Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

There is a fullscreen button

NONE of those buttons show up for me in Chrome..

Do you have a third party video plugin that takes over HTML5 video? The Divx web player will do that as well as a couple of others. Try going into your extensions and disabling anything like that.

I disabled the Divx web player, at which point the Quicktime player tried to handle the video, so I disabled that and now I get the interface from your screenshot, but I can't see the video. The audio plays, the player controls display, but the video doesn't show:

kooky.jpg

Firefox 12, windows 7 64-bit.

I'm going to uninstall the plugins completely and see if that helps.

EDIT: Yeah, uninstalling the DIVX web player completely works. Just disabling it doesn't work.

The two streams look similar on first glance due to the lowish bitrate for both. Look closer and you should be able to see a difference.

If it still looks exactly the same, then that's odd.

No, I went back and checked again. Not only do they look identical, but when I right-click and hit "save video as," the video files are identical (kooky.700.mp4). It's weird because in Firefox, both the webm and the ogv streams switch fine. Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't support mp4 (which is the format I'd need to watch the documentary on my TV).

I downloaded Chrome and strangely, it works perfectly there. So I guess I'm fine with it. It's a slight pain in the ass for me, but whatever. If it's better for most of the other users and for 2PP, then I'll deal.

Indeed, it fails to switch to HD for me in IE9 as well. Interesting.

No problems with Chrome, as previously mentioned.

Using Firefox, it does not seem to work for me right now, gonna go try Chrome.

EDIT: Yeah, uninstalling the DIVX web player completely works. Just disabling it doesn't work.

Odd, it worked for me. But you have to restart Firefox after disabling it.

Worked for a bit, then began to get choppy. Switched from HD to SD and it got better, then worse. I have a very fast connection, so it isn't that.

It works fine for me, using Firefox 12 and Windows XP. The HD feed is rather blurry, but that could be due to the source material.

Kubuntu 10, Firefox 10

Runs perfectly. I like the simplicity of the interface, and that you can "seek" to any point.

Thumbs up.

There is a fullscreen button

f3u7pj.png

NONE of those buttons show up for me in Chrome..

Do you have a third party video plugin that takes over HTML5 video? The Divx web player will do that as well as a couple of others. Try going into your extensions and disabling anything like that.

Definately have DivX.. i shall try that

It worked no problem for me! (In Chrome)

Only getting 80KB/s on my 50 meg connection. Other downloads are running at 1800KB/s(limited to half of my total speed). The issue exists in Opera 12 beta and IE9.

No fullscreen button in Opera 12 beta.

The slow speeds could be because I'm being sent to the Canadian server which may be overloaded:

http://cdn.redux.com/video/kooky/film/res720/kooky.1400.webm?tokenauth=1337847933_414fae9b2d8736bea7bb2a732a99809b

If someone could post a link to the US server I could verify if that is the problem(actually, you could try my link and see how fast you get it but I'd still like another to compare).

If this is what I can expect I vote for vimeo.

CDN does not stand for Canadian. It stands for Content Delivery Network.

The actual server that's being used should be the one with the best speed for your connection (which is the point of a CDN; it's made of multiple distributed servers). You can't tell what's actually being used from that URL though.

Perhaps you just got unlucky and got a server that was being slow or bogged down at the time.

Tip: if the server was in Canada, the URL would use .ca instead of .com

Hi, works well for me. Give it a go.

CDN does not stand for Canadian. It stands for Content Delivery Network.

The actual server that's being used should be the one with the best speed for your connection (which is the point of a CDN; it's made of multiple distributed servers). You can't tell what's actually being used from that URL though.

Perhaps you just got unlucky and got a server that was being slow or bogged down at the time.

Tip: if the server was in Canada, the URL would use .ca instead of .com

Thanks for the clarification although I have seen several websites use different subdomains for different locations(which is what confused me) eg.

http://uk.playstation.com/

http://us.playstation.com/

http://jp.playstation.com/

Using an anonymous US proxy I'm currently downloading at 3500 KB/s where my original download is running at 100 KB/s(didn't stop it before applying proxy). I then stopped and resumed my original download and am downloading at 3500 KB/s, turning off the proxy then stop/resume I'm back to 100 KB/s.

I can live without full screen as I can download the video and my media player can play it in full screen.

So until they fix their load balancing issue my vote remains with vimeo. I would rather not wait 4 hours for something that should be downloaded in 4 minutes.

For anyone who can troubleshoot this I'm sure my IP was recorded while posting here and the proxy I used was 216.155.139.115:3128 (the use of which is blocked by this forum).

Edit: It seems time of day makes no difference.

1 am - 250 KB/s

10:21 am - 375 KB/s

4 pm - 205 KB/s

9 pm - 100 KB/s

I just watch he first five minutes of the movie with HD on and it all loaded instantly.

Everything worked perfectly with my high end system.

Specs:

I am using the latest Safari on my 27 inch iMac which has 8 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 memory.

OS is Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

My processor is a 3.1 GHz Intel i5.

My Graphics card is one of the best: AMD Radeon HD 6970m with 2 GB of graphics memory.

I hope this information helps.

