Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

Works fine, can't see any noticeable differences to Vimeo really .. it works just fine, no better or worse than pretty much any other site on the planet.. I say pick which ever site works best for your needs.

Works fine on my iPhone 4S in SD and HD. You can't select the stream quality while it's playing, though that's not a big deal. There was no buffering over wifi, but I haven't tried using the cell network. I imagine there'd be buffering and dropouts in that case.

The video plays, but stuttery, on my computer. I still get nothing on my phone. I guess I'm in the tiny minority that would prefer vimeo which works flawlessly on both my phone and computer.

Strange that it's not working on some people's iPhones since it's such a closed platform. Are you using wifi or cell? Which carrier version do you have? I have the Verizon version (no sim card, CDMA, I think?) in the US. Is your phone jailbroken?

To those getting a bad key, make sure there's no space at the beginning of the key or it won't work.

There is a fullscreen button

Quite. That button does not appear if you run Opera though.

Streams incredibly quickly and looks great. Only confusion for me is how to swap between HD and SD. Any tips on that?

There is a button with the word "HD Off" in the corner, just hit that and it will change to "HD on" and begin streaming in HD.

Works great on Chrome 19.0 (Windows XP). Transition from SD to HD took a few seconds but it synced up very nicely.

Doesn't surprise me. I quit using Opera because it was too flakey with too many sites.

Works fine, compression feels a little worse than Vimeo.

One can download the movie, just by right-clicking. That might be a problem

Working great on the latest version of Opera on Windows 7.

You can switch full screen with opera/win 7?

MacBookPro2,2 (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB)

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Google Chrome v19.0.1084.46

50MBit Direct Fiber Connection

---

Everything runs perfectly smooth. Instant mm:ss skipping, no buffering problems at all.

What puzzles me, is that my fans don't go crazy when watching in HD. Even after 15 minutes the fan-noise/speed just got slightly louder.

When I'm on youtube, vimeo, gametrailers, etc... my MBP sounds like an Apache helicopter taking off in my living room. 20 seconds after starting the video.

Doesn't surprise me. I quit using Opera because it was too flakey with too many sites.

It can be that. It's usually something along the line of

[pre]

switch(browserid) {

case "mozilla":

case "webkit":

case "ie":

return "Something sane"; break;

default:

return "Dunno what to do";

}

[/pre]

Actually, Opera doesn't support full screen video (yet). The original HTML5 draft didn't have full screen video as a feature (oddly), so they had to add it to the spec somewhat recently. Chrome didn't support full screen HTML5 video for a long time (only supported stretching to full window size, at best), and was only properly implemented in stable (was initially wonky in beta) a few versions ago. I suspect Firefox also got support for it around the same time.

I guess Opera hasn't caught up yet?

Works fine for me on iPad 3 gen, HD, SD no buffering. Looks great!

Actually, Opera doesn't support full screen video (yet). The original HTML5 draft didn't have full screen video as a feature (oddly), so they had to add it to the spec somewhat recently. Chrome didn't support full screen HTML5 video for a long time (only supported stretching to full window size, at best), and was only properly implemented in stable (was initially wonky in beta) a few versions ago. I suspect Firefox also got support for it around the same time.

I guess Opera hasn't caught up yet?

You seem to be correct. The new fullscreen API isn't up for inclusion until v12. (http://www.caniuse.com/fullscreen)

The way Youtube is doing it is to set the display area to the size of the browser window, and then you can press F11 if you want to remove the borders.

What puzzles me, is that my fans don't go crazy when watching in HD. Even after 15 minutes the fan-noise/speed just got slightly louder.

When I'm on youtube, vimeo, gametrailers, etc... my MBP sounds like an Apache helicopter taking off in my living room. 20 seconds after starting the video.

This site embeds the video using HTML5, and not Flash like the others you mention. Your computer is using different fans and fan speeds for each implementation because it can hardware accelerate one and not the other. That is, it renders one primarily with the graphics card and one primarily with the processor.

The graphics card produces more heat and its cooling is usually louder than that of the processor. The variable fan speeds of the former are also often less granular in their default configuration, which would explain why your computer sounds like it's playing Crysis when it's actually just browsing YouTube.

Except both Flash and Chrome support hardware video acceleration on Macs... unless one of them has that feature turned off.

Or maybe Flash is just inefficient with hardware acceleration on Macs? That wouldn't surprise me, actually, given Flash's history of Mac support...

Smooth as silk whether SD or HD in Windows 7 FF 12 and Chrome 19. IE 9 also great though the HD took a very long time to buffer. Admittedly I also have a very reliable 40 meg fibre connection so that helps :).

Had a quick try at work with Ubuntu 10.04 FF, Chrome and Opera and it wasn't as slick, but on an overtaxed laptop on dodgy wifi it still did the job on all 3 which is all I can ask for really :)

Was a bit of a pain getting the video to actually run on my Galaxy S2, but once I got it playing it ran really quite nicely there as well (and that was over 3G)

As others have mentioned, there's some nasty compression on the HD version, but in the event that can be alleviated by the uploader (I guess we'll find out when you try with previous episodes) I'd say go for it!

f3u7pj.png

NONE of those buttons show up for me in Chrome..

Do you have a third party video plugin that takes over HTML5 video? The Divx web player will do that as well as a couple of others. Try going into your extensions and disabling anything like that.

Except both Flash and Chrome support hardware video acceleration on Macs... unless one of them has that feature turned off.

Doesn't matter. Hardware video acceleration can, and tends to, malfunction on its own.

Works very nicely for me...but only after I disabled the "Divx Webplayer Plus" Firefox extension. Before I did that, I just got a window with the VLC roadcone in the middle (?!), and it would play the sound but no picture.

Anyway, I disabled it and now it's going very nicely!

Playing around with it more...I can't seem to get HD in IE. When I click on "HD off," it switches to "HD on" and has a brief pause as though it were switching streams. However, when it starts playing again, it's clearly the same SD stream. Anyone else have this problem?

Playing around with it more...I can't seem to get HD in IE. When I click on "HD off," it switches to "HD on" and has a brief pause as though it were switching streams. However, when it starts playing again, it's clearly the same SD stream. Anyone else have this problem?

The two streams look similar on first glance due to the lowish bitrate for both. Look closer and you should be able to see a difference.

If it still looks exactly the same, then that's odd.

The two streams look similar on first glance due to the lowish bitrate for both. Look closer and you should be able to see a difference.

If it still looks exactly the same, then that's odd.

No, I went back and checked again. Not only do they look identical, but when I right-click and hit "save video as," the video files are identical (kooky.700.mp4). It's weird because in Firefox, both the webm and the ogv streams switch fine. Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't support mp4 (which is the format I'd need to watch the documentary on my TV).

I downloaded Chrome and strangely, it works perfectly there. So I guess I'm fine with it. It's a slight pain in the ass for me, but whatever. If it's better for most of the other users and for 2PP, then I'll deal.

Works well on MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz core 2 duo with Safari on MacOS X 10.6. HD works great without any buffering at the start or during playback, the fan does not go crazy as it does with other HD streaming video services, instant seeking, fullscreen works well, no problem to switch between SD and HD. It also works well on my iPod Touch. I am waiting for the Samsung TV app now...

However as already mentioned by others the HD quality is not great.

Works great for me (latest version of firefox, windows 7). Nice player

Sign in to follow this