Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sledge Hammer

SEGA? Is this true? [SEGA is not connected to DFA]

Ive just read on joystiq.com that SEGA may be the publisher for DFA?

Is this true?

If yes what will be the role of SEGA?

[EDIT: For anyone just skimming this thread, no, The Cave is being published by SEGA and is totally unrelated to DFA. -DF Chris Remo]

Ive just read on joystiq.com that SEGA may be the publisher for DFA?

Is this true?

If yes what will be the role of SEGA?

I found the article you're talking about. The game it looks like they're referring to is a secret project that Ron Gilbert and a chunk of Double Fine have been working on since before DFA, and the big reveal is supposedly going to happen on Thursday. They are two different games, but people seem to get mixed up and think that Ron's secret upcoming game is DFA.

Oh thanks!

Im somewhat relieved.

Well, then Im looking forward to the announcement and wish Ron all the best with this Project!

Edit:

Just read the article again, and they even say its not THE DFA, well next time I should read more carefully, but my excuse is I just got out of bed and are still half asleep ;-)

I have to say that Sega being the all-but-confirmed publisher surprised me. I guess I'm still not used to seeing Sega publish western games, even though they've been doing it for quite a few years now. My mental image of Sega is still firmly rooted in the 90s.

I hope they green-lit a PC version of the game, or else I'll be left out of the fun again.

I have to say that Sega being the all-but-confirmed publisher surprised me. I guess I'm still not used to seeing Sega publish western games, even though they've been doing it for quite a few years now. My mental image of Sega is still firmly rooted in the 90s.

Fun fact: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was developed in the USA.

Fun fact: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was developed in the USA.

That's impossible. There are no free-roaming hedgehogs in the USA. How could they make motion capture for the game?

i feel like we could use a giant stickied post titled "DFA != secret ron gilbert project"

i suppose it doesnt help that neither has a name yet... sigh.

I truly hope there is a Mac version. It seems interesting, and Ron seems to be a mac guy, tweeting stuff like "Is Torchlight 2 for mac? If not I may need to Torchlight somebody"

And yeah, it does feel odd that SEGA is doing it...

There's been a lot of confusion on this. Ron Gilbert was working on a game with Doublefine before the DFA Kickstarter was announced. It is it's own game it's called The Cave and was just recently picked up by Sega. The DFA game is a separate game and wasn't picked up by Sega, that was what the Kickstarter was for :)

Yes, as noted, The Cave is totally unrelated to DFA! The Cave has been in development for about a year, long before the DFA Kickstarter.

They should really take out the "An adventure game by Double Fine and Ron Gilbert" at the end. That is what is causing all this confusion.

They should really take out the "An adventure game by Double Fine and Ron Gilbert" at the end. That is what is causing all this confusion.

But it is that!

DFA is being led by Tim, and The Cave is being led by Ron.

i nearly had a heart attack when i saw the cave ad

first before i started it i thought

nice a short ad with some art from the concept stuff

but then it was realy high detail and i was like ok good art team and it went on and on and did more and more and had way to much complexity and i was like WTF there is no why in hell that was made in this time....

see im in college for game design and development (graduating soon) and i was about to lose faith in my abiltes as if you guy's went from concept art to that in a week i would seriously need to consider a different job.

so i came on here to conferm my suspison that it was not DFA

THANK YOU for not being that good

But it is that!

Out of interest, did DFA's success help the Cave in any way, if only by providing a very clear demonstration that there's a strong appetite for adventure games out there?

It is really confusing to have Double Fine and Double Fine Action with the same logo and everything but working on 2 different games.

But it is that!

Out of interest, did DFA's success help the Cave in any way, if only by providing a very clear demonstration that there's a strong appetite for adventure games out there?

Tough to say! You'd have to ask Sega, I guess! :)

It is really confusing to have Double Fine and Double Fine Action with the same logo and everything but working on 2 different games.

That's our company's logo, though! Each of our games actually has a custom logo made for the game. DFA's logo is is the two-headed baby with aviator goggles soaring through the sky, while The Cave's logo is the fossilized remains of the two-headed baby buried in the ground.

But it is that!

Yes but obviously it's not an adventure game from a genre point of view.

"An adventurous jump and run by Double Fine and Ron Gilbert" and no one would have an issue here.

But it is that!

"An adventurous jump and run by Double Fine and Ron Gilbert" and no one would have an issue here.

Have you played it yet?

From what I've heard with the way puzzles are handled, it sounds a lot like an adventure game to me.