And, by the way, I think that the movie itself is going to be very fun to watch. :)

(Edit: also all the buttons and functionality are there with no slow down of movie in the process. )

Works perfectly in Chrome for me (Windows 7), no trouble getting started, no choppiness, no issues with vanishing controls or HD.

Worked perfectly for me in Waterfox 10.0.2 (64-bit firefox) and Windows 7. Was almost no buffer delay and really smooth to switch between HD/SD. Looked good as well!

Video was stuttering for me with Pale Moon 3.6.31 (optimized FF)/Windows XP with SP3. Also, fullscreen didn't work.

Edit: as per suggestion below, my location/internet connection: Estonia/20Mbit fiber optic

Just a thought: feedback regarding performance/playback will be more meaningful if you include what part of the world you're in and what type/speed of internet connection you have (ADSL/Cable/Fibre/etc).

Just in case their CDN has no presence in certain countries, and to help narrow down problems with the client side connection.

I started the movie in HD on my company's Internet connection (30Mbit Up/30Mbit Down) using Safari 5.1.7 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 -- This was on a MacBook Pro 2Ghz Core i7 with 8GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 6490M (256MB of video RAM). I went straight to turning HD on, and the buffer took a little longer than what I was expecting (~20 seconds!). I'm assuming the HD stream was actually 720p, because when I full-screened it on my Samsung 1920x1200 LED monitor, there was quite a bit of artifacting. I watched for about 10 minutes straight to give the video server time to accommodate my network connection, as streaming always seems to be a slow-start mechanism. Artifacting remained. The sound quality was excellent, however.

Video: 7/10

Audio: 9/10

Disclaimer: I'm not a video zealot, but I know my 1080p's and q's.

Works perfectly for me in Chrome. Started playing almost instantly with no buffering.

Also want to add that Kooky is an awesome movie, and you should purchase it off Amazon instant video to support the makers if you enjoyed it. It is truly amazing what they were able to do with a bunch of puppets and no special effects. Takes me back to the good old days of Dark Crystal and Fraggle Rock ;).

I started the movie in HD on my company's Internet connection (30Mbit Up/30Mbit Down) using Safari 5.1.7 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 -- This was on a MacBook Pro 2Ghz Core i7 with 8GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 6490M (256MB of video RAM). I went straight to turning HD on, and the buffer took a little longer than what I was expecting (~20 seconds!). I'm assuming the HD stream was actually 720p, because when I full-screened it on my Samsung 1920x1200 LED monitor, there was quite a bit of artifacting. I watched for about 10 minutes straight to give the video server time to accommodate my network connection, as streaming always seems to be a slow-start mechanism. Artifacting remained. The sound quality was excellent, however.

Video: 7/10

Audio: 9/10

Disclaimer: I'm not a video zealot, but I know my 1080p's and q's.

Just a head's up: the DFA updates so far have all been in 720p (apparently the downloadable version for $30+ tiers later on will be 1080p). It's just that Vimeo uses a high bitrate and a good compression method (such as 2-pass or CRF) to keep it looking really sharp.

On the other hand, the streaming Kooky movie is compressed using x264 single pass ABR at either 700 or 1400 kbps (for 480 SD or 720 HD, on browsers that support h264 decoding). As I mentioned in my first post here, that's somewhat low quality for live action, and the use of ABR doesn't help.

Works fine for me with Mac OsX Lion and latest safari. And the movie itself was wonderful :D

Not too much of HD though.. expected better quality when HD was on.

Tried running it on Chrome 19 on my 64-bit Vista and none of the overlayer stuff is showing up(like the HD options, or even to pause/play). It takes forever to load up, and continually buffers every few seconds. Also it's loading up through DivX for some reason.

Running it on Firefox(V12) is working fine however. No problems to report.

Tried running it on Chrome 19 on my 64-bit Vista and none of the overlayer stuff is showing up(like the HD options, or even to pause/play). It takes forever to load up, and continually buffers every few seconds. Also it's loading up through DivX for some reason.

Read others having problems with DivX in Chrome, uninstalled it and now it's saying it needs the DivX plug-in to work. The overlay is now there, however it only plays the sound without the video.

Read others having problems with DivX in Chrome, uninstalled it and now it's saying it needs the DivX plug-in to work. The overlay is now there, however it only plays the sound without the video.

1. Check your extensions and make sure that the DivX web player extension is disabled or uninstalled (it should be the thing that's replacing <video> with the DivX <object> embed).

2. Try restarting your browser.

Another Linux user checking in.

Ubuntu 12.04 64Bit with Nvidia graphics, no problem in either SD or HD on Chrome 19.0.1084.46 and Firefox 12.0.

No problems for me (Chrome, Windows 7 64-bit). Buffering is very fast, so I actually like this video player more than Vimeo.

I find HTML5 video with no toggle option for Flash or even a fallback to Flash very unprofessional. Technically I have a browser that supports it (though many people don't - and as previously noted especially not at work due to restrictions), but it's Chrome dev-channel, which currently has a bug that prevents it from exiting out from fullscreen.

I also foresee problems if you as you mentioned want to add subtitles; generally experience learns us that any feature of HTML gets implemented in a different way in different browsers, and I expect video subtitles to be equally problematic as a cross-browser feature. Going flash (or both Flash and HTML5, toggleable) is a much safer route, imho.

Sign in to follow this