Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

Hold on a sec... I said it worked before... in Chrome!

It does stream in Internet explorer 9 here, but there is no full screen button when I play it IE9.

So no, cannot use full screen in IE9.

On the other hand, the streaming Kooky movie is compressed using x264 single pass ABR at either 700 or 1400 kbps (for 480 SD or 720 HD, on browsers that support h264 decoding). As I mentioned in my first post here, that's somewhat low quality for live action, and the use of ABR doesn't help.

Thanks for looking into it. I was wondering about that. And I quite agree ABR doesn't help: I'm okay with the low bitrate -- not everyone has the resources of Google, after all -- but why the funky encoding?

This makes me a bit worried about the final digital download of the documentary, as I'd hate to see it go through Kooky's compression routine (regardless of resolution) before reaching me.

Thought I'd cut together JelDeRebel's comparison shot into a single gif:

comparison.gif

Handy, but I had to do some sloppy scaling (enlarged the 'original' frame to match the Kooky one), and the gif compression takes its toll, so obviously this isn't the most accurate of comparisons.

It's worth noting that this is apparently a still scene, which is less trying for any encoder. I expect the difference would be larger in moving scenes, depending on how well the original holds up in those. Of course, the Kooky video could be sourced from an entirely different file, but given the file name, I doubt it.

Edit: I should emphasize how much detail is lost in bringing you that gif, though, especially the frame from the original. It was first downscaled to match JDR's VLC window as he played it, then compressed in jpg form for the screenshot, then upscaled by me for the swap comparison, then finally reduced to a gif friendly 256 colours. ;)

Big thanks to everyone for really putting this service through it's paces. Redux has been reading the posts and they are going to see what they can do to meet quality concerns. Keep it coming!

On the other hand, the streaming Kooky movie is compressed using x264 single pass ABR at either 700 or 1400 kbps (for 480 SD or 720 HD, on browsers that support h264 decoding). As I mentioned in my first post here, that's somewhat low quality for live action, and the use of ABR doesn't help.

Thanks for looking into it. I was wondering about that. And I quite agree ABR doesn't help: I'm okay with the low bitrate -- not everyone has the resources of Google, after all -- but why the funky encoding?

This makes me a bit worried about the final digital download of the documentary, as I'd hate to see it go through Kooky's compression routine (regardless of resolution) before reaching me.

We'll be doing the compression for the DL copies on our end, it'll be fine.

Great to hear! :)

Out of interest, what software and settings will you be using for them? Something worth adding to the equipment catalog thread, perhaps?

Hd on a pretty recent laptop was fine, if a little on the soft side. It was nice to be able to skip the video at will.

Trying in a Galaxy SII phone, though, was a no-go. Vimeo worked fine there.

Out of interest, what software and settings will you be using for them? Something worth adding to the equipment catalog thread, perhaps?

Running it through Compressor in the FCP work flow. We havent settled on settings yet, but we'll be staying close to our source footage. File size will run around 10gb per hour of video.

maybe this is just my computer or browser (firefox) but i can seem to get the web site to load. could just be all the heavy double fine traffic.

Will the bluray/dvd that come with the $100+ boxed copy be region free? I can't imagine you shipping NTSC copies to Europe.

player works fine on Win7 64bit / FF12, but position slider is just awkward, especially, on lenghty clips like this movie.

Will the bluray/dvd that come with the $100+ boxed copy be region free? I can't imagine you shipping NTSC copies to Europe.

region free.

Running it through Compressor in the FCP work flow. We havent settled on settings yet, but we'll be staying close to our source footage. File size will run around 10gb per hour of video.

That's about 22 MB/s. Wow, that really is close to the maximum bitrate for many consumer 1080p camcorders.

I like it. It scales well on my 2560x1600 while in full screen. Seems to preload extremely well on my connection and had loaded the entire film when I was about 1/3rd of the way in. Was also able to skip around the movie with minimal load time which is appreciated as I hate to wait for video to catch up with me.

It works great on my Win 7 desktop in Chrome. HD, SD, and seeking are all fine.

On my lubuntu 12.04 netbook in Chromium 18.0.1025.151 results were less good. I can hit play and it goes just fine but it doesn't resume playing when I try to skip ahead. It also fails to load when I try switching to HD. This old hardware won't play the HD video well, but it should at least load it.

Works for me in Windows XP on Chrome and Firefox, but not in IE8 ("Your browser doesn't support HTML5 video"). I can't upgrade to IE9 since it doesn't support XP.

win 7 64bit firefox.

doesnt seem to look as hd as the previous DF updates. a bit unsharp, not crisp. maybe its the source material???

OS X Lion user here.

It works great on Safari. It does take a little longer than Vimeo/YouTube to begin playing/buffering at the beginning, but once it starts it works wonderfully.

Watched in HD on Firefox 12. Seemed to be a lot of compression artifacting and a couple spots where there was odd pink pixelization.

It worked very well here. Great picture quality (SD and HD), very little delay, no buffering problems.

Working fine for me (Win7 64bit, 16Mb/s internet). Just a little bit annoying to have no full screen switch (or at least I didn't find it).

Works fine (Win 7, Fx 12.0, too) and the only weird behaviour is that my browser's window size is changed when leaving full screen mode (I have it snapped vertically before, but it ends up with a smaller window).

The quality seems ok, but I'll have to check the comparison between this and Vimeo with the same DFA video. For Kooky, it's noticably blurrier than my downloaded copy, but not too bad (I don't know why the colors are different).

kookyreduxmp4.jpg

If it means we get subtitles, I'm all for it. :)

plays fine for me as well, though id like to see a higher bitrate. Its a bit blocky compared to vimeo HD videos imo...

Pretty much the same typical concerns others have raised (mainly video quality and encoding), but other then that, doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere within the past nine pages, but for the $30 dollar backers, will we get the video in DRM free downloadable files as well?

No full screen for me. I did not find the button to load the subtitles.

Win7-64bit + IE9

Sin título.png

578d00220930b_Sinttulo.png.b18f3c34ff436

The missing full screen button appears to be an issue with the HTML5 video player. It works in Chrome, but does not in IE9. Perhaps the latter doesn't support full screen HTML5 video? In Firefox I get the flash player – no problem there.

Sign in to follow this