But it is that!

Have you played it yet?

From what I've heard with the way puzzles are handled, it sounds a lot like an adventure game to me.

Just look at the trailer! It's obviously as much an Adventure as Limbo is (and Ron and Tim were talking about Limbo in one of the Kickstarter videos and as far as I recall they did not classify it as Adventure, even though it has puzzles in it). IMO there's no doubt that it's NOT an Adventure. And even the official description for the german Sega Youtube Channel for example describes it as Jump n' Run. It's obviously a careless use of words in the video, that led to some confusion. No more no less. But I'm sure it's going to be a great game.

But it is that!

Have you played it yet?

Just look at the trailer! It's obviously as much an Adventure as Limbo is (and Ron and Tim were talking about Limbo in one of the Kickstarter videos and as far as I recall they did not classify it as Adventure, even though it has puzzles in it). IMO there's no doubt that it's NOT an Adventure. And even the official description for the german Sega Youtube Channel for example describes it as Jump n' Run. It's obviously a careless use of words in the video, that led to some confusion. No more no less. But I'm sure it's going to be a great game.

Have you read any of the previews? Which talk about all the adventure style inventory/environment puzzles that the game has? It may be your opinion that it's not an adventure, but it seems your opinion is rather uninformed. Also, the only thing you can possibly tell from that trailer is that there is some jumping, and some running. Aren't adventure games allowed those, now?

Additionally, it is not simply a 'careless use of words', Ron and people actually working on the game who know what it is like, are describing it as an adventure game and stand by that description, and it's actually a little dismissive of them to say 'no, you're wrong' based on a little teaser trailer.

In any case, just to point out: there is a whole forum for The Cave now, where this sort of discussion is taking place, so let's move it there. (would it be better if this thread was either moved or locked now?)

Okay, now I read previews but it doesn't change the impression I had from the trailer! Jump and Run with Adventure elements and it seems heavily inspired by Limbo. Again... for me it's an Adventurous Jump n' Run and not much more. Doesn't change the fact that I'm looking forward to trying this game.

It was never confusing to me but then again I’ve been following information released about both games for awhile now.

The use of the word Adventure is unfortunate, whether intentional or not there was confusion related to this game since the Kickstarter campaign was still in progress, not sure if this has benefited or hurt either game on the public’s eye so far.

The Cave is not an adventure game, as you can determine by the trailer, nor it was promised as one, I remember some time ago before the Kickstarter project, I think Ron was asked about it and he said something about it having ‘adventure elements’ but that is not an adventure game (can’t link a source but you can probably look it up).

Now you can call it a Fluffy Bunny Experience if you want or ‘Adventure’ for marketing reasons, that won’t magically change it to one, and I’m pretty sure Sega handled that video (let us know if otherwise).

Also and this is very important, labeling this game as a traditional adventure (regardless of what it is) hurts the image of this project for a simple reason. If Sega (or other Publishers) are up to funding these games why did you ask for our money for this one? Wasn’t the “Publishers will laugh at us” one of the hooks?

And is still is, because Sega wasn’t up to funding traditional adventure games a year ago, and most likely is still not up to it now (not to mention that Sega is not in the best financial situation right now) but as you can see if you make that connection the question can be raised and we don’t really need that.

As far as The Cave itself goes it looks great so far, I just can’t understand why is getting released in 2013 if is already being worked on for a year (and from the trailer it looked pretty far along) unless there’s some other market related reason of course.

I believe the term 'platformer' comes to mind with The Cave. DFA is a point and click 'adventure' game. The trouble with the word adventure though is most games ARE adventures. So I think DFA comes down to a more point and click puzzle game. While The Cave is a puzzle platformer. Though these are just my observations as I haven't been following The Cave that close.

Okay, now I read previews but it doesn't change the impression I had from the trailer! Jump and Run with Adventure elements and it seems heavily inspired by Limbo. Again... for me it's an Adventurous Jump n' Run and not much more. Doesn't change the fact that I'm looking forward to trying this game.

I don't get where you're getting Limbo from. Sure, Ron has said in the past that he really likes the game, but that's about it. So far with The Cave, we've seen no evidence of the physics puzzles (which were a big part of Limbo), plenty of evidence of inventory puzzles (of which there are none in Limbo), character switching puzzles (which have nothing to do with Limbo) and that's about it. Unless you count that there is running and jumping in both games, but I don't think that's quite enough to start calling it 'heavily inspired'.

It's obviously inspired by weasels, though.

Sign in to follow this