Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

Tried it in Firefox on Windows 7 64 bit. No problems loading or viewing in SD or HD and no noticeable artifacts.

I like this much better than the Vimeo solution because Redux works on my iPhone and the embedded Vimeo videos do not. My only concern would be security of the videos... What's to stop someone from just sharing the private key on a blog or something? Does redux have URL embedding restrictions?

Slick player!

I've only tried it in Chrome (Win-x64)

Anyways. If there was something I would like to critique is the short time slider. Especially in full screen. Add high resolution monitors to that and skipping to a specific time number is really a pain.

Adding a timer to the video as well would be great for us that need to refer to a specific point in a video.

That about it. :)

cheers

Chrome on a dual-core Mac worked fine with a few small video pauses that resynced with audio (1 sec or so). HD looked decent, but not the same quality as the backer videos. As you said, it would be better to compare episodes side-by-side.

Worked perfectly for me here in Denmark, not even any buffering time in HD :)

Redux ran the smoothest in SD and when not fullscreen.

Never had any problems with Vimeo and it runs smoothly SD in fullscreen. HD has some screen tearing but it's fine.

All this on the latest non-beta Chrome browser and Win XP 32bit.

I'm also a bit low on RAM so that could be something else too.

At this point I still prefer Vimeo.

It worked terribly for me. The video was stuttering most of the time (in HD) and when I tried to exit full screen mode it didn't remove the video overlay, crashed my Finder, and thus in the end forced me to power off my Mac. Such a crash is seldom on a Mac - I think I have had one or two in the past three years. But the error could be on Firefox's side of things, so I'll experiment with Safari later on today!

It seems to be working perfectly when using Safari instead of Firefox om my Mac.

Streams incredibly quickly and looks great. Only confusion for me is how to swap between HD and SD. Any tips on that?

Streams incredibly quickly and looks great. Only confusion for me is how to swap between HD and SD. Any tips on that?

In the bottom right corner of the player you have to click on "HD off". I know, it doesn't make sense to click "HD off" to turn HD on :-) But I think that is how it works.

In the bottom right corner of the player you have to click on "HD off". I know, it doesn't make sense to click "HD off" to turn HD on :-) But I think that is how it works.

Yeah, the UI could use a tiny bit of work because that confused me too. Other than that the service is really good. The quality is solid, the streaming is quick on both HD and SD, it seems pretty stable, and the video quality is not bad at all.

This video played well for me in Firefox 12 on a Vista 64bit desktop machine. I played it in full screen mode with controls displayed; but, I did not complete the film. I downloaded the version offered, which was .ogv video that played fine in VLC and SMPlayer.

Unfortunately, this particular video used dubbing instead of subtitles. So, it was useless in determining subtitle quality. I find that interesting since the original post pointed out that Redux is subtitle capable. My glance at the Redux site didn't yield any subtitle examples, though they may be available.

In terms of deployment options, Redux seems to be a solid option because of its ability to serve phones, set-top boxes, consoles and desktops. That kind of agility makes for great broadcasting options. Still, in terms of security, I don't know what the developer or content provider options are that might restrict download and/or play. For this project, the ease with which I was able to download the video, with a simple right click, may thwart the exclusive nature of the forums.

Again, I am impressed with the savvy tools options the DFA team is exploring. Well done.

Took a bit to get going for me on Chrome, Windows 7 64bit... and after i entered the key for the full film, I had no options between SD and HD. No option for it in the bottom right of the player like others have mentioned .Other than that looks and works fine.

Works great HD and SD in Safari. Full screen is smooth. There's no lag when switching or when going to a different point in the film. Seems much better than Vimeo for me. Shame we couldn't test it with subtitles though. I had already downloaded and watched the dubbed version of Kooky through the Humble Bundle, I was hoping for the chance to see it subbed.

I can´t go to full screen on Opera 11.64. Anyone else having this problem?

Confirmed. At least there is no full-screen button. I don't know if there is supposed to be one.

Confirmed. At least there is no full-screen button. I don't know if there is supposed to be one.

Double click on the video, it should make it full screen.

While I don't have Opera I'm guessing this is because it's not a flash player and it's restricted to the window in which it resides. Chrome switches automatically to a UI-less fullscreen mode when you press the Expand button on the player, and I guess Opera does not. Try pressing expand, then F11. I'd be interested to know if that solves it.

Regarding the service itself, I thought the quality of the stream was pretty bad. Dark scenes looked the worst, but even brighter scenes suffered from motion artifacts and banding. I also noticed there's no option for 1080p, which would be preferable, but a higher bitrate to provide reliable quality at the current offered resolutions is more important. Since the site is basically just wrapping an .mp4 file, I have hope you can use your own (better) encoding settings. You've got great equipment, and I think it would be a shame if sub-par compression prevented us from reaping the benefits of that.

Then again, I'm unusually picky regarding video -- especially given how others seem to react in this thread -- and there's always the bluray coming.

While I don't have Opera I'm guessing this is because it's not a flash player and it's restricted to the window in which it resides. Chrome switches automatically to a UI-less fullscreen mode when you press the Expand button on the player, and I guess Opera does not. Try pressing expand, then F11. I'd be interested to know if that solves it.

The thing is there is no "expand button". Full screen video with HTML5 in itself is not a problem in Opera, it works on Youtube.

Works fine for me as well, very short buffering time and then flawless for the whole 20 minutes I checked it: no stuttering, no skipping sound or stuff like that.

Looks like an improvement, especially if it allows for subtitles. I'd go for it.

I tried again today to see if it worked any better, and I had no buffering issues in SD or HD. My issues yesterday may have resulted from the site getting hammered by tons of people at once.

It works fine with no buffering (a constant problem with Vimeo), but the picture quality is lower than I expected in HD.

Worked fine for me, buffered really fast (Chrome on Vista)...

As an aside, thanks for letting us watch Kooky. I was pretty choked when I missed the humble botanicula bundle, so it was nice to get to check it out here. That movie's charming as hell.

I had some initial buffering issues even on SD but was able to switch to HD and watch the whole movie.

Chrome, Win-7 64bit.

*edit: forgot to mention... in full screen the play/pause/button bar did not auto-hide.

Tried it on Opera 11.64, IE9, Chrome and Firefox 12. The fullscreen button does not appear in Opera and IE, which is kind of annoying as Opera is my main browser.

Sign in to follow this