Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Norbert

POLL: How many adventure games have you played at least half-way through?

So... about how many adventure games have you folks played at least half-way through?

[Edit: To clarify, by "lots of Sierra games", for example, I mean "lots of them were Sierra games".]

The way this poll is sub-divided is absolutely ponderous and really makes the results meaningless and impossible to interpret.

I've probably played like 30 or 40 adventure games most of the way through, including a lot of Sierra and Lucas stuff, but also almost all of Access' stuff, Cyan's stuff, some Infocom stuff and a lot of others.

The way this poll is sub-divided is absolutely ponderous and really makes the results meaningless and impossible to interpret.

I agree. This type of thing is more suited to a multiple-question survey than a poll.

Oh, I voted wrong. I thought the question meant "how many have you played halfway through and not finished". Doh.

I don't think I could accurately count right now.. I'll forget a lot of games. On the whole, though, if I got my hands on an adventure game I made an effort to finish it, back in the day. There are some exceptions. One problem with this question, though, is... how do we know if we are more or less than half-way through a game if we haven't finished it?

I never finished the Discworlds (1&2 at least) as I never owned copies and played them with a friend. Been meaning to rectify that for years as I really liked what I played. I never finished Gobliiins (the third one). I never finished Lure of the Temptress, Future Wars or Dragonsphere, because it was only fairly recently that I got a hold of them (when they were released for free) and I've been pretty busy. Also, being free and unexpected acquisitions, I don't have the same drive to invest time in them. I'm yet to finish Botanicula because I just haven't gotten around to it. There are numerous Police Quest and Space Quest games which I've seen played or played only a little bit of, as I never owned any of them.

Other than that, I played and finished most Sierra adventures and all LucasArts ones except for Zak McKracken (now that I think about it... how the heck did I let that happen??). Many other point and clicks from many other developers as well. I um... really liked adventure games. I also had some memorable experiences playing through a handful of text adventures, and maybe two or three first person adventures. I've never finished a Myst game, but again, I never owned them when I was younger. I now have them all in my Steam account after a sale and I'm wondering if I'll ever get around to playing through them. That about covers it.

Hmm, if I count individual episodes in an episodic series each as one game, probably 101-200, otherwise probably 51-100.

To clarify, by "lots of Sierra games", for example, I mean "lots of them were Sierra games".

I've added that clarification to my first post in this thread.

To clarify, by "lots of Sierra games", for example, I mean "lots of them were Sierra games".

I've added that clarification to my first post in this thread.

But if that number is like 30 or 40, obviously it's going to be a lot of Lucas, Sierra AND others. It doesn't make sense to do the poll that way.

But if that number is like 30 or 40, obviously it's going to be a lot of Lucas, Sierra AND others. It doesn't make sense to do the poll that way.

I agree with Frogacuda.

This is probably the least helpful poll I've ever seen.

Although I usually hate a million different polls on forums, this one really should have been split up into atleast 3 different polls

maybe something like this:

POLL #1

How many adventure games have you played?

2-5

6-10

11-20

21-30

31-40

41-50

51-100

over 100

POLL #2 (this one should probably be expanded upon with more companies but you get the picture)

Do you play mostly Sierra or LucasArts games?

Sierra

LucasArts

other

Poll #3

Do you play mostly 2D or 3D adventure games?

2D

3D

Smellivision

But as it is now the options in this poll are too convoluted so the data is pretty much meaningless

I have no idea what you are all talking about.

It's like you're living in a different universe.

Maybe it's because of that first reply, that it set the tone and people are used to +1 things.

I mean, what the hell are you guys talking about?

The poll asks how many adventure games you've played at least half-way through.

That question is fine.

And the answers are fine too, because they cover everything from 0 to over 400.

Just because the poll asks you an additional question after you've picked a number (or range) doesn't make the poll meaningless or impossible to interpret.

In fact, I did a fine job there.

If you pick 1, you can pick one of the games by Tim and/or Ron or "another game".

If you pick 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6-10, you can pick whether or not all these games were by Tim and/or Ron.

If you pick 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 or 41-50, you can pick whether lots of these games are from Sierra, LucasArts, or both, or when non of these apply whether the games are mostly/all 2D, 3D, text, or a mix of those.

If you pick 51-100, 101-200, 201-400 or over 400, you can pick whether the games are mostly 2D, 3D, text, or a mix of those.

This poll is fine; not meaningless and especially not impossible to interpret.

Maybe it's because of that first reply, that it set the tone and people are used to +1 things.

That question is fine.

Just because the poll asks you an additional question after you've picked a number (or range) doesn't make the poll meaningless or impossible to interpret.

If you pick 1, you can pick one of the games by Tim and/or Ron or "another game".

If you pick 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6-10, you can pick whether or not all these games were by Tim and/or Ron.

If you pick 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 or 41-50, you can pick whether lots of these games are from Sierra, LucasArts, or both, or when non of these apply whether the games are mostly/all 2D, 3D, text, or a mix of those.

If you pick 51-100, 101-200, 201-400 or over 400, you can pick whether the games are mostly 2D, 3D, text, or a mix of those.

+1 ;)

That question is fine.

Just because it is possible to drive a screw with a hammer does not mean it's the proper way to do it.

The problem is, as DOUGLAS said, you are asking 3 questions. Giving tons of options that cover all the permutations of these 3 questions makes the poll ridiculously long and unclear.

Most of the people seeing all the ummm... 50? possibilities will just ignore it.

I know this forum does not support the features we need to ask questions like that properly but, yeah, well, that's just, like, this forum, man.

If we want to gather serious data, we need a serious survey. Simple. Doing it your way is a waste of energy.

