

Bad idea for low budget computers.

It is working fine for me in Ubuntu 64bit with Chrome.

One thing I found strange is your intended move based on subtitles when this is available: http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/

Why not just use that instead? Gives you the option of getting backers to help do translations for you as well.

Works just fine for me. HD and SD work with no stuttering, and both let me seek to any point in the video and let me switch between HD and SD at any time with no fuss. The video buffered for no more than a few seconds for both HD and SD.
Same here in Firefox 12.0 on Vista 64.

Fullscreen works fine with no problems, HD and SD load quickly, able to track to any point in the video while running or paused.

I was going to say I missed not being able to see how much of the video had loaded (not that it mattered that much), but you can right-click and select "Show Controls" for that. (The Right-Click option for "Save Video As" struck me as surprising.)

Now that YouTube has the thumbnail preview for tracking ahead, I miss that in other players, but it's not really a complaint against Redux.

I didn't see an option to turn on subtitles, so I guess Kooky doesn't have them? Might be nice to test how the subtitles work if that's one of the criteria.

worked fine for me on Win7/Chrome and iPhone4/Safari. No stuttering, but some degradation during fast moving scenes (which is to be expected).

I'm going to be in the minority and vote against Redux. It works in my PC browser, but with Vimeo I was able to watch the documentary on my Samsung Smart TV as well. Given the crappiness of my laptop and the decentness of my TV, I much prefer to watch the documentary on my TV.

This all assumes that the DA documentary stream will be exactly like the Kooky one. If it would actually be in a different format or something that lets me watch it on my TV (I don't know how much flexibility there is with Redux), I'd be fine with it.

When I fullscreen it on one monitor

I can't click things on my second monitor as it will exit the fullscreen on the first one.

windows7/firefox

This isn't bad, but I do prefer the Vimeo option. I found Vimeo to be more reliable, and I can see how much it has buffered in the scrubber.

This is great! Vimeo doesn't work so well under Australia's prehistoric internet (the buffering, THE BUFFERING!!!), but the Redux player worked flawlessly. It's got my vote.

Seconded, also in Australia and this site works really well for me. Win7x64, Firefox.

I'm at work so I can't attest to the sound quality, but as for the picture and buffer speed, both were great.

No stutter or buffering in SD or HD, and skipping ahead/back in the timeline of the movie was very quick.

Still not working on my phone. (Was at work before. Am at home now.)

It played flawlessly in HD on my macbook pro (hooked up to my HDTV through HDMI). I live in the states in Tennessee. I paused it at several points and came back to it, had no issues restarting. Very minor pixels in shallow focussed backgrounds, but again this was on my TV, not my monitor. Sound was fine other than it was very low and the voices were much softer than the music, but that could be a mixing issue with the movie. Thank you for the movie, I have been wanting to see Kooky for a while.

I get a ton of buffering in Chrome on a fiber connection in both SD and HD.

For me it looks good and very small delay buffering even on HD, they seem to have good service for data transfers. Skip ahead is nice unlike Vimeo that had trouble with this. Because it's HTML5 note that it uses 3 formats: mp4, oggv and webm (chooses the format based on browser capabilities), it shouldn't matter much but I think there was some difference in audio between Firefox and IE. It may be just a config of my machine, but you should check out the audio on different browsers to make sure. The video probably also has differences, but I didn't notice any.

I couldn't find any Kooky browser cookies, which is very nice of them! However, that means they can't store whether I prefer HD or not, and the default is SD. You may want to see if there is an option to choose HD by default in the link itself (something like hd=true). If you give out the same key, it's possible there will be a limit in statistics, and of course if you use it, it seems the key would be the only way to limit access, rather than the referencing site which is used today for Vimeo.

I tested both Firefox and IE9, overall works well. There is no option for full screen in IE9 but there is in FF which is odd but probably a limitation of IE9 or a problem they encountered with it.

Bottom line however is that the service itself is good, just a few decisions you'll have to make.

Works fine in HD with a tiny bit of buffering

Both HD and SD work great in Spain on OSX 10.7.3 and Firefox or Chrome. I didn't see any interface option for subtitles though.

I really like this player, quality is great and works on my older computer, 32 bit windows 7 q6600 4gb ram asus 8800gtx 768mb video ram, chrome browser

Much better than vimeo on my asus transformer (tegra 2), with vimeo, I had many problems, with this one, flawless! Tried on stock browser and chrome, both great.

works fine for me in both sd and hd with little buffering. I use firefox 12

Works great for me! I also use Redux on my Google TV. If there was a way to add the episodes to my Redux account so I can watch them easily on my TV, that would be incredibly awesome.

I don't mind if you guys start using redux, but PLEASE don't dump vimeo. There's no reason the episodes can't be on both.

Also works fine for me in both HD/SD with firefox 12. No buffering at all (although my connection is quite fast).

Anybody else watched Kooky in its entirety? Nice little film. Though the dubbing put me off at first as soon as the action moved away from ‘people’ it wasn’t a bother.

Regarding the test, I had some stuttering issues at first, figured it was on my end and restarted. Worked great for the whole movie and in HD after that, I was using Chrome if that matters, didn’t have any buffering except for a few second at the beginning.

This isn't bad, but I do prefer the Vimeo option. I found Vimeo to be more reliable, and I can see how much it has buffered in the scrubber.
In Redux, you can right-click and select "Show Controls" to see how much has buffered. (I'm not sure what a "scrubber" is, so I don't know if I actually answered your concern or not.)

Sign in to follow this