Whats the use in finding out the 10 different types of people who've only played one adventure ever? (or exactly 3?)

For starters, those 10 should be condensed into "have you played through only 1 adventure game ever?" /end

Its pretty much like if you had answers like "1-5 sierra games and 6-10 lucas games and 7-13 other" or "1-5 lucas and exactly 3 sierra games." It does not matter. Unless the purpose of this poll was to find the one person on earth who has played zack mckracken and no other adventures.

I think what you want is two separate polls (maybe even 3). One for how many adventure games people have played. One for the concentration of the publisher/developers for games theyv played. And maybe a third for the concentration of the type of adventures they play.

Norbert,

There's nothing necessarily wrong with how you did the poll, but for the sample size you're likely to get, you've divided the possible answers into so many specific discrete categories that you're unlikely to get a good parsable set of data. There are just too many very minor differences between all these different responses. You're also comparing all sorts of different qualifiers depending on the different quantity divisions--you probably want to choose qualifiers that can be directly compares in big meaningful blocks so you'll end up with data that shows stronger trends and will group people into clear categories.

@DF Chris Remo

Do you think it would be possible to make a serious survey among backers? In my opinion it would be incredibly interesting but to do it right we would need your help.

Backers could organise the questionnaire and analyze the results, you would help us reach all the population. I know there would be some privacy issues but we have all year to find good solutions.

I tried to raise this idea in the first days of the forum but now the topic is buried somewhere deep. Anyway I think there would be a decent group of backers willing to get involved in a project like that.

[...], but for the sample size you're likely to get, you've divided the possible answers into so many specific discrete categories that you're unlikely to get a good parsable set of data.

It's just a poll in a forum board.

I don't plan to use the results in any way, other than to quickly look through them now and then.

I too think a serious survey among backers could be interesting.

A couple of days after the Kickstarter campaign had ended, I've e-mailed Tim and suggested sending out a questionnaire to all the backers.

It could have a lot of historical significance and I'm simply very curious who backed this project and why.

Since no questionnaire was sent to the backers, I decided to start several polls on this forum.

(Like what graphics people like, the location/gender/age of backers, what OS'es they use, why they backed the project, and so on.)

Back then, in March, it was still possible to get about a thousand votes per poll.

The sample size has dropped like a brick.

Too many threads pushing away other threads, not enough boards, impossible to keep track of things.

Still no changes in that department, after months.

Probably one of the reasons some people left the forum.

It is the reason why I'm going to leave the forum.

I wish you all the best, I won't be back.

Norbert,

I guess what I was getting at is simply that I think many people may find your survey overwhelming--there are a lot of options there! I apologize for causing offense.

@DF Chris Remo

Do you think it would be possible to make a serious survey among backers? In my opinion it would be incredibly interesting but to do it right we would need your help.

Backers could organise the questionnaire and analyze the results, you would help us reach all the population. I know there would be some privacy issues but we have all year to find good solutions.

I tried to raise this idea in the first days of the forum but now the topic is buried somewhere deep. Anyway I think there would be a decent group of backers willing to get involved in a project like that.

Kickstarter actually doesn't allow project creators to conduct surveys that are oriented towards marketing or general data gathering--you are only allowed to send out the backer surveys that directly solicit information required to fulfill the rewards.

That's not to say we couldn't attempt to do a comprehensive survey through an external service like SurveyMonkey--it's an interesting thing to consider!

ZERO

At least I think so. I may have got over halfway through an old PS2 copy of Escape From Monkey Island.

I've played the beginnings of a lot of adventure games. I fondly remember spending a few hours with Day of the Tentacle and GameFaqs a couple of years back.

But that, for me, is the problem; I have a tiny attention span, and as soon as I hit a puzzle, I go straight to GameFaqs, or google. I'm not accustomed to this whole "mull over the puzzle in your head for three days before you finally think EUREKA!" thing. I suppose part of the reason for this is because I want to be in control of how I consume entertainment - I want to spend 3 hours playing Skyrim, I don't want to spend 1 hour playing Skyrim and a further 2 hours thinking about playing Skyrim. Like, I set aside those three hours to be entertained. With a book, I can read it until I put it down. With a game, I can carry on playing until I choose to stop. With an adventure game, I play for a while, then hit a wall - and I'm just so unaccustomed to that.

If you're wondering why I'm here, I backed for the documentary. Tim Schafer is a funny man.

I was going to answer this but that poll hurt my head.

Might shake it off and have another run at it later. Fingers crossed.

@DF Chris Remo

Kickstarter actually doesn't allow project creators to conduct surveys that are oriented towards marketing or general data gathering--you are only allowed to send out the backer surveys that directly solicit information required to fulfill the rewards.

That's not to say we couldn't attempt to do a comprehensive survey through an external service like SurveyMonkey--it's an interesting thing to consider!

I didn't know that about kickstarter. I'm glad to see you don't reject the general idea in the first place. Thanks!

Tallied them up. I'm probably missing a couple, but I got 51 games (including a couple of freeware AGS games that are of a decent length and Telltale seasons as one game). 11 of them are LucasArts, 9 of them Sierra.

Let's see...

Off the top of my head, graphical adventure games I've finished include:

MI1, MI2, MI3, MI4, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, The Dig, Loom, KQ1, KQ2, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Syberia, Syberia 2, Sam & Max Season 1, 2, and 3, Tales of MI, Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Back to the Future, several of the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes ones.

Plus a bunch of text adventures (both older Infocom ones and newer fan made ones like Anchorhead and Photopia)

Ones that I've started and have yet to finish:

Gabriel Knight, The Last Express

Plus I'm probably forgetting a few

Sign in to follow this